Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Are we more reliant on the 70s and 80s teams than we think?

Read 3077 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Are we more reliant on the 70s and 80s teams than we think?
      Nov 11, 2014 10:57:08 pm
      Food for thought. I've not made my mind up on this one yet:

Could it be possible that a gigantic problem we have right now is the clubs stature? It seems plausible to say that any player that we can sign or potentially sign has the potential to choose to go to any traditional big club? In other words, if they're available for us then they're available to everyone. Now I've noticed a big portion of our players that we've signed (putting aside those who signed for good personal relationships with the manager at the time they were signed e.g. joe Allen or Paul Konchesky to a lesser extent) have talked about how they "support" Liverpool or were a childhood fan of the team they grew up with in the 70s and 80s or they follow the club because there dad followed us and so did they.

So are we to be more grateful of that team for reaching those players and giving us the edge for some transfers, that one little golden nugget of playing for your boyhood club, every fan wants to do that right?

Or we think more negatively and think about those people who were not boyhood fans... Where is the allure to the club past that? A lot of the people we wanted to sign or at least linked to sign this year moved to other clubs and this has been going on year after year after year. Players lost to Spurs countless times; let's think irrespective of quality here too, put that aside and think about the fact that we tried to sign them and someone else got them. Most recent case in point, Alexis Sanchez. No secret we wanted to sign him. No secret he had a choice, Liverpool or Arsenal and he chose Arsenal.

The real question I want to ask is why? Why is this a recurring problem that doesn't look like it's going away?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Are we more reliant on the 70s and 80s teams than we think?
      Reply #1: Nov 11, 2014 11:00:51 pm
      Because quite simply:

Winners
      Are
      Getting
      Employed
      Successfully

We aren't interested in winning, apparently it is indeed the taking part that counts.
      « Last Edit: Nov 12, 2014 12:16:35 am by KopiteLuke »
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #2: Nov 11, 2014 11:10:55 pm
      Let's face it people, players aren't bothered about the Club, the League or the Manager, they want the money.  We can spin things any which way we want, rack our brains for explanations but at the end of the day it's the people splashing the most spondoolies that get their man.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,270 posts | 761 
      Reply #3: Nov 11, 2014 11:16:43 pm
      Unfortunately as the above poster correctly points out, the game is all about money. Long gone are the days players played for pride and passion of their club. Until the spiralling of obscene wages paid to these so called super stars nothing will change.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8510 
      Reply #4: Nov 11, 2014 11:23:22 pm
      I wish our boss was - he'd get to see how REAL football teams play passing football, that can defend too!
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #5: Nov 13, 2014 07:00:13 am
      I think the attraction of playing for Liverpool is still there. Being in the next title winning and/or Champions League winning Liverpool team is something I'm sure most footballers would want to be a part of and remembered by.

The problem is Liverpool hasn't shown genuine ambition for a long time. The clubs hierarchy has not been in any state to begin a long-term process that will see Liverpool rise to the top of the Prem and Europe. The current regime has said they have put some of these foundations in place and I do believe some of that. They've basically said they want to put Liverpool back in Europe where we belong, which shows good ambition, and to have a sustainable squad, which is also good because we haven't had that for a long time. They are fairly vague but that can be dismissed as they are American Baseball people new to this game.

We are still able to attract quality players who we can make better because we are Liverpool and they can see we are on a decent path now. But it's up to the owners to show real ambition - we haven't heard from them in a while.. think about Barca and their ambition, when they installed Pep and before that, the President wanted to put the club on the top of the world. Genuine ambition. Maybe it has to come from someone home grown, that is our style as it is with them in Barca.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #6: Nov 13, 2014 07:55:53 am
      Good post.

Unfortunately many of our fans judge the club by the standards of the 70s and 80s and forget that we are ALSO the club of the 90s and 00s. We last won the league around the same time as Everton yet some people feel they are entitled to success because they fling around some Shankly quotes and moan louder than everyone else.

Fans of that era would be embarrassed by the fans of today.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #7: Nov 13, 2014 01:15:16 pm
      Good post.

Unfortunately many of our fans judge the club by the standards of the 70s and 80s and forget that we are ALSO the club of the 90s and 00s. We last won the league around the same time as Everton yet some people feel they are entitled to success because they fling around some Shankly quotes and moan louder than everyone else.

Really ?

Do tell ..........
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #8: Nov 13, 2014 01:44:17 pm
      I think the attraction of playing for Liverpool is still there. Being in the next title winning and/or Champions League winning Liverpool team is something I'm sure most footballers would want to be a part of and remembered by.

We are still able to attract quality players

I'm not quite sure Del.

We helped make Torres. We helped make Alonso. We helped make Suarez etc. Their names  certainly grew after playing for LFC.

I can't remember the last time we signed somebody who was at the top of their game and considered world class.

We don't have a big named manager and taking a look at his signings:

Fabio Borini 
      Joe Allen 
      Oussama Assaidi 
      Nuri Sahin 
      Samed Yesil 
      Daniel Sturridge 
      Philippe Coutinho 
      Luis Alberto 
      Iago Aspas 
      Simon Mignolet   
      Kolo Toure 
      Aly Cissokho 
      Tiago Ilori 
      Mamadou Sakho   
      Victor Moses 
      Rickie Lambert 
      Adam Lallana 
      Emre Can 
      Lazar Markovic 
      Dejan Lovren 
      Divock Origi 
      Javier Manquillo 
      Alberto Moreno 
      Mario Balotelli 

He doesn't sign big names either.  The marquee signing on that list is Balotelli. And that's only because he acts like a clown and gets up to mischief on and off the pitch. As a footballer he is average to say the least.

Players like Sturridge and Coutinho have the potential to be the best in Europe in their positions but at the time we signed them they weren't.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #9: Nov 13, 2014 02:10:42 pm
      Good post.

