Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Potential vs Proven

Read 8464 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Potential vs Proven
      Reply #69: Nov 04, 2014 04:59:33 pm
      They're business men with a business model that isn't working on any level. It's not providing short term returns nor long term sustainability. How many of these potentials have broken through? There has been at least seven potentials brought in during FSG's time of an age that now one would expect to see them breaking through yet they've neither been sold for a profit nor broken through to the first team. They're sitting in obscurity somewhere. The business model isn't working and FSG for the sake of their own profits, never mind the club's success, need to revaluate it if this season ends in failure.

Like I said they're prepared to give them time, if Brendan wants them they'll stay even, if it takes 2 or 3 seasons to make it into the 1st team, so be it.  We haven't made a profit because none of Brendans buys have been sold but we had offers for 2 of them and both would have shown a profit if they'd gone.

The obscurity they've gone to is called getting game time, which they badly need and they wouldn't have got if they were here.  There are reasons to do this, prep them for the 1st team if they show an improvement, they'll come into the squad to fight for their place.  If they aren't good enough to keep and we get offers they'll be sold but I doubt we'll lose much, if anything, on any of them.

It's too early for them to think the plan isn't working even if the fans think otherwise, like I said they're businessmen, they don't think like we do.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #70: Nov 04, 2014 05:00:18 pm
      They're business men with a business model that isn't working on any level. It's not providing short term returns nor long term sustainability. How many of these potentials have broken through? There has been at least seven potentials brought in during FSG's time of an age that now one would expect to see them breaking through yet they've neither been sold for a profit nor broken through to the first team. They're sitting in obscurity somewhere. The business model isn't working and FSG for the sake of their own profits, never mind the club's success, need to revaluate it if this season ends in failure.

Sterling worth ~£20 mil plus Couthino £15-£20mil Sturridge £25mil .A conservative profit of over £40 mil just there.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #71: Nov 04, 2014 05:53:02 pm
      Sterling worth ~£20 mil plus Couthino £15-£20mil Sturridge £25mil .A conservative profit of over £40 mil just there.

Knock it off, Walt, you know what I mean. Just from the league last year we made £98.9 million. Last year PSG made £42.6 just for being Quarter finalists in the Champions league. That's £141 million in one year right there, just for being successful. That's a lot more than the re-sale of any player so any business model not revolving around year on year success in both these competitions isn't worth the paper its written on and for all the world, ours does not seem based on this.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #72: Nov 04, 2014 06:00:40 pm
      Knock it off, Walt, you know what I mean. Just from the league last year we made £98.9 million. Last year PSG made £42.6 just for being Quarter finalists in the Champions league. That's £141 million in one year right there, just for being successful. That's a lot more than the re-sale of any player so any business model not revolving around year on year success in both these competitions isn't worth the paper its written on and for all the world, ours does not seem based on this.

this .
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #73: Nov 04, 2014 06:28:22 pm

But it is based on both.  Just because those 3 young players were instant hits doesn't mean they all have to be and Brendan, nor the owners would expect them to.  Of course not all of them will make it but the odd ones will and that's a risk they're prepared to take.

They won't be reassessing their plan for at least another 2 to 3 years, they may never reassess, which is great because it means it's worked.   
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #74: Nov 05, 2014 11:05:22 pm
      Proven quality. That's all I'm saying, and yes, I did think it was obvious I was on about spending the extra for proven quality

Lovren is not proven quality - he is a mid table defender who had a decent season with Soton
      Balotelli is not proven quality - he is doing exactly what he did at City; slump, slink, and walk about
      Lambert is not proven quality - at all, 13 goals and 15 goals for Soton is not proven quality
      Lallana is bordering on proven quality - cost £26m and I think he's a solid buy
      Markovic is not proven quality - not sure what he is right now
      Moreno is not proven quality - and has been very hit and miss so far
      Manquillo is not proven quality - and has been very hit and miss as well
      Origi is not proven quality - but seems to be genuine potential
      Can is not proven quality - of them all I think he's still settling in what with injuries and all that
      Couts was not proven quality  - but it has paid off more or less, he can be a bit off on times
      Studge was not proven quality - but, apart from injuries, he is
      Allen was not proven quality - and probably won't be for what we need
      Borini was not proven quality - much as I love his work rate and ethic
      Alberto was not proven quality - though never had much of a chance
      Assaidi was not proven quality - see above
      Aspas was not proven quality - and again never really go the chance. Well, not much

There's probably a few more

Robbie Keane was proven quality - but never got the chance to prove that

With all respect DLS, my post was not about buying youngsters for profit, though that is an option for FSG no matter what we think.

All I said is that I think we need to start buying proven players and by proven I mean quality.

The main glaring issue is why are we not making our own quality? A lot of these players just paper over what a failure our youth system has become. If we had a prosperous youth system we could spend our money on proven quality!

A great youth system should be the foundations of a great club. At the moment, we are on shaky foundations. It's pathetic it really is.

Quick Reply