Trending Topics

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Will Liverpool rise to the challenge and beat Real Madrid ?

Win
      45 (50.6%)
      Draw
      14 (15.7%)
      Lose
      30 (33.7%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Liverpool V Real Madrid Anfield 22/10/2014 - 20:45CET (19:45 local time)

Read 19883 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Liverpool V Real Madrid Anfield 22/10/2014 - 20:45CET (19:45 local time)
      Reply #184: Oct 22, 2014 11:50:10 am
      I'd take a boring 1-0 win tonight with a draw in the return leg if it were up to me :D

A draw will be a good result given the context of our respective seasons.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #185: Oct 22, 2014 11:56:49 am
      Anything is possible, but I can't deny I have trouble seeing us getting anything out of this game.

We need just about every player to shift up from a 5 or 6/10 average for the season to an 8, at least.

We need the crowd to whip up an inferno atmosphere - which is about the only thing I'm confident will go according to plan! ;)
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #186: Oct 22, 2014 12:01:41 pm
      We need the crowd to whip up an inferno atmosphere - which is about the only thing I'm confident will go according to plan! ;)

Hahaha you can always rely on a pissed up Scouser to make a racket.
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #187: Oct 22, 2014 12:03:55 pm
      Pulling an all-nighter for this. Buzzing with excitement - it has been awhile! Liverpool are going into this match for a win and that's the only result I want, really.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #188: Oct 22, 2014 12:05:19 pm
      Pulling an all-nighter for this. Buzzing with excitement - it has been awhile! Liverpool are going into this match for a win and that's the only result I want, really.

Welcome back to the forum mate! ;D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #189: Oct 22, 2014 12:13:04 pm
      Time to stick this on, Brendan:

Al Pacino's Inspirational Speech
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #190: Oct 22, 2014 12:25:52 pm
                                      Mignolet

Johnson         Skrtel                 Lovren           Moreno

Gerrard

Henderson                Allen

Sterling                                  Coutinho

Lambert

That is what I would go with tonight. What we can't afford is a lazy waste of space upfront who won't chase the ball much or even try and hold it up when it comes up to him. It will demoralise the rest of the team. Lambert while not the greatest player in the world will give us 100%, fight for every ball and protect it like his life depended on it when it comes up to him. I think his physical presence might also unsettle them a little at the back. He may even help us when defending a corner seeing as though our defenders are completely clueless. A must pick for me. If the other player starts after his non performance on sunday it sends out the wrong message to the rest of the squad.

I really fear for us at the back. We have no leader, nobody who can organise. Skrtel just grabs and does not look at the ball and Lovren just dives in right left and centre. Mignolet has no protection. If we give away any soft free kicks tonight within 40 yards of the goal we are going to be in trouble.

All that said, we can get something out of it. We have to be diciplined. We have to be patient when not in posession and respect posession when we have it. The full backs need to pick the right time to go forward. We have to make it difficult for them. We have to accept that they are better than us and we cannot take them on in a game of attack v attack. We have to be clever.

This is a big test for Brendan tonight.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #191: Oct 22, 2014 12:26:01 pm
      Well tonight is a defining night in our "progression" as a team. Is Brendan a tactical ~genius is Stevie fu**ed (as Rodney Marsh suggests) is Balotelli going to wear his underpants outside his shorts and score a hatrick all will be revealed .
      Seriously though although I voted for a win (as I always do) but can anyone say what our team will do tonight.
      I can see us winning 5=3 and I can see us getting twatted 6-1. I worry about having Balotelli in the side because we need 10 outfield players who have energy and commitment and that is not Balotelli.
      Its going to be quite a night and given the ground will be shear bedlam I wouldn't put it past the lads to make a name for themselves.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #192: Oct 22, 2014 12:41:11 pm
                                      Mignolet

Gerrard

Lambert

That is what I would go with tonight. What we can't afford is a lazy waste of space upfront who won't chase the ball much or even try and hold it up when it comes up to him. It will demoralise the rest of the team. Lambert while not the greatest player in the world will give us 100%, fight for every ball and protect it like his life depended on it when it comes up to him. I think his physical presence might also unsettle them a little at the back. He may even help us when defending a corner seeing as though our defenders are completely clueless. A must pick for me. If the other player starts after his non performance on sunday it sends out the wrong message to the rest of the squad.

I really fear for us at the back. We have no leader, nobody who can organise. Skrtel just grabs and does not look at the ball and Lovren just dives in right left and centre. Mignolet has no protection. If we give away any soft free kicks tonight within 40 yards of the goal we are going to be in trouble.

All that said, we can get something out of it. We have to be diciplined. We have to be patient when not in posession and respect posession when we have it. The full backs need to pick the right time to go forward. We have to make it difficult for them. We have to accept that they are better than us and we cannot take them on in a game of attack v attack. We have to be clever.

You're complaining Balotelli won't make runs (when he's not that type of player) and you want to put 34 year old Lambert in the side (who isn't that type of player)?  ???
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #193: Oct 22, 2014 12:43:18 pm
      Well tonight is a defining night in our "progression" as a team. Is Brendan a tactical ~genius is Stevie fu**ed (as Rodney Marsh suggests) is Balotelli going to wear his underpants outside his shorts and score a hatrick all will be revealed .
      Seriously though although I voted for a win (as I always do) but can anyone say what our team will do tonight.
      I can see us winning 5=3 and I can see us getting twatted 6-1. I worry about having Balotelli in the side because we need 10 outfield players who have energy and commitment and that is not Balotelli.
      Its going to be quite a night and given the ground will be shear bedlam I wouldn't put it past the lads to make a name for themselves.

