Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

The summer transfer conundrum

Read 13387 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Re: The summer transfer conundrum
      Reply #161: Nov 04, 2014 03:00:32 am
      Maybe we should just adopt a new transfer policy of only signing "outcasts" from Madrid.  They have sold some great players in recent years, and many have gone in cut price deals.  A few that spring to mind are Van Der Vaart, Robben, Sneijder, Higuain, Callejon, Albiol, Alonso, Lopez, Ozil, Garay, Negredo, Huntelaar, etc.  We could certainly do a lot worse than most of those players.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #162: Nov 04, 2014 07:38:09 am
      But if no one else is really interested in Lovren then Saints can play hardball perhaps Jon?

That was my point Si

FL said maybe it's easier to do the deal for a good price if the player really wants to go there(his example was Costa/Fab to the chavs). I said Lovren made it clear he wanted to come yet we paid top dollar for him.. That the selling club set the fee, it's up to you to drive it down or walk away
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #163: Nov 04, 2014 10:14:40 am
      I said during the summer over and over again that we should be aiming for a higher calibre of player as we finally have Champions League football to tempt players to the club. What did we do? We splashed an absurd amount of money on players with potential. It smacked of arrogance really.

Okay. Perhaps we could not have got the likes of Fabregas or Costa but I certainly expected the club to get better players than Lovren, Lallana, Markovic and Lambert who we could have got without CL football.

We were moaning for years that we could not always attract players like Mkhitaryan, Costa, Willian etc without CL football. However, what is the excuse now?

I'm still livid that we spent £120m during the summer and we still did not manage to get a real replacement for Suarez or improve the squad with better first teamers than last season. This really needs assessment from the top.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #164: Nov 04, 2014 11:23:13 am
      To have had the influx of cash from the Suarez sale and end up with a weaker squad is unforgivable.
      From top to bottom the club has been dire in transfers for two years now.

Apart from Sturridge and Coutinho, our signings are no better than the young players that were already here.
      It's infuriating.

Pissed away the biggest budget the clubs ever had on midtable players.
      We already had a midtable defensive record last season.
      We've actually made it worse and lost the title challenging attacking form that masked it.

Hard to take.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #165: Nov 04, 2014 02:46:20 pm
      Been looking at the transfer rumours and if true, it seems we've learned nothing from our Summer failings and are set to bargain basement shop at Villa in January whilst City are preparing to bring Reus to the Etihad and Arsenal bringing Khederia to the Emirates. I know they're just rumours at this point but it's the fact that the rumours are not linking us with a single big name target in January whilst all the other top four contenders are is sickening. If this comes to pass it will cement the view that we are moving backwards, not forwards as a club.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #166: Nov 04, 2014 02:49:40 pm
      Been looking at the transfer rumours and if true, it seems we've learned nothing from our Summer failings and are set to bargain basement shop at Villa in January whilst City are preparing to bring Reus to the Etihad and Arsenal bringing Khederia to the Emirates. I know they're just rumours at this point but it's the fact that the rumours are not linking us with a single big name target in January whilst all the other top four contenders are is sickening. If this comes to pass it will cement the view that we are moving backwards, not forwards as a club.

I love love love Marco Reus and have since he was at Gladbach. BUT, a very good option is Roberto Fimino from Hoffenheim. Fairly similar players.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #167: Nov 04, 2014 02:56:41 pm
      I love love love Marco Reus and have since he was at Gladbach. BUT, a very good option is Roberto Fimino from Hoffenheim. Fairly similar players.

It's not the player, mate, it's the principle involved. Everyone else goes after top class players in order to shore up their chances of top four and title contention while we continuously shop at lower league clubs for average players all the while we slip further in to mediocrity.

Quick Reply