Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

The summer transfer conundrum

Read 13417 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: The summer transfer conundrum
      Reply #92: Oct 27, 2014 04:18:24 pm
      You don't necessarily need money to build a strong team either.

We are shockingly bad in the RB position. Why didn't we match City and pay for Sagnas wages? If we match his wages and offer him a starting place in our 11, surely that is better than being a reserve to Zabaleta all season. 

Same for Ashley Cole. Hes placed in the top 5 cu*ts of all time but he's a great footballer. Pay him what he wants and bring him here. Ok if he wanted to move to Rome for the lifestyle and experience then that's fair enough, I'm just using his free transfer as an example.

Alex Song anyone? I'd have taken him on loan. How did West Ham beat us to it?

Demba Ba 4.7m.  I'd have snapped him up personally.

Eto?  Free.  Everton can't be paying high wages and he would have joined us over them, so why not go in for him? If anybody has seen him this season they would agree he still has quality. Very intelligent footballer.

Obviously the above are not to everybody's taste but in my opinion Sagna and Cole would walk into our team. Song probably would. Ba and Eto are better options than Borini and Lambert, possibly Balotelli. It goes against FSG's policy but we need quality rather than quantity and you don't always have to spend millions for it either.
      We could have got Lescott for free instead of spending 20 mil on Lovren .

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #93: Oct 27, 2014 04:31:34 pm
      We could have got Lescott for free instead of spending 20 mil on Lovren .

Good shout.

Cole, Sagna, Lescott, Song = costs nothing and improves our defence massively.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #94: Oct 27, 2014 04:39:03 pm
      So you don't  support the manager Luke?

I think most have not just some

Come on Jon you know me better.

It was a poke at those that simply want to ignore everything and pretend it will all sort itself out. I don't support the way we currently conduct our transfer business and don't believe left to it's own devices will it actually sort itself out.

Similarly to yourself on the Berahino rumour, that is probably where our committee would take us overpaying for unproven potential again.

I think it would be a mistake to leave things as they are for the January window because should we fail to get that right in terms of a striker then I feel top 4 can be forgotten. As you're already aware I don't think Brendan would survive finishing outside the top 4 no matter how much support and patience is called for.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #95: Oct 27, 2014 04:50:24 pm
      Come on Jon you know me better.

It was a poke at those that simply want to ignore everything and pretend it will all sort itself out. I don't support the way we currently conduct our transfer business and don't believe left to it's own devices will it actually sort itself out.

Similarly to yourself on the Berahino rumour, that is probably where our committee would take us overpaying for unproven potential again.

I think it would be a mistake to leave things as they are for the January window because should we fail to get that right in terms of a striker then I feel top 4 can be forgotten. As you're already aware I don't think Brendan would survive finishing outside the top 4 no matter how much support and patience is called for.

Interesting point at the end there mate, do you think he wouldn't survive if we failed to finish top four this season? I'm not convinced at all they would sack him if we didn't

Especially with Hogans recent comments about CL not being essential for our 'business model'

I think they have a man who will do their work within their structure they set out
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #96: Oct 27, 2014 04:55:54 pm
      Interesting point at the end there mate, do you think he wouldn't survive if we failed to finish top four this season? I'm not convinced at all they would sack him if we didn't

Especially with Hogans recent comments about CL not being essential for our 'business model'

I think they have a man who will do their work within their structure they set out

They're ruthless Jon, I don't care what they say publicly a summons to Boston would ensue should a top 4 not be achieved and a new man appointed.

Haven't seen the Hogan quotes about CL not being needed for our 'business model' does sound like a slap in the face for any LFC fan that. I don't care about their business model or investment I care only about the on field success of LFC and to protect that we do need CL football.

Interesting point you make at the end suggesting Brendan is a yes man then?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #97: Oct 27, 2014 05:00:50 pm
      Before I start, lets set price tags aside for a moment. A lot of them are adding another, albeit valid, factor into an already convoluted F**k up.

I personally think if Lovren would have hit the ground running and Sturridge wouldn't have got injured I don't think we'd be all that concerned.

Lambert would have been on the outskirts of the side, as was the plan, and Balotelli would have had an actual strike partner and would probably be looking much more effective. Lallana would be doing what he is doing, which is fine so far. Markovic would be a prospect who needed a year to settle into a new league. Moreno and Manquillo would be doing what they are doing so far, with a stronger centre half pairing to fall back on.

