Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Newcastle 1:0 Liverpool. In game & post game discussion.

Read 33588 times
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Re: Newcastle 1:0 Liverpool. In game & post game discussion.
      Reply #506: Nov 01, 2014 09:01:54 pm
      Not good at the back, clueless in midfield and nothing up front. Seriously how has this happened when we had a huge amount to spend over the summer.

Someone is at fault and i'm fed up with the excuses. Rant over.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #507: Nov 01, 2014 09:06:21 pm
      One thing he had going for him last year was the belief he was a fantastic attack minded coach. That's why I don't get the persistence with Mario, he must see it isn't working, change it Brendan.

You could claim that it will hurt Mario's confidence by dropping him, well he's clearly not performing on any confidence at the moment anyway.

So far the ones coming out of this with the most credit are Suarez and Sturridge because without them we look absolutely awful going forward. Thinking that Sturridge will come back after 3 months out of the game and hit the ground running is asking too much too.

It's painful to say but we spent £130m in the summer and we're probably waiting on the January window to change our fortunes to any extent, that's lamentable.

I just cant find any good reason why we would buy Mario. Daniel himself has talked about his injury problems being genetic.
      As for January I wouldn't bring anyone else in unless they are going to go straight into the team and make a big impact.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #508: Nov 01, 2014 09:12:58 pm
      I'm sorry to say it but unless this lacklustre no ideas team changes soon then questions will have to be asked about Brendan Rodgers.
      If a single player has a bad game you can blame the player but when a whole team is shocking game after game after game then its the manager who is at fault.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #509: Nov 01, 2014 09:17:25 pm

1 good game in 15 has to ring alarm bells for the club we are going backwards and soon Roy will be telling everyone of his glory days at Anfield.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #510: Nov 01, 2014 09:21:11 pm
      and that game at white hart lane we were saved by spurs missing some big chances, adebayor, chadli if i remember well missed clear cut chances when we were 1-0 up , it wasnt a perfect match by all means
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #511: Nov 01, 2014 09:35:01 pm
      One thing he had going for him last year was the belief he was a fantastic attack minded coach. That's why I don't get the persistence with Mario, he must see it isn't working, change it Brendan.

You could claim that it will hurt Mario's confidence by dropping him, well he's clearly not performing on any confidence at the moment anyway.

So far the ones coming out of this with the most credit are Suarez and Sturridge because without them we look absolutely awful going forward. Thinking that Sturridge will come back after 3 months out of the game and hit the ground running is asking too much too.

It's painful to say but we spent £130m in the summer and we're probably waiting on the January window to change our fortunes to any extent, that's lamentable.

The thing is that I've no doubt that we could have put out a team that would have pasted the barcodes today. It was just poor team selection and tactics. Hendo and Allen are not the type of players who can receive the ball in between the lines, have a creative turn or flick, and link midfield to attack when the opposition sets up to stifle us. And Balotelli, despite being very talented, offers us next to nothing in terms of movement, energy, and effort. The two times he actually made a run through the channel to create space for himself we actually created some decent openings. Problem is he doesn't work enough for the team, and I blame BR for being stubborn (or stupid) enough to keep picking him.

Swap Lallana for Allen, Markovic for Hendo, and Lambert for Balotelli and I'm confident we'd have won. It wasn't Stevie that let us down today, it was Allen, Hendo, Balotelli, and BR....
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #512: Nov 01, 2014 09:40:06 pm
      Henderson is having to be Stevie's legs that cant help the lad improve his game can it.
      There are so many small details that are wrong and they add up to a big F**k up. Just play the best team we have with players in form is that so difficult.Tactics rarely win games players do
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #513: Nov 01, 2014 09:53:32 pm
      That game just asked many questions which Rodgers and our team couldn't answer.  Weird tactics, weird starting XI.

Some performances today were insipid.  I know we can't always play well, this performance has angered me, I've deleted so much that I've written, 4 paragraphs. I might try again later nut I will say that was an atrocious display by the three central midfielders today, the back five still look like they've never played together, though I will say Rodgers use of Moreno gave him no chance of looking good today, Sterling had an off day, as teenagers are prone too, Coutinho had no one around him but couldn't do it on his own and our centre forward looked better in wide areas than he did anywhere near the penalty box.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #514: Nov 01, 2014 09:59:02 pm
      That game just asked many questions which Rodgers and our team couldn't answer.  Weird tactics, weird starting XI.

