Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match vs Hull

Mignolet
      1 (2.1%)
      Manquillo
      0 (0%)
      Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Skrtel
      2 (4.3%)
      Moreno
      1 (2.1%)
      Allen
      0 (0%)
      Can
      3 (6.4%)
      Gerrard (c)
      3 (6.4%)
      Sterling
      1 (2.1%)
      Lallana
      2 (4.3%)
      Balotelli
      2 (4.3%)
      Coutinho (sub)
      30 (63.8%)
      Lambert (sub)
      2 (4.3%)
      Henderson (sub)
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: Oct 28, 2014 05:35:41 pm

Liverpool 0 - 0 Hull: In Game & Post Game Wondering

Read 24757 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Liverpool 0 - 0 Hull: In Game & Post Game Wondering
      Reply #483: Oct 26, 2014 01:52:24 am

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says his side were "excellent" their 0-0 draw at home to Hull City.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29771527

Doesn't surprise me. Wonder what superlatives he'll use if we ever win a game by a 2 goal margin!
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #484: Oct 26, 2014 07:15:39 am
      A little more than Suarez in 2011-2012 as he's not as good but is as much in a bad spell ?
      A little less than Torres in 2010-2011 as he's sulking at times but not as much ?
      Keep faith, 15-20 more and it should be good. :p

I really hope so, mate. But, truth be told, I am losing confidence on him. He doesn't look like scoring and it looks like the team is trying hard to make him score. This is slowly turning into Carroll part 2.

Having said that,Gerrard put in a lot of superb balls from set pieces. Isn't there anybody who could put the ball in?

The boss needs to take the blame today. I can think of league cup being the reason behind not starting couts and hendo. Probably, Brendan wants to give that a good go.

And, after all the talk of protecting Sterling from burning out, we are playing him in every game. We are over- reliant on a 19 year old to produce magic. I am excited only when the ball is passed to him. Says a lot really! (And, he didn't have a good game either.)

If only the ball had gone in..some scrappy goal..some own goal. But, that would have papered over the obvious cracks. The boss needs to find a solution to our problems. We are still only 2 points off fourth in spite of the poor performances.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #485: Oct 26, 2014 07:26:20 am
      Doesn't surprise me. Wonder what superlatives he'll use if we ever win a game by a 2 goal margin!
      I don't even watch the BR press conferences anymore, he comes out with the same old stuff everytime.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #486: Oct 26, 2014 08:21:40 am
      With due respect to BR, the more I think about it, recalling the last few weeks or so, I believe  BR has finally come to realise that he can't use Balo as a lone striker when many of us could see that very early. But that's after 6 or 7 games and BR finally saw that, but we have dropped enough points already by over experimenting.

I'm asking the following questions and I'm sure some are doing the same :-

1. Why did we start so slowly as opposed to Southampton, they've got in as many players as we did. Could it be that our training programme is not focused enough (on tactics) and/or not vigorous enough to get the results or that we did not train hard enough to play the game to suit the new players strenghts? Or did we overspend time in training on basic footballing skills that will not hurt the opposition? Or did we over extend the period of our welcoming the new players which gave them the impression that it's ok not to perform and that they'll be given time? But time is not on our side and if we're not careful we'll slide towards the wrong end of the table. Luckily others are as inconsistent as us, otherwise 5 or 6 teams would have pulled away.

Let's compare us against Swansea and West Ham, ok they don't have 11 world class players and they may not end up in top 4, but their games so far are so fluid compare to us.. Could it be that they have a serious and effective pre-season training programme while we were still jogging around trying to be fit and that we started looking at tactics just before the first game of the season?

The understanding of the players with other fellow players on the pitch were so alien and one would be forgiven to have thought that the players just got off the coach and straight onto the pitch.

2.  As soon as the news got in that Sturridge is injured, what did BR and the rest of the training crew did, as plan B? Change of formation, tactics and moving players around is what I'll come to expect? I did not see much though until this match. Balo is as isolated as ever before this match.

If some of us could see the flaws early and it took BR so many games, I'm getting worried.

When some of us said a few games back; get Stevie further up the field as an AM since he's of no use as a DM and get someone to play beside Balo. When we thought, since Balo can't be the lone striker then there must be some combos in-place involving him in attack This is just what BR did in the 2nd half against Hull and it nearly paid-off.

When many of us, call us keyboard warriors or whatever could detect the weaknesses in the team and it took BR so much longer to realise and change things round, I'm getting worried, truly worried when we have a few more injuries. 

« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2014 10:14:28 am by redkop63 »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #487: Oct 26, 2014 08:54:26 am
      I don't even watch the BR press conferences anymore, he comes out with the same old stuff everytime.

