Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Newcastle 1:0 Liverpool. In game & post game discussion.

Read 34779 times
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Re: Live: Newcastle V Liverpool
      Reply #414: Nov 01, 2014 03:15:30 pm
      Liverpool were so boring, I believe the Newcastle players  started a Mexican wave on the pitch.

We seem to have reverted to the the tactics of the season before last, passing across the back three . I lost count of the number of times the ball was passed between Johnson, Skrtel and Lovren and back across, and back across yet again. .(if this is not the tactics the manager wants then he wants kicking for letting it happen.) We lacked penetration. Why Rogers plays Joe Allen leaves me stumped, and why he didn't play Llalana beats me.
      As for Balotelli, if his shorts were on fire, he wouldn't move.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #415: Nov 01, 2014 03:15:31 pm

No chance mate. We need to be truthful with ourselves.... Couldnt be a worse time to play two teams of that ilk....
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #416: Nov 01, 2014 03:16:01 pm
      I dont understand why we have stopped passing fast, pressing high and where has our movement gone? Its just like a new manager came in forget about new players... why cant they do what he wanted them to do last season...

Or has he asked them to do something different?????? Why would he.

I don't blame the players, I blame the manager, I feel he is making the wrong choices.

I believe there is no chemistry between Balo and Coutinho, they simply can't play together, then you have to question the midfield, our passing is lethargic because we're too afraid to play the ball into tight spaces, and quite frankly, the only players that are comfortable with the ball at their feet in tight spaces are Coutinho and Sterling(maybe Lucas too).

With Sterling out wide (more or less as a winger), he has very little influence, can not even participate in our passing game and offers very little creativity and spark. The only reason he plays out wide is clearly for Balo.

I just feel everything is wrong in how we're setup in attack and midfield and despite our defensive troubles, I am more worried about our attack and midfield.
      Opravdu
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 80 posts |
      Reply #417: Nov 01, 2014 03:16:40 pm
      I'm not buying all that about how much we spent and money at the moment..Fact is that most of the other teams (of any league!) are doing much better than us just in term of efforts and that cost sod all. Rush make a good point above about " man to man, not being good enough".

Clearly a leadership problem here, someone needs to kick this lot in the butt sooner than later.

redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #418: Nov 01, 2014 03:18:19 pm
      Show some respect for the manager of mighty Liverpool, you sh*te. BR is the best football strategist in the Premier League, and we are lucky to have him in charge. Remember, he single-handedly took us to 2d place and almost to the title last season. If it wasn't for that w**ker Suárez, if it wasn't for the points we lost because of his sh*tty play, we would have won the League easily. It'll be different now. Now that the little greaser is gone (good riddance) BR can finally show his true masterful managing skills, and we will win the title this season for sure.

Young man, show some respect for your fellow supporters, you don't start your post by calling someone a sh*te. Understand? Are you in anyway related to BR, or are you in anyway paid by some agents to do what you have been asked to. Your post sounded so unnatural. Goodness.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #419: Nov 01, 2014 03:19:18 pm
      Clearly a leadership problem here, someone needs to kick this lot in the butt sooner than later.

Rodgers needs to step it up, not Gerrard or the players, It's clearly the tactics. It's been like this the whole season, there is no cohesion at all.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #420: Nov 01, 2014 03:19:18 pm
      so can we kiss the league good bye already....sadly Yes. Can we kiss good by CL football next season, as it stands we will be lucky to get top 8.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,628 posts | 1518 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #421: Nov 01, 2014 03:19:40 pm
      Young man, show some respect for your fellow supporters, you don't start your post by calling someone a sh*te. Understand? Are you in anyway related to BR, or are you in anyway paid by some agents to do what you have been asked to. Your post sounded so unnatural. Goodness.
      I don't think that was a serious post....
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #422: Nov 01, 2014 03:20:42 pm
      Show some respect for the manager of mighty Liverpool, you sh*te. BR is the best football strategist in the Premier League, and we are lucky to have him in charge. Remember, he single-handedly took us to 2d place and almost to the title last season. If it wasn't for that w**ker Suárez, if it wasn't for the points we lost because of his sh*tty play, we would have won the League easily. It'll be different now. Now that the little greaser is gone (good riddance) BR can finally show his true masterful managing skills, and we will win the title this season for sure.

