Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Steven Gerrard Interview: I won't retire next summer - may play elsewhere...

Read 7142 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Steven Gerrard Interview: I won't retire next summer - may play elsewhere...
      Oct 31, 2014 08:29:37 am
      really interesting interview with Stevie here, definitely worth a read.  Looks like we haven't offered him a contract yet and he'd consider going somewhere else after the end of the season.  Emphasis mine on some of the more interesting parts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/players/steven-gerrard/11199303/Steven-Gerrard-interview-Mario-Balotelli-can-still-turn-it-around-at-Liverpool-following-stuttering-start.html

Steven Gerrard interview: Mario Balotelli can still turn it around at Liverpool following stuttering start
      Ten years ago, Steven Gerrard gave one of his most candid interviews admitting he may have no choice but to leave Liverpool.

The following May he lifted the European Cup, still wondering if his club truly wanted to keep him and whether it was right for him to stay ā€“ bewildered by the lack of a contract offer.

They love their anniversaries at Anfield, but the contemporary re-enactment of this particular episode in Gerrardā€™s career is unexpected.

Amid the background of Istanbul reunion plans at the end of this season, Gerrard again finds himself contemplating if this will be his last in a Liverpool shirt.

ā€œI wonā€™t be retiring this summer,ā€ he says. ā€œI will play beyond this season. We will have to wait and see if thatā€™s at Liverpool or somewhere else. Thatā€™s Liverpoolā€™s decision.ā€

If this is to be Gerrardā€™s last season at Liverpool it has a familiar ā€˜transitionalā€™ vibe to it. When Liverpool finished second in 2002 and 2009, key players departed and the appeals for time began. Were the lesson learnt in 2014?

ā€œWhen Luis SuĆ”rez left I knew it would be like that,ā€ says Gerrard. ā€œWhen you come close [to the title] it is important you keep your main players. Itā€™s not just about those coming in, itā€™s about what got you there.

ā€œYou need to keep that together and add to it. When you are taking big chunks of it away and adding five or six into it, itā€™s not going to happen overnight.

ā€œI would love a Fabregas or Costa here, but I have to understand how the owners want to do it and accept I am a Liverpool player, not a Chelsea or Manchester City player. They [Fenway Sports Group] have gone on record saying they want to bring exciting young talent into the club. You canā€™t just expect that to click overnight.

ā€œIā€™m not looking for excuses but there are collective reasons for our stuttering start. We lost a key player; weā€™ve had a key player injured; weā€™ve had a huge setback through just falling short last season; other Premier League sides have improved. Chelsea have gone and got their missing pieces of the jigsaw, City get stronger every year because of the funds. Thatā€™s why weā€™re not sitting top of league with everything rosy.

ā€œWe are not in a position like City or Chelsea where the manager notices they are a little bit short and just goes bang, bang, two new signings.

"Maybe itā€™s slightly different this year where we had more available because of the money from Luis, but as you see at Tottenham if you make five signings there are a lot of changes.

ā€œIf Luis was here we probably would have won some of the games where we have slipped up. Also, if we had Daniel Sturridge fit. If you lose a player in Luisā€™s form and a player of Danielā€™s potential, it is going to be up and down until you either get Sturridge back or Luisā€™s replacement starts firing some goals in.ā€

Ah, that replacement. The Mario Balotelli question arrives. Gerrard is reminded of his friend Jamie Carragherā€™s view that Balotelli will not last more than a season on Merseyside.

ā€œItā€™s a bit early for shouts like that. He could score 10 in 10 now. What then? You still sell him in January?ā€ Gerrard said. ā€œI understand Jamieā€™s opinion. He is on TV and has to give opinions. Marioā€™s scored two in 12 games and when you play for Liverpool you are going to get judged harshly compared to Luis and Daniel, but Mario has the ability to turn it around. Then it will be interesting to see everyoneā€™s opinion. People wonā€™t be saying he is a panic buy then.

ā€œHe needs time to score the goals and prove to be people he is worthy of staying here. I am not going judge him after 10 games. I have to help and support him. To come in after SuĆ”rez is tough. A big ask.

ā€œTo be a main striker at Liverpool you have to expect the pressure and the responsibility and embrace it. Our fans expect us to win every game. To be top drawer you have to be quick and aggressive but above everything else you have to score regularly. Look at the ones I have played with ā€“ Fowler, Owen, SuĆ”rez, and Torres ā€“ consistent with goals. Thatā€™s what made them superstars.

ā€œBeing a Noā€‰9 weighs heavy, but so does the Noā€‰8. So do most of the numbers here. We have a huge following. The pressure is on us to perform every single game, weā€™re on TV every three days. You canā€™t hide.

ā€œYou have to accept and embrace it and enjoy the pressure and the fact you are being judged. Thatā€™s what I have learnt to do since I was 19. Perform consistently or people will be critical. With social media and the way the general media has gone there is so much criticism and opinion out there that if the Noā€‰9 weighed heavy 10 years ago it weighs even heavier now.

ā€œI donā€™t think you have sympathy for Mario. Heā€™s a big lad. Heā€™s played for big clubs and has had the responsibility before. Heā€™s not feeling sorry for himself. He is working hard, doing extra shooting sessions and doing everything he can to make it work. Iā€™ve been impressed the way he goes about his work. You can understand where all the attention comes from and he enjoys it.

ā€œIt seems he likes the attention, likes being the main man up front. He loves the social media and loves talking to supporters. If he wants that at Liverpool you have to score goals. He will know that. And if he didnā€™t know it coming in then he will know it now.ā€

If Balotelli has much to prove, the frustration for Gerrard is Sturridge has been unable to build on his form.

ā€œBrendan built his team around Luis and Sturridge,ā€ Gerrard said. ā€œHeā€™d never played the diamond before, so it was a big compliment to Luis and Daniel he changed the whole team set-up to get the best from them.

ā€œAbility wise, Daniel is possibly the Noā€‰1 English striker Iā€™ve played with. When you talk about speed, sharpness and skill and different types of goals he could go as far as he wants to. Who in this country is better?

ā€œWayne Rooney is different, between a nine and 10 for me, but Wayne is 30, Daniel is 25. Some of the things he does in training blow me away. I knew he was good but I saw what he could do last year. He needs to hit high numbers season after season. His goal-to-game record is scary. Last year he was in Luisā€™s shadow. Now itā€™s for Daniel to be Liverpoolā€™s iconic Noā€‰9 ā€“ the main striker ā€“ for many years.

ā€œBrendan said he needs to repeat games. That is any player, not just Daniel. I have experienced the frustration of picking up niggles and missing big games. It is not just frustrating for him, but all of us ā€“ players, fans and staff ā€“ because we need him back as soon as possible.ā€

Wherever Gerrard plays he is reminded of last seasonā€™s near miss by opposition fans. The slip against Chelsea was celebrated beyond Stamford Bridge.

ā€œIā€™ve had stick since day one and the reason is Iā€™ve been a decent footballer and they see me as a threat to their team,ā€ he says. ā€œItā€™s gamesmanship. I would have to be very naive or insecure to feel sorry for myself, saying itā€™s not fair because I gave service to England and donā€™t deserve it. Liverpool fans give some opposition players absolute hell when they come to Anfield, but they only go for the best players out there, so I presume itā€™s the same when Iā€™m getting pelted.

ā€œDo I hear it? Of course I hear it. Does it affect me? No, it drives me on to perform better.ā€

Mourinho revelled in stopping the Liverpool title charge, suggesting his players were meant to be ā€˜clownsā€™ on that fateful day at Anfield.

