Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

We Almost Bought Liverpool FC

Read 21947 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      We Almost Bought Liverpool FC
      Nov 02, 2014 08:37:23 pm
      Well this is interesting

www.arabianbusiness.com/we-nearly-bought-liverpool-for-360m-reveals-former-dic-boss-562364.html

I knew Sameer was a fan, but never knew Sheikh Mohammed was too!

"As soon as they won the Championā€™s League in 2005, we got serious about due diligence in 2006 and almost signed in January 2007.

What delayed us is because everyone knew Sameer was a lifelong fan of Liverpool, including His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum. So we did three times the amount of due diligence as I had to prove the business sense and there were very few clubs frankly where you can make a business sense,ā€ he told the magazine.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Re: We Almost Bought Liverpool FC
      Reply #1: Nov 02, 2014 08:52:12 pm
      As bad as things are, I still wouldnt want a Sheikh taking over and just throwing massive amounts of money at it. It doesnt take any skill to win anything that way. City are a bunch of mercenaries playing for the money.... Maybe im a romantic, but I would like to think the players we sign want to play for Liverpool 1st and money second. Get Mega rich and there is no chance that will ever happen.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #2: Nov 02, 2014 08:53:22 pm
       :f_wah:
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #3: Nov 02, 2014 09:00:15 pm
      As bad as we are playing right now, these guys buying the club would have destroyed the very soul of the club. Glad it didn't happen.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #4: Nov 02, 2014 09:26:29 pm
      As bad as we are playing right now, these guys buying the club would have destroyed the very soul of the club. Glad it didn't happen.

What do you base your judgement on mate?, surely they can't do worse than the previous & current administrations?.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #5: Nov 02, 2014 09:30:22 pm

The Americans past and present  have done that anyway
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #6: Nov 02, 2014 09:32:35 pm
      When you have sold your soul does it really matter who you sold it to.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #7: Nov 02, 2014 09:36:30 pm
      Dont believe FSG have ruined the soul of the club. Quite the opposite. They have made mistakes though.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #8: Nov 02, 2014 09:37:59 pm
      Dont believe FSG have ruined the soul of the club. Quite the opposite. They have made mistakes though.

A smarter devil they may be but still a devil
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: Nov 02, 2014 09:42:51 pm
      A smarter devil they may be but still a devil

Any owner of any premier league club is in it for the money. Ours dont have as much as others. They have done nothing wrong for me bar play within their means. Kenny saga could have been handled better too.

Stadium development has begun. 2 decades waiting. Appointed the best young manager in England. Given him enough to do his job.... They are new to this granted and have made mistakes but there is no malice there. They havent stripped the club of equities or sold our best assets, who didnt want to be sold.

No owner will be perfect unless they flood money into the club. Might aswell sit at home and play Champo Manager if people want that.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #10: Nov 02, 2014 09:44:12 pm
      The fact is in this day and age you  need the best players to  win  under this current lot we are never going to be in for the best  that is the reality we face  we are all pretty pissed that we are not winning so to say we dont want rich owners is a nonsense  whan most are bemoaning  the fact we are buying average players
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #11: Nov 02, 2014 09:48:47 pm
      The fact is in this day and age you  need the best players to  win  under this current lot we are never going to be in for the best  that is the reality we face  we are all pretty pissed that we are not winning so to say we dont want rich owners is a nonsense  whan most are bemoaning  the fact we are buying average players

115m is a lot of money in 1 window. They have thrown a lot of money at Brendan and his predecessors. If they havent bought smart or the Committee hasnt bought smart its not the owners fault. You and I could go buy a winning team if money was no option? Bunch of mercenaries and they would win us the league. Jersey would mean nothing to them. All im saying is I hope the players we are signing will love the club as much as its fans. ALL OF CITIES players are just there for the cash. Rodwell and co ruined their own careers just for the cash.

Im happy out doing it this way, the right way.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #12: Nov 02, 2014 09:52:11 pm
      Any owner of any premier league club is in it for the money. Ours dont have as much as others. They have done nothing wrong for me bar play within their means. Kenny saga could have been handled better too.

Stadium development has begun. 2 decades waiting. Appointed the best young manager in England. Given him enough to do his job.... They are new to this granted and have made mistakes but there is no malice there. They havent stripped the club of equities or sold our best assets, who didnt want to be sold.

No owner will be perfect unless they flood money into the club. Might aswell sit at home and play Champo Manager if people want that.

Really can't be bothered to get into the owners again mate, it's not really the thread for it either

You like them, sound I respect that, no worries, I don't and won't.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,378 posts | 4978 
      Reply #13: Nov 02, 2014 09:53:28 pm
      When you have sold your soul does it really matter who you sold it to.