Some performances today were insipid.  I know we can't always play well, this performance has angered me, I've deleted so much that I've written, 4 paragraphs. I might try again later nut I will say that was an atrocious display by the three central midfielders today, the back five still look like they've never played together, though I will say Rodgers use of Moreno gave him no chance of looking good today, Sterling had an off day, as teenagers are prone too, Coutinho had no one around him but couldn't do it on his own and our centre forward looked better in wide areas than he did anywhere near the penalty box.

what can you say without being angry  though. Why does he pick those 3 in midfield they have never done great things.Why are the players no performing?. What is going on with the club we are imploding
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #515: Nov 01, 2014 10:09:11 pm
      Are we just getting used to having to play midweek against europes best then backup on the weekend. We probably are preparing for chelsea and madrid. Personally we had a better chance of taking three points off Newcastle
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #516: Nov 01, 2014 11:12:49 pm
      When you are being labeled toothless, it's a very very big big wake up call. I'm sure FSG has scouts monitoring all these forums to have an independent feedback on what's happening with third party opinions. Take a look at the last 10 pages or so, the same thing is said about our weaknesses but  said in different ways, I haven't been so angry before with the manager but churning out such rubbish tactics and performance game after game is undefendable and if things doesn't change fast we'll be heading towards the wrong end of the table and I truly fear for BR.

Call me a knee jerker, yes I am and I prefer to be labeled as such and change things drastically to improve instead on continuing with the mindless and toothless tactics.

To be honest, I don't blame the players a single bit, the tactics are awfully wrong take for instance Sterling ... twisting and turning the whole game, not that he's not trying, but with no one supporting him. The same goes for other players, as if they do not want the ball at all. We have 3 players camping on the left, the same on the right, as if I'm watching a pinball game, while in midfield, whoever gets the ball feed it to the let or right side, no penetration from the middle while Cou is on the pitch. When we kept pumping the ball into our box with only 1 or 2 players, you know that the tactics is sh*t.

When we have almost 3/4 of of the team camped inside barcode's half and we couldn't hurt them a bit, you know our tactics are sh*t as well and sent a clear message to the opponents that .... "I can't hurt you a bit with my silly tactics, come and get me".

Has BR, over analyse and over experiment with his tactics to the extend of paralysing our performance. Honestly, i think he has. But the saddest thing is I've come to realize, Suarez was the one who did all the openings for the team last season, and without him BR simply doesn't know what to do now.

In the last 5 games or so BR tried to play possession football but toothless in front. I'd just say to BR, play to the players' strengths and tailor your tactics to suit them not the other way round.

We have a Cou and Stevie who who can pick up players inside the box, Sterling with pace and twists and turns inside and outside the box to create openings, Balo with his physical presence is enough to unsettle defenders, Lallana penetrating moves into the box and yet we couldn't hurt the opposition a bit is truly shocking, I just don't understand what BR is trying to proof with his tactics.

Combos!!!! Combos!!!!! Combos!!!! BR, abandon the unproductive possession football and work on the strengths of the players and not impose tactics upon them that they can't adapt.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #517: Nov 01, 2014 11:13:02 pm
      That was F***ing abysmal. There is no movement up front and why Rodgers persists with Mario alone, only he knows.

Mignolet - 7 - flapped on a couple of crosses in the first half but made some important saves in the second half. Distribution still poor.

Johnson - 5 - Looked so sluggish, conceded possession in dangerous positions at times, need Flanno back ASAP.
      Lovren - 6 - Did okay, passing was ordinary though.
      Skertel - 6 - Should have scored.
      Moreno - 5 - Wasn't helped by Johnson's (and defenses) backing off that led to the goal but ultimately served Newcastle a goal on a platter. Did nothing of note going forward either.

Allen - 6 - Offered nothing.
      Henderson - 6 - See Allen.
      Gerrard - 6 - Struggling to impact on games. Doesn't have the movement ahead of him to pick out the pass.

Sterling - 5 - Did nothing other than halt our own attacks - doesn't help there is no movement to work with.
      Mario - 5 - A static passenger.
      Coutinho - 6 - Nothing on for him in the final third, no runners from midfield, and a statistic striker to feed.

