Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Brad Jones
      1 (1%)
      Dejan Lovren
      3 (3.1%)
      Kolo Toure
      2 (2%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Javier Manquillo
      1 (1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (3.1%)
      Phil Coutinho
      39 (39.8%)
      Lucas Leiva
      3 (3.1%)
      Fabio Borini
      38 (38.8%)
      Rickie Lambert
      0 (0%)
      Lazar Markovic
      1 (1%)
      Adam Lallana
      1 (1%)
      Mario Balotelli
      6 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Voting closed: Nov 01, 2014 10:04:00 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Swansea City: In game and Post Match debate

Read 27633 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Swansea City: In game and Post Match debate
      Reply #529: Oct 29, 2014 07:54:23 pm
      I think the fact that Coutinho jumped out of the way made it seem worse than it was.
      I didn't see players reacting as they normally would to a tackle worthy of a straight red, and that tells a story as well.

Two footed tackle (or two shinned anyway). Should it have been a red... probably not but if you go in like that you always run the risk of it being considered as dangerous or uncontrolled.

Only seen the tackle once so I may be wrong but that was my immediate response at the time....
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #530: Oct 29, 2014 07:58:13 pm
      Two footed tackle (or two shinned anyway). Should it have been a red... probably not but if you go in like that you always run the risk of it being considered as dangerous or uncontrolled.

Only seen the tackle once so I may be wrong but that was my immediate response at the time....

My first response was that he won it fair and square, but I wouldn't argue with anyone who thinks differently.
      If it happened to one of our players, I'd be pretty pissed off about it.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,281 posts | 763 
      Reply #531: Oct 29, 2014 08:42:16 pm
      I stand corrected, thanks for pointing out, quite rightly it was Mario's second goal for the club. He of course scored in the penalty shootout in the last round of the competition.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #532: Oct 29, 2014 08:43:26 pm
      I stand corrected, thanks for pointing out, quite rightly it was Mario's second goal for the club. He of course scored in the penalty shootout in the last round of the competition.

Scored against Ludo in the CL too mate....
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,281 posts | 763 
      Reply #533: Oct 29, 2014 08:53:02 pm
      Thanks for  that harry, nice to see Mario on the score sheet, hope to see a few more to add to his tally.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #534: Oct 29, 2014 09:07:47 pm
      Thanks for  that harry, nice to see Mario on the score sheet, hope to see a few more to add to his tally.

Yeah, a breakout game with a few goals and a big win against Newcastle would do loads for his and the team's confidence!! Here's hoping :)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,002 posts | 3952 
      Reply #535: Oct 29, 2014 09:25:23 pm

There was only one intention for me mate - take the man out.
      The replay only confirmed the assertion.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #536: Oct 30, 2014 12:02:43 am
      Sorry mate, but I completely disagree. Coutinho had a heavy touch that opened the door for Fernandez to make the challenge. It was effectively a 50/50 ball and Fernandez won it. He came in from the front, beat Coutinho to the ball, and didn't raise his boot or expose his studs. That was a clean and honest tackle in my book, and I feel for Swansea to have a player dismissed in such a manner. I know I'd lose my sh*t if the roles were reversed and we'd had a player sent off then went on to lose the game....

Fair enough, I'd lose my sh*t too if it happened the other way around but I would go well I can see how that was dangerous. It wasn't a soft red, he was steam rolled he may have got injured because of the force.
      Overall we played much better than them throughout the game and I'm not worried that they were robbed or anything.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #537: Oct 30, 2014 12:08:49 am

Never a red mate. It wasn't even two footed. And due to Coutinho's heavy touch it rightly became a 50-50 ball and the challenge was legitimate.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,002 posts | 3952 
      Reply #538: Oct 30, 2014 06:05:19 am
      Never a red mate. It wasn't even two footed. And due to Coutinho's heavy touch it rightly became a 50-50 ball and the challenge was legitimate.

There was the potential there for serious injury, if that had indeed been the case would you or the official still feel the red card not appropriate?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #539: Oct 30, 2014 06:18:36 am

Pretty sure it was two footed mate :- http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/liverpool/202471/football-vine-swanseas-federico-fernandez-sees-red-for-challenge-hardly-worthy-of-a-foul-vs-liverpool.html

https://gfycat.com/CircularFlakyClingfish

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #540: Oct 30, 2014 07:14:08 am
      There was the potential there for serious injury, if that had indeed been the case would you or the official still feel the red card not appropriate?

You could say the same about any challenge re the potential for serious injury.

His technique was odd in that he failed to bend his left knee back 90 degrees and slide with just the one outstretched right leg but even then his left peg was low and made no contact with the Coutinho and his right was atypical of a sliding challenge.

It was an incident the ref only got to see once and he had to make a call from that. Fortunately for us he sent the player off but I still think it was wrong and would have been livid had that been a Pool player. 
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #541: Oct 30, 2014 08:14:33 am
      Never a red card in a million years.

I feel we would have gone on to win anyway. We had the momentum behind us so it did not affect the games outcome imo !
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,002 posts | 3952 
      Reply #542: Oct 30, 2014 08:37:52 am
      You could say the same about any challenge re the potential for serious injury.

His technique was odd in that he failed to bend his left knee back 90 degrees and slide with just the one outstretched right leg but even then his left peg was low and made no contact with the Coutinho and his right was atypical of a sliding challenge.

It was an incident the ref only got to see once and he had to make a call from that. Fortunately for us he sent the player off but I still think it was wrong and would have been livid had that been a Pool player. 

