Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM?

Mignolet
      3 (3%)
      Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Moreno
      0 (0%)
      Skrtel
      2 (2%)
      Johnson
      1 (1%)
      Gerrard
      2 (2%)
      Henderson
      1 (1%)
      Allen
      0 (0%)
      Sterling
      34 (34%)
      Coutinho
      44 (44%)
      Balotelli
      2 (2%)
      Lallana
      10 (10%)
      Can
      1 (1%)
      Markovic
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Voting closed: Oct 25, 2014 09:45:43 pm

Liverpool 0-3 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match Disappointment

Read 40142 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Liverpool 0-3 Real Madrid: In game and Post Match Disappointment
      Reply #713: Oct 23, 2014 02:34:44 am
      The thing with Steve Clarke is he will never be an option. He would have been ideal for Benitez though, who excelled in getting defenders organised and primarily defensive.

Great defensive coach you may say, and I agree, it's just that his style of play isn't particularly suited to Rodger's and the management's philosophy of pressing high, passing out of trouble and one of the centre backs being the 'libero' style ball carrier (of which Lovren is assigned to I guess as Skrtel takes no responsibility in starting attacks at all).

But all this is alien to Steve Clarke I'm afraid and he would be on a completely different wavelength compared to other coaches.

There's no 'right way' of doing it, it depends on your outlook, but it amazes me how competent Rodger's Swansea were in defence at times compared to this lot. The draw he got at Anfield with Swansea was perfect containment by keeping possession basically - will he go back to a similar method at the Bernebeu? He may well have to.

I think the two style's could be meshed, yes they would probably lose out in both their purest of forms but balance has got to be found.

There is no point, going all out attack (especially when the attack as of yet can't attack efficiently enough) and not expecting any repercussions for adding the same intensity and training to the defensive side of the game.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #714: Oct 23, 2014 02:38:49 am
      Not seen it, was going to watch it at some point.  Might not bother after reading this thread.  Unexpected overtime may have done me a favour.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #715: Oct 23, 2014 03:17:05 am
      Not seen it, was going to watch it at some point.  Might not bother after reading this thread.  Unexpected overtime may have done me a favour.

Don't do it to yourself Rodders.

Finally mustered some composure to put a response in I showed alot of blind faith last night when in the pre match I said we were not going to get hammered and it will be tight. I thought right from the manager down to the tea lady that everybody was going to be up for this but besides   getting into a few good positions in the opening minutes we were blown off the park.

The defense can hold a fair portion of the blame for the goals conceded but I seriously question what the purpose of Allen and Henderson is? They were non existent on our side of the pitch offered no cover and no protection it is baffling for players who are lauded for their industry. You look at Modric and Kroos in comparison and their is your answer as to why we struggled and got blown of the park.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #716: Oct 23, 2014 04:15:25 am
      Wow knees are jerking all over the place.

Some of youse would still have wanted to blame balo and burn him at the steak even if he didnt swap shirts at half time (which according to bredan is commonplace in other leagues)

I hope you guys realize we would have lost even if we had suarez.

Lets also bare in mind Ancelotti said it was the best his team has played all season.
      « Last Edit: Oct 23, 2014 04:53:51 am by PastorGeek »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #717: Oct 23, 2014 06:42:14 am
      Nice to see there was a bit of passion on here last night rather than people just trembling at the excitement of playing Madrid. I think the people who were angry that we didn't put up a better performance had every right to express their anger as we should be capable of competing with the best the CL has to offer.

I think that we will still qualify for the knockout stages, but if we can't compete better than we did yesterday there may not be much point.

We need to sort out our defence, get our strikers scoring and get our tactics right before this season becomes one to forget.

Personally I couldn't care less whether Balotelli swops his shirt if he is knocking in goals for fun, but when we have 4 strikers who have scored only 2 goals between them I think our problems are bigger than Balotelli's shirt.

Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #718: Oct 23, 2014 06:44:29 am
      Devastated by yesterday's result.

We also start to have a problem as fans, as far as I can see.
      We fight each other (as I did some time ago) we are nervous and we can't think clear enough.

The same happens with the team. Lack of passion, lack of tactic adaptability, same style of play independent on the opponent and a TRAGIC defense. We looked so small and so weak against RM and that is the biggest disappointment. We are currently nowhere near our last year's performances. Suarez is not an excuse anymore.
      I look back at our 2008/2009 season, where we beat RM 0-1 and 4-0 and we also end up second in the league, and I can see that we severely lacking players like Alonso, Mascherano, Carragher, Arbeloa and even Torres.

It's a pivotal moment of the season. Maybe it would be good to knock out even from the EL, since we must focus 100% on the league.

We need a shock to wake us up at the moment. I do not know what kind of a shock, but if we stay the same it's going to get worse
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #719: Oct 23, 2014 07:27:21 am
      Go to 1min17 and see the car crash. 2 CB's and our tallest striker went for the same ball and not one of them won it, actually they all got in each others way and gifted it to Pepe.

Go to 46 seconds and watch Skrtel start in no mans and watch the goal unfold. Whether Benzema meant it as a cross or not it was going in as Ronaldo had a free run to the back post to tap it in if it missed. Why is Johnson marking their best Header of the ball and nobody (well maybe Moreno was) marking their 2nd best header of the ball?

We literally have to be the most disorganised team in the world right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxZ4Rp7xxxw#ws
      « Last Edit: Oct 23, 2014 08:20:51 am by JD »
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #720: Oct 23, 2014 07:35:02 am
      A couple of points to note from last night.

We actually played well and passed well (until the final 3rd) when we had the ball. We pressed really well for the 1st 15min and then stopped. The 2nd goal knocked the stuffing out of us. We were lucky it wasnt 6nil. Coutinho, Hendo and Sterling were great. We have a good team - its just broken at the minute. We need to get the basics right in defense. That and that alone are whats killing the rest of the team. Morale must be shot. Skrtel and Lovren should be dropped for Hull and Toure and Sakho should start..... Im serious. I know we need to be consistent, but these two are god awful. Skrtel is only ever as good as his CB partner - so we are snookered there cause Lovren is awful at the minute. Hes young and will come good, but persisting with him now is killing us.

Can Llori be recalled? If so, do it.

Whats with this stupid tactic where we lob the ball from GK to full backs, in our own half? We lost it nearly every time and were instantly under pressure. That was when Balo was on too... Feck sake he is meant to be a ball winner in the air.

The only plus is that they are by far the best team in the world..... To have a Kroos in your team must be a dream. Add to that isco, Ronaldo and Modric, Bale and James... Good lord!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #721: Oct 23, 2014 07:45:07 am
      Reading some comments this morning, and it scares me. People are actually willing to accept liverpool being 3 F***ing nil down at half time at home on a champions league night.

Has that ever happened before? I bet this is the first time.

Absolute F***ing joke, embarrassing performance and the manager / players should be ashamed.

At home for F**k sake.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #722: Oct 23, 2014 08:22:00 am
      And you can see the first goal where Gerrard and Henderson get nowhere near the ball as it is short-passed all around them.

No.
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #723: Oct 23, 2014 08:35:28 am
      Reading some comments this morning, and it scares me. People are actually willing to accept liverpool being 3 F***ing nil down at half time at home on a champions league night.

Has that ever happened before? I bet this is the first time.

Absolute F***ing joke, embarrassing performance and the manager / players should be ashamed.

At home for F**k sake.

Correct. I think now people have begun to realise that we are not going to be able to compete with a "best in the world" type of team so it is no shame losing to them. It was the same case against Man City when we lost 3-0. It is a reality, but it is also a downright shame that this has happened to Liverpool. We never had this sort of inferior mentality before - and we've always faced the AC and Inter Milans, the Barcelonas, the Real Madrids etc with the mentality that we are THE MIGHTY LIVERPOOL FC - where form is temporary and class is permanent - where we fear no one even if they have the world's best players.

