Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Liverpool 1:2 Chelsea. In game and post match déjà vu.

Read 43020 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: Liverpool 1:2 Chelsea. In game and post match déjà vu.
      Reply #782: Nov 12, 2014 03:50:38 pm
      Rather a contradiction mate in the sense that we are missing those very facets - energy, pace and stamina and you admit yourself Flanagan's qualities are also missed.

I'd use words such as energy, pace and stamina to describe Johnson.

And Johnson is sh*te.

What words would you associate him with? He certainly has stamina and energy along with passion for the club and full commitment. I will give you the pace, but his positioning helps with that. For one so young we have sorely missed him.

Stamina...maybe. Don't all modern footballers have stamina though?

Pace and energy - no.

How I'd describe Flanno?  Old fashioned, no nonsense defending, consistent, good positioning, confident, tough tackling, steady, plays it simple etc.  I wouldn't put anything specific about pace or energy in there.

We may disagree, but I don't particularly see Flanno as a quick player or one who bombs up and down the pitch for 90mins. So that says to me that the modern full back doesn't necessarily need the qualities you suggested they do. If Flanno was fit I'd have him in the team over both Johnson and Manquillo and I'm sure you would too.

So is Gerrard playing at RB really so difficult to imagine?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,190 posts | 4405 
      Reply #783: Nov 12, 2014 04:12:46 pm

And Johnson is sh*te.

Pace and energy - no.

How I'd describe Flanno?  Old fashioned, no nonsense defending, consistent, good positioning, confident, tough tackling, steady, plays it simple etc.  I wouldn't put anything specific about pace or energy in there.

We may disagree, but I don't particularly see Flanno as a quick player or one who bombs up and down the pitch for 90mins. So that says to me that the modern full back doesn't necessarily need the qualities you suggested they do. If Flanno was fit I'd have him in the team over both Johnson and Manquillo and I'm sure you would too.

I certainly would not describe johnson who has the attributes you describe, why do you think once he loses the ball up top he jogs back, hardly pace, stamina or energy there. Maybe he's just a lazy b***ard.

The way Brendan sets up up his team the most demanding roles in the team are for the fullbacks to bomb up and provide width and get on their bike to come back and defend. Flanno may not have pace but he certainly has energy, stamina and more importantly heart.

As for Gerrard in that role don't be ridiculous can't you see what happens to him week in week out he gets turned inside out due to a lack of pace.
      The second Chelsea goal where Johnson got flak for being out of position he was instructed by Brendan to come in and help Gerrard out! Every winger in the land would be licking their lips at the site of seeing Gerrard there.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #784: Nov 12, 2014 04:27:49 pm
      I certainly would not describe johnson who has the attributes you describe, why do you think once he loses the ball up top he jogs back, hardly pace, stamina or energy there. Maybe he's just a lazy b***ard.

The way Brendan sets up up his team the most demanding roles in the team are for the fullbacks to bomb up and provide width and get on their bike to come back and defend. Flanno may not have pace but he certainly has energy, stamina and more importantly heart.

As for Gerrard in that role don't be ridiculous can't you see what happens to him week in week out he gets turned inside out due to a lack of pace.
      The second Chelsea goal where Johnson got flak for being out of position he was instructed by Brendan to come in and help Gerrard out! Every winger in the land would be licking their lips at the site of seeing Gerrard there.

Johnson is a grock and has always been labelled as fast, energetic, good at going forward etc. He's sh*te though. Proper sh*te.

I'm not being ridiculous. This is why we are discussing full backs in this thread.

I'm saying a full back doesn't need pace and it is simply myth that they do. I used Flanno as an example, somebody who we are badly missing this season yet isn't blessed with pace and doesn't exactly beat his man to reach the byline like Johnson might do once or twice in a game.

Would they? Like who? Hazard, perhaps. Who else?

I can't think of any left wingers in the prem who would be prepared to dribble past gerrard or push the ball 10 yards down the line and beat him in a sprint.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #785: Nov 12, 2014 04:28:31 pm
      What words would you associate him with? He certainly has stamina and energy along with passion for the club and full commitment. I will give you the pace, but his positioning helps with that. For one so young we have sorely missed him.

His positioning appeared to be good because we mostly attacked down the right when he played on the left, so he didn't get forwards anywhere near as much as Johnson, and was usually found loitering around the halfway line, just inside the opposition half.

The fact that players still went past him more than any other fullback in the league when he didn't get forward much, makes the myth of Flanno The Brilliant a little hard to swallow.

He's got plenty of time to learn though, and I hope he can become a good player for us, if only because I always like seeing local lads in the team.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,190 posts | 4405 
      Reply #786: Nov 12, 2014 04:36:33 pm
      Johnson is a grock and has always been labelled as fast, energetic, good at going forward etc. He's sh*te though. Proper sh*te.

I'm not being ridiculous. This is why we are discussing full backs in this thread.