Gave up when he started using cool speak like .... " joining in the conversation"   .

Just watched MOTD. Interesting from Ruud Gullit. Showing how that because Sterling and Lallana kept running inside against a 5 man defence, Balotelli had no room to run in to. If they'd drifted outside they'd have pulled defenders out of position and given him more space. Seems to have been a tactical mistake by Brendan rather than any thing to do with the players.

I saw that
      Had to think to myself that a simple tactical play like that can be exposed by a pundit ..... then how naive tactically is our manager ....of a Premier League football club?

Ive quoted before. If you cant dazzle 'em with brilliance them baffle 'em with bullshit.

It now seems Luis was the brilliance.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #488: Oct 26, 2014 09:03:01 am
      He came in as an impact player and a game changer. It is not all the time that you field the best 11. You have a duty to exploit the opposition's weaknesses and strengths to your advantage.
      Disagree. It is always the case that you always field your best 11. At least if you're serious about winning things

Fair enough if it is a friendly but this wasn't
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #489: Oct 26, 2014 09:10:07 am
      What to say? Erm... we had a strong bench yesterday?  :-\
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #490: Oct 26, 2014 09:25:33 am
      What to say? Erm... we had a strong bench yesterday?  :-\

Not often we can say we had game changers on the bench!  :f_tongueincheek:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #491: Oct 26, 2014 10:10:35 am
      Its mind blowing to think anyone would take a positive from a 0-0 draw at Anfield against Hull.
      without using the word as a joke we have no bite in this team no soul and no heart. Since Stevie's decline over the past few years and Luis's departure we have lost the identity of the team.This is a bland team with no real character which is reflected in its results. We need men and we have boys.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #492: Oct 26, 2014 11:44:25 am
      Its mind blowing to think anyone would take a positive from a 0-0 draw at Anfield against Hull.
      without using the word as a joke we have no bite in this team no soul and no heart. Since Stevie's decline over the past few years and Luis's departure we have lost the identity of the team.This is a bland team with no real character which is reflected in its results. We need men and we have boys.

Agree for most part Walt.

Would like to say with regards to the result slight improvement on the first time we played them last year they did us 2-0.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #493: Oct 26, 2014 12:10:02 pm
      Having cooled down from yesterday I think the reason Brendan went to cautious yesterday in the first half playing 3 defensive mids is he might be trying to go back to basics. Build a solid foundation so we don't leak goals and build confidence. I expect a bit more of the same but hoping we click a bit further forward. No point being solid if we are so blunt up top.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #494: Oct 26, 2014 12:21:43 pm
      It was quite a weird game actually. I was impressed and frustrated watching it.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #495: Oct 26, 2014 08:30:45 pm
      I had a strange dream on Thursday. I went in a nice seafood bar. Ordered my favourite, and paid for it. Its quite expensive, but the place is quite a big name in seafood. I ordered the seafood platter - which has king prawns, smoked salmon, crab and lobster. Anyway, it was quite a long wait. And I noticed other orders were being delivered while I was waiting. EVentually, I notice a table just over from mine. There was a seafood platter and two Spaniards were tucking into it, with some posh bloke from Knightbridge, Chelsea somewhere like that. So I said to the waiter as he walked past. "Erm I ordered one of those AGES ago, but those 3 are tucking into it. There must have been some mistake, yeah?" I asked him.

The waiter said, "no no mistake Sir, yours will be ready very soon". And he turns around. I watch the 2 Spaniards pick up the last chunks of lobster, stick it in their gobs, and rub their stomachs. "Hmm delicious" they say, giggling in my direction.
      "Ah" exclaims the waiter, "Yours is here now". And he hands me the  plate the other 3 were eating from, now with just some leftover salad. He then empties half a tin on tuna onto the plate. "Bon appetit"he says. So I say to the waiter "what the f**k is this?" And he replies "your seafood Sir, you didn't complain last time when I left off the tiger prawns+crab, and the time before when I had the smoked salmon off it. Everyone loves my famous restaurant.. look it is full. Really, there is no pleasing some people!"

Anyway, I decided to knock it on the head on Friday. Let someone else have my tickets for the Hull game.
      It was a funny feeling on Sat. First time since press favourite Woy the  blert was masquerading as a football manager in L4.
      What did I miss? Not a lot.
      « Last Edit: Oct 26, 2014 10:50:34 pm by AmericanPlant »
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #496: Oct 26, 2014 08:35:42 pm
      I had a strange dream on Thursday. I went in a nice seafood bar. Ordered my favourite, and paid for it. Its quite expensive, but the place is quite a big name in seafood. I ordered the seafood platter - which has king prawns, smoked salmon, crab and lobster. Anyway, it was quite a long wait. And I noticed other orders were being delivered while I was waiting. EVentually, I notice a table just over from mine. There was a seafood platter and two Spaniards were tucking into it, with some posh bloke from Knightbridge, Chelsea somewhere like that. So I said to the waiter as he walked past. "Erm I ordered one of those AGES ago, but those 3 are tucking into it. There must have been some mistake, yeah?" I asked him.

