Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Skrtel to join the 200 Premier League Club

Read 7796 times
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Re: Skrtel to join the 200 Premier League Club
      Reply #46: Dec 05, 2014 07:21:04 pm
      Reading some of the posts here you'd think that he is the cause of all our defensive woes, but he's not.
      Given that he has had no cover in front of him, and has to cover for Johnson, as well as play against his natural inclination in a high line, it's little wonder we concede goals.
      Add to that a goalie nicknamed Dracula, and players not doing their jobs at set pieces (Lovren, Moreno, Johnson at times).

But yeah, it's all skrtels fault.

Stop f**king griping and give the fella his due, or post about his alleged deficiencies in his player thread.
      I'm going to tip a glass in his honour.
      Well in fella.

Well said, how many times has he headed off the line. I will join you, and raise a glass to honour a fine servant of this Club!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #47: Dec 05, 2014 07:31:02 pm
      ;D, defensive errors for last season was 4. One more than Kompany and 2 more than Terry.

Compare:

The man was a monster last season. I can find more if you are still deluded enough to believe he wasn't one of the best from a stats point of view last season.

A link to your your mythical figures like your mythical man monster  :lmao:

Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #48: Dec 05, 2014 07:32:15 pm
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #49: Dec 05, 2014 07:35:17 pm
      A link to your your mythical figures like your mythical man monster  :lmao:

You seem more interested in laughing at people making actual arguments then making any yourself. You're coming across as a bit of a tw*t really. Literally just above you is someone who is asking for the same information in a polite and measured way. Take a lesson.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #50: Dec 05, 2014 07:48:55 pm
      A few more: whoscored (a relatively accurate stats compilation website, not perfect but they are never far from the mark) rated him as the best CB last season http://www.whoscored.com/Articles/6stgl3url0k9l5muialk5a/Show/League-Focus-Premier-League-Team-of-the-Season

http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2013/2014/martin_skrtel/126/64/519/0/p|premier_league/2013/2014/vincent_kompany/126/64/543/0/p|premier_league/2013/2014/john_terry/126/64/72/0/p#tackles_won/aerial_duels_won_%/interceptions/blocks/clearances/defensive_errors/errors_leading_to_goal#90

Here he compares very well to Kompany and Terry without including his offensive output at all.
      Have you just started watching us this season?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #51: Dec 05, 2014 07:50:41 pm
      I understand that stats don't provide a full picture, but they can be reliable indicators of what a player is doing right or wrong, especially when combined with other indicators like prozone.

I also understand that there are a lot of people who say "I know what I see" when referring to a players abilities, the problem is that things like unconscious bias mean people look for mistakes and ignore the good things players do.
      I also know that memory is not reliable, and tends to affirm unconscious bias.
      I also know that too many fans have unrealistic expectations of players.
      I also know that for some reason, some people always go looking for a scapegoat.

And on top of all that, I know that for me, it's better to see the positives and support the team and the manager to the best of my ability.
      I much prefer it that way, because to me football is supposed to be enjoyable.
      Of course the flip side of that is that some people enjoy a good old moan.

So again, well in Skrtel, and congrats on a very good career milestone.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #52: Dec 05, 2014 08:04:32 pm
      Martin Skrtel in the team we concede double the amount of goals and 35% less likely to keep a clean sheet
      He set the record last year for own goals scored
      He has the worst own goals/min played ratio in epl history
      He commited the most errors leading to a goal last year

https://mobile.twitter.com/dankennett/status/507891568166989825

The guys a man monster alright.  :lmao:

I will give you he is great at putting in blocks, interceptions we all know that and he will be top of any list.
      Question you have to ask is why, and it's fairly obvious he is such a reactive player who wants the safety of the 18 yard box inviting pressure., shots crosses etc.
      He will back off when ever a player comes toward him and sometimes gets a block.
      A top class defender will anticipate danger and stop it at source ie play a high line but this anathema to Skrtel.

No great surprise with Skrtel and to be fair Johnson in the side we are always under the cosh because they won't push up and squeeze the space between midfield and defence.
      So many times we have seen opposition players running from the half way line with what looks like acres of space, Stevie as DM has not helped but even with Lucas there is still a huge gap and we know once  opposition players flood that space its trouble.
      « Last Edit: Dec 05, 2014 08:22:28 pm by HScRed1 »
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #53: Dec 06, 2014 01:31:44 pm
      Martin Skrtel in the team we concede double the amount of goals and 35% less likely to keep a clean sheet
      He set the record last year for own goals scored
      He has the worst own goals/min played ratio in epl history
      He commited the most errors leading to a goal last year

https://mobile.twitter.com/dankennett/status/507891568166989825

The guys a man monster alright.  :lmao:

I will give you he is great at putting in blocks, interceptions we all know that and he will be top of any list.
      Question you have to ask is why, and it's fairly obvious he is such a reactive player who wants the safety of the 18 yard box inviting pressure., shots crosses etc.
      He will back off when ever a player comes toward him and sometimes gets a block.
      A top class defender will anticipate danger and stop it at source ie play a high line but this anathema to Skrtel.

No great surprise with Skrtel and to be fair Johnson in the side we are always under the cosh because they won't push up and squeeze the space between midfield and defence.
      So many times we have seen opposition players running from the half way line with what looks like acres of space, Stevie as DM has not helped but even with Lucas there is still a huge gap and we know once  opposition players flood that space its trouble.

Mate, you are basically conceding your thinking is exactly what I accused you of earlier. "Liverpools defence is bad. Skrtel is in Liverpool's defence most of the time. Ergo Skrtel is bad."

Team stats to determine the quality of a player is very weak. Certainly far weaker than using individual stats to determine the quality of a player. And his individual stats are very very good. Btw, OGs which are deflections don't count as goal errors in the stats count - because there is fuckall the player can do about them normally.
      Also you are going to have to find evidence for that claim that he committed the most errors leading to a goal last season, because I've provided 3 sources which say the opposite of that, and your link doesn't say that so thus far its just something you've pulled out of your arse.

Quick Reply