Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Champions League Knockout phase - Can we get there?

Read 9124 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Champions League Knockout phase - Can we get there?
      Nov 17, 2014 05:26:07 pm
      It struck me today that we're all talking about the league and whether we can qualify for the Champions League next year but almost no talk about the Champions League we're in this year. Certainly no specific thread outside of the individual match threads. So I thought I'd start one.

As things stand, we're currently 3rd (of four) in the group, 3 points behind second place Basel with one away game (next) and one home game to come. Goal difference does not come in to the equation, only head to head. There's several permutations for qualification to the next round. The easiest is simply win all our remaining games which will give us 9 points and hope that Ludogorets and Basel draw finishing them both on less points than us. Another way, is to win our next two games and win Basel 2-0 which should qualify us with 9 points even if Basel finish on 9 points themselves. The final way and the least best scenario is we loose to Ludogorets by a single goal but beat Basel by more than two goals which should, I believe, mean we finish on six points but go through second in the group because of our head to head against both Ludogorets and Basel.

But the way our season has gone so far and the fact we have so many problem areas all over the pitch, players low on confidence, a manager who seems to have run out of ideas and all our hopes pinned on the return of a single player, will we actually do this? There's another question to ask (and one that doesn't necessarily reflect my own thoughts). Do we want this? Taken within the context of the season so far, would remaining in the Champions League increase the likelihood of our failing to qualify for next season's tournament? Would the lack of any mid-week distractions be a help in the longer term re-development of the club? Or would failure to qualify for the knockout phase be yet another nail in the coffin of our season?

What's your thoughts?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Champions League Knockout phase - Can we get there?
      Reply #1: Nov 17, 2014 05:47:06 pm
      Two good questions mate.

Can we get there? 

Well there's no reason why we can't, as you point out Danny's back this weekend and although he's going to be under immense pressure to kick start our season, I'm positive he's more than capable.  Of course your scenario is assuming that Madrid will win both their remaining games but if they don't then our chance has gone, regardless of our own results.

Do we want to?

Of course we want to, we absolutely need to and not just for the money.  The lads need as much European experience as they can possibly get.  They and Brendan need to get to grips with playing matches every few days, travelling in between games, learning how best to recover, how and when to rotate players and how football is played outside of the PL.  If these lads are to become top professionals and Brendan is to become a top Manager, they have to do so on the biggest stage and there is none bigger than the CL.

If we fail though do we want to finish last or 3rd in the group which drops us into the EL?

I'm guessing a lot on here would prefer to be out of it altogether but as above I want us in it for as long as possible.  Don't forget that winning the EL this season means automatic qualification into the CL qualifyers next season and how good would that be.  A trophy and CL football again  ;D
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #2: Nov 17, 2014 05:53:48 pm
      I have to imagine Madrid will beat both Basel and Ludo, so our fate should be on our own hands. I believe we should win both of our two remaining games, so we should progress. If we don't make it through, then I absolutely want to finish 3rd so we can make a run at winning the Europa League. As Debs mentioned, more European experience, a trophy, and automatic qualification for the main event again next season would be a wonderful "consolation prize"
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #3: Nov 17, 2014 06:12:36 pm
      Can we get there - As it's mathematically possible then yes we can.

Will we get there - The bookies have it at a virtual coin flip 51/49 in our favour with Basel, I would personally make us stronger favourites than that simply because of how we generally do things. However one thing doesn't work in our favour this time, Brendan's record in knock-out competitions is horrendous, there's no two ways about it and essentially that last game against Basel will probably come down to that, us or them.

This kind of brings me on to the next point, because Debs paints a great picture of us winning a European trophy and securing CL qualification for next year. The thought has crossed my mind that this might end up being our best chance as the season progresses. Again though I can't be confident of our chances of progressing in a knock-out competition judging on our past performance under Brendan.

So the scenario that gives us the most chance of qualification next year is probably being knocked out at this stage. Would I want that? Hell no! I'd rather be in it with a chance of winning it, no matter how slim that chance may be.