It is a shame that we have been brought down to a level where we disbelieve our own selves, we're not Everton for F**k's sake! I agree with you this is unacceptable by Liverpool standards. Players and the manager need to realise we are not a mediocre team with a mid-table squad mentality. We are Liverpool, tra la la la, we're the best football team in the land, yes we are
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #724: Oct 23, 2014 08:36:32 am
      If only the game lasted 15 minutes!

Why could we not continue the high tempo pressing game beyond 15 minutes, that was the only way we were going to get anything last night.

It seems that the first goal just knocked the stuffing out of us not only mentally but physically.

Like I said last night defence apart there was some promising signs on the attacking, makes me confident for Hull.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #725: Oct 23, 2014 08:44:51 am
      Getting out of this group shouldn't be a priority. 4th is better than 3rd - Nobody wants Europa, especially not this season. 1st year back in CL has been poor so far but getting back in CL next year is HUGE - bigger than ever. We are miles off getting there at the minute. We need to concentrate 100% on the league now and plug all our resources into that. Rest all main players for the midweeks. Imagine how poor we can be if fatigue becomes a factor too?

If we get CL, then we can attract better players and sort this sh!t out over time. If we don't get it this year, well then I really fear for us.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #726: Oct 23, 2014 09:01:20 am
      Getting out of this group shouldn't be a priority. 4th is better than 3rd - Nobody wants Europa, especially not this season. 1st year back in CL has been poor so far but getting back in CL next year is HUGE - bigger than ever. We are miles off getting there at the minute. We need to concentrate 100% on the league now and plug all our resources into that. Rest all main players for the midweeks. Imagine how poor we can be if fatigue becomes a factor too?

If we get CL, then we can attract better players and sort this sh!t out over time. If we don't get it this year, well then I really fear for us.

Might be better if we qualify for the last 16 as we may then be able to attract better players at Christmas on the back of THIS years CL.

Two good wins against Basle and Ludo should be enough to see us through, buy a decent striker, a goalkeeper and a new defence in the transfer window and we are set up for a late run for top four.   

By the time the knock out games come around in February  .... you never know, maybe miracles can happen twice. 
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #727: Oct 23, 2014 09:02:08 am

To be fair with regards to Mario though he hasn't banked any performances with Liverpool in the past though.  There are some in the side who are underperforming who do at least have some history of showing something decent.  That's the difference.

That's true, but in truth Mario is starting despite his poor form because the only alternative is Lambert or Borini. That's the manager's fault.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #728: Oct 23, 2014 09:04:42 am
      Might be better if we qualify for the last 16 as we may then be able to attract better players at Christmas on the back of THIS years CL.

Two good wins against Basle and Ludo should be enough to see us through, buy a decent striker, a goalkeeper and a new defence in the transfer window and we are set up for a late run for top four.   

By the time the knock out games come around in February  .... you never know, maybe miracles can happen twice. 

Not another new defence......
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #729: Oct 23, 2014 09:06:31 am

Maybe a defensive midfielder as well ? I just didn't want to seem greedy.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #730: Oct 23, 2014 09:09:38 am
      The weatherman said to expect showers.
      And a shower of sh*te we were.

I didn't like the vibe in the buildup to yday.
      All this "the biggest club in the World is coming". Reminds me of Yeovil Town drawing the PL champions in the cup.
      Madrid used to be scared of US. We used to slaughter then, not behave like fawning deferential gimps.

Now its like a bunch of serfs are throwing down their cloaks for the arrival of the King. The half and half scarves just rubbed salt into the wounds. But hey "you only need to look like you're trying" - acc to Tom Tosser Hicks..
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #731: Oct 23, 2014 09:12:59 am
      I didn't like the vibe in the buildup to yday.All this "the biggest club in the World is coming". Reminds me of Yeovil Town drawing the PL champions in the cup.Madrid used to be scared of US. We used to slaughter then, not behave like fawning deferential gimps.

