Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

QPR 2:3 Liverpool, In game & post match "discussion".

Read 34801 times
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Re: QPR 2:3 Liverpool, In game & post match "discussion".
      Reply #736: Oct 20, 2014 04:36:03 pm
      Aside from the obvious lack of top quality, there are other things missing.

We have very little experience. Very little in terms of "feel good factor" (compare THAT to last yr!). We have no-one at all who can grab a lost cause by the scruff of the neck and turn it into a 3-0 win. I'm thinking not just a Suarez, but a Souness or Ince. Maybe even a Carra figure at the back. Certainly a Viera or a Yaya Toure.

Our teams in the past were built around someone who could create 5 seconds of magic out of 90 dismal minutes.
      Gerrard, Rush, Dalglish, Fowler, Owen, Torres, Suarez. Players who could get some strings of 3pts put together WHILE a team gelled and built awareness.

It was really nonsensical to expect Lallana, Markovich or Balotelli to do that sort of thing, esp after just arriving.
      And if u look at what other teams signed its not as if they can say "oh no top players were available".
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #737: Oct 20, 2014 04:42:08 pm
      Hard to believe we're sat 5th in the league after that performance... But we are !!
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #738: Oct 20, 2014 06:01:40 pm
      That first half was F***ing atrocious what anybody was doing on that pitch was a mystery !I managed to neck 5 pints in that 45 mins that's almost 1 every ten minutes that's how sh*t it was.
      To be honest I was a bit fu**ed for the second half and van just about remember falling around laughing when the second QPR own goal went in...bloody hilarious.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #739: Oct 20, 2014 06:18:24 pm
      have said it many times their is something systemically wrong with our set up that makes us so vulnerable defensively. Individually our defenders are pretty decent but as a collective during a match........OML!

You know I think you might be right mate. Individually, Moreno, Enrique, Glen and Manquillo are decent fbs. Skrtl and Lovren are not bad individual defenders. But playing together, they make individual mistakes far too often. We seem to get exposed a lot, and from all directions. I'm talking about low/high crosses from the wings, opposition midfield passing through our defence with ease...is there soemthign every other manager is seeing apart from brendan?

With Can and Hendo holding back, we should have had far too much running and defensive midfield cover, but at times it felt non-existent. And I'm not blaming the players here, I'm talking about the system.

Back to the match, it was a dire performance. We looked lethargic and disjointed. Migno, Sterling and Couts apar...everyone else looked out of position and out of ideas.  But, the huge positive is that last season, we didn't have the squad to bring on a player like Couts who could change games like these...now we do, so there is an upside.

Massive 3 points, will do our confidence the world of good.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #740: Oct 20, 2014 08:07:43 pm
      I just watched the highlights again. I'm still an absolute shock that we got all 3 points. Unbelievable. Buzzing from it a little, always makes my week better after we win :)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #741: Oct 20, 2014 08:15:56 pm
      Roy's never come across as anything other than a self-preserving c**t.

Bang On Racer.

1 End of third World Cup Game  : " I wont be resigning"

2 Going public on Raheem.

Ugh .
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #742: Oct 20, 2014 08:26:43 pm
      I meant Uncle Roy Evans
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #743: Oct 20, 2014 09:40:44 pm
      Maybe it's that bit of luck we all needed...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #744: Oct 20, 2014 09:44:19 pm
      Maybe it's that bit of luck we all needed...

Had to laugh at that after Dunne scored the first OG and then was so animated in getting Caulker to defend instead of going forward.

Really was a get out of jail free card though.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #745: Oct 20, 2014 09:58:23 pm
      How many points we dropped when we deserved to win ? Everton scored a lucky goal against us, the luck was on our side in this match. 2 wins in a row, i hope that a strong performance against Real will get us firing.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #746: Oct 20, 2014 11:25:00 pm
      Had to laugh at that after Dunne scored the first OG and then was so animated in getting Caulker to defend instead of going forward.

Really was a get out of jail free card though.

Makes a change for us to have a lot of luck in a game like that.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #747: Oct 20, 2014 11:30:27 pm
      Makes a change for us to have a lot of luck in a game like that.

