Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM?

Mignolet
      3 (3%)
      Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Skrtel
      2 (2%)
      Johnson
      1 (1%)
      Gerrard
      2 (2%)
      Henderson
      1 (1%)
      Allen
      0 (0%)
      Sterling
      34 (34%)
      Coutinho
      44 (44%)
      Balotelli
      2 (2%)
      Lallana
      10 (10%)
      Can
      1 (1%)
      Markovic
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Voting closed: Oct 25, 2014 09:45:43 pm

Liverpool 0-3 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match Disappointment

Read 40673 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Liverpool 0-3 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match Disappointment
      Reply #690: Oct 23, 2014 12:23:17 am
      Arsenal supporters by and large might disagree with you , 16 consecutive yrs in it and not a snot to show for it and how long did they go without domestic silverware then 9 yrs and is that what you would like for us  ?

In fairness those Arsenal supporters might have a different view on matters if they'd not been in the Champions League the last five years.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #691: Oct 23, 2014 12:23:57 am
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #692: Oct 23, 2014 12:24:47 am
      Come on you fannies we are all Reds at the end of the day irrespective of our views we all want LFC to succeed.

...  except at Anfield in a European tie ... eh HSc ?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #693: Oct 23, 2014 12:24:53 am
      Funny isn't it, last season we all wanted to get into the CL. Now we're here and have just been hammered by Madrid people start talking about the League Cup.  ???

If goal posts were moved this much for Balotelli,  I could understand him not scoring but they aren't...
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #694: Oct 23, 2014 12:25:09 am
      Respect.

Thats it. A very small thing.

We can all be right we can all be wrong.

At least respect can be shown for others opinions.

Respect.

Which you seem to have no understanding of you vile piece of work.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #695: Oct 23, 2014 12:26:58 am
      Respect.

Thats it. A very small thing.

We can all be right we can all be wrong.

At least respect can be shown for others opinions.

Providing though mate the opinion is worth respecting and not just a load of sh*te.

I'll be honest there's plenty of people on here who's opinion I don't respect. Not because it differs from mine (though that's what they like to believe) but simply because it's sh*te that they spew.

I'm not gonna respect something that is so idiotic.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #696: Oct 23, 2014 12:28:18 am
      Funny isn't it, last season we all wanted to get into the CL. Now we're here and have just been hammered by Madrid people start talking about the League Cup.  ???

And last season some of us wanted to win the League Cup as well. So there's really not anything funny.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #697: Oct 23, 2014 12:29:17 am
      Respect.

Which you seem to have no understanding of you vile piece of work.

Manc.

You must be a Manc .......  why did it take so long to suss that ?

How many people have you insulted tonight ....... fellow Reds ?

Half a dozen ?

I can see the puddle next to your shoe pal ...
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #698: Oct 23, 2014 12:32:29 am
      And last season some of us wanted to win the League Cup as well. So there's really not anything funny.

I'd like us to win it this year and the FA cup, and the League and the CL.

But it is funny how people moan now we're back in CL and look to the League Cup win as some reason to bash Rodgers with. It doesn't make sense. 
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,011 posts | 3352 
      Reply #699: Oct 23, 2014 12:34:30 am
      I'd like us to win it this year and the FA cup, and the League and the CL.

But it is funny how people moan now we're back in CL and look to the League Cup win as some reason to bash Rodgers with. It doesn't make sense. 

Ah fair do's lad. Misinterpreted what you said.

I thought you were saying people were clinging to the League Cup as some sort of saving grace because we'd lost in Europe tonight.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #700: Oct 23, 2014 12:34:50 am
      ...  except at Anfield in a European tie ... eh HSc ?

WTF are you on about buddy.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #701: Oct 23, 2014 12:37:06 am
      The mods should start selling popcorn. You'd be able to fund this site for years off this much drama.  :roll:
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #702: Oct 23, 2014 12:42:20 am
      After taking some time to think about it, here are my thoughts:

1.  We would have lost even if we still had Suarez.  We might have managed to score a couple if Studge wasn't injured and Luis was still here, but Madrid could have scored more and probably would have if they didn't have the Clasico this weekend.  Suarez is a big loss, and we are not as good as we were last year.  However, even if we hand't sold him, we still would have had to play tonight without Suarez (banned) and Studge (injured) so it really wouldn't have made one bit of difference. 

2.  Balotelli doesn't deserve to play for LFC again.  He is selfish, lazy, and quite frankly he has no idea how privileged he is to get to play for such an elite club.  He does have talent and great athleticism, but his application is worthless and we would be better off with ANYONE ELSE playing up front.  At this point in time, I can't see him ever showing the right attitude and effort required to make it here. 

3.  Our defense is sh*t and something needs to change.  I don't know what that something is..... drop Lovren for Sakho/Toure;  play two holding midfielders;  play 3 CB's..... BR needs to figure this out because we aren't going to be able to outscore everyone we play this year and our chances of finishing in the CL places again will be bleak if we can't tighten up our back line. 

4.  We will improve when Studge comes back, Coutinho is finding his form, Lallana is becoming a very good player for us, and Sterling is a world beater in the making.  We still have a very good team, just not one that can compete with the Champions of Europe at this point in time.  Unfortunately, I also can't see us putting on a real title charge this season either....

5.  Ludogorets did us a favor.  We can lose to Madrid in the Bernebeau and still advance if we just win our last 2 group games.  If we can't do that, then we don't deserve to advance.  Simple. 