ā€œIā€™m a big fan of his. I understand and respect he loves winning and will do anything to get the win,ā€ Gerrard said. ā€œPeople say he tactically outclassed us and outwitted us ā€“ maybe he did in parts of the game ā€“ but they came to destroy the game and break it up, to stop us blowing them away. His tactic was to slow us down and spoil ā€“ stop us getting into a rhythm. Heā€™d seen what we could do, and put men behind the ball, his biggest, most powerful team to disrupt us. It worked for them so credit where it is due. It hit me hard and I know it hit the supporters hard.ā€

Gerrard knows there may never be another chance to complete the medal collection with the trophy he craves. Not at Liverpool, anyway. If they donā€™t want him and act before he becomes a free agent in the next two months, it will be noted by plenty of others with title aspirations.
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2014 02:09:24 pm by JD »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Steven Gerrard Interview: I won't retire next summer - may play elsewhere...
      Reply #1: Oct 31, 2014 08:43:02 am
      Simple solution for me would be to offer Gerrard a 3 year deal with the last two years linked to being a coach as well.... that and buying Fabregas :)
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Re: Steven Gerrard Interview: I won't retire next summer - may play elsewhere...
      Reply #2: Oct 31, 2014 08:46:19 am
      Simple solution for me would be to offer Gerrard a 3 year deal with the last two years linked to being a coach as well.... that and buying Fabregas :)

How many people in here completely slated the mere thought of going after Fabregas, I couldn't quite believe it meself. Mind you we all slated the idea of bringing in Et'o yet 4 goals in 7 games for the bitters and Martinez banging on about what a great role model i'm wishing we had got him in after all.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,428 posts | 3416 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3: Oct 31, 2014 09:16:21 am
      How many people in here completely slated the mere thought of going after Fabregas, I couldn't quite believe it meself. Mind you we all slated the idea of bringing in Et'o yet 4 goals in 7 games for the bitters and Martinez banging on about what a great role model i'm wishing we had got him in after all.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #4: Oct 31, 2014 10:02:33 am
      It would make no sense for Brendan to play Stevie in virtually every game this season and then not want him next season.

Although I do feel sometimes Brendan isn't fully prepared as to what to so when Gerrard isn't around anymore.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #5: Oct 31, 2014 10:23:26 am
      It would make no sense for Brendan to play Stevie in virtually every game this season and then not want him next season.

Although I do feel sometimes Brendan isn't fully prepared as to what to so when Gerrard isn't around anymore.

I agree mate. I think it is something we should be planning for already.

I think the present squad has probably the least number of genuine top quality players I can remember. While I think the team is the star, top class players are the game changers, the ones that step up when needed.     

Over the last few years we have lost a number of genuine top class players through age, ambition or frustration, I am not sure any of them have been adequately replaced in the present squad. Hopefully we don't make the same mistake with Gerrard, we need someone who can not only measure up to what Gerrard is NOW, BUT also to what Gerrard once was.... a truly World Class player. 
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #6: Oct 31, 2014 10:35:20 am

How do you replace Gerrard..? Honestly I don't think you can - not only for the on the field but the off the field presence he has.

If he doesn't get another 3 years and go on to be on the bench in a managerial capacity I would be amazed. Surley that has to be the logical step - but if his contract ends in May then I would expect some of these MLS teams to be looking now at getting him in... We could lose him very easily and that would be a massive issue for next season.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #7: Oct 31, 2014 10:57:04 am
      As long as he's a footballer he should be playing at Liverpool.

Whether he is 34, 44 or 104.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #8: Oct 31, 2014 11:10:13 am
      Would have loved to have Fabregas here as well. Personally felt he would have been the ideal replacement for Stevie in midfield especially Stevie isn't the same player he used to be.
      Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #9: Oct 31, 2014 11:26:36 am
      I think its obvious stevie is gutted chelsea got costa and fabregas.

I was gutted when carra left the club. I never saw him going to sky. I always saw him going on the backroom team ... a beacon of knowledge and experience in the dressing room and a vocal one at that. In time i saw him going to assistant manager and beyond.

Id hate it if all Gerrards experience, knowledge and respect walked out of this club in the summer and took it all somewhere else. There should always be a place at this club for who i believe is our greatest ever player.

Hopefully one day there will be a place for carra. I wish he was working with our defence on a daily basis.

Hyypia was another who was allowed to leave. At the time i think he wanted a player/coach contract though i could be wrong.

Hope Stevie stays on !!
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #10: Oct 31, 2014 11:39:13 am

I still wouldnt want Et'o. He can score a few but we are building a team and hes a p*x.

Could be the easy out for him to let him leave alright. Dont see it happening. This is his last season as a starting player, after this he will still have a great impact coming off the bench, whether that be for us or someone else.

If he does leave, I hope its not for a top 4 team. Couldnt handle seeing it. If he went to Chelsea and they won the league.... Its not right.
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2014 12:22:21 pm by Pagekarl »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #11: Oct 31, 2014 01:08:41 pm
      what odds would you get on Stevie playing in the MLS next season?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #12: Oct 31, 2014 01:25:12 pm
      what odds would you get on Stevie playing in the MLS next season?

That would be very odd.
      To be cynical time is on the club's side with regard to SG and there isn't any panic, given the pendant the club seem to have for bringing players past their first flash of brilliance into the fold ie Lambert amongst others, our man is already in situ and we are comfortable with his performance levels.
      See no reason he will not be offered a contract compatible with his status and potential in a coaching role.   
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,374 posts | 2821 
      Reply #13: Oct 31, 2014 01:26:45 pm
      Would be absolutely mental if we let him leave next summer.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #14: Oct 31, 2014 01:59:04 pm
      That would be very odd.
      To be cynical time is on the club's side with regard to SG and there isn't any panic, given the pendant the club seem to have for bringing players past their first flash of brilliance into the fold ie Lambert amongst others, our man is already in situ and we are comfortable with his performance levels.
      See no reason he will not be offered a contract compatible with his status and potential in a coaching role.   

I couldn't see him moving abroad given the ages of his daughters mate. Am sure the club will be in with a contract offer at the turn of the year, I would be surprised if they didn't. I think he will play 2 more seasons (after this one) at LFC myself.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Steven Gerrard: As frustrated as every reds.
      Reply #15: Oct 31, 2014 02:02:15 pm
      I think this requires a thread for itself.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/is-steven-gerrard-about-to-leave-liverpool-30706838.html

ā€œI wonā€™t be retiring this summer,ā€ he says.

ā€œI will play beyond this season. We will have to wait and see if thatā€™s at Liverpool or somewhere else. Thatā€™s Liverpoolā€™s decision.ā€

If this is to be Gerrardā€™s last season at Liverpool it has a familiar ā€˜transitionalā€™ vibe to it. When Liverpool finished second in 2002 and 2009, key players departed and the appeals for time began. Were the lessons learnt in 2014?

ā€œWhen Luis SuĆ”rez left I knew it would be like that,ā€ says Gerrard. ā€œWhen you come close [to the title] it is important you keep your main players. Itā€™s not just about those coming in, itā€™s about what got you there.

ā€œYou need to keep that together and add to it. When you are taking big chunks of it away and adding five or six into it, itā€™s not going to happen overnight.

ā€œI would love a Fabregas or Costa here, but I have to understand how the owners want to do it and accept I am a Liverpool player, not a Chelsea or Manchester City player. They [Fenway Sports Group] have gone on record saying they want to bring exciting young talent into the club. You canā€™t just expect that to click overnight.

ā€œIā€™m not looking for excuses but there are collective reasons for our stuttering start. We lost a key player; weā€™ve had a key player injured; weā€™ve had a huge setback through just falling short last season; other Premier League sides have improved. Chelsea have gone and got their missing pieces of the jigsaw, City get stronger every year because of the funds. Thatā€™s why weā€™re not sitting top of the league with everything rosy.

ā€œWe are not in a position like City or Chelsea where the manager notices they are a little bit short and just goes bang, bang, two new signings.

ā€œMaybe itā€™s slightly different this year where we had more available because of the money from Luis, but as you see at Tottenham, if you make five signings there are a lot of changes.

ā€œIf Luis was here we probably would have won some of the games where we have slipped up. Also, if we had Daniel Sturridge fit. If you lose a player in Luisā€™s form and a player of Danielā€™s potential, it is going to be up and down until you either get Sturridge back or Luisā€™s replacement starts firing some goals in.ā€

Ah, that replacement. The Mario Balotelli question arrives. Gerrard is reminded of his friend Jamie Carragherā€™s view that Balotelli will not last more than a season on Merseyside.

