Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Newcastle 1:0 Liverpool. In game & post game discussion.

Read 33335 times
      LFCexiled
      Re: Newcastle 1:0 Liverpool. In game & post game discussion.
      Reply #529: Nov 02, 2014 10:31:04 am
      The most depressing part of yesterday for me is after watching us I watched Stoke v West Ham and both of them teams played better football than us with a huge gap in desire.

Now that's depressing.

Have a nice day now, tata.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #530: Nov 02, 2014 10:39:31 am
      The most depressing part of yesterday for me is after watching us I watched Stoke v West Ham and both of them teams played better football than us with a huge gap in desire.

Now that's depressing.

Have a nice day now, tata.

even worse watching Downing create a goal and score one whats the world coming too.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #531: Nov 02, 2014 12:58:49 pm
      watched part of the game again (with really nervous mode)
       noticed that nearly every player in midfield and defence , Hendo-allen -johnson in particular first look when they get the ball is backwards or across,
       I think BR ideas are PLAY the ball from the back not KEEP the ball at the back, sometimes we played the ball 7/8/9/ and more between lovren-skrtel -johnson -mignolet , seems nobody wants the ball to play it forward, and when they are pressed they panic and often  lead to mistakes
      and this nearly in all the games we played in the last weeks
       Games are won with goals and not by haveing more possession

something in our style needs a change and fast

YNWA
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #532: Nov 02, 2014 12:59:58 pm
      Had to listen to this on the radio yesterday as I was driving.  Whilst it spared my eyes the vivid nature of the commentary allowed me to paint my own picture.  It's an easy picture to paint because it has been happening game after game after game this season.

12 points behind the leaders after a quarter of the season is ridiculous.  And to be honest, if we carry on playing the same formation and under performing players I have seen nothing to suggest that it won't be at least 24 points in another 10 games time.

There hasn't even been a marginal week on week improvement since the season started. 

I'd estimate we have about a 1% chance of getting a result in Madrid.  We should be looking forward to it but I fear it will be our last big European game for another x number of years.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #533: Nov 02, 2014 01:57:54 pm
      Had to listen to this on the radio yesterday as I was driving.  Whilst it spared my eyes the vivid nature of the commentary allowed me to paint my own picture.  It's an easy picture to paint because it has been happening game after game after game this season.

12 points behind the leaders after a quarter of the season is ridiculous.  And to be honest, if we carry on playing the same formation and under performing players I have seen nothing to suggest that it won't be at least 24 points in another 10 games time.

There hasn't even been a marginal week on week improvement since the season started. 

I'd estimate we have about a 1% chance of getting a result in Madrid.  We should be looking forward to it but I fear it will be our last big European game for another x number of years.

I doubt even your imagination can envision the shambles that we looked yesterday mate. Not only have we not improved but we have regressed. No confidence, no movement, everything seemingly played sideways or backwards for long periods.

If you remember back to when Brendan first came in and how sterile we played, then imagine that team without Suarez....and it would still have beaten the team we put out yesterday. 
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #534: Nov 02, 2014 04:36:32 pm
      That was one game in which we offered absolutely nothing in defense, midfield and attack. It was part Brendan getting the team wrong and part the team playing like a bunch of clueless shithouses. There wasn't a single outfield player who did anything positive. I mean think about this: We had 64 percent possession but only 6 shots. Newcastle had 14.

Our midfield in particular was overrun so easily it was embarrassing. Our attack was so toothless it was embarrassing. Our backline continued its weekly embarrassment.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #535: Nov 02, 2014 04:46:29 pm
      That was one game in which we offered absolutely nothing in defense, midfield and attack. It was part Brendan getting the team wrong and part the team playing like a bunch of clueless shithouses. There wasn't a single outfield player who did anything positive. I mean think about this: We had 64 percent possession but only 6 shots. Newcastle had 14.

Our midfield in particular was overrun so easily it was embarrassing. Our attack was so toothless it was embarrassing. Our backline continued its weekly embarrassment.

Didn't see the match, but saw some highlights last night on MOTD. Only 'chance' in first half seemed to be a Skyrtel header from a corner.
      On the plus side ...we got on the end of a set piece! :)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #536: Nov 02, 2014 06:24:48 pm
      Whats happened to Hendo too, he has gone back to this drivel of passing the ball backwards CONSTANTLY. Slowing play down and having no Guile. Almost cost us a 2nd goal after our corner by giving a sloppy 40 yard pass backwards whilst all our lads where in their box.... Seriously amateur hour sh*t.

Is he playing to orders and if he is someone needs to change those orders promptly.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #537: Nov 02, 2014 06:32:19 pm
      Very poor, Rodgers made mistake of not rewarding more of the guys who played well in the cup.

