Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Mignolet
      17 (17.2%)
      Toure
      45 (45.5%)
      Skrtel
      1 (1%)
      Manquillo
      0 (0%)
      Moreno
      7 (7.1%)
      Can
      3 (3%)
      Leiva
      18 (18.2%)
      Allen
      0 (0%)
      Lallana
      4 (4%)
      Markovic
      0 (0%)
      Borini
      4 (4%)
      Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Gerrard
      0 (0%)
      Coutinho
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Voting closed: Nov 08, 2014 10:00:33 pm

Real Madrid 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate

Read 32434 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Real Madrid 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #736: Nov 04, 2014 10:28:35 pm
      The fact that some were acting like we'd already lost before the game even started is baffling.

I really think if we  pick the right team on Saturday this will be seen as a turning point inour season that was such a great effort by the lads but as I posted earlier there was enough skill in there to to be very confident for the rest of the season.just pick lads who deserve to wear the shirt
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #737: Nov 04, 2014 10:28:49 pm
      Love all that "Madrid were below their best tonight". Ah right, so we don't get any credit for that then.

And "Brendan is over the moon we only lost 1-0"? What do people expect him to say, really? Embarrassing on here sometimes.

Agree Mick.

I just think the boss wrote this one off and maybe used it to really see what some other players were made of in his sqaud.

I don't think he was happy to lose just that maybe he expected it and was happy with how we played.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #738: Nov 04, 2014 10:29:28 pm
      I just think the boss wrote this one off and maybe used it to really see what some other players were made of in his sqaud.

In retrospect he should have wrote the Newcastle game off - might have got a win.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #739: Nov 04, 2014 10:29:41 pm
      I think you're over doing that figure mate..

Some have been an utter embarrassment to this club over the last few days.. Today with a few I'm genuinely gutted they're Liverpoool fans

Indeed Jon.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #740: Nov 04, 2014 10:29:51 pm
      It's at the very least about making the defence work - and Borini does that.

He never really has been given a chance at Liverpool - he struggled to get rhythm in his first season here due to injury, and has never truly been given a run.

He deserves his chance - its all about having th desire and commitment to improve. Borini has that in him, and he can only get better I feel. Plus, he's still a young player.

He should get his chance now with or without Balotelli in the team then we can see but until January he is definitely our best option
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #741: Nov 04, 2014 10:30:27 pm
      How does Brendan justify starting Balotelli against Chelsea?

Granted, Borini struggled to be a threat in front of goal, but he tracked back well and retained possession for the club AND importantly, when he had distributed in midfield, zipped immediately forward and didn't lounge around like lazy Balotelli.

It's unfathomable if he starts against Chelsea.

i would be dismayed if balo starts ahead of of borini.  it's going to be very interesting on saturday.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #742: Nov 04, 2014 10:30:51 pm
      In retrospect he should have wrote the Newcastle game off - might have got a win.

Maybe mate.

I think one thing he has learned is that some of his 'first team' shouldn't automatically be getting a place in his side and I honestly would like to see that side start at the weekend.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #743: Nov 04, 2014 10:32:22 pm
      I am going to leave whilst its all positive and just to say just seen Reus score a very good Liverpool type goal ;)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #744: Nov 04, 2014 10:33:31 pm
      Hoping that Brendan's purpose for picking the team he did was two fold, to give some different guys a look and see if they are up to it on the biggest stage and then to show some of the established players that aren't playing well that they need to up their effort and their game. Might not have been his purpose but that's how is like to frame it.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #745: Nov 04, 2014 10:38:17 pm
      I thought we played reasonably well tonight, but we are totally toothless in attack and I can't see that changing any time soon.

Markovic was poor ... but it was still his best performance for us so far.

Allen was made for games like this where passing back and keeping possession is the best you can hope for and he was still quite poor.

Toure played well, makes a difference having a player that can read a game again.

Moreno if he learns to defend and cross will be an outstanding player ... pace to burn and showed a good touch at times.

Can was very impressive in the first half, thought the lack of games showed in the second.

Lallana was probably my m.o.t.m. only player that really troubled the Madrid defence and the only one that ever looked like scoring.

Can't say I am happy with the result but I think we can take a little bit of heart from the performance. We need more goal threat if we are to get anywhere this season though.   

You forgot Lucas
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #746: Nov 04, 2014 10:39:48 pm

Exactly JD.