ā€œItā€™s a bit early for shouts like that. He could score 10 in 10 now. What then? You still sell him in January?ā€ Gerrard said. ā€œI understand Jamieā€™s opinion. He is on TV and has to give opinions. Marioā€™s scored two in 12 games and when you play for Liverpool you are going to get judged harshly compared to Luis and Daniel, but Mario has the ability to turn it around. Then it will be interesting to see everyoneā€™s opinion. People wonā€™t be saying he is a panic buy then.

ā€œHe needs time to score the goals and prove to people he is worthy of staying here. I am not going judge him after 10 games. I have to help and support him. To come in after SuĆ”rez is tough. A big ask.

ā€œTo be a main striker at Liverpool you have to expect the pressure and the responsibility and embrace it. Our fans expect us to win every game. To be top drawer you have to be quick and aggressive but above everything else you have to score regularly. Look at the ones I have played with ā€“ Fowler, Owen, SuĆ”rez, and Torres ā€“ consistent with goals. Thatā€™s what made them superstars.

ā€œBeing a No9 weighs heavy, but so does the No8. So do most of the numbers here. We have a huge following. The pressure is on us to perform every single game, weā€™re on TV every three days. You canā€™t hide. You have to accept and embrace it and enjoy the pressure and the fact you are being judged.

Thatā€™s what I have learnt to do since I was 19. Perform consistently or people will be critical. With social media and the way the general media has gone there is so much criticism and opinion out there that if the No9 weighed heavy 10 years ago it weighs even heavier now.

ā€œI donā€™t think you have sympathy for Mario. Heā€™s a big lad. Heā€™s played for big clubs and has had the responsibility before. Heā€™s not feeling sorry for himself. He is working hard, doing extra shooting sessions and doing everything he can to make it work. Iā€™ve been impressed the way he goes about his work. You can understand where all the attention comes from and he enjoys it.

ā€œIt seems he likes the attention, likes being the main man up front. He loves the social media and loves talking to supporters. If he wants that at Liverpool you have to score goals. He will know that. And if he didnā€™t know it coming in then he will know it now.ā€

If Balotelli has much to prove, the frustration for Gerrard is that Sturridge has been unable to build on his form.

ā€œBrendan built his team around Luis and Sturridge,ā€ Gerrard said. ā€œHeā€™d never played the diamond before, so it was a big compliment to Luis and Daniel he changed the whole team set-up to get the best from them.

ā€œAbility-wise, Daniel is possibly the No1 English striker Iā€™ve played with. When you talk about speed, sharpness and skill and different types of goals he could go as far as he wants to. Who in this country is better?

ā€œWayne Rooney is different, between a nine and 10 for me, but Wayne is 30, Daniel is 25. Some of the things he does in training blow me away. I knew he was good but I saw what he could do last year. He needs to hit high numbers season after season. His goal-to-game record is scary. Last year he was in Luisā€™s shadow. Now itā€™s for Daniel to be Liverpoolā€™s iconic No9 ā€“ the main striker ā€“ for many years.

ā€œBrendan said he needs to repeat games. That is any player, not just Daniel. I have experienced the frustration of picking up niggles and missing big games. It is not just frustrating for him, but all of us ā€“ players, fans and staff ā€“ because we need him back as soon as possible.ā€

Wherever Gerrard plays he is reminded of last seasonā€™s near miss by opposition fans. The slip against Chelsea was celebrated beyond Stamford Bridge.

ā€œIā€™ve had stick since day one and the reason is Iā€™ve been a decent footballer and they see me as a threat to their team,ā€ he says.

ā€œItā€™s gamesmanship. I would have to be very naive or insecure to feel sorry for myself, saying itā€™s not fair because I gave service to England and donā€™t deserve it. Liverpool fans give some opposition players absolute hell when they come to Anfield, but they only go for the best players out there, so I presume itā€™s the same when Iā€™m getting pelted."

ā€œDo I hear it? Of course I hear it. Does it affect me? No, it drives me on to perform better.ā€

Jose Mourinho revelled in stopping the Liverpool title charge, suggesting his players were meant to be ā€œclownsā€ on that fateful day at Anfield.

ā€œIā€™m a big fan of his. I understand and respect he loves winning and will do anything to get the win,ā€ Gerrard said. ā€œPeople say he tactically outclassed us and outwitted us ā€“ maybe he did in parts of the game ā€“ but they came to destroy the game and break it up, to stop us blowing them away.

His tactic was to slow us down and spoil ā€“ stop us getting into a rhythm. Heā€™d seen what we could do, and put men behind the ball, his biggest, most powerful team to disrupt us. It worked for them so credit where it is due. It hit me hard and I know it hit the supporters hard.ā€

Gerrard knows there may never be another chance to complete the medal collection with the trophy he craves. Not at Liverpool, anyway. If they do not want him and do not act before he becomes a free agent in the next two months, it will be noted by plenty of others with title aspirations.

Great interview. It would be terrible if FSG lets SG to become a free agent. More over he is still a great player if managed well.
      The general tone sounded like the players and probable the manager are not happy with the owner's policy of buying youngsters.

And if Gerrard become a free agent and joins some where like City or Chelsea and wins the title with them, would you guys be happy for him?

PS: Now that Gerrard voiced against FSG, would RAWK ban Gerrard?  ;D
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2014 02:07:14 pm by JD »
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Re: Steven Gerrard: As frustrated as every reds.
      Reply #16: Oct 31, 2014 02:15:21 pm
      How could it even get to this point? He is a one man club. F**k it. HE IS LIVERPOOL! He needs to retire at Liverpool. Needs to be shown the respect by the club that he deserves. He could have left when he was one of the best players in the world. Now FSG need to end this ridiculous speculation once and for all.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #17: Oct 31, 2014 02:16:26 pm
      Interesting interview.  Don't think we've learned anything we didn't know. 

Personally I think he's already spotted a big payday in the MLS or abroad for a couple of years so I think whether or not we offer him a new contract is by the by.

Couldn't see him moving to another Premier League club. 

My concern is what midfielder we are going to bring in to replace him.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #18: Oct 31, 2014 02:20:17 pm

Personally I think he's already spotted a big payday in the MLS or abroad for a couple of years so I think whether or not we offer him a new contract is by the by.

I have a feeling that BR see's Can as taking over the role rather than replacing him.
      Replacing Gerrard is next to impossible.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #19: Oct 31, 2014 02:31:32 pm

Don't personally see why things have to be associated with a bigger payday elsewhere. FFS, he's already a multi-millionaire. I'm positive he would take a pay cut just to remain at Liverpool, although it would be insulting to offer him less after everything he's done. Yeah, he's no longer at the top of his game. That's what happens. But as already stated, I'm sure in his own mind he wanted to be at Liverpool post playing.

« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2014 05:52:42 pm by MarkMitt »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,446 posts | 4584 
      Reply #20: Oct 31, 2014 02:34:43 pm

Couldn't see him moving to another Premier League club

Could do a fat  Frank ;) move to MLS & come back on loan.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #21: Oct 31, 2014 02:50:15 pm
      Think the club would be bonkers to let him leave on a free.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #22: Oct 31, 2014 02:55:48 pm
      Could do a fat  Frank ;) move to MLS & come back on loan.

Sorting my lunch in the local corner shop this morning, the owner, who knows I'm a Liverpool fan said he heard some rumours that he'll take part in the Indian Premier League next year, didn't believe him though.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #23: Oct 31, 2014 03:03:53 pm

I don't think so mate, he says ā€œI will play beyond this season. We will have to wait and see if thatā€™s at Liverpool or somewhere else. Thatā€™s Liverpoolā€™s decision.ā€

I think Liverpool (FSG) may decide not to offer him a new contract as maybe they think he is no longer worth the Ā£100k+ wages but if he gets a decent offer I think he will stay.

Like you say I think the main concern is who do we bring in to replace him.... some young prospect, or do we bite the bullet and bring in an established top class midfield player and leader.