With the guidelines the official is required to judge the challenge by it could only result in a red - a two footed sliding challenge with a flash of the studs.
      If he was not dismissed a precedent could be set which surely would be a backward step.
      AJ-LFC
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts |
      Reply #543: Oct 30, 2014 09:09:50 am
      Coutinho in my opinion was one of the few players that showed any urgency in trying to play an attacking game and get into the box. The rest of the game was sideways passing until he received the ball, he provided most of the balls for Borini. So my vote went to Coutinho. Enjoyed the game, also thought once we went 0-1 we woke up! Bringing on Lallana and Mario lifted the crowd.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #544: Oct 30, 2014 09:39:16 am
      Your verdict on Manquillo, I personally don't understand, he was dominating the right flank against that tricky Spanish player they had on their left, then later on they added numbers down his side to try and overwhelm that area.
      Him and Moreno have been the best new signings so far for me. put the most effort in and haven't give up even when the team have been playing without heart.

I don't think any of our new signings have hit the ground running but Moreno has probably showed the most promise.

With Manquillo, I just don't see how he is an upgrade on Martin Kelly.

When he signed, I knew very little about him but read on here and elsewhere that he had electric pace and was brilliant going forward.

He doesn't have any unusual pace at all and he is sh*t at going forward and in the modern game you need your full backs to contribute to your attack.

I find he often gets himself in attacking positions then passes the ball backwards as soon as he receives it.

Besides that, I don't think he is particularly good at defending either.

We'll see how he does this season but he is certainly no better than Flanno or even Johnson.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #545: Oct 30, 2014 09:41:14 am
      Watched the game at last. 

Jones - Not a huge amount to deal with. Distribution is poor though.
      Manquillo - Provided an outlet down the right all night, some good runs not found.
      Johnson - Hit and miss, be undeserved if he takes Manquillo's spot against Newcastle.
      Lovren  - Not a lot to deal with, getting some undue stick for not getting across to Toure's man for the goal.
      Toure - Solid apart from the above and a comedy moment when he dumped himself on his arse.  Only seems to have 3 ranges of pass though, short, an over hit medium pass that goes long and a welly it.
      Henderson - Poor, escaping some deserved criticism because Markovic was worse.
      Lucas - had a good game and played some cracking passes. 
      Markovic - Has a reputation as a player that takes a while to bed in and he is living up to that reputation.
      Coutinho - Our best player on the night, still needs to find his shooting boots.
      Lambert - His first touch/control was brilliant at times, what he did after that, not so much.
      Borini - Fabulous cross for the goal and worked a couple of chances for himself well, struggling to see how he garnered so many votes for MotM though.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,002 posts | 3952 
      Reply #546: Oct 30, 2014 09:54:12 am

Manquillo - Provided an outlet down the right all night, some good runs not found.
      Johnson - Hit and miss, be undeserved if he takes Manquillo's spot against Newcastle.
      Lovren  - Not a lot to deal with, getting some undue stick for not getting across to Toure's man for the goal.
      Toure - Solid apart from the above and a comedy moment when he dumped himself on his arse.  Only seems to have 3 ranges of pass though, short, an over hit medium pass that goes long and a welly it.
      Markovic - Has a reputation as a player that takes a while to bed in and he is living up to that reputation.
      Coutinho - Our best player on the night, still needs to find his shooting boots.
      Lambert - His first touch/control was brilliant at times, what he did after that, not so much.
      Borini - Fabulous cross for the goal and worked a couple of chances for himself well, struggling to see how he garnered so many votes for MotM though.

Gave Coutinho MOTM meself, was glad to see Borini shine but overall Coutinho stood out for me, he does need some fine tuning with his onion bag locating it's got to be said.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #547: Oct 30, 2014 10:52:42 am

Sorry to just pick out one part of your post mate, but it reminded me of something I neglected to mention, which was that Toure, instead of holding the line with the other defenders had stepped out (or was out of position already) meaning Lovren then had to step across into the hole he left.
      Like you, I don't think Lovren had much option there, given it was Toure who was out of position, so I was a bit puzzled by the criticism of him.

Coutinho was also my motm.
      Borini put a good shift in, created a couple of chances for himself, gave their defenders a hard time and put in a lovely cross for the goal, but I think Coutinho was more consistent overall and a much more consistent threat.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #548: Oct 30, 2014 09:30:57 pm
      Fernandez had his red card overturned.

It's the right decision for me, never a red in the first place, although I'll happily take the benefit we got from it ;)
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #549: Oct 30, 2014 10:52:20 pm
      Fernandez had his red card overturned.

It's the right decision for me, never a red in the first place, although I'll happily take the benefit we got from it ;)

Agree mate. Poor decision and I feel for Swansea, but no complaints about moving into the quarterfinals.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #550: Oct 30, 2014 11:45:47 pm
      Not had chance to see the game yet so can't really comment. Another failure to keep a clean sheet doesn't surprise me though. How did Borini play? Seems like the few times he has played this season he has done well....be he will be left out until the next round though. Heard Markovic had another mare, can anybody shed some light on this?
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #551: Oct 30, 2014 11:56:11 pm
      Not had chance to see the game yet so can't really comment. Another failure to keep a clean sheet doesn't surprise me though. How did Borini play? Seems like the few times he has played this season he has done well....be he will be left out until the next round though. Heard Markovic had another mare, can anybody shed some light on this?

Borini was lively and his energetic runs through the channels and pressing were impressive. I hope he gets a few more chances to prove himself, but his window is closing with Studge's return imminent.

Lazar was poor and ineffectual, but he needs to be given time to adapt. I think Brendan needs to leave him on the bench for a few weeks and let him continue to settle into the team. It can't be easy for a young kid to come to a new team/league and struggle. I'm sure his confidence is shot at the moment....

Quick Reply