As disappointing as it is to be on the receiving end of a beating like this, and despite being pretty sh*te for most of the campaign to this point, we are still in a decent position in both the league and CL, and are still alive in both domestic cups.  Things could be better, but they could also be a lot worse.  Hopefully BR can pull the team together and we can put on a real run when Studge comes back into the team. 

Still keeping the faith.....   YNWA
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #703: Oct 23, 2014 12:42:23 am
      3-0 before half time was not looking clever.  Thankfully due to a combination of us having 11 players in the second half and Madrid taking their foot of the gas it didn't get humiliating.

Fully expect Madrid to complete the job in the Bernabeu and we will be ruing the massive disappointment that we had in Basel.

Need to concentrate on the Premier League this season.  There will be little reward in the Champions League even if we go onto miraculously qualify for the knockouts.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #704: Oct 23, 2014 12:43:00 am

;D

Guess.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #705: Oct 23, 2014 12:50:17 am
      The mods should start selling popcorn.
      You'd be able to fund this site for years off this much drama.  :roll:

Not a mod but know a business opportunity ...

xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #706: Oct 23, 2014 01:07:09 am
      Does Steve Clark want his old job back?  :f_tongueincheek:

I'm not sure if it's personnel or tactics (probably a bit of both) but our entire defense is completely out of touch with one another. It's hard to believe that two of the back four used to play in a team managed by Rafa.

Raheem and Phillipe were the only bright sparks in the first half. I was also impressed with Can and Llana although by the time they came on the game was pretty much put to bed.

I'm trying not to dwell on the negatives, after all just a few years ago playing Europes elite was a distant pipe dream.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #707: Oct 23, 2014 01:10:43 am
      2.  Balotelli doesn't deserve to play for LFC again.  He is selfish, lazy, and quite frankly he has no idea how privileged he is to get to play for such an elite club.  He does have talent and great athleticism, but his application is worthless and we would be better off with ANYONE ELSE playing up front.  At this point in time, I can't see him ever showing the right attitude and effort required to make it here. 

This is going to become a major problem because I agree with what Tony Barrett just tweeted.

Tony Barrett ‏@TonyBarretTimes  · 53 mins53 minutes ago 
      I think there's a real danger of Mario Balotelli becoming a scapegoat for all Liverpool's ills. He's a problem but he's one of many.

It's already begun. Yes he has his problems, yes some of them are of his own making (although some aren't), but he is not the only one. Many players on the pitch performed to a far higher standard either at their former club or for LFC under a different manager. There is a collective blame to be assigned, from the owners to the manager to the players themselves. Singling out a single player for no other reason than he's marmite is unfair and isn't going to solve the problems at our club.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #708: Oct 23, 2014 01:13:18 am
      It's hard to believe that two of the back four used to play in a team managed by Rafa.

Not hard to believe, that's when they were at their peak - 5 years ago.  It's hard to believe that their decline hasn't been solved by replacing them.

This is going to become a major problem because I agree with what Tony Barrett just tweeted.

To be fair with regards to Mario though he hasn't banked any performances with Liverpool in the past though.  There are some in the side who are underperforming who do at least have some history of showing something decent.  That's the difference.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #709: Oct 23, 2014 01:19:29 am
      To be fair with regards to Mario though he hasn't banked any performances with Liverpool in the past though.  There are some in the side who are underperforming who do at least have some history of showing something decent.  That's the difference.

No not really. Mario performed well for Milan, performed well for City and performed well at Euro 2012. Lovren hasn't banked any prior performances in a red shirt but he's not being made the scapegoat yet he's just as guilty in his performances for our ills as Mario is. That's the difference. Don't assume I'm defending Balotelli because I'm not. I'm just saying making him a scapegoat is unfair.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #710: Oct 23, 2014 01:32:52 am
      No not really. Mario performed well for Milan, performed well for City and performed well at Euro 2012. Lovren hasn't banked any prior performances in a red shirt but he's not being made the scapegoat yet he's just as guilty in his performances for our ills as Mario is. That's the difference. Don't assume I'm defending Balotelli because I'm not. I'm just saying making him a scapegoat is unfair.

Two points though:

1. I called out Lovren in my post as well. He has been sh*te all season so far and also needs to be dropped.

2. Lovren (as well as the rest of our players) at least shows passion, desire, and commitment to the team.

Balotelli has shown a bit of effort in small spurts, but if things don't happen for him then he sulks, gets lazy, and refuses to pass the ball whenever it does manage to make its way to him. He is the antithesis of a team player, which completely contradicts the ethos that BR's tactics are designed around.
      « Last Edit: Oct 23, 2014 01:55:03 am by harrydunn08 »
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #711: Oct 23, 2014 01:58:12 am
      The thing with Steve Clarke is he will never be an option. He would have been ideal for Benitez though, who excelled in getting defenders organised and primarily defensive.

Great defensive coach you may say, and I agree, it's just that his style of play isn't particularly suited to Rodger's and the management's philosophy of pressing high, passing out of trouble and one of the centre backs being the 'libero' style ball carrier (of which Lovren is assigned to I guess as Skrtel takes no responsibility in starting attacks at all).

But all this is alien to Steve Clarke I'm afraid and he would be on a completely different wavelength compared to other coaches.

There's no 'right way' of doing it, it depends on your outlook, but it amazes me how competent Rodger's Swansea were in defence at times compared to this lot. The draw he got at Anfield with Swansea was perfect containment by keeping possession basically - will he go back to a similar method at the Bernebeu? He may well have to.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,318 posts | 6380 
      Reply #712: Oct 23, 2014 02:31:01 am
      This just sucks. :(

Quick Reply