Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Newcastle 1:0 Liverpool. In game & post game discussion.

Read 33339 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Newcastle 1:0 Liverpool. In game & post game discussion.
      Nov 01, 2014 11:44:00 am
      MATCH REPORT: http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/match-reports/premiership/2014/newcastle-1-0-liverpool-lfc-persevering-mediocrity/

Starting XI: Mignolet, Johnson, Lovren, Skrtel, Moreno, Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling, Balotelli

Subs: Jones, Toure, Manquillo, Lallana, Can, Lambert, Borini.

Philippe Coutinho is in Liverpool's team for this afternoon's clash against Newcastle United as the Brazilian makes his first Barclays Premier League start in almost a month.

The playmaker last began a game in the league when West Bromwich Albion were downed 2-1 at Anfield on October 4. He then dropped to the bench for the games against Queens Park Rangers and Hull City.

Against Swansea City in the League Cup fourth round earlier this week, Coutinho was the Reds' best player as he probed for openings and dazzled with nimble footwork, earning him a place in the XI at St James' Park this afternoon.

Rodgers makes six changes to the side he sent out during the dramatic fightback against the Swans.

At the back, Glen Johnson and Lovren remain in the line-up as the manager switches Simon Mignolet, Alberto Moreno and Martin Skrtel in for Brad Jones, Javier Manquillo and Kolo Toure.

Vice-captain Jordan Henderson and Coutinho stay in midfield, where they are joined by the returning Steven Gerrard, Joe Allen and Raheem Sterling.

Midweek saw the manager start with the dual threat of Fabio Borini and Rickie Lambert; however, the pair begin today's game on the substitutes' bench as Mario Balotelli returns to lead the line against Alan Pardew's in-form outfit.
      « Last Edit: Nov 02, 2014 11:48:40 pm by JD »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: Live: Newcastle V Liverpool
      Reply #1: Nov 01, 2014 11:46:42 am
      Phil deserves to be in but still surprised Johnson gets the nod.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2: Nov 01, 2014 11:47:36 am
      Who needs an insane player like Suarez when we have an insane manager, expecting different results whilst playing exactly the same system week in week out. FFS Brendan play 2 strikers!!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #3: Nov 01, 2014 11:49:22 am
      Who needs an insane player like Suarez when we have an insane manager, expecting different results whilst playing exactly the same system week in week out. FFS Brendan play 2 strikers!!!

Two strikers doesn't guarantee more goals.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #4: Nov 01, 2014 11:50:00 am

Bet you didn't mind in his first season from January onwards when we benefited from his system.

Muppet.

Annoyed to see Allen in this game. Don't really see what he offers this team. Hope he scores anyway though to shut me up.

Good luck fellas. Get the three points.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #5: Nov 01, 2014 11:51:16 am
      Pretty baffled as to how Allen has kept a place in that team ,thought he was fckin dire last week to be honest ,pay all that money for Lallana and he on the bench ,not getting his team selections at the moment, ,hey ho come on you reds .
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #6: Nov 01, 2014 11:51:19 am
      Gonna be a bit grim if that's Balo up top on his own, hopefully Sterling is right up there with him and Coutinho has a free role in behind.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #7: Nov 01, 2014 11:51:50 am

Nor does one when you refuse to play to his strengths. It's not about one or two or three strikers, it's about who we're playing and continuing to play a system that is failing to get the best out of who you have on the field.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8: Nov 01, 2014 11:52:53 am
      I would have liked Lallana to get a game (not sure instead of whom)and like most would have preferred two strikers. Still think we have more than enough to see off Newcastle. Not really expecting a great game in all honesty, I don't think we have enough confidence for that, but a clean sheet and a win will suffice today.

2-0 Gerrard and Sterling.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9: Nov 01, 2014 11:53:20 am
      Once again I find myself disappointed with the line up. Johnson and Allen shouldn't be starting and the best Balo has looked has been when borini has played, borini had a good game in the week and then finds himself dropped straight away. Good to see Coutinho starting but I would have gone with Can instead of Allen. Never any consistency the way that players perform well and then find themselves straight back on the bench.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #10: Nov 01, 2014 11:56:36 am
      BR ignoring the football world and playing Ballo on his own up front. F**k me he better be right, otherwise I feel the knives will be out.

Markovic not even on the bench (thank F**k). What a buy that was....F**k me.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #11: Nov 01, 2014 11:56:49 am

Well Balotelli up front on his own guarantees no goals, have we not had enough games to prove that point already. This is bad management pure and simple, Borini linked up well with Balotelli mid week, plus Lucas had a good game so net result, revert to play favourite player Allen, who only Brendan sees any potential in, and same formation as always, the same formation which has been so crap so far. I'm not feeling confident at all, lets just hope that Newcastle revert to playing crap again, its the only chance we'll have.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #12: Nov 01, 2014 11:57:24 am
      At least im not on my own with the Allen conundrum just can,t see how he keeps a place in that team ,perhaps i have it wrong but i dreaded his name being on the sheet hate feeling like that about a liverpool player ,but he just dont do it .
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #13: Nov 01, 2014 11:59:10 am
      Borini on the bench! Not sure about that al all. Arguably MOTM on Tuesday to bench warmer on Saturday. I'd well pissed off, or what ever the Italian is for that.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #14: Nov 01, 2014 12:01:26 pm
      Lallana legs vital away from home . Coutinho ?? Depends which one turns up need people who are willing to track back. People surprised Johnson starts ? Why it is clear manquillo is a poor so what choice with flanno out
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #15: Nov 01, 2014 12:01:28 pm
      Brendan said he's changed his system slightly and I noticed that midweek Borini was playing much higher up than Markovic, I'd imagine Sterling will be a lot closer to Balotelli than usual.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #16: Nov 01, 2014 12:02:24 pm
      Here we are Puppy

incazzato Borini.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #17: Nov 01, 2014 12:08:28 pm
      About to leave work, 14 minute drive home, smoke a quick J (routine), then just be ready for KO.

I normally have no fear, home or away playing this Mob but how's our luck? They hit a purple patch of form just in time for us!!!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #18: Nov 01, 2014 12:11:57 pm
      I always believe in Rodgers and he sees the training not us so go for it :) YNWA
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #19: Nov 01, 2014 12:12:16 pm
      Brendan said he's changed his system slightly and I noticed that midweek Borini was playing much higher up than Markovic, I'd imagine Sterling will be a lot closer to Balotelli than usual.

Exactly and the late goals were the reward for the adjustment.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #20: Nov 01, 2014 12:16:45 pm
      Look for a link for the game. Feel confident about this one.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #21: Nov 01, 2014 12:17:53 pm
      Surprised Johnson is starting still goin for a 3-0 to the Reds
      Ynwa
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #22: Nov 01, 2014 12:18:46 pm
      Not into the line up, not only because of this; Borini has a great game and is dropped the next? That's not how it should work as far as I'm concerned, you play well; you keep your place.
      Just sick of Mario being a lone striker, it's sh*t and I don't even expect it to suddenly work today, that's worrying because I usually think oh it'll work today.
      Any goals will have to come from Sterling, Coutinho or a penalty.

Last season we had at least Suarez and Sturridge playing now we haven't got the level of finishing of Sturridge but we still only play one striker too?

Quick Reply