Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

The Raheem Sterling Problem

Read 5319 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Re: The Raheem Sterling Problem
      Reply #23: Nov 09, 2014 06:21:30 pm
      maybe the next time he puts his nose in the way of someones forearm he might not get a yellow card.
      It about summed up the Ref yesterday.
      One thing that is missing in the team is this.
      when Raheem was assaulted on the pitch the rest of the team to a man should have been in there like a shot but we are a soft touch we need a Governor and an enforcer a modern day Souness we are a bit weak in that dept.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #24: Nov 09, 2014 07:26:17 pm
      maybe the next time he puts his nose in the way of someones forearm he might not get a yellow card.
      It about summed up the Ref yesterday.
      One thing that is missing in the team is this.
      when Raheem was assaulted on the pitch the rest of the team to a man should have been in there like a shot but we are a soft touch we need a Governor and an enforcer a modern day Souness we are a bit weak in that dept.

Agree mate, it's where loyalty also kicks in.

Agger would have been there in a shot, people like Bellamy also, while not big he was a bit of a loon that people wouldn't trust he might just flip on them. Luis also had an element of nastiness about him that could get revenge in a sly and in my book smart way. Stevie used to take matters into his own hands but at his age he can't be expected to carry that load too.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #25: Nov 09, 2014 09:27:49 pm
      I personally am starting to think that Sterlings dip in form isn't due to pressure, it think he has shown he can cope with that, I think its down to the fact that last year he was a defense's third priority behind Luis and Danny. With them on the field it opened up things for Raheem and he was able to take advantage of it. Now Raheem garners all the attention and he also doesn't have the luxury of Danny and Luis carving out chances for him, so he's going to have to up his game and work even harder and play even smarter to meet the levels he met in the past.

I think you are exactly right. Almost every goal he scored last season was a fifa style tap in layed on by Luis.

Without him it has kind of shown him up a bit.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #26: Nov 09, 2014 09:48:39 pm
      I think you are exactly right. Almost every goal he scored last season was a fifa style tap in layed on by Luis.

Without him it has kind of shown him up a bit.

Think your being unfair to Raheem here mate, yes of course he thrived with Luis and with Studge but he also did extremely well at times without those influences,  he's only a young lad remember,

As usual,  a young player is put on a pedestal and highly praised when things go well, but as soon as they hit a lean spell the knives come out,

Show me a player from.last season who is on the ball this season, ?  Excuse the pun,

Lack of confidence is key, I believe once we have sturridge back we will.see a different Liverpool and a different Raheem Sterling, perhaps not to the level of last season but certainly climbing the table!

YNWA

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #27: Nov 09, 2014 10:02:20 pm
      Looking forward to the Sterling-Sturridge link being reunited! That is my only hope we can salvage something from this season!
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #28: Nov 10, 2014 10:02:05 am
      Has Sterlings poor form coincided with supposed interest from Real Madrid? Is the new bumper contract with added 60m clause a sign that he's on the way out, the same way Luis Suarez had these added to his contract and then did the off?

I'm thinking yes, maybe the end of the season, maybe next season, but it looks like it's coming.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #29: Nov 10, 2014 10:29:35 am
      What is this buy out clause bullshit?
      Why can't we sign players without that? Are we just a stepping stone for these players?

60m is a dangerous figure. Considering he is a boyhood United fan, it would be a tragedy if they activated the clause and him moving there.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #30: Nov 10, 2014 10:30:59 am
      The only Sterling "Problem" is that, after spending so heavily in the summer, our entire season seems to hang on him and Sturridge.

fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #31: Nov 10, 2014 10:39:26 am
      Why can't we sign players without that? Are we just a stepping stone for these players?

60m is a dangerous figure. Considering he is a boyhood United fan, it would be a tragedy if they activated the clause and him moving there.

So he's  a cockney United fan? Wtf.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #32: Nov 10, 2014 10:49:13 am

Haha that would be fun!!
      Two chances - a dogs and no chance.
      The fuckwits buy another forward while their defence is in meltdown, Evra is rumoured to be on his way back to beef up their cheating potential, his move to Juve being a disaster.
      F**k the has beens if anything RM are a long time admirer and would be prepared to chance their arm if the opportunity presented itself.
      « Last Edit: Nov 10, 2014 11:03:33 am by stuey »
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #33: Nov 10, 2014 11:01:57 am
      So he's  a cockney United fan? Wtf.
      In an Interview with The Mirror yesterday, the Liverpool starlet admitted that he supported Manchester United when he first moved to England. When asked about it, the 18-year old winger said:

"I need to keep that [supporting Manchester United] quiet!"

I think we shouldn't be adding a release clause which is closer to the going rate of world class players now. It would only increase in the coming years with the increase in CL money.

I hope we either avoid a release clause or add something ridicuous like the Spanish clubs.

However  we would be helpless if he only signs the extension with release clause in it like Suarez did.

fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #34: Nov 10, 2014 11:14:20 am
      In an Interview with The Mirror yesterday, the Liverpool starlet admitted that he supported Manchester United when he first moved to England. When asked about it, the 18-year old winger said:

"I need to keep that [supporting Manchester United] quiet!"

I think we shouldn't be adding a release clause which is closer to the going rate of world class players now. It would only increase in the coming years with the increase in CL money.

I hope we either avoid a release clause or add something ridicuous like the Spanish clubs.

However  we would be helpless if he only signs the extension with release clause in it like Suarez did.

He's being honest so I've got no problem there, I think I've actually heard him say that about Man utd, my reaction was oh hm ok whatever.
      Sterling will be sold to probably Chelsea not Real Madrid for around 60 million, not because he supports Man u, just because of the owners we've got. (my instincts on this)

Quick Reply