Sturridge basically has 3 weeks to be in top form for the Basel game, we shouldn't need him for more than 60 mins against Ludo, but most probably will. It's going to be tough but for now both my head and heart say we should just manage it as long as Sturridge remains fit.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4: Nov 17, 2014 06:14:17 pm
      Did anyone actually think we would make it easy.Not a chance
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #5: Nov 17, 2014 08:22:39 pm
      Strange as it may seem as our backs are up against the wall generally ...  we could do this thing.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #6: Nov 17, 2014 08:45:40 pm
      Our destiny is in our hands, win both and we're thru, simples,  however when do we do things simple,
      I'm.hoping we stay in the CL and not end up in the El, 
      As funny as it seems continuing in the CL for however long will give us a better chance of a higher finish in the league,
      Dropping into the El and playing on a Thursday then a Sunday or Monday would imo be worse,

I suppose it's about the recovery period and the conditions of where in Europe we will play, but I think players adapt more to playing Tuesdays & Wednesday rather than Thursday, haven’t got any stats to back it up maybe some nerd out there has?

YNWA
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #7: Nov 17, 2014 09:43:48 pm
      I said from the outset that if we wrote the Madrid games off from the start then the four matches against Basel and Ludogorets will be the deciders. On that evidence so far, there's half a chance! :)

If Madrid stay interested (let's be honest, their reserves could probably top this group) and we get our sh*t together with regard to our defence then I think we can scrape second.

It's horrible but we all knew we wouldn't do it the easy way. I don't even know why we're worrying! ;)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #8: Nov 17, 2014 10:11:46 pm
      Of course your scenario is assuming that Madrid will win both their remaining games but if they don't then our chance has gone, regardless of our own results.

We can still qualify even if Madrid lost their remaining games I think Debs.

Basle have 2 games left Madrid and us. They have 6 points so if they beat Madrid they will have 9 points

We have 3 points if we beat Ludo and Basle we will have 9 points so it will go to the head to head games meaning we need to beat Basle 2-0 and we would go through.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #9: Nov 17, 2014 10:17:09 pm
      First of all let me be clear and say I'm playing devil's advocate in this thread. The views I put across don't necessarily match my own. But they do need to be said.

The thing about winning the Europa League is if we can't beat Ludogorets or Basel - and let's be honest here, it's still possible for us to come bottom of the group - what makes you think we could win the Champions League teams that drop in to the EL with us? There's an argument to be had that says we're lucky to be on three points right now because Ludogorets where unlucky to loose against us at Anfield. It should also be remembered that when playing at home, they gave Real a hell of better game than we did at Anfield.

Then there's the scenario of us being knocked out. If we do drop in to this competition, should we take it seriously in order to gain European experience (my view on this is already on record) or do we consider it a distraction and as such, field weakened teams until we're knocked out, using the main core of players to focus on finishing fourth?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #10: Nov 17, 2014 10:20:45 pm
      First of all let me be clear and say I'm playing devil's advocate in this thread. The views I put across don't necessarily match my own. But they do need to be said.

The thing about winning the Europa League is if we can't beat Ludogorets or Basel - and let's be honest here, it's still possible for us to come bottom of the group - what makes you think we could win the Champions League teams that drop in to the EL with us? There's an argument to be had that says we're lucky to be on three points right now because Ludogorets where unlucky to loose against us at Anfield. It should also be remembered that when playing at home, they gave Real a hell of better game than we did at Anfield.

Then there's the scenario of us being knocked out. If we do drop in to this competition, should we take it seriously in order to gain European experience (my view on this is already on record) or do we consider it a distraction and as such, field weakened teams until we're knocked out, using the main core of players to focus on finishing fourth?

I think the premise is that we will improve mate. If we continue to play as we have so far, our seasons as good as over now.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #11: Nov 17, 2014 10:21:25 pm
      We can still qualify even if Madrid lost their remaining games I think Debs.

Basle have 2 games left Madrid and us. They have 6 points so if they beat Madrid they will have 9 points

We have 3 points if we beat Ludo and Basle we will have 9 points so it will go to the head to head games meaning we need to beat Basle 2-0 and we would go through.