Obviously we can't bring in someone exactly like Gerrard as he was so versatile we would need 5 or 6 players to really replace him, but maybe we can bring in someone who is as good (or almost) in one area.

I hope he stays, becomes a player/coach and one day Manager ... maybe as manager he can win the one thing he always wanted to win as a player. 
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #24: Oct 31, 2014 03:10:19 pm
      Sorting my lunch in the local corner shop this morning, the owner, who knows I'm a Liverpool fan said he heard some rumours that he'll take part in the Indian Premier League next year, didn't believe him though.
      I would love that tbf  :D. Just to see him playing live.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #25: Oct 31, 2014 03:11:54 pm
      Like you say I think the main concern is who do we bring in to replace him.... some young prospect, or do we bite the bullet and bring in an established top class midfield player and leader.

Should have moved heaven and earth to sign Paul Pogba in the summer. That would have been your Stevie G replacement and long-term heir right there
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #26: Oct 31, 2014 03:18:20 pm
      I think a good Premiership winning team needs 2/3 top top players and we lost Luis and Daniel is injured and although Stevie is coming to an end he did indeed still have a massive influence on the games and the team.
      If he goes we will be a team without focal point and without any real stars what then.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #27: Oct 31, 2014 03:22:46 pm
      Stevie doesn't lay it on particularly heavily, but  its fairly clear to see what he's saying:-

1) Selling Luis and recruiting loads of kids/3rd tier players wasn't going to work.

2)So much for FFP. We still aren't gonna match the "big teams" (big in terms of ambition, not history or number of fans).

3)Fenway made it clear, they only really wanna buy kids, and cheaper players.
      (Stevie doesn't say, but lets face it, its purely for potential profit on resale).

4)Maybe it also says that he won't accept a pisstake offer on a new deal.

My own observation is that if we sell Stevie, I don't think we'll have even a SINGLE highly experienced player on the bks. I expect Johnson gone soon. Sturridge isn't THAT experienced, nor is Lovren or Lallana or Henderson. Whoever thinks the remnants can lead a charge for major silverware without ANY experience must be deluding themselves.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,648 posts | 3918 
      Reply #28: Oct 31, 2014 03:25:33 pm
      It would be catastrophic if he does not sign a new deal. Absolute fact.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #29: Oct 31, 2014 03:33:57 pm
      I remember him as a kid looking as if he had just come from a street game in Huyton. It will be a massive day when he does leave because he has been the heartbeat of this team almost since he first played he was that good. This club has always been identified by the local lads that had played for the club who will replace him and who will drive us on when all seems lost
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #30: Oct 31, 2014 04:00:03 pm
      To see him anywhere else now would be gutting and not what this club stands for

If memory serves, didn't Shanks say you sell a player so his legs go on the next manager?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #31: Oct 31, 2014 04:17:31 pm
      I don't have to agree though .

Steven for me should retire here

You be happy to let him go mate, I'm just saying I wouldn't

I didn't say that, I'm just saying it isn't against the clubs values.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #32: Oct 31, 2014 04:24:26 pm
      I couldn't see him moving abroad given the ages of his daughters mate. Am sure the club will be in with a contract offer at the turn of the year, I would be surprised if they didn't. I think he will play 2 more seasons (after this one) at LFC myself.

The rumours about Reus gain more substance by the day.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-move-marco-reus-after-4533250

It would be good to see the manager allowed the luxury of a pre-emptive signing unlike the Suarez debacle.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #33: Oct 31, 2014 04:31:55 pm

I didn't say that, I'm just saying it isn't against the clubs values.

It's very much in line with the clubs values, historically.
      No sentiment at all from Shanks or Paisley. Or Fagan for that matter.

People forget things like Shanks ignoring injured players and turfing out those he thought could no longer cut it.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #34: Oct 31, 2014 04:35:47 pm

People forget things like Shanks ignoring injured players and turfing out those he thought could no longer cut it.

I will say it is much harder for fans not to feel sentimental though.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #35: Oct 31, 2014 04:37:52 pm
      I don't have to agree though .

Steven for me should retire here

You be happy to let him go mate, I'm just saying I wouldn't

You know as we all do SG will not let anything detrimental to his performance affect LFC Jon.
      If he feels he is not able to serve the club to the best of his ability he will put his hand up.
      When that day comes there is no logical reason he should not be given a roll on the coaching side of things and eventually step into management in some capacity.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #36: Oct 31, 2014 04:38:36 pm

True for most.
      I tend to switch off once they leave.
      Remember the good times and the great things players did, but that's it.
      I can honestly say I haven't given Suarez a second thought since he left for instance.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #37: Oct 31, 2014 04:39:49 pm

You're right however I don't get sentimental about players historically.. Steven should be different though

In terms of the club though and how we have acted historically, I'd love the club to still act in the same manner, but we don't under modern ownership's

It's not relevant for any of us to use it with the modern day club I guess
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #38: Oct 31, 2014 04:43:26 pm
      You're right however I don't get sentimental about players historically.. Steven should be different though

In terms of the club though and how we have acted historically, I'd love the club to still act in the same manner, but we don't under modern ownership's

Maybe because you've kind of grown up with him as he progressed mate?
      Just thinking of your excellent thread about your first season, and Gerrard came along not long after.

aul arses like me didn't have the same kind of media saturation, so maybe it's easier because of that.
      or maybe I'm just a heartless f**ker ;)
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #39: Oct 31, 2014 04:43:56 pm
      True for most.
      I tend to switch off once they leave.
      Remember the good times and the great things players did, but that's it.
      I can honestly say I haven't given Suarez a second thought since he left for instance.

Bit of a difference there, mate. Suarez was only with us three years, Stevie's been with us for sixteen. Club captain, true legend. Suarez was just a great player, I wouldn't consider him a club legend. He wasn't with us long enough.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #40: Oct 31, 2014 04:48:51 pm
      Bit of a difference there, mate. Suarez was only with us three years, Stevie's been with us for sixteen. Club captain, true legend. Suarez was just a great player, I wouldn't consider him a club legend. He wasn't with us long enough.

It was an example more than anything.
      I remember some great players leaving, and it never really affected me.
      It's not that I don't respect what they've done, I just have a habit of looking forwards, not back.
      Always been the same way.

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Reply #41: Oct 31, 2014 04:52:14 pm
      We all know he will be here next year. Might be a case of him being offered a 1 year deal but he wants more.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #42: Oct 31, 2014 04:57:42 pm
      It was an example more than anything.
      I remember some great players leaving, and it never really affected me.
      It's not that I don't respect what they've done, I just have a habit of looking forwards, not back.
      Always been the same way.

Then looking forward, who comes close to him in leadership qualities? Henderson may have been made VC but he's no where near Stevie in terms of leadership. Plus Henderson is only just getting his act together after a very difficult start to his Liverpool career and I don't think one or two good seasons makes him Captain material. From a purely pragmatic perspective, the club would be a lot worse off where Stevie to leave now. Three years could make a big difference to us, especially if Henderson's level of development continues. He'd have a lot more experience and would likely have more games as Captain under his belt as Stevie was phased out.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #43: Oct 31, 2014 04:58:52 pm
      Maybe because you've kind of grown up with him as he progressed mate?
      Just thinking of your excellent thread about your first season, and Gerrard came along not long after.

aul arses like me didn't have the same kind of media saturation, so maybe it's easier because of that.
      or maybe I'm just a heartless f**ker ;)

It wasn't my first season mate, first season I remember was 84-85
      It was just a random season not my first at all

I'm more sentimental over Steven perhaps because he has earnt it, he could have gone and won things elsewhere but he stayed with his club, our club, it was easier to stay here when we won everything but Stevie had given his career to us in less successful times.

What this club means to us means the same to him.. I've never battered an eyelid at Suarez leaving or Torres or whoever and if Steven left I'd get on with it but I personally think he should retire here as Carra did..
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #44: Oct 31, 2014 05:00:47 pm

Shankly, Paisley and Fagan did indeed have little sentiment where the best interests of LFC were concerned, by the same token all of them would recognise the wisdom of not using an inflexible doctrine when a player's better days were behind him and the club could reap the benefit of their experience and wisdom. 
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,446 posts | 4584 
      Reply #45: Oct 31, 2014 05:02:22 pm
      If the skipper does leave next season he will leave behind a void that will take a generation to fill, I think Rafa was the only one looking at addressing life without Gerrard in the team wether he was sold or retired.