The waiter said, "no no mistake Sir, yours will be ready very soon". And he turns around. I watch the 2 Spaniards pick up the last chunks of lobster, stick it in their gobs, and rub their stomachs. "Hmm delicious" they say, giggling in my direction.
      "Ah" exclaims the waiter, "Yours is here now". And he hands me a plate with some leftover salad and empties half a tin on tuna onto the plate. "Bon appetit". So I say to the waiter "what the f**k is this?" And he replies "your seafood Sir, you didn't complain last time when I left off the tiger prawns+crab, and the time before when I had the smoked salmon off it. Everyone loves my famous restaurant.. look it is full. Really, there is no pleasing some people!"

Anyway, I decided to knock it on the head on Friday. Let someone else have my tickets for the Hull game.
      It was a funny feeling on Sat. First time since press favourite Woy the  blert was masquerading as a football manager in L4.
      What did I miss? Not a lot.

Maybe if you leave the tuna on the plate for a year or two, it will mature into a really nice dish :)
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #497: Oct 26, 2014 08:42:51 pm
      Having cooled down from yesterday I think the reason Brendan went to cautious yesterday in the first half playing 3 defensive mids is he might be trying to go back to basics. Build a solid foundation so we don't leak goals and build confidence. I expect a bit more of the same but hoping we click a bit further forward. No point being solid if we are so blunt up top.

Without a doubt mate, and I still think he could have done that but also maintained a bit of brightness up front. Lallana could have played the position Just as well and offered so much more going forward or sterling could have played up top and kept them far more honest at the back rather than allowing them to push up and press the ball.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #498: Oct 26, 2014 09:26:12 pm
      we were playing f**king hull, not a top side, but maybe he learns from this game, and plays 2 upfront from now on
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #499: Oct 27, 2014 10:09:10 am
      I've been saying it for a while now but Coutinho needs to start every game for us.  Without him and Sturridge we look very ordinary indeed.

Back to basics, get Sterling out wide instead of this no.10 / second striker nonsense and get him running at full backs who he will beat all day with his pace. Lallana is a CM for me. Hasn't got the pace to play on the flanks and he is more effective in the middle anyway.

Coutinho HAS to play in the middle somewhere. Don't waste him out wide. Whether that is the furthest CM out of the three or playing off the forward. Wherever it is he needs a central role and he has to start every game for us.

Hurry up and get fit please Danny.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #500: Oct 27, 2014 10:21:21 am
      It is tactically naiive to still play Balotelli up top on his own when the fucktard can't score for love nor money at the moment. And to then come out and say the team was excellent is either an insult to us fans or proof that the manager is a fecking idiot, either way I'm starting to think he might need replacing, would love us to try and get Rafa back or maybe poach Koeman from Southampton.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #501: Oct 27, 2014 10:21:55 am
      Coutinho needs space to work in and the lack of space to work in because Rodgers has insisted on playing Balotelli as a lone striker has not been there. Hence his drop in form. He came on at a time when we brought on a second striker this weekend and all of a sudden there was movement up front for him to work with. Starting him every game will only work if you change the system we're currently playing.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #502: Oct 27, 2014 10:28:48 am

Good point.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #503: Oct 27, 2014 10:35:08 am
      Coutinho needs space to work in and the lack of space to work in because Rodgers has insisted on playing Balotelli as a lone striker has not been there. Hence his drop in form. He came on at a time when we brought on a second striker this weekend and all of a sudden there was movement up front for him to work with. Starting him every game will only work if you change the system we're currently playing.

He has still been our best player out of a bad bunch this season & an out of form Coutinho is still capable of creating something out of nothing. Anything decent we create always comes through him.

I'd also argue Balotelli would get more chances if Coutinho is somewhere near him no matter what system we play. Sterling cant link up the way Coutinho can.

Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #504: Oct 27, 2014 11:06:53 am
      Agree for most part Walt.

Would like to say with regards to the result slight improvement on the first time we played them last year they did us 2-0.

Hull have never beaten us 2-0, 3-1 at their place. we beat them 2-0 at Anfield. We drew 2-2 with the mighty Phil Brown's side a few years back
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #505: Oct 27, 2014 03:13:41 pm
      if i remember correctly phil brown's hull did a double on us

Quick Reply