Haha, f**k off you tw*t.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #423: Nov 01, 2014 03:21:17 pm
      Last season we played 130% of our ability... This season we are playing 75%. This is the difference.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #424: Nov 01, 2014 03:21:50 pm
      Well that was a rather uninspired "performance" to say the least. No effort from anyone in the first hour of the game. How the f**k is that even possible? Once again, selection was questionable. Mario getting no service whatsoever. Even crosses from the wings would be something. I think this is down to Brendans unwavering rigidity of ball to feet always. There is no backup plan. Just hope the second half of the season picks up....

If we play anywhere like that against Chavs next week, it'll be embarrassing...
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,628 posts | 1518 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #425: Nov 01, 2014 03:21:56 pm
      Last season we played 130% of our ability... This season we are playing 75%. This is the difference.
      75%!? I would do anything for 75% of them right now, close to 30%...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #426: Nov 01, 2014 03:23:21 pm
      We're a bit sh*te aren't we.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #427: Nov 01, 2014 03:23:35 pm
      75%!? I would do anything for 75% of them right now, close to 30%...

Ha I feel like crying.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #428: Nov 01, 2014 03:25:32 pm
      I'm not buying that mate.  We certainly have our average performers, but we also have some damn good players who are many levels above anything that Newcastle or Hull City have.  Coutinho, Sterling, Studge, Sakho, Gerrard, and Balotelli are all top level players.  Lovren, Lallana, and Lambert were all brilliant last season with Southampton.  And I saw Can play for Leverkusen and Markovic for Benfica -- these two are damn good players!!  BR just has us playing sh*te at the moment.  His persistence with playing Balotelli in a formation and system that doesn't suit him is just ignorance!!  He has us being too patient in possession, and it's almost as if he expects that if we keep the ball long enough that the other team will just give up.  BR has no answer for teams who sit men behind the ball and play on the counter.  We certainly have the players to beat these teams, but right now we lack a manager with the tactical nous (or perhaps its just an unwillingness to change) to do so....
      That's my point; perhaps damn good players or top level players are not good enough for where we want to be

Balotelli, Sterling, Gerrard, Hendo, Studge, Coutinho, Lovren, Sakho? Gerrard is the only world class player there. Studge might be but it's a bit early to call him world class just yet.

Let's try world class players like Aguero, Hazard, Costa, Suarez, Fabregas, Di Maria, Da Silva, Sanchez, Courtois, Matic. That to me is top level

Sure we have players good enough to beat Newcastle Utd, but that means very little over 38 games.

Not having a pop, I am just saying perhaps we all need to be honest in what we consider world class and raise the bar for LFC

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #429: Nov 01, 2014 03:25:33 pm
      Just finished watching the game (started late).

Not much positive to take...thought we were going to at least keep a clean sheet but we cocked that up as always.

Don't know if there's any use slagging off any players at this point...think I could easily name 6 or 7 that just aren't playing good enough to be wearing our shirt right now. There is no single failure point as far as the men on the field....the product we have now is just not good. Effort, heart, whatever you want to call it is lacking. There is no urgency. Very disappointing.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #430: Nov 01, 2014 03:29:47 pm
      Sh*te again, no urgency going forward, very naive system set up by Rodgers, pretty worrying that its taken him 10 games or so and still doesn't realise that Balotelli cant play alone.

No players seemed hungry for it, not enough movement, nobody willing to take on their man, not enough pace.

Mignolet-6 (Good save to stop it going 2-0 but shaky on a few corners)
      Johnson-5.5 (Pretty lacklustre, got forward abit but didn't do much with the ball)
      Skrtel-5
      Lovren-5
      Moreno-5.5
      Gerrard-6
      Henderson-5
      Allen-5
      Coutinho-5
      Sterling-5.5
      Balotelli-5.5
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #431: Nov 01, 2014 03:29:55 pm
      Just finished watching the game (started late).

Not much positive to take...thought we were going to at least keep a clean sheet but we cocked that up as always.