Priority has to be a striker but just as or more importantly looking for a heir to Gerrard in Midfield.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,342 posts | 1526 
      Reply #46: Oct 31, 2014 05:10:55 pm
      If memory serves, didn't Shanks say you sell a player so his legs go on the next manager?
      Sir Bob actually, But n ever a truer word.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,342 posts | 1526 
      Reply #47: Oct 31, 2014 05:13:43 pm
      r more importantly looking for a heir to Gerrard in Midfield.

Think Brendan has Henderson earmarked for that role.    Hmmmm, food for thought.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #48: Oct 31, 2014 05:16:58 pm
      The rumours about Reus gain more substance by the day.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-move-marco-reus-after-4533250

It would be good to see the manager allowed the luxury of a pre-emptive signing unlike the Suarez debacle.

It's that F***ing Metro story again.  :roll:
      It is getting some news space tho', the Echo which is not known for it's bullshitting and now the Mirror have run it.
      There may be some meat on this one.
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2014 05:35:22 pm by stuey »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #49: Oct 31, 2014 05:21:53 pm
      Then looking forward, who comes close to him in leadership qualities? Henderson may have been made VC but he's no where near Stevie in terms of leadership. Plus Henderson is only just getting his act together after a very difficult start to his Liverpool career and I don't think one or two good seasons makes him Captain material. From a purely pragmatic perspective, the club would be a lot worse off where Stevie to leave now. Three years could make a big difference to us, especially if Henderson's level of development continues. He'd have a lot more experience and would likely have more games as Captain under his belt as Stevie was phased out.

I'm not sure I agree about leadership qualities. For me he's not a true leader, except by example.
      That's not a criticism, he's kind of an introvert as he admits himself, so he's done well in a role that isn't natural to him, and has overcome his own nature to an extent.
      A true leader is someone like Martin Jonhson, a different sport, but the skills are transferable.
      I think it's something some people are born with and others aren't.

We don't know what will happen in the next few years, but I'd really like to see one of the local lads come through and grow to become our on field leader.

It wasn't my first season mate, first season I remember was 84-85
      It was just a random season not my first at all

I'm more sentimental over Steven perhaps because he has earnt it, he could have gone and won things elsewhere but he stayed with his club, our club, it was easier to stay here when we won everything but Stevie had given his career to us in less successful times.

What this club means to us means the same to him.. I've never battered an eyelid at Suarez leaving or Torres or whoever and if Steven left I'd get on with it but I personally think he should retire here as Carra did..

Fair enough mate, I must have misread, or my memory is worse than I thought  :D

I think I'd like the same thing, for him to retire here, but if he was offered big money to play in MLS, I wouldn't begrudge it.
      No doubt he's right up there with the best players we've had, and maybe he's laying the groundwork for announcing his retirement.
      Only he really knows how much he has left, and I think injuries have taken their toll on him so it might be a question of him knowing that he hasn't got much left.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Reply #50: Oct 31, 2014 05:23:03 pm
      Think Brendan has Henderson earmarked for that role.    Hmmmm, food for thought.

Probably Can I would have thought.

Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #51: Oct 31, 2014 05:25:27 pm
      Gerrard would last 2 more years in Serie A. He'd be perfect for Inter Milan.

Of course it would be a disgrace if Liverpool allowed him to leave. He should end his career at Anfield as an important player in the squad, but not a regular in the team from next season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,646 posts | 6942 
      Reply #52: Oct 31, 2014 05:47:58 pm

Agree.

Of course it would be a disgrace if Liverpool allowed him to leave

Disagree. 

I've already said I think he should have another year but we need to take off our rose-tinted spectacles and remember that we are not talking about Gerrard 2004-2010 here.  Those days are gone.  They're not coming back. 

It wouldn't be a disgrace if LFC didn't feel they could offer him the money he might get elsewhere - especially when they may have to pay the wages of a player to take his place.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #53: Oct 31, 2014 05:53:09 pm
      There are numerous issues:-

1)Gerrard is the ONLY leader we have left.
      2)He's also the ONLY player we have with a top level history.
      3)He thinks Fenway are cu*ts, altho he does say it in a roundabout way
      - wonder what he would've done if Fenway were here, if he'd been in his mid 20s today.
      4)The only bit that goes against all this, is that it does make sense for older players to finish their careers in Italy or somewhere.. IF the transfer fee outweighed the loss of the player's attributes.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #54: Oct 31, 2014 05:55:54 pm

Of course it would be a disgrace if Liverpool allowed him to leave. He should end his career at Anfield as an important player in the squad, but not a regular in the team from next season.

It's debateable whether a Serie A side would take him on knowing his better days are gone and he would have to be used sparingly.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Re: Steven Gerrard: As frustrated as every reds.
      Reply #55: Oct 31, 2014 05:56:12 pm
      I think this requires a thread for itself.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/is-steven-gerrard-about-to-leave-liverpool-30706838.html

Great interview. It would be terrible if FSG lets SG to become a free agent. More over he is still a great player if managed well.
      The general tone sounded like the players and probable the manager are not happy with the owner's policy of buying youngsters.

And if Gerrard become a free agent and joins some where like City or Chelsea and wins the title with them, would you guys be happy for him?

PS: Now that Gerrard voiced against FSG, would RAWK ban Gerrard?  ;D

I'm sure Dawk.com IS now part of the apparatus of FSG and its media machine. Have you actually read some of their drivel these days? Makes me vomit.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #56: Oct 31, 2014 05:56:44 pm
      Understandable that sentiment is swaying judgement on this one.

My opinion is that he should stay on as a coach, the same way that Carra should have but if he feels the need to go elsewhere to get first team minutes then that's fair enough.

He should not get in the first team on anything other than merit, I don't believe he would want to damage the team at the expense of being sentimental. I'd love him to retire here but if he feels he wants to go playing first team football longer than we can afford to offer him then it's time to listen to your heads over your hearts.

There should of course be an open offer to come back whenever he wants to coach with the club and he should go on to be an ambassador for us but hurting our prospects for the sake of sentiment is absolutely stupid.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #57: Oct 31, 2014 06:01:51 pm
      I'm not sure I agree about leadership qualities. For me he's not a true leader, except by example.
      That's not a criticism, he's kind of an introvert as he admits himself, so he's done well in a role that isn't natural to him, and has overcome his own nature to an extent.
      A true leader is someone like Martin Jonhson, a different sport, but the skills are transferable.
      I think it's something some people are born with and others aren't.

We don't know what will happen in the next few years, but I'd really like to see one of the local lads come through and grow to become our on field leader.

I agree with you in terms of his natural leadership abilities but leadership comes in many forms. It should not be underestimated the importance of his 'club legend' role and the respect he earns. He might not be a leader in the sense of "do as I say" but because he's a leader in terms of 'do as I do', people tend to listen to him when he does have something to say. Emotion aside, looking at the situation pragmatically, there simply is no one else left at the club that can currently replace him as Captain.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #58: Oct 31, 2014 06:11:30 pm
      Given that Lampard wasn't offered a new contract at Chelsea, I wouldn't be at all surprised if our owners don't offer Gerrard one either, not with their obsession with 'ones for the future'. The biggest problem in that is that no one at the club is ready to step up to the level of leadership he offers. As for lessons being learned from 2002 and 2009, we learned none, nor did we learn lessons from 2013 Spurs and if we fail to finish in the top four again this season, I doubt very much our owners will learn the lessons of 2014/2015.

Neither does Stevie himself. He's never been vocal and take the Hull match for example; ref tells Stevie to pull aside Balo and have a word. What did Stevie do - FA and ran back to his own position! He's someone who has led by example. But how do you lead this new group of players when you're struggling to adapt to a new position yourself?