That's ok then mate, I hadn't checked.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #12: Nov 17, 2014 10:25:25 pm
      We can get there but it is very touch and go and our form has been that poor that optimism for this comp seems to have wilted.

Yes, we want to but it looks slim hence why many aren't doing cartwheels about it. Basel will have the air of Olympiakos about it, if we beat IMO a decent attacking Ludogerets.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #13: Nov 17, 2014 10:27:30 pm
      That's ok then mate, I hadn't checked.

Our qualification is based simply on our matching points with one or both of the other teams but having results that are no worse than our win against them and better than our loss against them respectively. Put simply, if we loose to Ludo we have to loose less badly than they lost to us and we have to win Basel by more than they won us by and we qualify regardless of any other considerations.

In all reality, Basel is the only 'must win' game for us.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #14: Nov 18, 2014 10:06:19 am
      To be honest Brendans record in cups has been woeful so far, so i wasnt expecting to get out of the group, even after the draw was made!

Brendan seems to need time to adjust at every footballing juction he comes to... CL will be no different!

However after Losing 3 games, its still doable... so I'll take that!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #15: Nov 18, 2014 02:32:57 pm
      To answer the topic question -- of course we can! God forbid we finish 3rd and drop into the Europa League and Thursday night kickoffs. That alone should be motivation enough to beat the crap out of Basel and Ludogorets.

jimmy_tries
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts |
      Reply #16: Nov 18, 2014 03:03:11 pm
      To answer the topic question -- of course we can! God forbid we finish 3rd and drop into the Europa League and Thursday night kickoffs. That alone should be motivation enough to beat the crap out of Basel and Ludogorets.

I agree dropping down to the Europa will be awful for the squad.

What it comes down to is the cliche saying "You Win, You're In." Can we win both of our games? Yes. I think that revisiting this question after this weekend when the return of DS might give us a glimpse of what this team could be, is fair and should be done. Hopefully by the 26th the squad will feel a lot more confident because we just put a beatdown on CP away. The fans will be reenergized, the squad will be reenergized, and BR will be pushed to put out a starting 11 that could push us out of the group and into the knockout stage.

YNWA
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #17: Nov 20, 2014 08:56:49 pm
      Can't see it happening if Brendan continues with his current strategy. Been so poor of late, and no signs of any changes !
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #18: Nov 20, 2014 09:01:51 pm
      I would have been confident with Sturridge back. He can nick goals out of nothing and his movement opens up space for others.

With Balotelli, Borini and Lambert as our impotent main strikers it will be very difficult.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #19: Nov 21, 2014 12:45:26 am
      We can get there.

I'm not sure whether I'd bet any decent money on it though.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #20: Nov 21, 2014 01:39:56 am
      I agree dropping down to the Europa will be awful for the squad.

What it comes down to is the cliche saying "You Win, You're In." Can we win both of our games? Yes. I think that revisiting this question after this weekend when the return of DS might give us a glimpse of what this team could be, is fair and should be done. Hopefully by the 26th the squad will feel a lot more confident because we just put a beatdown on CP away. The fans will be reenergized, the squad will be reenergized, and BR will be pushed to put out a starting 11 that could push us out of the group and into the knockout stage.

YNWA

Why will it be awful? Neither most of the players nor the manager have any real European experience so Brendan needs to learn about managing his side for European away trips and playing twice-weekly matches. Surely it's best to continue that education in the next best place available? Plus winning it now puts you in to the Champions League so it certainly holds value.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #21: Nov 21, 2014 03:19:08 am
      The main reason we have any chance right now is because Ludogorets beat Basel the first time they played each other. Win our final 2 matches and we should make it through. The hardest of the 2 fixtures is at home which is a bonus, we HAVE to win it though and I'm not that confident atm which is sad to say.
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #22: Nov 22, 2014 01:02:48 pm
      Who knows we may at some point play half decent in a game and score a couple of goals
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #23: Nov 22, 2014 01:07:34 pm
      Who knows we may at some point play half decent in a game and score a couple of goals

Yea sometime next year when/if Sturridge comes back from injury.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #24: Nov 22, 2014 04:44:42 pm
      Quote from billythered
      Our destiny is in our hands, win both and we're thru, simples,  however when do we do things simple,
      I'm.hoping we stay in the CL and not end up in the El, 
      As funny as it seems continuing in the CL for however long will give us a better chance of a higher finish in the league,
      Dropping into the El and playing on a Thursday then a Sunday or Monday would imo be worse,

I suppose it's about the recovery period and the conditions of where in Europe we will play, but I think players adapt more to playing Tuesdays & Wednesday rather than Thursday, haven’t got any stats to back it up.

