Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Mario Balotelli’s scapegoating hides the real issues at Liverpool

Read 13524 times
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Re: Mario Balotelli’s scapegoating hides the real issues at Liverpool
      Reply #92: Oct 26, 2014 11:15:36 am
      Ballo looks static because he's not a lone striker and his movement and body language shows this. Some of our attacking problems have to be laid at Brendan's door IMO. We lost Suarez, ok but BR,s answer was to change formation and buy players to fit around this. Our best football last season was playing the diamond with 2 up top. You could say BR has been forced into playing Ballo up top on his own because of Sturridge,s injury, I don't get that either when we have lambert and Borini who could partner him. We need goals and we play a lone striker ? Ballo looked a lot better when Rickie came on yesterday. Ok I'm not saying Ballo is the best striker in the world but he is our striker and we need to play him to his strengths. It worked for Sturridge when BR played him as a forward and not out wide. If Danny was played out wide, last season, I think we would of seen his body language change.

The diamond formation is the way to go for me. When Danny is fit we'll have 4 strikers competing for those spaces. At the tip of the diamond we,ll have Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana plus we could use Markovic there as well. Gerrard, Hendo,Allen,Can,Lucas,Lallana and Coutinho can play in the midfield 3. My only worry is CB and GK. So lets stop crucifying Ballo for doing his best playing in a position where doesn't favour him. 

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #93: Oct 26, 2014 11:38:49 am
      Sweet F**k.  :roll:

Here's a thought, as controversial as it may sound - you have no right to call any Liverpool fans racist - which is [effectively] what you've just done. Flick that chip of your shoulder and quit being a dick.

Obviously not from Liverpool and blissfully unaware of it's multi-racial populace who have been getting on with it for hundreds of years, despite the misinformed and misguided who try to sh*t stir inferring hate and division.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #94: Oct 26, 2014 11:40:04 am
      Back to Mario topic, how many strikers did we have in recent years not knowing a long goal dry spells, where they have dozens of clear chances and just lack the confidence or final move to push them in the net ?

I can only think of Sturridge to never have had one rarely playing more than 3 games without scoring (but as he's injury prone, those 3 games may often be 5 or 6 played by the club) .

Michael Owen had a spell of a dozen games without scoring in 1999-2000.
      Fowler had several long dry spells as well, in 97-98 notably, and when he came back to the club in the 2000s.
      Torres spent many games without scoring in 2010-2011, only awakening in december.
      N'Gog, while he wasn't quality still scored like 5 or 6 goals in his first 20 appearances, only to spend the next 25 without one.
      Suarez while he had a good start in 2010-11, was the king of the woodwork and other close misses in 2011-12, he had the most awful spell of his carreer here needing about 20 clear chances to score one. Remember people here saying he had no goal scoring instinct at that time. :D
      Carroll needless to say wasn't regular either.
      Etc...

Main problem of Balotelli is he's having one of the worst spell of his carreer (he had a worst one in his last year at City not scoring one in 15 appearances or so, but he was not a starter there, and out of this one was rather regular if not extremely prolific)  just when joining us, generating more doubts than if he had one after 10-15 games like some of his predecessors (including in his own head probably).

Not saying he doesn't need to improve his play, and we don't need to adapt to his strength. But strikers having a bad spell, starting with some unlucky games, and continuing with a lack of confidence that makes them miss complete sitters, is nothing new, be it in football in general or here in particular, and even for players you can't question the efforts or quality.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #95: Oct 26, 2014 11:47:36 am
      Couldn't agree more that Balotelli's antics are providing a massive sideshow to the real issues at the club at the moment. Everyone's focusing on him, and forgetting about the fact that we have a back line who look like they've never seen a footy before - never mind each other.

On Balotelli, I don't think he works particularly well playing as a lone striker. Why we've persisted with this approach is beyond me. The glimpses we've had of Balotelli playing with another striker, West Ham aside, have shown more promise than Balotelli playing alone. Lambert coming on yesterday supports this.