Then obviously there's the wage problem. He is the biggest earner here so would he be prepared to take the cut or would he do a Johnson? Would he also be prepared to play less frequently? Surely common sense has to kick-in with him at the realisation he ain't got the legs for it anymore.

TBH I can't see any of the BIG 3 from the PL going for him or any of the so-called big teams from continental Europe going for him for that matter. If he goes it'll definitely be the MLS - high salary and same language.

It'll be a wrench if he goes and it'll be a further massive wrench as far as club identity aswell. It's a massive conundrum for Brendan and the commercial men at the club too.

I think Stevie is also at the crossroads of life too. If he's ever going to make 'the move' then now is the ideal time for doing so before he really is deemed too old.

He's a fabulous servant to the club and a great example to the word loyalty but, when do you replace realism with romance? And haven't we also been told on numerous occasions that "no one player is bigger than the club"?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #59: Oct 31, 2014 06:17:44 pm
      I agree with you in terms of his natural leadership abilities but leadership comes in many forms. It should not be underestimated the importance of his 'club legend' role and the respect he earns. He might not be a leader in the sense of "do as I say" but because he's a leader in terms of 'do as I do', people tend to listen to him when he does have something to say. Emotion aside, looking at the situation pragmatically, there simply is no one else left at the club that can currently replace him as Captain.

I can't agree with you on this one.
      I'd love Gerrard to have true leadership qualities, but it's just not there in my opinion.
      A real leader is almost a force of nature, charismatic, strong, someone people automatically look up to (all people, not just team mates), one of those people who, when they walk into a room, it's like everything else stops.
      There are very few people who have this quality, it's rare, and I think the word has been cheapened by overuse in much the same that "world class" has.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #60: Oct 31, 2014 06:21:29 pm
      I can't agree with you on this one.
      I'd love Gerrard to have true leadership qualities, but it's just not there in my opinion.
      A real leader is almost a force of nature, charismatic, strong, someone people automatically look up to (all people, not just team mates), one of those people who, when they walk into a room, it's like everything else stops.
      There are very few people who have this quality, it's rare, and I think the word has been cheapened by overuse in much the same that "world class" has.

Nonetheless, the question remains. Who is capable of taking over from him? If we put aside his style of leadership for the moment, who at LFC now is a force of nature?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,188 posts | 4404 
      Reply #61: Oct 31, 2014 06:27:41 pm
      Nonetheless, the question remains. Who is capable of taking over from him? If we put aside his style of leadership for the moment, who at LFC now is a force of nature?

All great teams have leaders all over the pitch not one individual idol that the other players are in awe of.
      The whole leadership stuff is so over rated imo, do professional footballers really need to be directed, spurred on during a match bearing in mind the tactics and play has already been set by the coach.

Don77

• 6,529 posts | 1083 
      Reply #62: Oct 31, 2014 06:29:26 pm
      Is it a possibility that gerrard has already spoke to the club. They want him to finish at the end of the season and go on the coaching staff. He says he wants to play on next season and isnt ready to retire.

Reading his words ... he wants to stay and if the club offer him a deal he will.

He is putting it out there that its in the clubs court. They cant let a player of his stature, respect, know how, quality and experience just walk out of the football club.

That would be a big mistake imo.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #63: Oct 31, 2014 06:31:49 pm

no one.
      and neither is Gerrard.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #64: Oct 31, 2014 06:34:39 pm
      I actually don't think there's too much here. Seems like a bit of a tactic from both sides to meet somewhere in the middle on a new contract for Stevie. As much as a lot people hate them, FSG aren't dumb; they know the backlash that will happen if Gerrard is moved on to another team. I'd be very surprised if we don't see him playing for Liverpool in August.

Whether or not he should still be starting week in, week out is another issue. He's sort of become the elephant in the room in the sense that he's not a particularly great DM but his attributes/passing range/presence you don't want to do without on the pitch. Almost as if he doesn't quite fit into a set position any more. It's a tough call for any manager to make. There is no such thing as a like-for-like replacement of Stevie -- he's truly one-of-a-kind -- but there are better DMs out there (albeit ones without Gerrard's attacking attributes).

As for him becoming a coach, am I the only one who thinks Stevie's not quite ready for that? He's never really struck me as the coaching type because he's an incredibly gifted footballer. Seems like he might be better suited to an academy type of thing, schooling youngsters in what it means to play for Liverpool. Contrast that with Carragher who, while not immensely talented naturally, is a very intelligent observer and student of the game, in part because he needed to be. Carra is the one who should've been offered a coaching role.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #65: Oct 31, 2014 06:38:38 pm

It wouldn't be a disgrace if LFC didn't feel they could offer him the money he might get elsewhere - especially when they may have to pay the wages of a player to take his place.

I think Gerrard is more than just a player on the field to Liverpool. He's been an important symbol of the quality of the club during a sustained period of decline, a homegrown local boy who turned out to be world class yet remained at Anfield despite playing in generally average Liverpool sides.

It's important the manager doesn't treat him as special when it comes to team selection,  but when it comes to his involvement at the club I don't think money should be an issue. He's probably still among our top 3 shirt sellers anyway and remains the most famous player in our squad for marketing purposes.

The club has to show its class when dealing with Gerrard and accept he is a one off.   
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #66: Oct 31, 2014 06:41:51 pm
      As long as he's a footballer he should be playing at Liverpool.

Whether he is 34, 44 or 104.

John you forgot to add with a L.F.C. club  simmer frame.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #67: Oct 31, 2014 06:41:58 pm
      no one.
      and neither is Gerrard.

I never said he was. Don't put words in my mouth. To be clear, I never thought he should be Captain in the first place. I thought Carragher should have been.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #68: Oct 31, 2014 06:56:18 pm
      I never said he was. Don't put words in my mouth. To be clear, I never thought he should be Captain in the first place. I thought Carragher should have been.

I'm not sure what the issue is here.
      I've stated as clearly as I can what I think, and what a leader is, in my view.
      Nor am I trying to put words in your mouth.

I don't think Carra should have been captain, he's far too political to be a true leader, and the way he got people to brief the press against Rafa was not something I expect from a Liverpool player regardless of how much he wanted a new contract.

I think Rafa made the right decision making Gerrard captain, and Hyypia showed his class when he stepped aside and gave his full support.

It's up to Gerrard whether or not he goes into coaching, but he might decide it's not for him.
      I know Rafa spoke to him about it, and maybe it's something he's looking at doing, but only time will tell.

More and more top players are leaving the game altogether apart from a bit of pundit work, maybe because they are set for life these days, which wasn't the case years ago.

When it comes to a new contract for him, he certainly doesn't need to sign one for the money, but there is the small matter of a gaping hole in his trophy cabinet and I think that is what will motivate him to carry on in some capacity, even if it's just as a bit part player, but that in itself presents problems, because Gerrard is one of those players who gets better as a season goes on and he gets more game time.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #69: Oct 31, 2014 06:58:45 pm
      we don't have anyone of his calibre to replace him and you will not get a 25 year old version of Steven Gerrard for Ā£25mil its more likely to be in excess of Ā£60mil so no chance of another world star arriving even to replace Stevie.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #70: Oct 31, 2014 07:03:02 pm
      we don't have anyone of his calibre to replace him and you will not get a 25 year old version of Steven Gerrard for Ā£25mil its more likely to be in excess of Ā£60mil so no chance of another world star arriving even to replace Stevie.

If there's another player half as talented, I hope he comes through the ranks.
      Rossiter looks a proper player, and he might just fit the bill if his development continues.

I don't know if anyone can shed some light on this for me, but someone told me that a few of the young lads are doing a lot more training with the first team than used to be the case.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #71: Oct 31, 2014 07:10:24 pm
      Don't reckon he'll be at LFC next season. He feels he can still do a job at the moment, and he can - if he didn't, he'd be gone already. Don't think he'll want to fade in the red shirt, have the 'we need to talk about SG' type debate grow, maybe start to struggle to perform the way he wants to. In saying that, think he'll still want to play ball - and at another club, while not at the same level, he could play without the same kind of pressure, expectation etc

Also, he's be such a good servant to the club, so loyal - and been here so long, wouldn't be surprised if he felt it time for a new challenge, in the knowledge that nobody at the club would begrudge him that (whereas had he left a few years back when he nearly went to Chelsea, might have coloured a few fans opinions). Coming to the end of your playing career, would say you'd want to squeeze every last drop out of it. If he is considering some kind of coaching/other job in the future at LFC, might be good time to take a break before possibly coming back in some capacity.

