Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Euro 2016 Qualifiers

Read 26990 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Euro 2016 Qualifiers
      Reply #69: Sep 04, 2015 03:47:05 am
      Well, so basically after finishing 3rd at the World Cup it looks like my country Netherlands won't even qualify for Euro 2016. Qualifiers have been just terrible. Today played Iceland at home and really had to win as we're 3rd in our group behind Iceland and Czech Republic. First set back, Robben had to go off early because of an injury again, which will also will keep him out of the next game. Then Martins Indi makes a stupid foul and gets send off with red. Then Van der Wiel causes a stupid penalty, which Iceland score.  And so another loss.

Wow that's outrageous.

When was the last time the Netherlands failed to qualify for a major tournament?
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #70: Sep 04, 2015 07:37:36 am
      I can't seem to remember a time when Netherlands and Czech Republic were not in the same group in either Euro or WC Qualifiers. It's F***ing uncanny.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,393 posts | 3397 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #71: Sep 04, 2015 07:50:24 am
      Well, so basically after finishing 3rd at the World Cup it looks like my country Netherlands won't even qualify for Euro 2016. Qualifiers have been just terrible. Today played Iceland at home and really had to win as we're 3rd in our group behind Iceland and Czech Republic. First set back, Robben had to go off early because of an injury again, which will also will keep him out of the next game. Then Martins Indi makes a stupid foul and gets send off with red. Then Van der Wiel causes a stupid penalty, which Iceland score.  And so another loss.

saw the game and to be fair the Dutch were better with 10 than with 11 but taking huntelaar off and leaving van persie etc and ldj on the bench made no sense at all, thought things would pick up after the hugely overrated hiddink left but blind seems pretty clueless as well.
      Bier
      Reply #72: Sep 04, 2015 10:11:42 am
      To put it in perspective. Untill last night my country hadn't lost a Euro qualification game at home in 52 years.

Wow that's outrageous.

When was the last time the Netherlands failed to qualify for a major tournament?

Actually not that long ago, World Cup 2002. Which was also pretty disastrous considering the team we had.

saw the game and to be fair the Dutch were better with 10 than with 11 but taking huntelaar off and leaving van persie etc and ldj on the bench made no sense at all, thought things would pick up after the hugely overrated hiddink left but blind seems pretty clueless as well.

Yeah, he's heavily criticised in my country by the media for the substitions. It sucked Robben got injured and he had already used that substitution for Narsingh. But Narsingh is pretty useless unless you have like a striker that can head the ball in, as he's the kind that runs on the outside and puts crosses in for the striker. So it didn't make sense to take Huntelaar off. Although I also think he messed up by not calling Jermain Lens up in the first place, he should've come on instead of Narsingh and would've looked much better. But yeah, what's inexcusable is him using his last substitution on Promes. But from the post match interview it was apparent that Blind wanted to go for a draw after Martins Indi was send off. I think he should've taken more risk and go for the win.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #73: Sep 04, 2015 10:51:18 am
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #74: Sep 04, 2015 11:02:17 am

No worries, even if you finish third you'll go through play off. Whit change of format qualifications become not so important. They killed Euro championship whit extending it to 24 teams. Whit 16 teams it was most quality tournament in the world. Harder then world cup to win in my opinion and they f...ed it.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,393 posts | 3397 
      Reply #75: Sep 04, 2015 11:40:18 am

i hope your ambitions aren't that low
      « Last Edit: Sep 04, 2015 10:18:37 pm by FATKOPITE10 »
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,345 posts | 1620 
      Reply #76: Sep 04, 2015 05:37:23 pm
      Sorry to hear, my friend!!!

In happier news, my Country(Wales) is on the brink of qualifying after beating Cyprus :D Have tickets to watch our next game at home vs Israel on Sunday, can't wait!!!!!!!!
      Should be a cracking atmosphere bud lets hope we get the win eh .
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #77: Sep 04, 2015 09:59:21 pm
      i hope your ambitions are that low

Not my ambitions; the ambitions of the Welsh.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,393 posts | 3397 
      Reply #78: Sep 04, 2015 10:17:39 pm
      Not my ambitions; the ambitions of the Welsh.

fair enough and it should have said aren't that low.

am i the only one worried about a 24 team euros being pretty weak until the knockout stages ?
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #79: Sep 05, 2015 09:21:15 am
      Ireland back in the hunt for a top two place again. Not likely though, I think we'll struggle to beat Georgia at home, Germany will tank us in Dublin again, and beating Poland away is a big ask.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #80: Sep 05, 2015 11:06:04 am
      To put it in perspective. Untill last night my country hadn't lost a Euro qualification game at home in 52 years.