I genuinely like Rodgers but hanging Balotelli out to dry, while the teams' set ups haven't exactly been in his favour, has been a big negative for me - along with seemingly doing F**k all about the defensive problems. Ironic that this has been the only effective use Rodgers has had for him - he hasn't got that wrong has he?

Here's a thought, as controversial as it may sound..

Could it be that LFC fans don't appreciate his body language because he is [effectively] African? We're not used to Africans playing for LFC. Perhaps there is a misinterpretation..

It's only recently that we've had a Nigerian, an Ivorian, and now a Ghanaian (Mario).. all 3 have been criticised for their 'body language' and 'attitude'.

I didn't appreciate Torres' body language or attitude in his last few months at the club. What part of Africa is he from?

To answer your question seriously, I don't think that what you have said is an issue at all. We have a wide spread of fans from across the world and many seem to be on the same page on him. But to be fair to him, he hasn't looked particularly interested at any of the clubs he's been at - why is anyone surprised?
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #96: Oct 26, 2014 12:03:18 pm
      you have no right to call any Liverpool fans racist

:roll:

The idea may be a bit 'out there' but your jump to racism is more absurd.

It was a suggestion, and quite plausible.

Lukaku
      Eto'o
      Moses
      Drogba
      Balotelli

Just a few names there. All criticised for the same 'body language'.

Just a thought. That's all.

DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #97: Oct 26, 2014 12:11:27 pm
      DanMann you are still there ?? Moses plays for Stoke City you know.

Suarez plays for Barcelona..

Have you stopped watching LFC? Changed your allegiance?

I like Moses. He's a decent player, and he's showing that with Stoke, but I was a LFC fan long, long before last season.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #98: Oct 26, 2014 12:16:42 pm
      At best Mario will get us 13 goals a season that's his record so far but he will give NO assists.
      Funny enough we already have someone who will get us 13 goals per season but also a similar number of assists he is called Lambert so why did we buy Mario.
      So Mario is probably getting stick for not being Luis he is in a similar position "The Chosen One" and we all know how that ended.
      In stead of buying a replacement for Luis we have bought a replacement for  Lambert.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #99: Oct 26, 2014 12:30:47 pm
      People keep saying he is not a lone striker but can anyone tell me who he has struck up a good partnership with?.
      He showed huge potential as a kid but he has never developed into a world star has he.

I too would like to know where they get this idea that Mario is better with a partner. I for one have been watching him since City, and he's just as bad or average with a partner up front.

I'm sure as a kid, between 16-18, he was a huge talent, but with so many overhyped wonder kids, they fizzle out and become nothing than an average player when they step up to the professional game.

I'm sorry, but for me, Balo is our Bendtner, egotistico and average at best.
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 886 
      Reply #100: Oct 26, 2014 12:33:20 pm
      Am pretty sure the idea was to play him alongside Daniel Sturridge aren't you? So maybe when he returns, we will only be able to judge Balotelli as someone who has improved our chances.

Once Sturridge is back and it would be wrong to expect immediate results, Balotelli will score goals.

Believe this too. Last season we had Suarez and Sturridge. Right now... Balotelli.. yet we seem to expect the same.

Let's see how he gets on with a strike partner. He did better with Lambert.

Sturridge struggles at times when he is up top on his own.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #101: Oct 26, 2014 12:38:33 pm
      He's been playing exactly as I expected.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #102: Oct 26, 2014 12:44:03 pm
      Am pretty sure the idea was to play him alongside Daniel Sturridge aren't you? So maybe when he returns, we will only be able to judge Balotelli as someone who has improved our chances.

You ask a good question in who has he formed a partnership with and it's a valid point...no one is the answer. So he needs to be played to his strengths and given service just like anyone else.

Balotelli's goalscoring record isn't that impressive for any striker. 80+ goals at club level since about 8 years, about 60 of these were as a lone striker at Milan and Inter. So is it really that bad?