I must admit this bit annoyed me as well mate.

AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #732: Oct 23, 2014 09:16:15 am
      A couple of points to note from last night.

We actually played well and passed well (until the final 3rd) when we had the ball. We pressed really well for the 1st 15min and then stopped. The 2nd goal knocked the stuffing out of us. We were lucky it wasnt 6nil. Coutinho, Hendo and Sterling were great. We have a good team - its just broken at the minute. We need to get the basics right in defense. That and that alone are whats killing the rest of the team. Morale must be shot. Skrtel and Lovren should be dropped for Hull and Toure and Sakho should start..... Im serious. I know we need to be consistent, but these two are god awful. Skrtel is only ever as good as his CB partner - so we are snookered there cause Lovren is awful at the minute. Hes young and will come good, but persisting with him now is killing us.

Can Llori be recalled? If so, do it.

Whats with this stupid tactic where we lob the ball from GK to full backs, in our own half? We lost it nearly every time and were instantly under pressure. That was when Balo was on too... Feck sake he is meant to be a ball winner in the air.

The only plus is that they are by far the best team in the world..... To have a Kroos in your team must be a dream. Add to that isco, Ronaldo and Modric, Bale and James... Good lord!

If our shower of sh*te had kept even MOST of its team together, we'd have slaughtered them.
      Reina
      Arbeloa
      xx
      Agger?
      xx
      Mascherano
      Alonso
      Gerrard?
      Sterling
      Suarez
      Sturridge?

And what did we field?
      Mignolet
      Johnson
      Moreno
      Lovren
      Skrtel
      Allen
      Gerrard
      Coutinho
      Henderson
      Sterling
      Balotelli

Someone asked me "why is our best player actually our YOUNGEST one".
      I thought about it. Then I replied "because he's too young to sell yet".
      Sobering F***ing thought really.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #733: Oct 23, 2014 09:37:30 am
      First 20 minutes we went right at them and showed we were up for it. Might not have created much, but a few hard tackles and quickly closing them down was enough to begin with.

Hate to say it but a moment of class from Ronaldo then changed the game. What was disappointing to see was our heads seemed to drop instantly. We seemed to accept defeat as soon as Ronaldo scored. Straight from kick off we stopped pressing and chasing the ball down and instead put men behind the ball and let them play.

The next two goals were comical and typical of our defending. The back four were all over the place again, no organisation, no confidence, no leaders.  He made some good stops again last night but while Mignolet is in goal for us, mistakes will happen every week. He isn't good enough.

I've seen a lot of 'we were much better in the second half' but where we? I thought Madrid defended excellent and made us look very amateur. They had a 3-0 lead and could afford to put bodies behind the ball, so yes we had a bit more possession but what did we create? We had a long range shot from Coutinho and then another shot from outside the box from Sterling which Casillas should have caught instead of knocking it over for a corner. I never felt like we were going to score at any point and if we were, it would have been through a set piece. Madrid were just laughing at us.

Poor performance, expected much more from a Liverpool side at Anfield in Europe.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #734: Oct 23, 2014 09:47:23 am
      They may well be European Champions but they are not the Champions of Spain.  We finished 2nd last year in Europe's toughest league - they finished 3rd in what is generally considered (apart from 3 or 4 sides) a fairly weak European league.

Let's not make out we were a non-league team reaching the FA Cup final.  No excuses for being nowhere near the ball or being able to retain it.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #735: Oct 23, 2014 09:53:11 am
      Watching the game in the local, although going 3  0 down before half time, at least the side didn't capitulate, like so many sides. At least the lads still tried to attack and could have easily pulled a goal back. But it is the same old problem defence badly needs sorting out, until then nothing will change I am afraid.

Quick Reply