Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Newcastle 1:0 Liverpool. In game & post game discussion.

Read 33642 times
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Re: Newcastle 1:0 Liverpool. In game & post game discussion.
      Reply #552: Nov 03, 2014 10:22:19 am
      when Sturridge comes back. Lets be honest, goals are all we need. Once they come the teams confidence will come back and pace will flow.

Let's hope!

But I think it will take a little more than Sturridge coming back for the goals to start going in.

Steven Gerrard, still a huge player for us and obviously someone BR believes is the player he wants to build around for this season at least, but he is no influence on the team in the position he currently plays. It's a waste of a genuine attacking option.

BR is playing Gerrard in front of the defence to preserve him and to be fair, it seems to have helped as Gerrard has rarely been subbed, but for someone with his attacking and scoring ability, I would much rather see him play behind the strikers, even if it meant getting 60/70 minutes out of him. Playing where he is at the moment, is like having only ten men on the pitch.

Why is he not being played where he can get on the score sheet. It worked for Ryan Giggs, Teddy Sheringham, Kevin Phillips, playing at their strengths until they were a lot older than Gerrard currently is. It's not the Gerrard we know and he will get far more out of the side playing to his strengths.
      He hasn't just got older overnight.
      He scored 13 league goals last season and he is more than capable of getting a good return this time round.

He doesn't look like the player who is enjoying his game. Liverpool need a Steven Gerrard we all know, not the one sitting statically in front of the back four.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #553: Nov 03, 2014 10:23:04 am
      Great post mate.

I watch game after game and hope that we will finally get to grips and move on, but you are dead right, things are not good.

We have no idea what to do with the ball. When we do attempt to go forward the move breaks down all too often because of a poor pass, poor first touch, the inability to control the ball and so the ball goes back and we pass it from side to side and end up contributing to our own mess.

Steven Gerrard has no impact in the position he currently plays and but it's clear that BR builds the team around him. If he is going to play SG regardless, then he would be better used for 60 minutes in a game playing further forward. He scored 13 league goals last season and he still has that in him.

Defensively, we are awful. Johnson and Skrtl just don't cut it and are responsible for so many of the goals we have conceded. We don't have a leader at the back, which asks the question about Mignolets apparent loss of confidence this season.

3 things you never question irrespective of how sh*t they might be playing.
      Stevie, Martin and Glen on the starting sheet.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #554: Nov 03, 2014 10:27:19 am
      3 things you never question irrespective of how sh*t they might be playing.
      Stevie, Martin and Glen on the starting sheet.

And why is that then?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #555: Nov 03, 2014 10:31:21 am

Must be his blind spot, can't think of any other reason.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #556: Nov 03, 2014 10:43:50 am
      Must be his blind spot, can't think of any other reason.

you have completely lost me mate!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,632 posts | 6940 
      Reply #557: Nov 03, 2014 12:17:55 pm
      When we do attempt to go forward the move breaks down all too often because of a poor pass, poor first touch, the inability to control the ball and so the ball goes back and we pass it from side to side and end up contributing to our own mess.

I actually thought the Swansea game, at certain times, our short passing was pretty good.  Certainly Coutinho, when played more central, looked sharp.  I don't know why Sterling and Coutinho were played so far out wide against Newcastle because it doesn't look right.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #558: Nov 03, 2014 12:23:03 pm
      I think that is our main problem going forward at the moment... no movement.

Had the same issue towards the end of Rafa's reign, Hodgson and the end of Dalglish's tenure. All three had similar outcomes.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #559: Nov 03, 2014 12:32:15 pm
      Had the same issue towards the end of Rafa's reign, Hodgson and the end of Dalglish's tenure. All three had similar outcomes.