He needs the platform to shine. Once Sturridge is back and it would be wrong to expect immediate results, Balotelli will score goals.

do you think Lambert would offer the same sort of support to Daniel.I think Daniel would benefit more from playing with Ricky as he has a  good a record of assists where as Mario has virtually no assists. It makes his signature and that of Ricky Lambert just baffling. If  we paid £22 mil for the pair and wages will be in excess of £120k per week it looks to me we could have spent both the transfer fee and the wages much much better
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #103: Oct 26, 2014 01:10:54 pm
      The idea may be a bit 'out there' but your jump to racism is more absurd.
      Hmm... right, okay Dan.

It was a suggestion, and quite plausible.
      What was plausible (and not racist) - the suggestion that Liverpool fans only seem to pick up on the body language of black players or "Africans" [as you so delicately put it]? Or the suggestion that "Africans" have different 'body language?

Can you see how it may be picked up, (let's just say) "differently" to how you intended it?  :confused-smiley-013:

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #104: Oct 26, 2014 01:12:29 pm

I didn't appreciate Torres' body language or attitude in his last few months at the club.

What part of Africa is he from?

;D

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #105: Oct 26, 2014 01:19:41 pm
      Stick Mario in defence, we all know he won't let any in :D & he can't get worse that our 4 at the mo.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #106: Oct 26, 2014 01:24:22 pm
      Back to Mario topic, how many strikers did we have in recent years not knowing a long goal dry spells, where they have dozens of clear chances and just lack the confidence or final move to push them in the net ?

I can only think of Sturridge to never have had one rarely playing more than 3 games without scoring (but as he's injury prone, those 3 games may often be 5 or 6 played by the club) .

Michael Owen had a spell of a dozen games without scoring in 1999-2000.
      Fowler had several long dry spells as well, in 97-98 notably, and when he came back to the club in the 2000s.
      Torres spent many games without scoring in 2010-2011, only awakening in december.
      N'Gog, while he wasn't quality still scored like 5 or 6 goals in his first 20 appearances, only to spend the next 25 without one.
      Suarez while he had a good start in 2010-11, was the king of the woodwork and other close misses in 2011-12, he had the most awful spell of his carreer here needing about 20 clear chances to score one. Remember people here saying he had no goal scoring instinct at that time. :D
      Carroll needless to say wasn't regular either.
      Etc...

Main problem of Balotelli is he's having one of the worst spell of his carreer (he had a worst one in his last year at City not scoring one in 15 appearances or so, but he was not a starter there, and out of this one was rather regular if not extremely prolific)  just when joining us, generating more doubts than if he had one after 10-15 games like some of his predecessors (including in his own head probably).

Not saying he doesn't need to improve his play, and we don't need to adapt to his strength. But strikers having a bad spell, starting with some unlucky games, and continuing with a lack of confidence that makes them miss complete sitters, is nothing new, be it in football in general or here in particular, and even for players you can't question the efforts or quality.
      Peter Crouch i seem to remember had 18 or 19 games before he scored his first for us . Rafa remained patient as was the Anfield faithful . Those were the days .

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #107: Oct 26, 2014 01:30:45 pm
      Balotelli's goalscoring record isn't that impressive for any striker.
      And that, my friend, might just be the real 'problem'.  ;)

Not his body language. Not his 'antics'. Not 'lone striker'/twin striker... just the fact that for a striker he never has and probably never will score enough goals to be rated top class. Then again (and this is where it gets confusing)...

He needs the platform to shine. Once Sturridge is back and it would be wrong to expect immediate results, Balotelli will score goals.
      ... Although you identify, quite rightly, that he's never been that good in front of goal and we can't expect immediate results; you say he will score goals. You're not exactly sticking your neck out [more like hedging your bets to be honest] fella so, just to be clear - in your opinion; will Mario ever score enough goals - yes or no?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #108: Oct 26, 2014 01:31:06 pm
      Peter Crouch i seem to remember had 18 or 19 games before he scored his first for us . Rafa remained patient as was the Anfield faithful . Those were the days .