Rodgers got this badly wrong today, had we have changed our strikers around, or paired Mario from the start the team could have made more genuine chances to go ahead before an insipid Newcastle were gifted their goal.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #518: Nov 01, 2014 11:26:58 pm
      That was f**king abysmal. There is no movement up front and why Rodgers persists with Mario alone, only he knows.

Mignolet - 7 - flapped on a couple of crosses in the first half but made some important saves in the second half. Distribution still poor.

Johnson - 5 - Looked so sluggish, conceded possession in dangerous positions at times, need Flanno back ASAP.
      Lovren - 6 - Did okay, passing was ordinary though.
      Skertel - 6 - Should have scored.
      Moreno - 5 - Wasn't helped by Johnson's (and defenses) backing off that led to the goal but ultimately served Newcastle a goal on a platter. Did nothing of note going forward either.

Allen - 6 - Offered nothing.
      Henderson - 6 - See Allen.
      Gerrard - 6 - Struggling to impact on games. Doesn't have the movement ahead of him to pick out the pass.

Sterling - 5 - Did nothing other than halt our own attacks - doesn't help there is no movement to work with.
      Mario - 5 - A static passenger.
      Coutinho - 6 - Nothing on for him in the final third, no runners from midfield, and a statistic striker to feed.

Rodgers got this badly wrong today, had we have changed our strikers around, or paired Mario from the start the team could have made more genuine chances to go ahead before an insipid Newcastle were gifted their goal.

Pretty much spot on.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #519: Nov 01, 2014 11:32:05 pm
      Whats happened to Hendo too, he has gone back to this drivel of passing the ball backwards CONSTANTLY. Slowing play down and having no Guile. Almost cost us a 2nd goal after our corner by giving a sloppy 40 yard pass backwards whilst all our lads where in their box.... Seriously amateur hour sh*t.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #520: Nov 01, 2014 11:56:15 pm
      Whats happened to Hendo too, he has gone back to this drivel of passing the ball backwards CONSTANTLY. Slowing play down and having no Guile. Almost cost us a 2nd goal after our corner by giving a sloppy 40 yard pass backwards whilst all our lads where in their box.... Seriously amateur hour sh*t.

I agree. Hendo was our worst player on the pitch. Devoid of confidence and creativity. Didn't make a single forward pass it was painful.
      sabrina
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 95 posts |
      Reply #521: Nov 02, 2014 12:37:23 am
      Was at the game today, reluctant to blame balotelli for the issues we currently have, but I really thought he had a noticeable lack of movement compared to every other red man on the pitch. Watching him off the ball he looked lazy eg whilst every other player was running/jogging, he walked. He didn't get into promising positions, he looked slow and I really think we MUST abandon this current system of starting him up top alone.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #522: Nov 02, 2014 01:22:35 am
      My feelings about the game is what is the point of dominating possession if you want to knock the ball sidewards and backwards, thats what we did all game it was hard to take from players who last season hunted in packs to retrieve the ball and play a lot of one touch giving the opponents no time to organise themselves, where's it all gone.

I think BR is doing his best to sort it out because whatever you think even he has not been in such a situation before, he's also learning, I really hope he can turn it around because the last thing I want is another new guy to come in sell all brendans players and start again, the thought of that happening fills me with dread we are better than that has a club.

last season if nought else has bought him some time and whatever happens barring a relegation fight he deserves our backing for this season and next but one thing he needs is help and people at the club above him should make him see that this club is a family and not one mans fiefdom, whatever he thinks somehow he must get others around him who can work with him, challenge him even, as to why he thinks he can do it all with two others as been shown it is not working and somehow his stiff neck must be for turning otherwise this could go on all season.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #523: Nov 02, 2014 01:23:06 am
      Even after they scored I thought we played with a lack of any urgency, and were too slow in possession.  Team was not what I expected tbh - I understand the squad thing, but when you are generally not going that well then I think we need some consistency in team selection - players can "rest" later in the season.  It still completely baffles me that some professional footballers struggle to play twice a week - or has that become like the emperors new clothes.

Hendo has seemed to drop in performance from last year, but I think that has as more to do with the players around him than anything else - we lack that movement in the final third that was so damaging last year.