Borini should have started, lucas as well.

1st time I've really said anything negative to rodgers.

I personally have been wanting 3-5-2, but tahts so we can play someone up with Balo.

Oh well bring on the madrid. ;D.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #538: Nov 02, 2014 06:34:51 pm
      i'm just pure angry at that performance. tactics were badly wrong, team selection was terrible and the players looked out of ideas. why keep playing mario alone? either drop him or play two up front. why johnson? why allen? why the slow pace and no movement in the team? why is our defence still not bucked up their ideas. just angry. no knee jerk reaction, not calling for br to go or anything, that would be wrong, but he needs to get a grip. some of the poor results could easily have been avoided.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #539: Nov 02, 2014 07:22:57 pm
      The back four are a shambles and the midfield are limited because there is no movement in front of them.

Borini needs to start ahead of Balo. Don't think borini will ever have the quality to score 20+ goals a season but his work rate and movement will create space and chances for the midfield. He will force defenders into making mistakes too.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #540: Nov 02, 2014 09:02:58 pm
      Defended that goal like what you see on a football game on a playstation
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #541: Nov 02, 2014 09:14:39 pm
      Ok the dust has settled and most results went against us, but we still sit 7th and can turn this sh*t around. My only problem is whether we have the stones to do so.

Positives from Sat: The defense looked better against set pieces. Skrtel, Lovren, Gerrard and Balo appear to have been tasked with pure ball winners playing zonal and the rest are man marking. Skrtel for once wasnt trying to rape his opponent. I think moving forward this will be a much improved defense vs set pieces. Lets be honest it was like giving away a pen every time we conceded a set piece for a while there.

Thats not the only positive. We played more conservatively yes, but I think that was a conscious strategy. We looked like a well oiled unit that was winning comfortably and decided to close out a game. If we can do that when we are 2nil up then we should be ok. The goal we conceded AGAIN is easily ruled out. Thats a mistake that wont happen too often, yes its happening a lot, but the rub of the green is against us and confidence is down... once we get this sorted those mistakes will become less and less.

Negatives. Movement up top. Long 40 yard passes. No 50/50s. No Confidence. No pace of passing - hopefully strategic as I mentioned above.Can we remove these issues easily? I think so... when Sturridge comes back. Lets be honest, goals are all we need. Once they come the teams confidence will come back and pace will flow.

GOALS WIN GAMES.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #542: Nov 02, 2014 11:15:48 pm
      Ok the dust has settled and most results went against us, but we still sit 7th and can turn this sh*t around. My only problem is whether we have the stones to do so.

Positives from Sat: The defense looked better against set pieces. Skrtel, Lovren, Gerrard and Balo appear to have been tasked with pure ball winners playing zonal and the rest are man marking. Skrtel for once wasnt trying to rape his opponent. I think moving forward this will be a much improved defense vs set pieces. Lets be honest it was like giving away a pen every time we conceded a set piece for a while there.

Thats not the only positive. We played more conservatively yes, but I think that was a conscious strategy. We looked like a well oiled unit that was winning comfortably and decided to close out a game. If we can do that when we are 2nil up then we should be ok. The goal we conceded AGAIN is easily ruled out. Thats a mistake that wont happen too often, yes its happening a lot, but the rub of the green is against us and confidence is down... once we get this sorted those mistakes will become less and less.

Negatives. Movement up top. Long 40 yard passes. No 50/50s. No Confidence. No pace of passing - hopefully strategic as I mentioned above.Can we remove these issues easily? I think so... when Sturridge comes back. Lets be honest, goals are all we need. Once they come the teams confidence will come back and pace will flow.

GOALS WIN GAMES.

Well oiled machine?? are you being serious, there were so many misplaced passes I thought I was watching a Sunday pub team at times. There seemed to be no cohesive tactics at all, even if there was one I suspect every team so far has already figured out how to easily defend against it.
      Simple fix drop Balotelli and drop Gerrard, come on Brendan be a F***ing man and do it, prove you are the manager and grow a pair.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #543: Nov 02, 2014 11:16:26 pm

GOALS WIN GAMES.