I'm massive fan of SG, think he is absolutely one of the top3 or 4 players ever to have played for the club. Don't buy into the whole 'but he didn't win this, or as many of that'. You can see it in the way he plays, how he carries himself, what he says, how much the club, fans etc mean to him. Definitely bleeds LFC red through and through. How many great LFC moments of past years have been down to SG - this is a guy who stands up to be counted when the chips are down, leads from the front, inspires people around him - there aren't too F***ing many of them guys around.

Obviously could be completely wrong :) ,  but no matter when he hangs up the red shirt, will be very sorry to see him go. They don't make too many like SG.
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #72: Oct 31, 2014 07:22:10 pm
      It'll be a sad day when Captain Fantastic leaves the club. He's the Liverpool legend of my time and someone who I can tell my grandchildren one day, "Yep, I grew up watching Steven Gerrard play, what a legend".
      solodee

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #73: Oct 31, 2014 07:23:16 pm
      Gerrard? A free agent? That would be disaster for Brendan. He will lose a lot of love and respect.

Then Chelsea snaps him up and he goes to win the trophy that has eluded us this long.

We need to respect the Man and give him the contract he needs.

He is still the best long range passer out there.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #74: Oct 31, 2014 07:49:28 pm
      If there's another player half as talented, I hope he comes through the ranks.
      Rossiter looks a proper player, and he might just fit the bill if his development continues.

I don't know if anyone can shed some light on this for me, but someone told me that a few of the young lads are doing a lot more training with the first team than used to be the case.

As evident from photographs of recent training sessions. Deffo saw the likes of Williams and Wilson there.

Gerrard? A free agent? That would be disaster for Brendan. He will lose a lot of love and respect.

Then Chelsea snaps him up and he goes to win the trophy that has eluded us this long.

We need to respect the Man and give him the contract he needs.

He is still the best long range passer out there.

If he goes he won't go to a rival and in any case nobody is going to sign him for sentiment reasons. Before I get Drogba thrown in my face, Drogba is still a capable and dangerous player. There's no room for Gerrard in their midfield.

I honestly think he liked what he saw in the US during the pre-season. And they can afford a comparative wage - Henry reputedly earns Ā£3m a season!
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #75: Oct 31, 2014 07:55:30 pm
      He needs to stay until he retires. The same way Giggs did with Utd. Or Scholes. Or John Terry with Chelsea. He won't play for another club. Certain players have given their all for their respective clubs. The least they can do is allow them the dignity of finishing there.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #76: Oct 31, 2014 08:58:48 pm
      If he goes he won't go to a rival

Why not? You sound very sure about this.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #77: Oct 31, 2014 09:25:18 pm

Because you don't risk throwing away a legacy like Stevie's.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #78: Oct 31, 2014 09:38:17 pm
      Why would he be played virtually every minute of every game if the club were looking to get rid of him next season? IMO they still see him as a key part of the team and although you could argue that it's the same for Johnson given how much he seems to play but he has been dropped a few times lately and is clearly not as integral to the club.

I can't see Gerrard going anywhere in the summer.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #79: Oct 31, 2014 09:54:02 pm
      I'm not sure what the issue is here.
      I've stated as clearly as I can what I think, and what a leader is, in my view.
      Nor am I trying to put words in your mouth.

I don't think Carra should have been captain, he's far too political to be a true leader, and the way he got people to brief the press against Rafa was not something I expect from a Liverpool player regardless of how much he wanted a new contract.

I think Rafa made the right decision making Gerrard captain, and Hyypia showed his class when he stepped aside and gave his full support.

It's up to Gerrard whether or not he goes into coaching, but he might decide it's not for him.
      I know Rafa spoke to him about it, and maybe it's something he's looking at doing, but only time will tell.

More and more top players are leaving the game altogether apart from a bit of pundit work, maybe because they are set for life these days, which wasn't the case years ago.

When it comes to a new contract for him, he certainly doesn't need to sign one for the money, but there is the small matter of a gaping hole in his trophy cabinet and I think that is what will motivate him to carry on in some capacity, even if it's just as a bit part player, but that in itself presents problems, because Gerrard is one of those players who gets better as a season goes on and he gets more game time.

There's no issue, I just don't like people who try to put words in my mouth which you appeared to be doing. A simple misunderstanding.
      « Last Edit: Oct 31, 2014 10:40:56 pm by 5timesacharm »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #80: Oct 31, 2014 10:16:03 pm
      Patrick Vieira exclusive: England captain Gerrard is a true leader who never hides
                                                -----------------------------------------

Kenny Dalglish praises Steven Gerrard leadership qualities after midfielder signs new contract
       Jan 13, 2012 07:27 
      By James Pearce

KENNY DALGLISH praised Steven Gerrardā€™s leadership qualities after the Liverpool FC skipper penned an extension to his contract.
      The Reds boss says the  inspirational midfielder plays  a huge role both on and off the  pitch and heā€™s delighted that  the 31-year-old is staying at  Anfield for the rest of his  career.

ā€œItā€™s fantastic for  everybody,ā€ Dalglish said.

ā€œPeople only see what he  does on the pitch but Steven  does everything. Itā€™s the same  for Carra as well who is also  influential among the young  players. They are two great examples for them to sit and  look up to.

ā€œSteven, being the club  captain, is very impressive. If  thereā€™s a problem to be sorted  in the dressing room, which  isnā€™t very often, heā€™ll deal with  it and it doesnā€™t come any  further than the dressing  room which is fantastic for us.  It doesnā€™t happen too often but  if it happens he steps in.

ā€œHe stands up to be counted  on and off the pitch."
                                                      -------------------------------------------
      Brendan Rodgers believes Steven Gerrard's leadership skills have taken the focus from his outstanding form during Liverpool's title challenge and insisted he would not swap his captain for any playmaker in Europe.

"I think his form sometimes gets lost a wee bit with Steven because his leadership quality in the team is there for all to see,"
                                                               ----------------------------------------------------------
      England will miss "fantastic" captain Steven Gerrard after his retirement from international football, says national boss Roy Hodgson.

ā€œAs a captain he could not have done more for the causeā€

Greg Dyke

FA chairman

The Liverpool midfielder, 34, won 114 caps and scored 21 goals, representing his country at six major tournaments.

"We shall miss his leadership qualities as we look ahead with a youthful group," Hodgson said.
                                                         --------------------------------------

Henderson said: ā€œStevieā€™s probably not only the best captain for Liverpool and before with England, but in the game itself.

ā€œBeing around him has benefited me a lot. Itā€™s been huge. Every day I watch him. Itā€™s his desire to improve.

ā€œHeā€™s been the best and most influential player here for such a long time but he still wants to get better.

ā€œHe takes training really seriously and sets the tone for how things should be. Everyone else follows.

ā€œHe does a lot of things that people on the outside donā€™t see. On the pitch heā€™s a great leader.

ā€œYou can see the goals, the passes and the tackles he makes; the way he inspires the team.

ā€œBut off the pitch he conducts himself brilliantly too. Heā€™s a genuinely nice person and everybody in the squad knows they can go to him.

ā€œThe most important thing is he puts the team in front of everybody else including himself. The most important thing is the team.ā€
                                                   ------------------------------------------

But what the F**k would they know !!!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #81: Oct 31, 2014 10:39:11 pm

ļ€† James Pearce retweeted

Liverpool Echo ā€@LivEchoLFC  Ā· 8 mins8 minutes ago 
      #LFC set to open contract talks with captain Steven Gerrard http://bit.ly/1tqpOnf 

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,648 posts | 3918 
      Reply #82: Oct 31, 2014 11:51:12 pm
      Nice one!!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #83: Nov 01, 2014 12:56:06 am
      Because you don't risk throwing away a legacy like Stevie's.