I would love to know the reason why we are persisting with one up front, when it is so obviously not working.  I am beginning to think that overall we would probably be in a better position had we not bought Mario.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #524: Nov 02, 2014 03:26:43 am
      Was at the game today, reluctant to blame balotelli for the issues we currently have, but I really thought he had a noticeable lack of movement compared to every other red man on the pitch. Watching him off the ball he looked lazy eg whilst every other player was running/jogging, he walked. He didn't get into promising positions, he looked slow and I really think we MUST abandon this current system of starting him up top alone.

I think that is our main problem going forward at the moment... no movement.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #525: Nov 02, 2014 06:28:06 am
      I think that is our main problem going forward at the moment... no movement.

Cant argue with that.  But also it isnt like the rest of the movement forward is too much better than balo.  Last year everyone moved, the play became fluid.  My dad who is a manure lover watched the game with me and because he doesnt watch alot of lfc games... he kept picking out the major differences of this team vs last. 

Our players confidence and self belief is shot... this translate to safe and easy plays... over thinking... slower runs if any.... basically they try to do things to miminize their chance of a F**k up.   Look at moreno today.. he is a ghost of a player compared to his speedy and assertive run/goal vs spurs.  Less than two months can destroy a player i guess. 

I do wonder what kind of training is BR doing.  Imo go back to basics.. build from there... too much complicated tactics when the team isnt playing full throtle results in subpar performances
      luckylane
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #526: Nov 02, 2014 09:44:30 am
      What I want to know is do we still have the same  psychologist working with the team because it's obvious to me that our laboured play ,lack of movement  stems from an utter lack of confidence. Anxious minds result in bad decisions , unwillingness to put your head above the parapet and take responsibility (Gerrard excluded).

They all need to remain tight as a unit now, get energy from each other and work incredibly hard in training etc to come through this difficult time. Brendan got to instigate this  by firstly not hanging players out to dry. Prime example - playing balo up front on his own. If you continue to do this he ISN'T going to gain confidence and his form certainly isn't going to improve! ROUND PEGS SQUARE HOLES. He can't play up front ON HIS OWN!

PLAY YOUR BEST TEAM CONSISTENTLY until we get out of this slump . It's common sense, no rhythm or confidence is gained by constantly changing the goal posts. Change the odd player or 2 once after we've had a run of form.

For me you need more than 1 leader on the pitch and although Toure can make mistakes he's vocal and can organise the back four.

My final thought is, BR stick to what you know. Inspire you players, but also know that you can't cover their arses all the time. Don't come out and spout crap to the media, life isn't all about the finding the positives when they're aren't any. Be honest with yourself and those around you!
      « Last Edit: Nov 02, 2014 10:24:42 am by luckylane »
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #527: Nov 02, 2014 10:11:18 am
      We are now playing in the CL and EPL. We have to play Real in 3 days. Roma just got beat easily by Napoli. Roma play Bayern in three days in the CL. We have to adjust to a new set of criteria one which BR has no experience. I think this will be great experience for BR and the staff and players.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #528: Nov 02, 2014 10:29:06 am
      Cant argue with that.  But also it isnt like the rest of the movement forward is too much better than balo.  Last year everyone moved, the play became fluid.  My dad who is a manure lover watched the game with me and because he doesnt watch alot of lfc games... he kept picking out the major differences of this team vs last. 

Our players confidence and self belief is shot... this translate to safe and easy plays... over thinking... slower runs if any.... basically they try to do things to miminize their chance of a f**k up.   Look at moreno today.. he is a ghost of a player compared to his speedy and assertive run/goal vs spurs.  Less than two months can destroy a player i guess.

I do wonder what kind of training is BR doing.  Imo go back to basics.. build from there... too much complicated tactics when the team isnt playing full throtle results in subpar performances

Agreed mate.

I think if Balo had someone to play alongside, or even try Borini & Lambert for example, in order to give the likes of Coutinho, Lallana and Sterling 'movement to hit' ahead of them, then the fluidity might come back quicker, thus the confidence grows over a period of time.

I honestly think playing Balo alone and persisting with it, is stifling the team and is dragging them down deeper and deeper into an abyss of footballing depression. The team look pedestrian and clueless and until something changes it's going to be hard to watch - yesterday case in point.

Quick Reply