Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

January transfer window

Read 44317 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: January transfer window
      Reply #46: Nov 03, 2014 12:39:26 pm
      *yawn*, wake me up in the last 2 weeks of December please.  Thanks.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #47: Nov 03, 2014 12:45:02 pm
      DM/MF - Morgan Schneiderlin, Yohan Cabaye, Marcelo Brozovic or William Carvalho

ST/CF - Wissam Ben Yeder, Alexandre Lacazette or Paco Alcacer

And a cheeky £5m punt on Yevhen Konoplyanka (or Xherdan Shaqiri if that is at all possible)

And if we are looking at bringing in yet another centre-back, we cannot do too wrong with Celtic's Virgil Van Dijk who will be a massive player in a few years time
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #48: Nov 03, 2014 12:56:52 pm
      We need players for now, not five years down the line.
      Otherwise ditch the F***ing youth system altogether.

Ilori.
      Suso.
      Teixeira.

Arguably better for us to have them in the squad than to have spent
      40+ million on Markovic and Lovren.

Money that would fill the gaping hole that is a World Class Striker.

Oh, and SIGN A F***ing KEEPER.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #49: Nov 03, 2014 01:13:40 pm
      Otherwise ditch the f**king youth system altogether.

Ilori.
      Suso.
      Teixeira.

I agree entirely. I wanted the club to give a chance to Sebastian Coates or Tiago Ilori rather than go out and buy Dejan Lovren (I was happy to see how the Skrtel/Sakho partnership developed).

I also thought it was a mistake to let Teixeira go after his game-changing match against Fulham last season and there was no need to go out and splash £20m on Lazar Markovic (who I said at the time we signed him he would struggle) when we have Jordon Ibe and Suso on our books. If we deemed them too young, why did we not go back in for Yevhen Konoplyanka who was being touted as being available for around £10m?

As for a keeper, it would be nice. Victor Valdes or Norberto Neto are two possibilities as is Guillermo Ochoa.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #50: Nov 03, 2014 02:24:55 pm
      Otherwise ditch the F***ing youth system altogether.

Ilori.
      Suso.
      Teixeira.

This all day.

The economics are crazier than the supposed reasoning of what you point out mate.
      Why were Suso, Teixeira and Ilori loaned out?
      The deal says that they cannot be recalled until the loan deal expires I imagine, the only reason for such a decision could be nothing else but lowering the payroll.
      Proven talent was loaned out to accommodate ''potential'' with all the uncertainty that entails.
      Maybe the manager made the decision but sure as eggs is eggs he received direction from those conducting the finances.
      Such a direction might go along the lines of= 'the squad needs pruning Brendan and the wage demands on the club lowered, who goes, stays or is loaned out is your decision but a monthly wage figure of X pounds is all you will receive, if you cannot achieve the requirement somebody will be appointed who will make it fit'.
      The pounds, shillings and pence of the transactions are not particularly inspiring and with the new signings off put by a saving in wages x 3 a break even situation could evolve.

It does however give the illusion of progress. 
      « Last Edit: Nov 03, 2014 02:54:35 pm by stuey »
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #51: Nov 03, 2014 07:37:45 pm
      Cavani or Higuain would be mouth-watering options - but Wilfried Bony who isn't cup-tied (if we don't get kicked out of the CL by Jan!) would serve us well... maybe
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #52: Nov 03, 2014 08:16:42 pm
      Pogba, problem solved.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #53: Nov 03, 2014 08:36:50 pm
      I hate this window. Cant see us signing anyone of significance unless we a) get to last 16 and drastically improve our form and/or b) shell out a serious amount of cash on some talent.

The only two players who have had an immediate impact in our last 4 transfers windows have been Coutinho and Studge. Thats horrendous. We have enough prospects, more than too many. Now is the time to go big or go home.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #54: Nov 03, 2014 08:37:20 pm

I think the problem is we cant sign the likes of Pogba.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #55: Nov 03, 2014 08:39:38 pm
      Half decent keeper wouldn't go a miss
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #56: Nov 03, 2014 08:42:52 pm
      Cavani or Higuain would be mouth-watering options - but Wilfried Bony who isn't cup-tied (if we don't get kicked out of the CL by Jan!) would serve us well... maybe

F**k the likes of Bony. Jesus christ has NOBODY learnt from our mistakes. We constantly go after sub par players who look good/great from time to time... World class players are being bought by our competitors. Not good players.

Remy
      Lambert
      Carroll
      Borini
      Bony
      Cisse
      Heskey
      Crouch
      Agbonlahor

All fall into the same bracket and we have constantly been linked with players of that "good", had a great season once or twice bracket. Sick of the sh*te we are linked with. We are liverpool for F**k sake.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #57: Nov 03, 2014 08:45:36 pm
      I think the problem is we cant sign the likes of Pogba.