So while it's all ifs and buts from me, in short, it looks like I'm blaming everything on Lovren! :D

Haha leave it out mate there'll be a scapegoat thread kickin off soon, the Balotelli one is going well.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #98: Oct 27, 2014 05:09:40 pm
      They're ruthless Jon, I don't care what they say publicly a summons to Boston would ensue should a top 4 not be achieved and a new man appointed.

Haven't seen the Hogan quotes about CL not being needed for our 'business model' does sound like a slap in the face for any LFC fan that. I don't care about their business model or investment I care only about the on field success of LFC and to protect that we do need CL football.

Interesting point you make at the end suggesting Brendan is a yes man then?

I think he was carefully selected to be someone who buy I to their way of doing things and will work within it yes, no doubt to me. One that would happily go along with the buy the young potential to develop and grow rather than bang the drum for the established world class star..
      I don't think it's a coincidence they went for a Rodgers over a van Gaal/Rafa character after they got rid of Kenny..  Managers who would have gone against it and demanded ( even publicly) that we were very close last season and additions of the nature of Di Maria and Higuain would almost certainly push us closer than signings of Markovic and Balotelli..
      But that isn't what Fenway want and the former two would cost cost 100m in fees and say 20 million a year in wages as opposed to the 36 in fees and 7 million in wages.. And likely Di Maria and Higuain wouldn't have a sell on in 4 years.

So yes I think Rodgers was specifically chosen.

He is also very media savvy and open as opposed to Kenny and his ilk..

I'm not convinced at all he would be sacked mate.. In fact I'd I were  betting I'd say he wouldn't
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #99: Oct 27, 2014 05:10:05 pm
      Good shout.

Cole, Sagna, Lescott, Song = costs nothing and improves our defence massively.

Is this the same Cole who to be substituted at half time against Bayern as he was so bad. Sagna who cant get a game for City and Lescott who is generally sh*t.
      We dont play with a DM otherwise Lucas would have got games.

Seriously guys we have international defenders who play pretty well for their country so bringing in the ones mentioned above would make no difference and in fact they are inferior to the ones we already have.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #100: Oct 27, 2014 05:11:24 pm
      Is this the same Cole who to be substituted at half time against Bayern as he was so bad. Sagna who cant get a game for City and Lescott who is generally sh*t.
      We dont play with a DM otherwise Lucas would have got games.

Seriously guys we have international defenders who play pretty well for their country so bringing in the ones mentioned above would make no difference and in fact they are inferior to the ones we already have.

Grass and green springs to mind mate.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #101: Oct 27, 2014 05:13:07 pm
      I think he was carefully selected to be someone who buy I to their way of doing things and will work within it yes, no doubt to me. One that would happily go along with the bit the young potential to develop and grow rather than band the drum for the established world class star..
      I don't think it's a coincidence they went for a Rodgers over a van Gaal/Rafa character after they got rid of Kenny..  Managers who would have gone against it and demanded ( even publicly) that we were very close last season and additions of the nature of Di Maria and Higuain would almost certainly push us closer than signings of Markovic and Balotelli..
      But that isn't what Fenway want and the former two would face cost 100m in fees and say 20 million a year in wages as opposed to the 36 in fees and 7 million in wages.. And likely Di Maria and Higuain wouldn't have a sell on in 4 years.

So yes I think Rodgers was specifically chosen.

He is also very media savvy and open as opposed to Kenny and his ilk..

I'm not convinced at all he would be sacked mate.. In fact I'd I were  betting I'd say he wouldn't

You could well have a point Jon.

Let's hope we don't have to find out.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #102: Oct 27, 2014 06:10:15 pm
      You could well have a point Jon.

Let's hope we don't have to find out.

Fenway made it clear they would not like to sign too many players who they could not make a profit on or at least have a decent sell on fee.Again that makes feel like Lambert was a decision made after a few bottles of Red.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #103: Oct 27, 2014 06:15:10 pm
      Any chance we could have a poll added to this? One simple question needs to be asked:

Do you trust Brendan Rodgers in the transfer market? Yes/No

Not a simple question though is it.

Many will say that although Brendan said he had final say he truly does not.

Is it Brendan?
      Is it the Committee?
      Is it the Owners?
      Does Brendan have and budget and can do whatever he wants or is he restricted by mandates?

Its really not a simple question at all.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #104: Oct 27, 2014 06:29:51 pm
      Just what part of Brendan saying "I have final say on all signings. No one joins the club without my approval." Was unclear to you?  The budget has been proven. Look at my comparison tables. He's had more money to spend than Chelsea's managers have.

Jesus!  what part of Brendan is Only allowed to buy players that fit FSG's criteria,  do you not get?
      Low transfer fee,  low wages,  resale value......