It does fella and George makes a fair point about Jageilka's worldy.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #748: Oct 21, 2014 02:23:13 am
      Haven't seen the game yet, I'll watch it later.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #749: Oct 21, 2014 05:42:21 am
      We won, 3 points, job done,  next!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #750: Oct 21, 2014 08:37:05 am
      We won, 3 points, job done,  next!

Exactly mate.

We played sh*t and we've played sh*t before and come away with nothing. This time we got maximum points and at the same time moved up 6 pozzies in the League Table!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #751: Oct 21, 2014 10:52:12 am

Ah. The lack of a W should have been key there.
      Sick of people going on about Hodgson at the moment.
      Fraud of a manager.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #752: Oct 22, 2014 02:05:14 am
      Just watched the game. Kind of glad I didn't see it live because I would have been spitting chips and having a cardiac arrest by the end of the game.

1st half: It was pretty much a shambles all over the field. The determining factor was simple, Gerrard and Henderson swapping meant we couldn't even muster up an a attack deep and we subsequently had no control over the game. I can see why Rodgers tried it, it worked for the last 20 against WBA and it gives the opposition something else to think about as many teams this season have put a man on Gerrard in deep. However, it cost the team cohesion and control from the off play Gerrard further ahead and I don't think Rodgers should try that again from the off.

The boss didn't look happy at all throughout the game. You can see the team's performance is on his mind. At the back in both the first half and second half was absolute chaos, particularly CB (again) and Enrique was very sloppy too with his passing. We got bullied in the air by Zamora & co and it just isn't on. Sunday league stuff and our CB's fail to do the bread 'n' butter stuff. Teams like Stoke, Hull & Sunderland et al  (run of the meal prem teams) will be licking their lips at the prospect of playing our CB's. Route one, direct stuff and we just cannot defend it, be it in open play or dead ball.

Second half: We looked better balanced with Gerrard back in DM. Henderson's 'energy' needs to be used in pressing further up and I'd look to utilize that strength of his there, it's kind of wasted deeper. Anyway, Sterling was able to get into the game more as it stretched and his pace and ability started to cause QPR problems on the counter. Meanwhile, our defense still being at 6's and 7's. I don't get the 'hate' for Johnson, I think he had a steady game and was easily the pick of the bunch along the back line and it was his assist that led to the OG which ramped up the game a. Good play from Sterling there!

Mignolet all the while, with a timid school boy defense in front of him put in his best performance in goal this season and his saves were equal to goals scored. He also, looks to have made the decision now to punch the ball clear which is a good thing.

I'm glad in a negative kind of way, Sterling's pass found Caulker rather than Balotelli for the third. The big Italian is desperate for a goal and he is just snatching at them at any remote opportunity. It must be a nightmare being his teammate. Sterling never looks happy when Balotelli goes the selfish route and it is understandable. I've come to the conclusion that he hasn't got a 'football' head/brain. Footballers aren't renowned for their brains at the best of time in general but they need a footballing one to successfully ply their trade and Balotelli looks as though he was at the end of the cue when they were given out. There were so many times (and prior to this in other games) where composure in the 18 yard box is needed, just to look up and see a teammate in a better position. Alas, the man's head stays down and he simply tries putting his foot through it every time, the lack of awareness and movement (again, fart for brains) is astonishing. I don't know why Rodgers persists with him in the lone role, I don't think it helps him but even still, if Sturridge was alongside him can you see Balotelli picking him out? I can't. Until the pressure is off him to get his first prem goal I think this is what we'll get from him - whether it changes after that, I'm not sure either.

I like Can. I think he'll be a good player in our midfield and if I were Rodgers I would be looking at making him a permanent starter ahead of Allen. I think he was neat on the ball, chased down and screened quite well, he can burst forward on the attack and has an eye for a pass. I'd like him playing a box to box midfielder alongside Henderson in midfield but we still need to go with two up top.

---------------------------------------------------------

Gerrard
                   Henderson          Can
                         Lallana/Coutinho

Sturridge Sterling

I now think it is worth playing Sterling alongside, or just behind Sturridge in a system like that. I never thought Sterling would make and out and out striker but the lad clearly has the ability to play a number 10.

Quick Reply