Course we can

He just missed the dots

P.O.G.B.A

Profit.Or.Greed.Before.A nything

;D

LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #58: Nov 03, 2014 08:51:33 pm
      Course we can

He just missed the dots

P.O.G.B.A

Profit.Or.Greed.Before.A nything

;D

Haha
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #59: Nov 03, 2014 09:20:04 pm
      Looking at Rodgers record if you were Fenway would you give Rodgers any money in
      January 

He must not be given any money to waste. He is worrying me now. We have no idea whatsoever.

harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #60: Nov 03, 2014 09:46:15 pm
      Otherwise ditch the f**king youth system altogether.

Ilori.
      Suso.
      Teixeira.

I don't disagree, but there are two other parts to the problem.

1. If we never splashed money on any of "the next big thing" signings, then the fans would groan about us never taking a chance. Aguero and Jovetic are two that spring to mind that Rafa wanted and could have had for a pittance compared to their value now. The ideal scenario is that these players turn into the next Bale or Ronaldo. Unfortunately, we seem to only be unearthing more Ryan Babel's at the moment....

2. Do world class players really want to come to LFC? We may have been able to sign Falcao this summer, but he would have been a huge gamble as he was coming off a serious knee injury. Also, one league goal so far hardly justifies the hype.... We never had a prayer at signing Lewandowski. Perhaps we could have signed Costa, but you get the feeling he was always going to Chelsea. Unless we adopt the Man City model and throw ridiculous wages at a few top players to get them here then I can't see us really competing for the elite players until we have reestablished ourselves as genuine title contenders year-in, year-out.

It's either spend crazy money on wages for world class players, or invest in young talent and attempt to nurture them into the world class players. We seem to be taking the latter approach, and getting mixed results....
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #61: Nov 04, 2014 10:25:58 am
      We don't have to get world class players though. That's the thing.

I would have been happy with players the ilk of Jackson Martinez or Alexandre Lacazette as an attacking replacement for Suarez in the summer. Likewise, our defence could have been boosted with Nathaniel Clyne, Toby Alderweireld and Ben Davies for not much money too. As competition for Simon Mignolet, we could have spent not much money on Guillermo Ochoa, David Ospina, Keylor Navas or even Michel Vorm. As for a wide player, why were we not back in for Yevhen Konoplyanka (a player who we scouted and rated enough to sign him in January for £18m and would have been worth far less in the summer). Instead we decided to spend £20m on a far inferior player in Lazar Markovic who I said at the time had an awful first touch and was extremely raw to be spending a large sum of money on.

All players who would have been obtainable for not much money and far better than the crap we ended up with.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #62: Nov 10, 2014 12:45:32 pm
      Back to this thread, I'd like to see the team now built around a handful of players including Can, Coutinho, Sterling, and Sturridge. Think we have two real problem areas - defensive midfield and attack. Steven Gerrard needs to now be a bit part player at the club. I seriously think he undermines our defense which in turn undermines our goalkeeper. It's a chain reaction.

People say you build from the back. Not necessarily true. In my opinion, a strong, solid yet creative midfield is as important as things can get. The midfield protects the defense yet supports the attack.

Lucas Leiva, Steven Gerrard, Emre Can, Jordan Henderson, Joe Allen, Philippe Coutinho, and Suso are our current first team central midfielders. In terms of someone who can dictate and boss the midfield, not one name sticks out to me here. IMO, a real commanding central midfielder is needed. Someone like Matic. I'm sure there are top central midfielders available. What about Sami Khederia? He is a player who needs his playing career reviving. That's something we have done well as a club - revived players careers in Coutinho and Sturridge. We can do it again.

In attack we cannot solely rely on Daniel Sturridge to get the goals. More goals has to come from our attacking midfielders in Coutinho, Sterling, Markovic and Lallana but why they are not scoring is beyond me. If I were to get in another attacking midfielder, it'll be Marco Reus. No explanation needed.

As far as strikers are concerned, I have been appalled by Balotelli's attitude at this club. Clearly the guy doesn't give a sh*t. I'd be looking to offload him by next summer at the very latest. He is everything a Liverpool player should not be - lazy. Rickie Lambert has unfortunately seen his best days pass by him. He has got to go next summer.

So what I'd like to do this January?

Loan out Lazar Markovic to anyone who'll give him regular playing time. Clearly needs to strengthen and adapt to the rigors of the PL. It would be ideal if someone like Sunderland could sign him for the remaining half of the season.

Sign Sami Khederia. He showed for Germany last summer that he's still a top top player. His fee would be ridiculously low, but his wages ridiculously high. Surely the wage offsets the transfer fee, so let's go for him.

Sign Marco Reus. Dortmund are in a worse position than us right now. They are in no position to keep their best players and it's not everyday that you'll see players of this caliber become available. Here is our opportunity to grab a Dortmund player or two.

