Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool Football Club Legends Art Project : 'THE RED SEA'

Read 3793 times
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Liverpool Football Club Legends Art Project : 'THE RED SEA'
      Oct 24, 2014 02:37:44 pm
      Hi fellow Reds,

I just wanted to share with you a project that I'm working on at the moment that's been years in the planning. It's definitely a labour of love however it is now currently meandering forward at a snail's pace and was looking to get any type of support to get me over the line.
      Letter to Liverpool Football Club

My name is Ali Erkekli. I am an Aussie, living in Melbourne, and have been an ardent fan of Liverpool Football Club for 34 years. In all of this time I have been fascinated with the history of the club and am a long term collector of club memorabilia. The following project in a way that honours and acknowledges the club and the abundant sports talent it represents.

For many years I have been assembling club memorabilia to fulfill a dream. This dream has been to put together a fantasy team image where many of the legendary players and other important personnel since 1892 stand alongside modern players in a celebration of the abundant talent that has permeated the history of the club. The painting will encapsulate all that is grand and majestic about the club. The idea was home borne out of the desire to have all our champions, legends, and long-time servants seated together, if ‘time travel’ was possible.

My dream is to create a mural-sized painting using oils on canvas to realistically represent the players as if they are posing together simultaneously for a team photo. Then, once the painting is complete, I plan to have it scanned and reproduced in a poster size image would considerably sharpen the portraits of the players and will give the impression that is based on a ‘real’  photograph.
      The idea has never been done before and I believe it will have enormous appeal to the club’s fans internationally. Inevitably, in a project of this size, it takes many years of selection of players to get it as accurately as possible. To finalise the selection was an arduous task as it was very difficult to discard some famous names. I have chosen the ‘Crème de la Crème’ of the Mighty Reds. They had to pass a certain criteria in games played, goals scored, longevity, impact made on the Kop and supporters.
      The project to date:
      To date I have painstakingly assembled together images of 106 figures of players, coaches and managers and organised them into five rows. A template has been constructed to strategically place these 106 figures, the positioning of which will greatly enhance the final result.
      The process of determining who was to be included was extensive .The final 106 was chosen in respect of their grand service of the club. I have decided to have 96 players, in symbolic tribute to the unfortunate supporters who passed away at Hillsborough. The canvas is  5.7m x 2.3m.

There is currently 3-4 months of painting left on the painting however the 'hard-yards' have been done and most of the painting has been 1st coated with 2-3 coats/layers of paint to come.
      The front row still has much work to do as the players positions and what they'll look like is still to be done.

The final product will be of great realism and will look much better than you see in these photos.
      I'm excited to say that I have made an initial enquiry to the club and so far have had a positive response however I'm still awaiting an answer to my official proposal to try and get this artwork displayed at Anfield. Here's hoping.
      « Last Edit: Oct 25, 2014 12:53:01 pm by RedStorm »
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      Re: Liverpool Football Club Legends Art Project : 'THE RED SEA'
      Reply #1: Oct 24, 2014 03:07:29 pm
      'THE RED SEA'
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2: Oct 24, 2014 03:38:30 pm
      That's brilliant Redstorm.....would love to see that in the Musuem at Anfield.

Good Luck hun with your project, maybe Stephen Done (the curator of the musuem) might be able to help you if you sent him an e-mail via the club.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #3: Oct 27, 2014 09:12:16 am
      That is excellent work Redstorm, you have brought realism to the players with your artistry well done.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #4: Oct 27, 2014 11:31:27 am
      Tremendous work mate, your dedication is commendable.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      Reply #5: Oct 27, 2014 12:58:03 pm
      Thank you Cas, Billy and Stuey, very much for your kind words of support.

I'm very much looking forward to getting it finished for the world to see.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #6: Oct 27, 2014 03:37:56 pm
      F***ing boss mate.

I don't know exactly how long you've been working on it but it's nearing two years since I first heard mention of it. And it's certainly showing that it's been time well spent.

Especially like all the different kits rather than just throwing them all in a Red shirt.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #7: Oct 27, 2014 06:27:22 pm
      F***ing boss mate.

I don't know exactly how long you've been working on it but it's nearing two years since I first heard mention of it. And it's certainly showing that it's been time well spent.

Especially like all the different kits rather than just throwing them all in a Red shirt.

The first thing I noticed Billy was the strip on my Liverpool Hero of all time the late great Billy Liddell. The white shorts, the white collar on the shirt, the red and white socks, the white oval badge with the liver bird on the shirt. When I saw that it took me back to being a young lad again I can tell you.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #8: Oct 28, 2014 12:08:43 am
      Mate that is outstanding.

Love Shanks front and Center.

You must have a lot of time on your hands but that is just amazing and all your hard work is about to pay off big time.

Dont forget to take your mates ( cough cough) to Anfield when they invite you over.

One question...where are you going to find an envelope that big when it's time to post it?  ;)

Fantastic work Bud. You must be so proud.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      Reply #9: Oct 28, 2014 07:54:12 am
      F***ing boss mate.

Thanks Billy(s). I gives me great pleasure to be able to bring our glorious past to life. We are paying particular attention to Billy Liddell and will make him and his kit look very authentic. There's something about the strip that he's wearing that is so iconic.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Oct 28, 2014 08:06:23 am
      Stand by Ali for all the accolades that are going to come your way and  deservedly so,cheers :kop5cf8koxp6:
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      Reply #11: Oct 28, 2014 10:37:27 am
      Mate that is outstanding.

Love Shanks front and Center.

You must have a lot of time on your hands but that is just amazing and all your hard work is about to pay off big time.

Dont forget to take your mates ( cough cough) to Anfield when they invite you over.

One question...where are you going to find an envelope that big when it's time to post it?  ;)

Fantastic work Bud. You must be so proud.
      Thanks Ian. I actually have no spare time but I compiled and organised every night for many years.

The more the merrier mate. If I can ever fulfil the dream of having the painting hang in our Museum or somewhere within Anfield, then I'd be happier than a pig in mud!

I've just emailed Stephen Done at the LFC Museum, as Cas had suggested. Here's hoping it will be accepted.
      The pleasing thing is the feedback is already overwhemingly positive, and I know the detail will in realism is still to amp up, 10-fold.

As for the envelope, I'd fashion one up myself  ;D I'd have to roll it up ( calm down Ian, it's not to light up  ;)  and tube it up and fly with it over.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      Reply #12: Oct 28, 2014 10:48:06 am
      Front row still has so much work to have done to it. Shanks will be wearing the suit in the photo and be made to look far more 'real' with the next 2 coats.

Looking at the names that will feature in the royalty of the front row please me no end and makes me feel so proud to be a Red:
      Shanks, The King, Liddell, StevieG, Hunt, Fowler, Keegan, Rush, Suarez, Hughes, Callaghan, Yeats, Neal, Barnes, Hodgson, Raisbeck, Smith, Owen, St.John, Chambers........WOW!!!

Quick Reply