Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

A trip down Agony Lane.

Read 3911 times
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Re: A trip down Agony Lane.
      Reply #23: Oct 26, 2014 09:16:50 pm
      Numerous errors were made. Some were easily remediable. Others harder.

1)Selling Souness.
      2)Complacent and overcautious attitude to stadium dvlt in the 80s and on.
      Likewise on catering for and developing our new regional, national and intl fan base in the 80s, 90s and on.
      3)Reluctance to challenge the witch-hunt on Euro ban.
      4)Reluctance to challenge the bullshit "gentrification"(all seater bollocks) that certain forces used Hillsborough as an excuse to implement.
      5)Failure to do a proper rebuild when Kenny resigned. Too much also ran signings. This happened until the Rafa era.
      6)A terrible abuse of the golden era players of the McManaman, Owen, Fowler, Redknapp etc era.
      Causing them to leave/have careers ravaged by injuries.
      Some of those could still have been playing even today - just like the Mancs had a "shadow squad" of their snrs.
      7) Moores refusal to do a rights issue/bring in co-investors/more fan ownership
      for a new/better ground and better players.
      8)Pissing round with ridiculous managers like both Roys/Woys.
      9)Moores selling to the 2 shitstains.
      10)RBS letting the next sh*t stains take over.
      11)Spirit of the fans being broken, meaning they now positively accept 5th even 7th place and actually THANK the slippery Yanksters.

PS the sad part I think is that we (somewhat!) managed to remedy the lesser problems of the 80s, 90s and 00s when we got to Euro Cup finals in 05 and 07. But the sale of Xabi and no replacement (remember Rafa wanted Jovetic but the owners refused to honour their agreement with Rafa to back him) was the 1st big blow of the current era. And the Luis sale was the most recent nail in the clubs current coffin. Imagine if we'd kept all those stars from the Rafa era PLUS Luis! Inevitably this an the failure to invest were MASSIVE blows.

disagree on no 6 , mcmanaman, fowler & co. threw their liverpool careers away by their lavish lifestyle (see spice boys link), what was the problem is the fact that we didnt have a manager like fergie who could control them, and they were even mocking our manager while training, totally unacceptable behaviour
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #24: Oct 26, 2014 10:44:42 pm
      disagree on no 6 , mcmanaman, fowler & co. threw their liverpool careers away by their lavish lifestyle (see spice boys link), what was the problem is the fact that we didnt have a manager like fergie who could control them, and they were even mocking our manager while training, totally unacceptable behaviour

I agree George. What I meant is that they were played too much when young. For instance Jamie flying into tackles as a 19 yr old etc.  Every single one of them retired early/destroyed themselves - Jones, Redknapp, Fowler, McManaman, Owen.
      And earlier - Heggem.

You are right, most of em - eg Fowler and McManaman were real lazy buggers. As was James and Ruddock etc. I'm sure Fowler's drinking and overweight contributed to his injuries too. Roy Evans was nowhere near managerial class, great bloke tho he is. We'd  certainly lost a few things at the club in the spice boys era. Belief, professionalism, ambition, and other things I'm not sure how to describe.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #25: Oct 27, 2014 01:44:37 am
      I agree George. What I meant is that they were played too much when young. For instance Jamie flying into tackles as a 19 yr old etc.  Every single one of them retired early/destroyed themselves - Jones, Redknapp, Fowler, McManaman, Owen.
      And earlier - Heggem.

You are right, most of em - eg Fowler and McManaman were real lazy buggers. As was James and Ruddock etc. I'm sure Fowler's drinking and overweight contributed to his injuries too. Roy Evans was nowhere near managerial class, great bloke tho he is. We'd  certainly lost a few things at the club in the spice boys era. Belief, professionalism, ambition, and other things I'm not sure how to describe.

Did not the same Roy Evans win the Central league 4 years on the trot when he was the reserve trainer  in the early 1970s. I know he had good men backing him in Bill, Bob ,and  Joe, but it was still a fantastic achievement on his part.

Quick Reply