Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Newcastle 1:0 Liverpool. In game & post game discussion.

Read 33580 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Live: Newcastle V Liverpool
      Reply #483: Nov 01, 2014 05:29:53 pm
      One of the main things it's done for me is confirm just how poor some of the other players around them are. The lack of fight in some of these players is disgusting.

Also think some of them are jaded mentally now. When that starts to happen it's hard to drag them back up without a spark from somewhere, really does feel like this season will just be a slog from now on.

I agree one good performance in fifteen has left them a bit punch drunk for sure.
      I said last season our tactic seemed to be "give it to Luis and Daniel" and it worked a treat.
      How did we become a poor side so quickly and what is happening to change this
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #484: Nov 01, 2014 05:47:08 pm
      Didn't see the game, but that's a sh*t result.
      Even though Fabio/Ricky are not causing barn doors sleep loss, would still probably have started one of them. In saying that, not sure how they did when they came on ie. whether we looked more likely to do something with them on. There really is no silver bullet guaranteed to get us goals just now.
      With S&S there was always light at the end of a poor-form tunnel. Struggling to see that light now - apart from Studge coming back, or January.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #485: Nov 01, 2014 05:50:31 pm
      Simple and straight.. 4th is a straight fight between us and the scum.. thats assuming Saints fall off the rails

The worst thing is we travel to Madrid and welcome the plastics.. I can hardly see any confidence-gaining moments in these 2 games.. the only hope is NOT to suffer further humiliation
      CHOW87
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #486: Nov 01, 2014 05:53:40 pm
      Last season we went into the final day with a chance of winning the league. If Chelsea win next Saturday, we'll be out of the title race with six months to go. Even if we win every game after that, can't see Chelsea dropping fifteen points.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #487: Nov 01, 2014 05:54:28 pm
      Simple and straight.. 4th is a straight fight between us and the scum.. thats assuming Saints fall off the rails

The worst thing is we travel to Madrid and welcome the plastics.. I can hardly see any confidence-gaining moments in these 2 games.. the only hope is NOT to suffer further humiliation

i think if we'll get trashed by real and chelsea, brendan will be sacked or he will be under the cosh
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #488: Nov 01, 2014 05:54:40 pm
      Last season we went into the final day with a chance of winning the league. If Chelsea win next Saturday, we'll be out of the title race with six months to go. Even if we win every game after that, can't see Chelsea dropping fifteen points.

Buddy you got some serious ba**s talking about a title challenge when the discussion here is to beat the scums and hang on to a CL spot
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #489: Nov 01, 2014 05:56:27 pm
      Today's game was more important than Madrid during the week.

The selection was wrong in my opinion and the effort was a disgrace.

We have no idea at the moment and Brendan has a big job on his hands.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #490: Nov 01, 2014 06:01:24 pm
      i think if we'll get trashed by real and chelsea, brendan will be sacked or he will be under the cosh

they won't sack Brendan Brendan and FSG are a joint venture.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #491: Nov 01, 2014 06:21:22 pm
      Just to point out amongst all the doom and gloom, finger pointing and scapegoating, having played ten games each, we're still only three points off fourth place.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #492: Nov 01, 2014 06:27:34 pm
      Just to point out amongst all the doom and gloom, finger pointing and scapegoating, having played ten games each, we're still only three points off fourth place.

Yes but do you see any signs of us going on a winning run of 4 or 5 straight wins.
      CHOW87
      • Forum Michael Robinson

• 53 posts |
      Reply #493: Nov 01, 2014 06:43:05 pm
      After Chelsea it's Palace, Stoke, Leicester and Sunderland. Should be twelve points and the season back on track - but after one point and no goals from games against Hull and Newcastle...

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #494: Nov 01, 2014 07:06:01 pm
      You read all sorts of stuff when things are not going well and that is certainly true at the moment. I'd just like to address a few things. Some in defence of Brendan and Some the opposite. 

- I've read quite a few posts suggesting that last year was simply down to two players, that Brendan was lucky, the team made him rather than the other way around. I do not agree with that at all. Tactically he was spot on last year, he learnt from his mistakes and corrected things that weren't working, dropped players that weren't performing. He switched up formations throughout the season. We started with one up top, played 3-5-2 for a time (with limited success), switched to a diamond with lots of success (notice it is now the in vogue formation for many teams this season? That is down to our success last season IMHO). He also switched the skipper to a holding role mid-season, a move that was criticised by many but proved a master stroke. The manager deserves a lot of credit for last season and our performances this season should not take anything away from that. There are even a few murmurs suggesting he should go, I'm not surprised but get a grip. It can all change pretty quickly in football, ask Alan Pardew or Sam Allardyce and the same can happen for Brendan although I fear it won't be in the next seven days. I just want to see a return to the principles of the last season and a half and that means having a forward line that interchange, that play with pace and tempo. No statues, no Balo, no Rickie.