YNWA

If we have to play Thursday night, we get on with it and stop moaning. We desperately need European football after Christmas, for the rankings if nothing else. The longer we're in Europe, the better chance of a higher seeding next time. It's taken a battering in recent years.

Beating Ludogorets will guarantee Europe after Christmas. Then it's a home game last. Exactly what you want when you need a result at the end of a tight group. Because of that, I think it will be enough to finish second. But finishing last would be disastrous.

As for the travelling, these players are full time professionals. If they have to go to Greece on a Thursday night and play again on a Sunday, them's the breaks. They have to go to Bulgaria next week, then come back and get a result on Saturday, same recovery timeframe. So if it's good enough next week, it's good enough after Christmas too.
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #25: Nov 23, 2014 06:52:39 pm
      We have to draw on Wednesday assuming Basel lose. We then need to beat Basel at home by any score not by 2 goals. That's a big difference.
      The way to secure a draw which isn't rodgers' style is to play 3 at the back, and have Lucas and can holdin. Gerrard and Johnsin have to sit this one out
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #26: Nov 26, 2014 10:52:47 pm
      Well there we go then, a one off home game to decide who progresses to the knockout stage. If I was offered that knowing we'd put in 5 awful performances before it then I certainly would have taken it.

Still fancy us to go through.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #27: Nov 26, 2014 10:59:33 pm
      Well there we go then, a one off home game to decide who progresses to the knockout stage. If I was offered that knowing we'd put in 5 awful performances before it then I certainly would have taken it.

In an odd way this may actually work in our favour. Knowing how much is on the line, I'm hoping Anfield crowd will be in full song and give the players a much needed lift. Plus the players will not want to fail at home. One goal, that's all we need and taking slim positives from tonight, we scored two away.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #28: Nov 26, 2014 11:01:24 pm

Will he a hard fought win if we go through and we'll need to score at least two goals cus in Brendan's words I can categorically say we are 100% going to concede a goal.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #29: Nov 26, 2014 11:06:16 pm
      Can we get there? Yes. Will we get there? Yes.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #30: Nov 26, 2014 11:08:04 pm
      Madrid's win tonight keeps us involved and if you have to play a decider then it's best to be at home.

I think Basel only need a draw don't they so on that basis IMO it could equally go any of the three ways I'd give us a 33.3% chance.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #31: Nov 26, 2014 11:14:41 pm
      Win the next game.

As simple and as hard as that.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #32: Nov 26, 2014 11:16:18 pm
      Can we get there? Yes. Will we get there? Yes.

Do we deserve to get there?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #33: Nov 26, 2014 11:24:49 pm
      Ok I'm going to throw something out there.

What are our chances of winning the Champions League?---are we going to beat Real Madrid, or Bayern, or Barca, or even Chelsea etc?  Of course not.  No chance.

And yet, the most we can hope for at this moment is coming in second in our group, which means we'll be facing one of the heavy hitters even if we DO make it to the knockout round.  I think it's safe to say that considering how we're playing right now, we have extremely low chances of getting out of even the first knockout round.  And then that's it.  CL season over for us.  Our only hope of getting back to CL is to finish in the top four.

But the odds of us finishing in the top four are similarly fading away.  We're going to be without Sturridge for at least another month.  Rodgers isn't going to drop Gerrard or Johnson.  We'll be lucky to finish in the top half of the table at this rate.

But.  There is one more option.