Brendan is Not Permitted to buy players already at there maximum value,  like D'maria for example.
      Put the blame where it belongs! JWH.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #105: Oct 27, 2014 06:35:29 pm
      Just what part of Brendan saying "I have final say on all signings. No one joins the club without my approval." Was unclear to you?  The budget has been proven. Look at my comparison tables. He's had more money to spend than Chelsea's managers have.

Yes within the criteria set out to him

Another that would be comparable of those two lists is the wages that those in the list Command
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #106: Oct 27, 2014 06:40:41 pm
      Yes within the criteria set out to him

Another that would be comparable of those two lists is the wages that those in the list Command

Obviously the question is within the bounds of the criteria set out for him. It's your thread, I don't want to hijack it, I just thought it would give a clearer view.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #107: Oct 27, 2014 06:57:47 pm
      Obviously the question is within the bounds of the criteria set out for him. It's your thread, I don't want to hijack it, I just thought it would give a clearer view.

No hijacking there mate, nor should you bother if you had, it was only there for debate, of which you have added much to mate.

It was an interesting table, certainly puts into perspective money we have spent, I was just meaning though like I said in a different thread earlier that Brendan is for want of a better word a company man and will play a straight bat to show solidarity with the owners policy that he fully buys into.
      I doubt other managers would be so happy to go along with this transfer policy so gamely.

And just a genuine point that the wage comparisons for those players in that list, I'd imagine pro rata their signings get significantly more.. Hence another reason we don't attract them and/or go I for them.
      I put a comparison earlier on a different thread.

Higuain and Di Maria

Both what? 26/27? Would fetch around 100 million combined in transfer fees and take upwards of 20 million in wages a year

Balotelli and Markovic

Both late teen/early 20, cost 36 million and would take 7 million a year in wages between them.

The top two in 3-4 years wouldn't have a sell on, the bottom two will, even if they don't work out you will get a return of sorts, if they do a profit.

So Rodgers green lighting them yes, but over established stars as above? I doubt it, simply that the scouting commity bring them to him, show him videos and stats and he says yes if that's what we have found, or no look again if he really doesn't fancy them.

I doubt he ever gets an offer of a Di Maria type to green light
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #108: Oct 27, 2014 07:15:58 pm
      i think we should have went for german players, and still think that we should try and get them in january or summer ... they fit our philosphy very well, could use hamman to lure them here, and most german players have a soft spot for our league and even for our team

khedira, reus, gundogan, hummels, niklas sule, kevin volland, bender twins, julian brandt, timo werner, max kruse, maximilian arnold, draxler, meyer, goretzka are players that would make a great career at us
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #109: Oct 27, 2014 07:18:34 pm
      i think we should have went for german players, and still think that we should try and get them in january or summer ... they fit our philosphy very well, could use hamman to lure them here, and most german players have a soft spot for our league and even for our team
      Will any German players do? or have you some in mind?  ;D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #110: Oct 27, 2014 07:19:32 pm

khedira, reus, gundogan, hummels, niklas sule, kevin volland, maximilian arnold, draxler, meyer, goretzka are players that would make a great career at us

Bloody hell George a decent post, don't go making a habit, it won't suit you  ;D
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #111: Oct 27, 2014 07:21:33 pm
      updated the list with the bender twins, kruse and julian brandt :))

also another thing that i noticed is the fact that they don't demand huge fees for their players

also kramer is a good player, saw him at the world cup
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #112: Oct 27, 2014 07:38:35 pm
      Can't see FSG considering sacking BR in the summer unless something changes drastically, like players obviously not playing for him, we finish well down the table, no run to talk of in cups etc.
      The guy got us to 2nd place last year from absolutely nowhere. Nearly won it. We had Luis, sure, but still an amazing achievement. Won't be forgotten in a hurry. I think they'll give BR a lot of rope. Even if not in top4, reckon would take major reversal for a managerial change.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #113: Oct 27, 2014 07:45:30 pm
      updated the list with the bender twins, kruse and julian brandt :))

also another thing that i noticed is the fact that they don't demand huge fees for their players

also kramer is a good player, saw him at the world cup

Kramer IS a good player indeed, but his situation is a bit weird. He's in the second of a two-year loan with Gladbach from Leverkusen.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #114: Oct 27, 2014 07:51:59 pm
      I agree that our transfers have been suspect and costly for many years. But if the current system really means we will not be buying any player of world status who are in their prime of 26-28 years old. Because after a 4 year contract they have little or no sell on fee.
      So forget any superstars arriving at Anfield no marquee signings for us

Quick Reply