Persevere with Sturridge as our only hope. Strikers are incredibly difficult to sign. I'd rather us be hopeful on keeping Sturridge fit, recall Ibe from loan and put some faith into Borini rather than splash another £20m on someone like Bony.

fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #63: Nov 10, 2014 12:57:39 pm

He's a beast, him and Can in the midfield would worry every team, guaranteed.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,335 posts | 2836 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #64: Nov 10, 2014 01:00:26 pm
      I've never seen Khedira as a world class midfielder but he's obviously very good and would definitely be a great addition to our team. Very dynamic which is important for the way we play.

Not sure about his wages though, potentially it could be a problem if it disrupts the team's wage structure.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #65: Nov 10, 2014 01:01:13 pm
      Back to this thread, I'd like to see the team now built around a handful of players including Can, Coutinho, Sterling, and Sturridge. Think we have two real problem areas - defensive midfield and attack. Steven Gerrard needs to now be a bit part player at the club. I seriously think he undermines our defense which in turn undermines our goalkeeper. It's a chain reaction.

People say you build from the back. Not necessarily true. In my opinion, a strong, solid yet creative midfield is as important as things can get. The midfield protects the defense yet supports the attack.

Lucas Leiva, Steven Gerrard, Emre Can, Jordan Henderson, Joe Allen, Philippe Coutinho, and Suso are our current first team central midfielders. In terms of someone who can dictate and boss the midfield, not one name sticks out to me here. IMO, a real commanding central midfielder is needed. Someone like Matic. I'm sure there are top central midfielders available. What about Sami Khederia? He is a player who needs his playing career reviving. That's something we have done well as a club - revived players careers in Coutinho and Sturridge. We can do it again.

In attack we cannot solely rely on Daniel Sturridge to get the goals. More goals has to come from our attacking midfielders in Coutinho, Sterling, Markovic and Lallana but why they are not scoring is beyond me. If I were to get in another attacking midfielder, it'll be Marco Reus. No explanation needed.

As far as strikers are concerned, I have been appalled by Balotelli's attitude at this club. Clearly the guy doesn't give a sh*t. I'd be looking to offload him by next summer at the very latest. He is everything a Liverpool player should not be - lazy. Rickie Lambert has unfortunately seen his best days pass by him. He has got to go next summer.

So what I'd like to do this January?

Loan out Lazar Markovic to anyone who'll give him regular playing time. Clearly needs to strengthen and adapt to the rigors of the PL. It would be ideal if someone like Sunderland could sign him for the remaining half of the season.

Sign Sami Khederia. He showed for Germany last summer that he's still a top top player. His fee would be ridiculously low, but his wages ridiculously high. Surely the wage offsets the transfer fee, so let's go for him.

Sign Marco Reus. Dortmund are in a worse position than us right now. They are in no position to keep their best players and it's not everyday that you'll see players of this caliber become available. Here is our opportunity to grab a Dortmund player or two.

Persevere with Sturridge as our only hope. Strikers are incredibly difficult to sign. I'd rather us be hopeful on keeping Sturridge fit, recall Ibe from loan and put some faith into Borini rather than splash another £20m on someone like Bony.

Totally agree with the striker point and loaning Markovic. Yes if we had the money to get Reus and he wanted to come plus the same would go for Khedera. I think the only strikers we have who can play this 4 3 3 formation is Sturridge and Borini, Mario and lambert cant. That does not mean they cant play 4 2 3 1, 4 4 2 or 4 5 1 so chucking money at another striker is "fool hardy" IMO. I think Gerrard would have more impact on a game coming off the bench and would play Lucas there. Lucas and Khedera could work.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,433 posts | 6423 
      Reply #66: Nov 10, 2014 02:11:17 pm
      Reus won't be at Liverpool...he's bound for Munich just like Lewandoski (sp?).

We need defensive help. Not one of our defenders (bar maybe Sakho) are up to the task at this point. Skrtel is good enough on his best days but those aren't consistently appearing anymore. Lovren and Toure are good if they are good, but when they are bad, they are horrible. If we could have hope of not leaking goals, it might buoy the team and we'd have more patience and get back to our possession game and rely on quick counters with Sterling and Sturridge. That's my take anyway.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #67: Nov 10, 2014 02:20:11 pm
      Reus won't be at Liverpool...he's bound for Munich just like Lewandoski (sp?).

How do you assume or know this, a trend you've seen happen?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,335 posts | 2836 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #68: Nov 10, 2014 02:24:05 pm
      Does anyone watch Jordan Rhodes on a regular basis? I like that guy, a lot. But I can't pretend that I watch him every week, because it wouldn't be true. I do think he could do well in the EPL based on what I've seen though.

Quick Reply