Don't know if there's any use slagging off any players at this point...think I could easily name 6 or 7 that just aren't playing good enough to be wearing our shirt right now. There is no single failure point as far as the men on the field....the product we have now is just not good. Effort, heart, whatever you want to call it is lacking. There is no urgency. Very disappointing.

what you describe is a team not playing for the manager. Whether you agree or not those are the very symptoms that get managers sacked.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #432: Nov 01, 2014 03:32:52 pm

I don't think Brendan should be allowed to post on here so soon after a defeat.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #433: Nov 01, 2014 03:33:13 pm
      My personal lowest point in quite some time. We did not even look like a threat.

Hendo as poor as I've seen him in a long time. Allen weak and hesitant. Sterling needs a rest. Mario trying, but not getting there. Lovren awful. Glen poor. Moreno a bombscare in 2nd half. Migs.......well just Migs, simply not good enough.

Only Gerrard and Coutinho get anything resembling a pass mark for me.

Very worrying.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #434: Nov 01, 2014 03:36:22 pm
      what you describe is a team not playing for the manager. Whether you agree or not those are the very symptoms that get managers sacked.

Brendan's not going to get sacked...and as much as he is to blame for our current run of form, I think it's a very dangerous (and damaging) game to play piling on the manager and talking about sacking him. I want him to succeed just like I want every one of the men wearing a red shirt to succeed, that doesn't mean I won't be critical of their efforts, but there seems to be an undercurrent of support building to the idea that Brendan either is or needs to be on the way out...I think that's disgraceful for anyone to engage in any way in the type of comments or posts that encourage that.

carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #435: Nov 01, 2014 03:37:49 pm
      Please tell me Brendan didn't say anything positive about that sh*t we just witnessed in his post match press conference?

Brendan Rodgers: "It was a game we had almost full control of...but we were punished for a mistake, that's what cost us"

in control ? Yes  of the ball in our own half passing the ball between lovren-skrtel-johnson Mignolet and back

in control when you have only ONE chance in a game  skrtel from a corner 1st half (and anotrher with coutinho with a header , and it was given offside)
       can't recall any other chances apart from 2 freekicks , our corners were all won by Collocini

really gutted, not exactly with the defeat (which was meritable , seeing our performance), but with the lack of passion given by most of the players, it seemed as if they took it slowly , not to get injured to play at the bernabeu

YNWA
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,759 posts | 259 
      Reply #436: Nov 01, 2014 03:38:59 pm
      I'm not buying that mate.  We certainly have our average performers, but we also have some damn good players who are many levels above anything that Newcastle or Hull City have.  Coutinho, Sterling, Studge, Sakho, Gerrard, and Balotelli are all top level players.  Lovren, Lallana, and Lambert were all brilliant last season with Southampton.  And I saw Can play for Leverkusen and Markovic for Benfica -- these two are damn good players!!  BR just has us playing sh*te at the moment.  His persistence with playing Balotelli in a formation and system that doesn't suit him is just ignorance!!  He has us being too patient in possession, and it's almost as if he expects that if we keep the ball long enough that the other team will just give up.  BR has no answer for teams who sit men behind the ball and play on the counter.  We certainly have the players to beat these teams, but right now we lack a manager with the tactical nous (or perhaps its just an unwillingness to change) to do so....

^ This.

The manager is unwilling to change even though the same tactics haven't worked for past 7/8 games.
      He doesn't seem trust his own buys which are at £20-25 million.
      He doesn't want Lambert to play (he may be sh*te) but he has not been given a fair chance.
      He keeps picking Balotelli when he can't buy a goal.
      He keeps playing Balotelli on his own which Balotelli, BR himself and most of us here have said that it doesn't work.

He HAS to change his tactics. Do something different for last 20 minutes of the game if you are losing or drawing.
      He has to play Sterling in the middle not out right wing.

It seems Suarez has pissed of to Spain with BR tactics, confidence, pace and energy of the LFC players.

The gaffer has to do better otherwise more and more pressure on him.
      Also, at this rate we will not get into top 4 and then it get more difficult to get into next season.

Quick Reply