Think some of these players tonight really did beg the question why they haven't been starting games this season, a question notably being covered up with the masterstroke of a team selection that was tonight.

Anyone that truly thinks Brendan was putting out 'his' first choice XI tonight is lying to themselves. The fact they played that well has to now bring them right into contention for the Chavs and I'd be very disappointed if at least a few of them haven't now worked their way in to his first XI.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #747: Nov 04, 2014 10:40:51 pm
      Just think guys if we had Sturridge we could easily have got a point and he will be back after the Chelsea game ( possibly even on the bench on Sat ).
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #748: Nov 04, 2014 10:41:40 pm
      Nothing wrong to look at the positives, but let's not forget this is our third straight European defeat.  Not happened for around 50 years.

I can see it changing if we play two up front and one of them is Sturridge.

I agree mate, but how many games will he play? If you look at the squad we have 1 league goal scored by a striker (Sturridge) we have Allen, Lucas and Can who will be lucky to get a couple of goals between them. We have Henderson, Gerrard and Coutinho who will get perhaps 10 between them (not counting pens) and 3 strikers that up to now have provided little to make me believe they will score more than 10 between them. Sterling who may get 10 if we are lucky.

So..... how many goals do you think Sturridge will get ?   

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #749: Nov 04, 2014 10:44:39 pm
      It's all pretty simple to me if you want to play the sort of intricate passing play creating triangles over the pitch to take out the opposition you play with a DM - Lucas especially away from home.
      If you want a quarterback to launch your plays start Gerrard.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #750: Nov 04, 2014 10:45:51 pm
      I agree mate, but how many games will he play? If you look at the squad we have 1 league goal scored by a striker (Sturridge) we have Allen, Lucas and Can who will be lucky to get a couple of goals between them. We have Henderson, Gerrard and Coutinho who will get perhaps 10 between them (not counting pens) and 3 strikers that up to now have provided little to make me believe they will score more than 10 between them. Sterling who may get 10 if we are lucky.

So..... how many goals do you think Sturridge will get ?   

I can see Lallana getting a few goals.

LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #751: Nov 04, 2014 10:53:02 pm
      I~ wanted Gerrard wide right for a while and until its too much for him then that's where he should play. Got to reward those lads tonight who played really well it would be such a kick in the balls  if they were back on the bench

A reward is deserved. The only issue I have is that so many of these players wont perform like that week in week out. Suddenly Lucas will drop in form again and Toure will score an OG. Ha Inconsistency is killing us.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #752: Nov 04, 2014 10:56:05 pm
      A reward is deserved. The only issue I have is that so many of these players wont perform like that week in week out. Suddenly Lucas will drop in form again and Toure will score an OG. Ha Inconsistency is killing us.

some players need games to find their form and cant just come in and out of the team.If they don't play well drop them just pick the team on merit.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #753: Nov 04, 2014 10:57:14 pm
      Didnt watch a minute of it but it sounds like we played well. I might even watch the replay tonight. It's been a while since I've witnessed a good Liverpool performance, even though it didn't end the way we wanted it to.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #754: Nov 04, 2014 10:59:18 pm

When has Lucas form really dropped? It's when he is asked to play next to Stevie!

He is a DM play him there or don't bother.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #755: Nov 04, 2014 11:00:27 pm
      Didnt watch a minute of it but it sounds like we played well. I might even watch the replay tonight. It's been a while since I've witnessed a good Liverpool performance, even though it didn't end the way we wanted it to.

it wasn't an epic by any means mate but it was substantially a better effort than of late.
      A lot of lads really put in a great shift tonight and deserve to be considered for Saturday.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #756: Nov 04, 2014 11:02:04 pm
      When has Lucas form really dropped? It's when he is asked to play next to Stevie!

When Lucas played with Stevie alongside him Gerrard often went missing its why rafa played him out wide then as a partner for Torres,
      Lucas is a DM and a good one if you want a DM in your side Lucas is the best we have got
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #757: Nov 04, 2014 11:03:30 pm

Exactly. DM or don't bother, simple as that.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #758: Nov 04, 2014 11:04:19 pm
      When Lucas played with Stevie alongside him Gerrard often went missing its why rafa played him out wide then as a partner for Torres,
      Lucas is a DM and a good one if you want a DM in your side Lucas is the best we have got

Steven didn't play wide right or behind Torres really with Lucas in the side

It was the Macherano/Alonso partnership behind them for much of that period

Quick Reply