In fairness, I think Hodgson was a defensive manager.  :D

I don't think he coached the attack on the training field.
      marska43
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | 14 
      Reply #560: Nov 03, 2014 12:53:38 pm
      Honestly, this was one of the worst games I've seen us play since BR has been in charge. Absolutely no threat to score, and sending hopeful long balls/crosses became frustrating to watch. I did not feel we were ever a threat to score, which is a shame b/c last year I always thought were could score at any given moment. For me, this game left a lot of questions: Why did we stick w/ Mario alone up front? Has he been given enough time to prove himself? Time for Borini??
      Migs: A couple of big, key saves. Yet the set piece where Johnson cleared off the line was horrendous of Migs. Confirms: great shot stopper, but terrible dealing w/ balls into the box.
      Johnson: Besides the clear off the line, terrible. Just terrible.
      Skrtel: I thought was our most solid player of the day.
      Lovren: I was thinking before their goal how grear he and Skrtel were doing. Then, their goal. Why does Lovren completely abondon his man (who was at the 6 yard box!) to try to intercept that pass? At that point, if you step, you absolutely must win the ball. He didn't, and his man scored the goal.
      Moreno: Tough break with the goal and he was off balance trying to intercept...yet just clear the damn thing! I'm still a fan though.
      Gerrard: Ok. Not great, yet not too bad. The further up the pitch he goes, the more slow and clumbsy he looks to me though. I honestly think the DM is the only role he can be effective in at this point.
      Allen: Usually a fan, but not today. Was terrible, giving up the ball on multiple occasions. It doesn't help though when he recvd the ball, that absolutely no on was moving for him for a pass.
      Hendo: This game begged the question: what is his role in our squad? He was terrible in posession, and for all his energy he's not really a defensive force who can step in at DM. And if you want him further up, tbh I'd rather have Couthino/Lallana/Sterling at those spots.
      Coutinho: No where near as good as he was against the Swans, but he didn't have any help this game either.
      Sterling: Since when did he become Ronaldo and have to take everyone 1-on-1, all the time? His speed is his best asset and should be more concentrated at running behind and between defenses. He was at his best last season when he was doing this from a wide position.
      Mario: Never a threat was he. After watching the Manchesters game yesterday, I was so much more impressed with every striker that featured in that game as opposed to Mario. At some point, if he still doesn't click w/ Studge, we'll have to concede it didn't work and ship him off.
      Would really rather see Lambert and/or Borini this week, and I think Lallana w/ Couthino is a must. We have talented midfielders who can keep possesion and move the ball forward, we just don't seem to want to play them at the same time. It's time to see what BR is really made of now.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,313 posts | 1007 
      Reply #561: Nov 03, 2014 07:36:12 pm
      Just listening to Jaimie Carragher and Gary Neville discussing the match on Sky Sports 1. Very interesting, both good analysts but disagree on the finer points.
      Jaimie said maybe we all underestimated the effect Luis had on the team, maybe we did but as Jaimie said, he's gone and he's not coming back, we have to solve the problem with the players we have, at least 'till Jan!
      « Last Edit: Nov 03, 2014 08:59:44 pm by Redangel »
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,284 posts | 1664 
      Reply #562: Nov 03, 2014 09:42:16 pm
      No one bothered about Lovrens pitiful attempt at a 50/50 wouldnt play him at all rather see kolo
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #563: Nov 03, 2014 09:51:18 pm
      we have to solve the problem with the players we have, at least 'till Jan!

We shouldn't have to struggle through until then though. The club knew he was going well before he did so had plenty of time to prepare for it and even if they didn't then it's not like we had virtually a whole summer transfer window and £100million to spend or anything....
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #564: Nov 03, 2014 09:57:56 pm
      No one bothered about Lovrens pitiful attempt at a 50/50 wouldnt play him at all rather see kolo

plenty of us mentioned Lovrens piss poor attempt
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #565: Nov 06, 2014 07:51:03 pm
      Just a thought and look in the rear view mirror....

Saturday 23rd April 2013   .

Newcastle 0        Liverpool  6.

There was  NO Suarez.

25 Reina
      02 Johnson
      03 Jose Enrique
      05 Agger
      23 Carragher
      08 Gerrard (Borini - 72' )
      10 Coutinho (Suso - 84' )
      14 Henderson
      19 Downing
      21 Lucas
      15 Sturridge Booked (Shelvey - 84' )

Subs
      01 Jones
      16 Coates
      37 Skrtel
      47 Wisdom
      33 Shelvey
      29 Borini
      30 Suso
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #566: Nov 06, 2014 10:20:02 pm
      Just a thought and look in the rear view mirror....

Saturday 23rd April 2013   .

Newcastle 0        Liverpool  6.

There was  NO Suarez.

25 Reina
      02 Johnson
      03 Jose Enrique
      05 Agger
      23 Carragher
      08 Gerrard (Borini - 72' )
      10 Coutinho (Suso - 84' )
      14 Henderson
      19 Downing
      21 Lucas
      15 Sturridge Booked (Shelvey - 84' )

Subs
      01 Jones
      16 Coates
      37 Skrtel
      47 Wisdom
      33 Shelvey
      29 Borini
      30 Suso

What's worse is that contained Johnson and Downing too and we hadn't just spent £100million.

Quick Reply