I think the worst part for me is that last year, we'd have expected to beat Madrid and most would have given us a great chance especially at home, now there is an underlying distrust of this team and of Rodgers and we are regarded as a "lesser" side.

I think that's the hardest part for me this year......my faith in the team is still there, but he evidence to support that faith just hasn't been shown.

carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #194: Oct 22, 2014 12:53:18 pm
                                      Mignolet

Gerrard

Lambert

I think if I had to leave out Balotelli, I would not replace him with Lambert ( with all the respect I have for him) but  I would replace Balo with Borini or advance Sterling and put in Lallana in that formation

Just hope who ever plays gives 100% and more

YNWA
      Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #195: Oct 22, 2014 12:56:07 pm
      You're complaining Balotelli won't make runs (when he's not that type of player) and you want to put 34 year old Lambert in the side (who isn't that type of player)?  ???

Thats right ... he wont chase the ball, he wont hold the ball and he doesn't even show for the ball. I want 10 outfield players giving 100%.

What is balotelli's game? Enlighten me. Actually i know that already. Static, lazy, non creative and non productive.

So like i say, whilst not being the greatest player in the world (32 year old) lambert would certainly give us more than the attributes that make up 'balotelli's game'

You want him in the team obviously  ??? Even after sundays 'performance' when he didn't give a f*ck. No thanks.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #196: Oct 22, 2014 12:58:21 pm
      Mig
      Manquillo Skrtel Lovren Johnson (Moreno if fit)
      Gerrard Allen
      Sterling Henderson Coutinho
      Balo

As badly as Balo is playing he has much more experience of this sort of game. Coutinho needs rewarding for his successful cameo. Allen gives stability.

Kroos and Ronaldo worry me. Henderson needs to do a job on Kroos given his passing. I think the first 20 minutes is crucial as Roma found out
      Don77

• 6,540 posts | 1091 
      Reply #197: Oct 22, 2014 12:58:53 pm
      I think if I had to leave out Balotelli, I would not replace him with Lambert ( with all the respect I have for him) but  I would replace Balo with Borini or advance Sterling and put in Lallana in that formation

Just hope who ever plays gives 100% and more

YNWA

Certainly an option mate ... probably more mobile. Im desperately wanting rickie to do well ... this would be the game of his life.

If borini started ... id be ok with that.

But you dont pick someone who couldn't give a f*ck in the last game. You have a squad for a reason.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #198: Oct 22, 2014 01:05:54 pm
      Flutterbies are kicking in already, it's been a long time since we had such a big game at Anfield.  I'm confident the lads will rise to the occasion and remind the world just who Liverpool Football Club are.

We are Liverpool tra la la la la..........
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #199: Oct 22, 2014 01:16:43 pm
      Let's face it - whether we think we are going to get hammered or grab another famous victory - it's great to have these sorts of games back.  This is what many of us were getting very used to in the last decade, and what many of the older generation were used to permanently as part of supporting Liverpool.

AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,538 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #200: Oct 22, 2014 01:26:50 pm
      Gone for a draw, I'm predicting 1-1 but theres a little 'thing' inside me screaming 2-1 to us.
      No matter what the score though, I've missed these 'big' matches!  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #201: Oct 22, 2014 01:28:31 pm
      Possible Line Ups.

Liverpool.

Mignolet

Skrtel                Lovren       

Johnson               Gerrard                   Moreno

Hendo                 Allen

Coutinho

Sterling           Balotelli

Real Madrid:

Casillas

Carvajal        Pepe          Varane       Arbeloa

Modric        Kroos   

James                  Isco

Ronaldo      Benzema

That Madrid front 4.  :o
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #202: Oct 22, 2014 01:35:50 pm
      Thats right ... he wont chase the ball, he wont hold the ball and he doesn't even show for the ball. I want 10 outfield players giving 100%.

What is balotelli's game? Enlighten me. Actually i know that already. Static, lazy, non creative and non productive.

So like i say, whilst not being the greatest player in the world (32 year old) lambert would certainly give us more than the attributes that make up 'balotelli's game'

You want him in the team obviously  ??? Even after sundays 'performance' when he didn't give a f*ck. No thanks.

The point I'm making is that you're complaining about Balotelli not making runs and your solution to that problem is to replace him with a 32 year old who has a very similar style of play, i.e. Lambert is no more going to make runs in and around the box than Balotelli is so what exactly are you accomplishing? If you're going to drop Mairo then replace him with someone who gives you something different. Borini for example, or Sterling as a false 9. That's all I and others are pointing out.
      « Last Edit: Oct 22, 2014 02:28:05 pm by 5timesacharm »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #203: Oct 22, 2014 01:54:56 pm
      16/1 for us to beat Madrid... rofl

Tempted to put some cash down
      MsGerrard
      Reply #204: Oct 22, 2014 02:20:05 pm
      and its off to the match I go....excited lots for another special European night at Anfield....let's hope by the time I get back tonight the forum is full of smiles  ;D

COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS !!
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #205: Oct 22, 2014 02:32:20 pm
      16/1 for us to beat Madrid... rofl

Tempted to put some cash down

Must be correct score/first goalscorer.

We are 3/1
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #206: Oct 22, 2014 02:33:11 pm
      and its off to the match I go....excited lots for another special European night at Anfield....let's hope by the time I get back tonight the forum is full of smiles  ;D

COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS !!

Safe trip Cas.

Get pissed and sing !

Quick Reply