Actually not that long ago, World Cup 2002. Which was also pretty disastrous considering the team we had.

Yeah, he's heavily criticised in my country by the media for the substitions. It sucked Robben got injured and he had already used that substitution for Narsingh. But Narsingh is pretty useless unless you have like a striker that can head the ball in, as he's the kind that runs on the outside and puts crosses in for the striker. So it didn't make sense to take Huntelaar off. Although I also think he messed up by not calling Jermain Lens up in the first place, he should've come on instead of Narsingh and would've looked much better. But yeah, what's inexcusable is him using his last substitution on Promes. But from the post match interview it was apparent that Blind wanted to go for a draw after Martins Indi was send off. I think he should've taken more risk and go for the win.
      Ah yes geez time does fly it was the Sth Korea Japan World Cup..

Well looking at the other teams that will be in the third playoff should not be a problem for Netherlands
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #81: Sep 05, 2015 04:48:19 pm
      How can people celebrate this scoring record of Rooney's when he disappears against the likes of Spain and Brazil yet shows up against San Marino, Andorra and Lichtenstein.

Pundits going on about how he's carried the national team is bullshit. People who carry teams show up when they're most needed and that's when Rooney goes missing. I despise the Shrek looking f**ker.
      DanMann

• 5,723 posts | 880 
      Reply #82: Sep 05, 2015 05:24:50 pm
      How can people celebrate this scoring record of Rooney's when he disappears against the likes of Spain and Brazil yet shows up against San Marino, Andorra and Lichtenstein.

Pundits going on about how he's carried the national team is bullshit. People who carry teams show up when they're most needed and that's when Rooney goes missing. I despise the Shrek looking f**ker.

Aye.. a penalty too...  :roll:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #83: Sep 05, 2015 05:31:15 pm
      He might not be the best player in the world but I'm gutted we don't have Jonjo at the club anymore. He was sold far too prematurely. We kept Allen instead of him, superb :D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #84: Sep 05, 2015 05:43:14 pm
      He might not be the best player in the world but I'm gutted we don't have Jonjo at the club anymore. He was sold far too prematurely. We kept Allen instead of him, superb :D

another transfer master stroke Jonjo £5mil Allen £15mil.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #85: Sep 05, 2015 06:10:59 pm

Loved Jonjo as a player. Got some aggression about him, good passer of the ball, and you can't find that shot of his in too many players.

Would've kept him at the club just for what he did to that pompous pr**k of a manager rightfully calling him out and showed more balls that day than I think we've got in all of our current squad combined if I'm honest.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #86: Sep 05, 2015 06:16:34 pm
      Loved Jonjo as a player. Got some aggression about him, good passer of the ball, and you can't find that shot of his in too many players.

Would've kept him at the club just for what he did to that pompous pr**k of a manager rightfully calling him out and showed more balls that day than I think we've got in all of our current squad combined if I'm honest.

Jonjo pulled Ferguson up at the end of that match to apologise and the response he got was "don't apologise, it shows you've got some balls". Fair play to the red nosed twonk :D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #87: Sep 05, 2015 07:34:58 pm
      that was 90mins i will never get back but lovely to see Jonjo doing so well.Really pleased for the lad any chance of a swap deal with Joe
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,393 posts | 3397 
      Reply #88: Sep 05, 2015 08:41:33 pm
      Costa diving for a pen, who would have guessed. Spanish fans booing pique, he should just turn around to the real Madrid fans and show them his medals
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #89: Sep 05, 2015 10:19:10 pm

Agree. Typical of football fans, especially the English. Wayne Rooney has been over-hyped from the day he scored that special goal against Arsenal I think it was when at Goodison. Never 'really' kicked on from there too much but the furor around him certainly has.

Plus, he shags grannys ewwwwww
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #90: Sep 05, 2015 11:45:54 pm
      Wow, Rooney has equaled the record in a lot more games played and by doing it against minnows through his entire career. World class that, what an achievement to have been spoon fed a record.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #91: Sep 06, 2015 11:02:19 am

Quick Reply