I'm saying a full back doesn't need pace and it is simply myth that they do. I used Flanno as an example, somebody who we are badly missing this season yet isn't blessed with pace and doesn't exactly beat his man to reach the byline like Johnson might do once or twice in a game.

Would they? Like who? Hazard, perhaps. Who else?

I can't think of any left wingers in the prem who would be prepared to dribble past gerrard or push the ball 10 yards down the line and beat him in a sprint.

Gerrard in a straight race would hold his own but up against a tricky winger would be turned inside out in fact he so often follows the ball rather than the man a simple 1-2 would bypass him, but if you can't see that that's your prerogative and end of discussion.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #787: Nov 12, 2014 04:56:12 pm
      Gerrard in a straight race would hold his own but up against a tricky winger would be turned inside out in fact he so often follows the ball rather than the man a simple 1-2 would bypass him, but if you can't see that that's your prerogative and end of discussion.

Still no examples then?

And if you play football yourself then you will know how simple it works. Doesn't matter what standard of football it is.

If your full back is beaten then your centre half will come across. This will be Skrtel.

Lucas will drop into a CB position to cover Skrtel as SG makes up ground.

We wouldn't be anywhere near as exposed as what you make out. And if Sterling plays in front of SG then I wouldn't worry one bit.

Full backs, no matter who, are beaten by wide men every game in the prem. Doesn't mean a goal comes from it each time.

And its easy to pass the ball around SG but even now I don't see many players dribbling past him very easily or winning 50-50 tackles against him.

I'd love to see somebody like Stewart Downing 'licking his lips' being up against Gerrard and watching Stevie boot him out of play in the first 5mins.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #788: Nov 12, 2014 05:55:40 pm

And Johnson is sh*te.

Pace and energy - no.

In reply to me you say all footballers have stamina, patently not true there are some lazy bas**rds out there at any given time.
      Irrespective having seen the lad play he'll do for me and as far as I'm concerned he can do a job for LFC when he gets the injury out of the way
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #789: Nov 12, 2014 05:58:27 pm

Not any more he wouldn't.
      He rarely gets into anything resembling a full sprint these days, probably due to his adductor injuries and subsequent post surgery infections.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,190 posts | 4405 
      Reply #790: Nov 12, 2014 06:05:48 pm
      He rarely gets into anything resembling a full sprint these days, probably due to his adductor injuries and subsequent post surgery infections.

Your probably right I was just being kind.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,342 posts | 1526 
      Reply #791: Nov 12, 2014 08:00:15 pm
      So maybe it is time for him to take a seat on the bench then, all things considered.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #792: Nov 13, 2014 09:49:51 am
      In reply to me you say all footballers have stamina, patently not true there are some lazy bas**rds out there at any given time.
      Irrespective having seen the lad play he'll do for me and as far as I'm concerned he can do a job for LFC when he gets the injury out of the way

Of course it's true. Because a player is lazy and cant be arsed running for the ball doesn't mean he isn't capable of it. To be a pro-footballer you have to be very fit.  They only players who have no stamina are your 40+ year old Gascoignes who won't F***ing retire.

I think you've misunderstood me. I'm praising Flanno, not criticising him. Flanno would be my first choice RB every day of the week. Let me bring you up to date:

1. Gerrard is a sh*te DM.
      2. Lucas is a good DM.
      3. We need a DM at present to protect our shaky defence.
      4. Play Lucas. DM sorted.
      5. Johnson is a sh*te RB.
      6. Manquillo is a sh*te RB.
      7. We need a decent RB to protect our shaky defence.
      8. Lucas now has the DM position. Play Gerrard at RB until Flanno returns.

A few people then questioned whether Gerrard has the pace to play at RB. I then argued the point that Flanno has no pace but he is miles better than Johnson, a player who has been associated with having pace his whole career.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #793: Nov 13, 2014 11:22:57 am
      Of course it's true. Because a player is lazy and cant be arsed running for the ball doesn't mean he isn't capable of it. To be a pro-footballer you have to be very fit.  They only players who have no stamina are your 40+ year old Gascoignes who won't F***ing retire.

I think you've misunderstood me. I'm praising Flanno, not criticising him. Flanno would be my first choice RB every day of the week. Let me bring you up to date:

1. Gerrard is a sh*te DM.
      2. Lucas is a good DM.
      3. We need a DM at present to protect our shaky defence.
      4. Play Lucas. DM sorted.
      5. Johnson is a sh*te RB.
      6. Manquillo is a sh*te RB.
      7. We need a decent RB to protect our shaky defence.
      8. Lucas now has the DM position. Play Gerrard at RB until Flanno returns.

A few people then questioned whether Gerrard has the pace to play at RB. I then argued the point that Flanno has no pace but he is miles better than Johnson, a player who has been associated with having pace his whole career.

'Has' being the key word with Johnson, we need a player with the talent and skills that have now deserted him.
      While the manager is forced to F**k around making do and playing men out of position we will achieve the status (or lack of) that practice deserves, lack of commitment deserves F**k all. 

Quick Reply