Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

The End of a Legend

Read 3868 times
      rafadodd
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 9 posts |
      The End of a Legend
      Jul 15, 2006 03:19:34 pm
      Hi all, Im new to this forum, nice to mee you all:

What with the excitement of winning the FA Cup in the last game of the season, then the World Cup, and now all the transfer gossip, an LFC legend has departed the team for good without the fanfare and ceremony it deserves.
      The legend I am talking about is the 2004-2006 Liverpool FC home kit. You might scoff at this statement, but give it some thought.

This is the kit we will all fondly remember in twenty years time, when we look back on our greatest and most emotional victory which was Istanbul. This is the kit that we will be buying on eBay from some dodgy bloke in Thailand. And hopefully, this will be the kit that will be remembered for the dawn of another successful era for Liverpool FC.
      While for months, we have all been waiting and speculating about the impending Adidas release, we had forgotten what we had actually got at that moment - which was one of our best kits ever - if not the best.
      This kit has the three ingredients needed to be great. It is almost all red, it is linked with success, and it evokes great memories. Other kits fail in these departments - if you take the previous two:
      2001-02 :- successful kit, good memories but too much white.
      Then 2002-04 :- almost all red (fantastic looking) but poor success and evokes memories of Diouf, Cheyrou et al.
      This puts this kit up there with the plain red w/ white V of the seventies as our best kits - edging out the mid to late eighties kits due to European success.
      I hope you will all join me in bidding a fond farewell to this kit which has done us so proud.
      And here's why :

Thanks for the memories.
      terry
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      The End of a Legend
      Reply #1: Jul 15, 2006 03:29:06 pm
      have never really looked at it that way before...............but i can really see your point about memories.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      The End of a Legend
      Reply #2: Jul 15, 2006 04:20:11 pm
      What a great post RafaDodd....

Never looked at it that way either.  Maybe I will put my shirt in one of them vacuum bags and keep it now!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,177 posts | 8552 
      End of legend
      Reply #3: Jul 15, 2006 04:36:00 pm
      Good post about the kit especially as I thought it looked liked middlesboro's kit when first released, miserable cynical git that I am, never really been happy with some of reeboks kits, but the good thing about the cup-final kit's were the use of a gold liverbird, very classy!!!
      shedboykopite
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      The End of a Legend
      Reply #4: Jul 15, 2006 06:36:44 pm
      yeah will be keeping that kit forever hopefully this one brings as many memories
      shedboykopite
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      The End of a Legend
      Reply #5: Jul 15, 2006 06:40:04 pm
      anyone who hasnt seen new home kit? go to

http://www.milkthebridge.co.uk/football/0607/liverpool.jpg
      rafadodd
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 9 posts |
      The End of a Legend
      Reply #6: Jul 15, 2006 06:54:33 pm
      Thats a fake that mate.
      shedboykopite
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      The End of a Legend
      Reply #7: Jul 15, 2006 06:56:38 pm
      u reckon,cud b but its on a site thats got arsenal, man u and chelseas right.and its the same design as spains adidas shirt from the world cup
      Jabba
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,375 posts |
      The End of a Legend
      Reply #8: Jul 15, 2006 10:34:08 pm
      The real kit has been posted elsewhere on this forum

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=475

Third kit down - the one with no collars.
      3-0 down! a peace of cake
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      The End of a Legend
      Reply #9: Jul 16, 2006 11:39:39 am
      yep it a fake. the new euro away kit is alright
      KingoftheKop
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts |
      The End of a Legend
      Reply #10: Jul 16, 2006 04:13:56 pm
      i do have to agree although i can't wait to be reunited with the beloved adidas kits of the 80's and 90's they look soooo much better and it also means we're not sponsored by the same manufacturers as Bolton and Aston Villa .  We are A SUPER CLUB!!!!!
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      The End of a Legend
      Reply #11: Jul 16, 2006 06:05:42 pm
      Totally agree, the kit is special and has been good to us, but I think the Reebok kits have been good over all. But now Adidas are making the kit again I fear the worse. I remember all the dodgy kits of the 90's especilly the green away kits. Adidas should remember our colours and keep the kit simple, all red for home and white shirt with black sorts away please  ;D
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      The End of a Legend
      Reply #12: Jul 16, 2006 08:07:10 pm
      I'll keep my shirt forever  :D
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      The End of a Legend
      Reply #13: Jul 18, 2006 12:49:13 am
      Definitley keeping the Istanbul shirt. Might have to buy a new one from JJB or something tho, cos mine has got loadsa pulls in it off my dog, its been worn to death haha, and been to the opposite side of the world to Australia with me  8)  Looking forward to the Adidas kits tho, i don't think dodgy kits ever come out that much from big name brands (then again, check out the Mancs new kit. Oh no haha)
      Bristol Scouse
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 101 posts |
      The End of a Legend
      Reply #14: Jul 20, 2006 11:23:56 pm
      I agree, this is a legendary kit, iconic in the rebirth of our great team under rafa, will be forever synonimous with our 5th european cup but also a class shirt in its own right, kets hope the new adidas one is as good.......and is linked with the same kind of success!

I am new to this forum, so a big bristolian hello from an exiled kopite in farmer country! :o)
      priesty10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,339 posts |
      • Rafa, Gone but not forgotten
      The End of a Legend
      Reply #15: Jul 21, 2006 08:53:49 am
      Totally agree, was never a fan of the Reebok kits and always thought about how the kit looked rather than what was actually achieved wearing it.

I've got the special limited edition Istanbul shirt which is in the process of being framed with the letter from Rafa and a photo print of Stevie kissing the champions league trophy which will forever give me my greatest Liverpool memories and will be a reminder of what the 04-06 Reebok kit achieved.
      giddy76
      • Forum John Toshack

• 263 posts |
      The End of a Legend
      Reply #16: Jul 21, 2006 10:32:31 am
      I keep all my kits... so this one will be no exception. Only, I may have this one framed... not sure what to do with it yet.
      rickywawa
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 146 posts |
      The End of a Legend
      Reply #17: Jul 21, 2006 11:29:10 am
      i agree. never liked it at first but its full red colour reminds me of how shanks told us that it would make us look big and scary. it certainly did 4 those 2 finals...never to be repeated by any other team.

the new home top is the fifth  one down and not te 3rd one without colours stated earlier.

its the best looking out of all of them too. why ia m convinced that this id the new one as the pic is in the same style as the euro away top that was officially published and aslo when it was released on ebay it was quiclky taken off by the ebay authority.

Quick Reply