Who doesn't s@int? Not too sure I understand your answer. The club don't risk it?

If so, they don't have any say if he leaves as a free agent and if it was down to him - if the contract wasn't offered - like 2005 I'd imagine he'd look to move to a club that he had the most chance of winning a major medal with next season.

It's all by the by anyway as he'll be here next season, I'm pretty sure of that. The interview was him giving the club a nudge in my opinion.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #84: Nov 01, 2014 01:11:09 am
      Just give him a ontract for the next 5 years so he is here until he retires and will be no more talk of contracts.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #85: Nov 01, 2014 01:22:55 am
      Who doesn't s@int? Not too sure I understand your answer. The club don't risk it?

If so, they don't have any say if he leaves as a free agent and if it was down to him - if the contract wasn't offered - like 2005 I'd imagine he'd look to move to a club that he had the most chance of winning a major medal with next season.

It's all by the by anyway as he'll be here next season, I'm pretty sure of that. The interview was him giving the club a nudge in my opinion.

Yeah I didn't make myself too clear mate.... I meant Gerrard wouldn't want to throw away his legacy by joining a rival.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #86: Nov 01, 2014 03:03:51 am

Because as much as he's desperate for a PL winners medal, something tells me he'd only want to achieve that with his boyhood club. Also, there's the fact that only two teams (currently) are realistically capable of achieving that aim for him. Chavs, who got shot of Fat Frank for exactly the same predicament that Gerrard is in now and Citeh, who Fat Frank has ended up at and is only used sparingly. I get the feeling Gerrard still want's to play regularly and I doubt Pellegrini will guarantee him that which is why I suspect Gerrard is firing his salvo over the bow right now!

As God has alluded to:-

Meanwhile, Fowler wants midfielder Steven Gerrard to see out his playing career at Anfield.

Skipper Gerrard, 34, said he could join another club next summer if Liverpool do not offer him a new contract.

"Speaking from a selfish point of view, I love Steven Gerrard and I'd love him to stay at Liverpool," said Fowler.

"It's like Ryan Giggs at Manchester United - players come into the club and are instantly lifted by seeing Gerrard.

"He might not be as good as he used to be but he's still a class act.

"The common consensus is that he will go abroad if he did leave Anfield, but if he did become available I think clubs in the Premier League would want him. He's still that good a player."

The above is taken in part from an article where Rodgers is being slagged off by Rene Meulensteen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29859691

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #87: Nov 01, 2014 07:27:30 am
      How do you replace Gerrard..? Honestly I don't think you can - not only for the on the field but the off the field presence he has.

If he doesn't get another 3 years and go on to be on the bench in a managerial capacity I would be amazed. Surley that has to be the logical step - but if his contract ends in May then I would expect some of these MLS teams to be looking now at getting him in... We could lose him very easily and that would be a massive issue for next season.

It's time for both parties to move on. We, as a club, ought to move on and give that on and off field responsibility to someone else. We cannot rely on Gerrard all the time.

Yes we are lacking leaders at present, but someone has to step up and show that courage.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #88: Nov 01, 2014 08:28:47 am
      I don't see it as moving on. For sure the day will come when Gerrard will retire and i hope it will be at his home.

For me it is showing respect to the player that gave himself to the club, even if he is not as young (It doesn't mean he has to start every game)
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #89: Nov 01, 2014 09:26:05 am
      It's time for both parties to move on. We, as a club, ought to move on and give that on and off field responsibility to someone else. We cannot rely on Gerrard all the time.

Yes we are lacking leaders at present, but someone has to step up and show that courage.

Not sure if your being serious....

Personally I believe he can offer a hell of a lot on and off the pitch, even if he steps back a touch. Off the pitch, around the youth players he can offer even more - I bet most of the 10 to 18 year old players idolise him - someone to look upto. He is a great role model, and personally I hope he becomes our manager and wins the one trophy he has always wanted to win with us.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #90: Nov 01, 2014 09:27:54 am
      For me the most interesting things to come from the whole article are the points about our policies.

He would have loved a Costa or a Fabregas but knew it would never have happened. We were never even there for them, that's obvious. You then have Chris Bascombe saying the other week that all the talk of Sanchez not choosing us because of the London thing was pushed into the news by Liverpool.

Forget Reus or anybody who will command high fees and wages. Not happening.

We've had Rodgers and now Gerrard hinting of pastures new whilst our scouting system gets us Lazar Markovic for Ā£20 million quid whilst Suso can't get a sniff and Jordan Ibe plies his trade on loan elsewhere. I'd bet either would have done a better job in the games Markovic has been trusted in.

We'll spend bigger when wages are low and vice versa. Money and future resale is more important. We should have been going all out to build on last season but instead we had the Luis money to build squad depth only. If Luis was still here I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have any depth.

The scouting system doesn't seem to do anything of note and it even seems that we scrimp with the youth set up now when you think we used to employ from Spain (Barcelona?) and what have you.

If we come good again this season it will be despite our owners and because of a super human managerial performance, just like last season.

We are run by minge bags and it is why Steven Gerrard and Brendan Rodgers are saying things like they have that worry me.

Of course Steven will be offered a new deal. He's very important to our marketing strategies at worldwide level. The owners keep raking it in whilst anybody who wants a season ticket for Anfield pays four times as much as somebody at the Bernabau.

Money first, money last, success if it happens on the way but not a priority.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,351 posts | 1629 
      Reply #91: Nov 01, 2014 09:56:23 am
      For me the most interesting things to come from the whole article are the points about our policies.

He would have loved a Costa or a Fabregas but knew it would never have happened. We were never even there for them, that's obvious. You then have Chris Bascombe saying the other week that all the talk of Sanchez not choosing us because of the London thing was pushed into the news by Liverpool.

Forget Reus or anybody who will command high fees and wages. Not happening.

We've had Rodgers and now Gerrard hinting of pastures new whilst our scouting system gets us Lazar Markovic for Ā£20 million quid whilst Suso can't get a sniff and Jordan Ibe plies his trade on loan elsewhere. I'd bet either would have done a better job in the games Markovic has been trusted in.

We'll spend bigger when wages are low and vice versa. Money and future resale is more important. We should have been going all out to build on last season but instead we had the Luis money to build squad depth only. If Luis was still here I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have any depth.

The scouting system doesn't seem to do anything of note and it even seems that we scrimp with the youth set up now when you think we used to employ from Spain (Barcelona?) and what have you.

If we come good again this season it will be despite our owners and because of a super human managerial performance, just like last season.

We are run by minge bags and it is why Steven Gerrard and Brendan Rodgers are saying things like they have that worry me.

Of course Steven will be offered a new deal. He's very important to our marketing strategies at worldwide level. The owners keep raking it in whilst anybody who wants a season ticket for Anfield pays four times as much as somebody at the Bernabau.

Money first, money last, success if it happens on the way but not a priority.

Came in to say something but Wahs has put it better than i could nice one thats how i feel about the whole thing ,i do think the penny has dropped re the owners ,if Stevie could see what was going to happen buying such an influx of players why on earth did we end up treading that path .
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #92: Nov 01, 2014 11:44:56 am

That doesn't mean we just bin Gerrard and allow him to leave.

No reason why he can't be a fill member of our squad but gradually phased out of being a player who plays each and every game no matter what.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #93: Nov 01, 2014 12:09:54 pm
      None story all this talk about a last big pay day with the MLS is outrageous! One last big pay day with LFC on the way!
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #94: Nov 01, 2014 12:47:15 pm
      I have stated numerous times that Stevie is past his best, that he shouldn't be anymore an immovable object from our starting lineup, but he could be a great squad player, a great mentor to our youth players and foreigners (to explain them what it means wearing that red shirt), he still can be useful to our team, what is the point in him leaving our club when he is so close to retirement ? It would be an incredible irony for him to be leaving our club and us to be winning the league when he is not here anymore.

Quick Reply