Slight difference though, Crouchinho was fantastic with his feet, very good at hold up play and was a team player. One of the best target men I've seen in the PL!
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #109: Oct 26, 2014 01:31:52 pm
      do you think Lambert would offer the same sort of support to Daniel.I think Daniel would benefit more from playing with Ricky as he has a  good a record of assists where as Mario has virtually no assists. It makes his signature and that of Ricky Lambert just baffling. If  we paid £22 mil for the pair and wages will be in excess of £120k per week it looks to me we could have spent both the transfer fee and the wages much much better
      Yes, he is more of a Centre Forward and should feed and feed off Sturridge really well but even if BR does off load Balotelli in January and a replacement found, Lambert still wouldn't be first choice along with Sturridge.

Lambert must wonder what he has to do to get a PL start, but no manager would, after bringing in a player of Balotelli's profile, drop him just 9 weeks into the season.

Lambert was bought as back up to no one when he was signed, which you quite rightly say is baffling.

Balotelli has much to prove. No one will ever change him as a person. Let's face it Luis, as good a player he is, had a nasty side.

Balotelli, is a talent, regardless of what people say and will score goals. He has wherever else he has been. Not prolific, but how many players are these days?

Don't let me down Mario!!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #110: Oct 26, 2014 01:32:25 pm
      Hmm... right, okay Dan.
      What was plausible (and not racist) - the suggestion that Liverpool fans only seem to pick up on the body language of black players or "Africans" [as you so delicately put it]? Or the suggestion that "Africans" have different 'body language?

Can you see how it may be picked up, (let's just say) "differently" to how you intended it?  :confused-smiley-013:

No other way to interpret those comments bud, in whatever context used they are affected views.
      There is no coming back from such statements and to attempt to justify the insinuation implied just compounds the offence.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #111: Oct 26, 2014 01:33:57 pm
      Peter Crouch i seem to remember had 18 or 19 games before he scored his first for us. Rafa remained patient
      And Crouch was never any way prolific enough for a team with ambition either... that's exactly why Rafa got rid of him.  >:D
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #112: Oct 26, 2014 01:34:03 pm
      Yes, he is more of a Centre Forward and should feed and feed off Sturridge really well but even if BR does off load Balotelli in January and a replacement found, Lambert still wouldn't be first choice along with Sturridge.

Lambert must wonder what he has to do to get a PL start, but no manager would, after bringing in a player of Balotelli's profile, drop him just 9 weeks into the season.

Lambert was bought as back up to no one when he was signed, which you quite rightly say is baffling.

Balotelli has much to prove. No one will ever change him as a person. Let's face it Luis, as good a player he is, had a nasty side.

Balotelli, is a talent, regardless of what people say and will score goals. He has wherever else he has been. Not prolific, but how many players are these days?

Don't let me down Mario!!

he has the same record as Lambert but Lambert knows how to create goals as well.My question is why by Mario when you have Lambert who will score the same number of goals but also create as well.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #113: Oct 26, 2014 01:41:08 pm
      And Crouch was never any way prolific enough for a team with ambition either... that's exactly why Rafa got rid of him.  >:D

And lets say Rodgers gets shut of Balotelli in January , who does he bring in ? He had all summer to sort it out and couldn't .Plus Rafa didn't give 5 months before getting shut .

jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #114: Oct 26, 2014 01:49:49 pm
      And that, my friend, might just be the real 'problem'.  ;)

Not his body language. Not his 'antics'. Not 'lone striker'/twin striker... just the fact that for a striker he never has and probably never will score enough goals to be rated top class. Then again (and this is where it gets confusing)...
      ... Although you identify, quite rightly, that he's never been that good in front of goal and we can't expect immediate results; you say he will score goals. You're not exactly sticking your neck out [more like hedging your bets to be honest] fella so, just to be clear - in your opinion; will Mario ever score enough goals - yes or no?

I don't think he will score enough to have a career at Liverpool, but your question begs another...how many would be enough? It's the norm that one of a pairing of Strikers will score more than the other.

However, I can't see Balotelli assisting Sturridge too many times and so it could turn out that Balotelli was to score more than Sturridge. We don't yet know how it will pan out. Either way, Balotelli will score but the important thing will be how hard he is prepared to work. If he was to score a handful and have the team ethic, he will keep fans on his side which could be enough to see him at Anfield for a season or two.

Quick Reply