No. Fans of that era are embarrassment by the pr stooges and the Fenway ass kissers of today.

Liverpool still has a huge income and vast fan base. MORE SO than in the 70s.
      Except its now run as a profiteering brand and wining doesn't mean sh*t.

THATS why the team is an embarrassment.
      David Moores "Liverpool Football Club exists to win trophies and be a source of pride for its community".

John Henry "we are committed to monetising the brand".
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10: Nov 13, 2014 02:12:46 pm
      Let's face it people, players aren't bothered about the Club, the League or the Manager, they want the money.  We can spin things any which way we want, rack our brains for explanations but at the end of the day it's the people splashing the most spondoolies that get their man.

its the answer to most of our problems .Just accept these lads will never love the club as we do they just want the big money and then a bit of success if that come with it.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #11: Nov 13, 2014 03:48:16 pm
      No. Fans of that era are embarrassment by the pr stooges and the Fenway ass kissers of today.

Liverpool still has a huge income and vast fan base. MORE SO than in the 70s.
      Except its now run as a profiteering brand and wining doesn't mean sh*t.

THATS why the team is an embarrassment.
      David Moores "Liverpool Football Club exists to win trophies and be a source of pride for its community".

John Henry "we are committed to monetising the brand".

Under David Moores we fell way behind our rivals, stopped winning the league titles at around the same time Everton did and sold the club to men who came within a whisker of destroying it.

Our success under FSG last season must have really choked you up. It was noticeable you were nowhere to be seen - now we are going through tough times up you pop again.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the modern supporter in all his glory.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #12: Nov 13, 2014 03:56:12 pm
      Under David Moores we fell way behind our rivals, stopped winning the league titles at around the same time Everton did and sold the club to men who came within a whisker of destroying it.

Our success under FSG last season must have really choked you up. It was noticeable you were nowhere to be seen - now we are going through tough times up you pop again.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the modern supporter in all his glory.

so under Moores we won 5 trophies in one season had two CL finals winning one of them yet you put finishing second ahead of those achievements.You really are the biggest WUM this forum has ever had
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #13: Nov 13, 2014 04:03:34 pm
      its the answer to most of our problems .Just accept these lads will never love the club as we do they just want the big money and then a bit of success if that come with it.

I meant any Club, manager or League mate.  So long as they are paid the most money, they'll play anywhere for anyone.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #14: Nov 13, 2014 04:08:12 pm
      ...  so under Moores we won 5 trophies in one season had two CL finals winning one of them yet you put finishing second ahead of those achievements.
      You really are the biggest WUM this forum has ever had

+1 Walton mate.

;D

(... and everything else is Stevie's fault of course .)

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #15: Nov 13, 2014 04:09:00 pm
      I meant any Club, manager or League mate.  So long as they are paid the most money, they'll play anywhere for anyone.

Sorry if I wasn't clear but I was referring to all modern footballers too its all about the money not where they live for a couple of years
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #16: Nov 13, 2014 04:09:14 pm

I'm not so sure mate, the really top managers can attract players, but that's probably because they are at clubs where trophies are won.
      I'm sure money comes into it as well, because of the same reasons, top clubs have top managers and pay top wages.
      These days, the best players have earned enough by the age of 25 that they never have to work again, so when you have that amount it becomes less important except as an ego thing.
      I'm not sure I'm being as clear as I want to be here, but I took a painkiller, and am feeling a bit fuzzy, so if it's not clear I'll try again later.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #17: Nov 13, 2014 04:20:37 pm
      so under Moores we won 5 trophies in one season had two CL finals winning one of them yet you put finishing second ahead of those achievements.You really are the biggest WUM this forum has ever had

Moores was chairman from 1991 to 2007 - in that time his chief henchman was responsible for running our greatest recent manager out of the club. No Rafa, no two CL finals.

If FSG fail to take us to a champions league final after 14 years you might have a point - but even then they will be taking us from a much much lower point than Moores did when he took over ownership - at that point we were still dominant.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #18: Nov 13, 2014 04:21:11 pm
      I'm not so sure mate, the really top managers can attract players, but that's probably because they are at clubs where trophies are won.
      I'm sure money comes into it as well, because of the same reasons, top clubs have top managers and pay top wages.
      These days, the best players have earned enough by the age of 25 that they never have to work again, so when you have that amount it becomes less important except as an ego thing.
      I'm not sure I'm being as clear as I want to be here, but I took a painkiller, and am feeling a bit fuzzy, so if it's not clear I'll try again later.

Remember a programme about Michael Owen probably in 1999-2000 one manager commented on how a young man on a 5 year contract is made for life and that he cant hurt him when he can sit on the bench and earn £30k a week and that was 14 years ago.
      If you are earning between £2million and £10 million a year then what can you do to put a rocket up a lazy player
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #19: Nov 13, 2014 04:22:16 pm
      Moores was chairman from 1991 to 2007 - in that time his chief henchman was responsible for running our greatest recent manager out of the club. No Rafa, no two CL finals.

If FSG fail to take us to a champions league final after 14 years you might have a point - but even then they will be taking us from a much much lower point than Moores did when he took over ownership.

so 5 trophies in a season counts for nothing either.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #20: Nov 13, 2014 04:27:56 pm
      If they are the very top, top players they have their pick of course they do but most still chase the money otherwise none of them of would go to Russia.  I mean who the F**k wants to live in Russia when they can live in Monaco, Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, London??
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #21: Nov 13, 2014 04:29:54 pm
      so 5 trophies in a season counts for nothing either.

Four trophies are great - but the most important one comes with wining the league - that's our bread and butter.

I'm not counting the charity shield as a significant victory.

Quick Reply