- The next aspect I wanted to address was transfers, I keep reading whispers about hands tied behind his back, resale values and transfer committees etc. Come on, no excuses the club have bought poorly over the summer and the manager has to take it right on the chin. 60 million on three defenders in the last two windows and we are still shi...te at the back. The two centre-backs (Sakho and Lovren) can't head the ball! Has anyone else noticed? Never a clean header, it's embarrassing. Moreno has some qualities but he won't use his right foot, case proved again today, he took a touch in the box with his right so that he could take the next one with his left, just put your bloody foot through it lad. But the worst is what we have (or haven't done in the window in terms of forwards). That's the biggest mistake by far, £20 million spent on two players who are both change-up players off the bench at best And neither of whom suit our style of play in the slightest, they are square pegs in round holes, completely unsuitable and I don't understand what the manager was thinking. It was crazy to be in a position where the fitness of Studge is the deciding factor for our season. It that is where we're at. I don't know the market so well but there must have been a Suarez type of player out there that we could have gone for, someone who plays on the move with skill and movement. Even an older hand like Tevez would have done the trick. The bizarre thing for me is that Brendan went after and failed to get some really good players prior to use getting in to the Champions league (ie. Willian, Costa, Mikytirian). What happened?

- The next one is back room staff. Why are we talking about some thing that is completely unmeasurable? It's completely speculative isn't it? I don't know what Colin Pascoe and Mike Marsh bring to the table, I'm guessing they brought plenty last year but not a lot this year? Who knows. And all the Steve Clark talk, we weren't exactly setting the world on fire when Clarke was first team coach and pretty much running all the training were we? It's a bit of a non-topic for me.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #495: Nov 01, 2014 07:10:35 pm
      Good piece in TAW: http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2014/11/time-cut-bullshit-fight-battles-pitch/

Well worth a read. As for runs, Walt, I'm just trying to inject some much needed positivity to the forum. We're in danger of talking ourselves in to a genuine crisis if we're not careful.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #496: Nov 01, 2014 07:20:19 pm
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #497: Nov 01, 2014 07:27:45 pm
      Havent read others comments yet because i dont want to influence what i want to say

We are so f***in sh*t.  It has been a long while now since our last good game... the truth is out... liverpool now is absolutely shockingly garbage.   We do not have a winning mentality. The quality of players have gone down... johnson made more critical saves than migs... we dominate possession.. because we are the king of back passes. 

We are horrible to watch now.  Last year we were exciting.. anything can happen.  Now it is holy fk.. anything can happen to us and any opponent can score on us.  Like newcastles goal today... what a joke... we had 6 pylons in the box. 

If we had a bad game once in a while... its a bad day at the office.  If we are consistently bad.... it is us.. we are sh*te and even with sturridge the issues will be there.  Our defense is worse,  our scoring is worse.. our midfiels... why the fk did BR play allen ahead of lallana...
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #498: Nov 01, 2014 07:39:38 pm
      Amazing how the loss of two players has turned us into an average team. No attacking threat. No will to win. No fear factor.

Doesn't help playing with 10 men and 1 passenger....
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #499: Nov 01, 2014 07:55:24 pm
      Please tell me Brendan didn't say anything positive about that sh*t we just witnessed in his post match press conference?

If he did he is deluded, pathetic display, pathetic result. These are the sort of matches we should be banking 3 points. Sort it out Brendan before you get an invite to Boston. p. s. it will not be for a holiday and a perve  at Linda.
      rossyred

• 9,243 posts | 1652 
      Reply #500: Nov 01, 2014 08:00:15 pm
      Clutched at more straws than a scarecrow having a w### in his press conference
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #501: Nov 01, 2014 08:00:33 pm
      Blimey glad I missed this one sounds a shocker .
      Real Madrid up next eh?hmmmmmm could be gruesome .
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #502: Nov 01, 2014 08:01:28 pm
      Blimey glad I missed this one sounds a shocker .
      Real Madrid up next eh?hmmmmmm could be gruesome .

I fear a real pasting and then knowing us we will end up with a result. Because that's how we do things.  :)
      « Last Edit: Nov 01, 2014 08:15:22 pm by HScRed1 »
      Tadders

• 6,724 posts | 566 
      Re: Newcastle 1:0 Liverpool. In game & post game discussion.
      Reply #503: Nov 01, 2014 08:45:16 pm
      You cant keep blaming the loss of Luis. Diego Simone\Ath Madrid lost Augero\Falcao\Costa in each of the last 3 seasons and they keep getting better.

Simple good management, BR seems to have lost his way.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #504: Nov 01, 2014 08:50:46 pm
      If Brendan was tactically spot on last year how come we let so many goals in from set pieces or how come we let Chelsea come here and turn us over. He is not a master tactician.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #505: Nov 01, 2014 08:55:32 pm
      If Brendan was tactically spot on last year how come we let so many goals in from set pieces or how come we let Chelsea come here and turn us over. He is not a master tactician.

One thing he had going for him last year was the belief he was a fantastic attack minded coach. That's why I don't get the persistence with Mario, he must see it isn't working, change it Brendan.

You could claim that it will hurt Mario's confidence by dropping him, well he's clearly not performing on any confidence at the moment anyway.

So far the ones coming out of this with the most credit are Suarez and Sturridge because without them we look absolutely awful going forward. Thinking that Sturridge will come back after 3 months out of the game and hit the ground running is asking too much too.

It's painful to say but we spent £130m in the summer and we're probably waiting on the January window to change our fortunes to any extent, that's lamentable.

Quick Reply