I like your optimism.. I really do. but imo the defense played like crap. don't forget glen Johnson saved a goal with a diving header off a set piece when the rest of the team was ball watching. yes our king of ball watching was the one with the fastest reaction.  we were still super weak on set pieces... and more than one occasion, we got burned on our flanks.  Newcastle really didn't press us too hard... we did have most of the possession remember?  spent it passing backwards.

we had no rythmn, no movement, no creativity,... really no idea what to do with the ball.   we have forgotten how to put the ball into the net.

only positive really is that we were at Newcastle not anfield so we still have that game in mind... and that manutd also lost over the weekend.  I love this team as much as all of you and usually very optimistic about us but it is starting to feel like the first 5 months of BR's reign again.  however this time, BR really doesn't have a plan or goal in mind.    his interviews are increasingly worrisome. no more talk about what he wants to achieve.. just one generic excuse after another.  not good

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #544: Nov 02, 2014 11:47:28 pm
      Hadn't spotted it on the first set of highlights but just saw Mignolet's attempt to come for a corner when Johnson cleared off the line - comical.  Even that break they had he dived the wrong way (luckily got it with his feet though).

Also - what was Gerrard doing for their goal? And as for Moreno - a couple of bad balls-ups.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #545: Nov 03, 2014 05:57:52 am
      Hadn't spotted it on the first set of highlights but just saw Mignolet's attempt to come for a corner when Johnson cleared off the line - comical.  Even that break they had he dived the wrong way (luckily got it with his feet though).

Also - what was Gerrard doing for their goal? And as for Moreno - a couple of bad balls-ups.

Haven't made myself re watch it, that moment when migs came out for the ball looked mad when I first saw it, so two other weird moments happened? It's becoming a regular occurrence.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #546: Nov 03, 2014 06:45:21 am
      Seems we desperately need, to sign a back up keeper, as well as sort out the defence, before the side go further downhill.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #547: Nov 03, 2014 06:50:33 am

I suppose we were lucky that Johnson had strayed from his usual position and was standing on the goal line. I don't know if that was by accident or design but his header saved a certain Newcastle goal.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #548: Nov 03, 2014 07:21:31 am
      I suppose we were lucky that Johnson had strayed from his usual position and was standing on the goal line. I don't know if that was by accident or design but his header saved a certain Newcastle goal.

When johnson did that stop on the line- great, out of curiosity which game recently did a similar thing happen where he didn't clear it off the line?
      Was it the Real Madrid game? I'd usually use a search engine for this but it might throw up a thousand unrelated things.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #549: Nov 03, 2014 08:55:30 am
      Johnson is a liability

Ameobi walks passed him then he's out of position 20 secs later

Absolutely incredible. But this is Johnson all over. His defending has always been questionable. Ameobi took the p**s out of him....Ameobi FFS.

Then later on he, tried to turn inside with the ball and lost possession. He has no clue how to defend and contributes very little going forward.

For me, GJ is one very weak link in the side who's time is up.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #550: Nov 03, 2014 09:01:43 am
      When johnson did that stop on the line- great, out of curiosity which game recently did a similar thing happen where he didn't clear it off the line?
      Was it the Real Madrid game? I'd usually use a search engine for this but it might throw up a thousand unrelated things.

It was a fantastic clearance, but the good is far outweighed by his inability to stop a cross coming in and his bad positioning. If Sami Ameobi can do that to him, then BR surely has to seriously consider whether his time is up. Simply not good enough.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #551: Nov 03, 2014 09:25:32 am
      I like your optimism.. I really do. but imo the defense played like crap. don't forget glen Johnson saved a goal with a diving header off a set piece when the rest of the team was ball watching. yes our king of ball watching was the one with the fastest reaction.  we were still super weak on set pieces... and more than one occasion, we got burned on our flanks.  Newcastle really didn't press us too hard... we did have most of the possession remember?  spent it passing backwards.

we had no rythmn, no movement, no creativity,... really no idea what to do with the ball.   we have forgotten how to put the ball into the net.

only positive really is that we were at Newcastle not anfield so we still have that game in mind... and that manutd also lost over the weekend.  I love this team as much as all of you and usually very optimistic about us but it is starting to feel like the first 5 months of BR's reign again.  however this time, BR really doesn't have a plan or goal in mind.    his interviews are increasingly worrisome. no more talk about what he wants to achieve.. just one generic excuse after another.  not good

Great post mate.

I watch game after game and hope that we will finally get to grips and move on, but you are dead right, things are not good.

We have no idea what to do with the ball. When we do attempt to go forward the move breaks down all too often because of a poor pass, poor first touch, the inability to control the ball and so the ball goes back and we pass it from side to side and end up contributing to our own mess.

Steven Gerrard has no impact in the position he currently plays and but it's clear that BR builds the team around him. If he is going to play SG regardless, then he would be better used for 60 minutes in a game playing further forward. He scored 13 league goals last season and he still has that in him.

Defensively, we are awful. Johnson and Skrtl just don't cut it and are responsible for so many of the goals we have conceded. We don't have a leader at the back, which asks the question about Mignolets apparent loss of confidence this season.

Quick Reply