Indeed Saint.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #14: Nov 02, 2014 10:03:18 pm
      Just because they're Arabs, it doesn't mean they're going to be spending hundreds and millions a year on transfer fees.

It's not a mutually exclusive.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,792 posts | 7190 
      Reply #15: Nov 02, 2014 10:11:12 pm

Football clubs don't make money so how can you say that what they are here for.FSG are trying to change that and forcing there operating methods on to the club to make it a stand alone entity.
      I didn't see many City fans complaining about their investors or Chelsea fans wanting Roman out.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #16: Nov 02, 2014 10:12:57 pm
      115m is a lot of money in 1 window. They have thrown a lot of money at Brendan and his predecessors. If they havent bought smart or the Committee hasnt bought smart its not the owners fault. You and I could go buy a winning team if money was no option? Bunch of mercenaries and they would win us the league. Jersey would mean nothing to them. All im saying is I hope the players we are signing will love the club as much as its fans. ALL OF CITIES players are just there for the cash. Rodwell and co ruined their own careers just for the cash.

If as you say we are doing it the right way why    are so many of brendans player's back out  on loan and why did we have no plan  for replacing  one of the best players in the world.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,792 posts | 7190 
      Reply #17: Nov 02, 2014 10:13:46 pm

do you know how much some of our players are on What was Luis on Ā£150 k plus. Its a business now and players and their Agents go where they get the best deal.I bet Luis would still be here if we doubled his pay.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #18: Nov 02, 2014 10:14:14 pm
      Just because they're Arabs, it doesn't mean they're going to be spending hundreds and millions a year on transfer fees.

It's not a mutually exclusive.

PSG & Citeh disagree.

One thing I know about the Arabs, they don't give a sh*t about money, they will outspend each other & they love it.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #19: Nov 02, 2014 10:17:08 pm
      As bad as things are, I still wouldnt want a Sheikh taking over and just throwing massive amounts of money at it. It doesnt take any skill to win anything that way. City are a bunch of mercenaries playing for the money.... Maybe im a romantic, but I would like to think the players we sign want to play for Liverpool 1st and money second. Get Mega rich and there is no chance that will ever happen.
      You think city fans enjoyed winning the league last season any less,  because they spent a sh*t load on players?
      Times have changed,  it takes money to make money,  and it takes money to be successful. All this talk about doing it the Liverpool way doesn't wash for me,  it's not like we haven't broke transfer records in the past, even going back as far as signing the King.
      For me "The Liverpool way" is winning titles and trophies,  if we need to spend big to achieve that, then so be it.
      FSG aren't interested in trophies,  they showed that when they sacked Kenny, so therefore they aren't bothered about our history or the Liverpool way.
      The Fact these Arab guys are actually interested in Football,  and in particular, Liverpool FC,  would have made them the best choice to buy the club.  Now we're stuck with the "just do the bare minimum" FSG for the long hall!

Barcelona just spent Ā£75 million on one player,  I wouldn't describe them as sole less.
      Give me an owner that spends money to win trophies, over an owner spends the bare minimum, and hopes get lucky and qualify for the CL every season!
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #20: Nov 02, 2014 10:18:12 pm
      Well Joe Cole, Moses and Balotelli haven't exactly been living embodiments of Shankly's philosophies have they? 99% of footballers nowadays are 'mercenaries' anyway, the only difference that Arab petrodollars would have made would have been one of quality!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #21: Nov 02, 2014 10:20:36 pm
      PSG & Citeh disagree.

One thing I know about the Arabs, they don't give a sh*t about money, they will outspend each other & they love it.

Dubai was a different case because it's not oil rich like its neighbours, it relies primarily on tourism. They also went bust not long after this and had to be bailed out by a loan from Abu Dhabi so we may have dodged a bullet with this one.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #22: Nov 02, 2014 10:22:03 pm
      You think city fans enjoyed winning the league last season any less,  because they spent a sh*t load on players?
      Times have changed,  it takes money to make money,  and it takes money to be successful. All this talk about doing it the Liverpool way doesn't wash for me,  it's not like we haven't broke transfer records in the past, even going back as far as signing the King.
      For me "The Liverpool way" is winning titles and trophies,  if we need to spend big to achieve that, then so be it.
      FSG aren't interested in trophies,  they showed that when they sacked Kenny, so therefore they aren't bothered about our history or the Liverpool way.
      The Fact these Arab guys are actually interested in Football,  and in particular, Liverpool FC,  would have made them the best choice to buy the club.  Now we're stuck with the "just do the bare minimum" FSG for the long hall!

Barcelona just spent Ā£75 million on one player,  I wouldn't describe them as sole less.
      Give me an owner that spends money to win trophies, over an owner spends the bare minimum, and hopes get lucky and qualify for the CL every season!

Spot on mate .

Quick Reply