What if we finish third in the group?  Ludogorets will likely lose away to Madrid.  If we don't beat Basel then we'll finish third.  That means we "drop" to the Europa League.  BUT, this season, the winner of the Europa League gets automatic qualification for next season's CL. 

What does everyone think about that?  there really is no glory in moving to the knockout rounds just to get spanked by Barca or Bayern 10-0.  But at least if we make it to the Europa League, we can put aside finishing top four in the league and just put all our eggs in the Europa League basket, bring in some reinforcements in January, and go all out to win the competition.  We'll have a much better chance of winning it than of moving on in the CL.

That way we can still qualify for CL, and re-group in the summer.

Thoughts?

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #34: Nov 26, 2014 11:57:34 pm

What are our chances of winning the Champions League?---are we going to beat Real Madrid, or Bayern, or Barca, or even Chelsea etc?  Of course not.  No chance.

And yet, the most we can hope for at this moment is coming in second in our group, which means we'll be facing one of the heavy hitters even if we DO make it to the knockout round.  I think it's safe to say that considering how we're playing right now, we have extremely low chances of getting out of even the first knockout round.  And then that's it.  CL season over for us.  Our only hope of getting back to CL is to finish in the top four.

But the odds of us finishing in the top four are similarly fading away.  We're going to be without Sturridge for at least another month.  Rodgers isn't going to drop Gerrard or Johnson.  We'll be lucky to finish in the top half of the table at this rate.

What if we finish third in the group?  Ludogorets will likely lose away to Madrid.  If we don't beat Basel then we'll finish third.  That means we "drop" to the Europa League.  BUT, this season, the winner of the Europa League gets automatic qualification for next season's CL. 

What does everyone think about that?  there really is no glory in moving to the knockout rounds just to get spanked by Barca or Bayern 10-0.  But at least if we make it to the Europa League, we can put aside finishing top four in the league and just put all our eggs in the Europa League basket, bring in some reinforcements in January, and go all out to win the competition.  We'll have a much better chance of winning it than of moving on in the CL.

Thoughts?

Already suggested this Fed but can't see us getting anywhere in the Europa when you consider Brendan's record in knockout competitions. It is probably our best chance, but I don't see us realistically having a chance.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #35: Nov 27, 2014 12:59:01 am
      We can absolutely qualify from this group, but we need to show more courage. It's what Brendan likes to speak about, but I'm yet to see it this season.

Only issue is once we are at the qualifying stage. It'd be nice to face a Porto or a Dortmund. Worst case is having to face Barcelona. Dawn of the Suarez.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #36: Nov 27, 2014 04:29:29 am

Thoughts?

F**k that.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 807 posts | 112 
      Reply #37: Nov 27, 2014 04:33:36 am
      It'd be nice to face a Porto or a Dortmund.

or Leverkusen
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #38: Nov 27, 2014 05:09:35 am
      We'll have a much better chance of winning it than of moving on in the CL. That way we can still qualify for CL, and re-group in the summer.

Thoughts?

:lmao: :lmao: Better??!! really? Cant beat Ludogrrrrtssss but yeah better chances of beating Napoli, Sevilla, Dynamo et al. We might make it to the quarters with performances like that. We've been close to good on ONE DAY this season - Aug 31, against a team who have been equally woeful ever since they sold their star man.

My thoughts? First think about winning at home this weekend and then we can contemplate winning on Dec 9
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #39: Nov 27, 2014 07:36:15 pm
      Can see a Steven Gerrard "Olympiakos" special coming up. Then Barca in the knockout stages. It's rigged I tell ya....we'll knock them and Luis out!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #40: Nov 27, 2014 07:43:37 pm
      Can see a Steven Gerrard "Olympiakos" special coming up. Then Barca in the knockout stages. It's rigged I tell ya....we'll knock them and Luis out!

Barca in the last 16, then Arsenal in the quarters (knock out Sanchez and co), Chelsea semi's and finally, Real Madrid in the final and win :D Easy!!!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #41: Nov 27, 2014 07:47:51 pm
      Barca in the last 16, then Arsenal in the quarters (knock out Sanchez and co), Chelsea semi's and finally, Real Madrid in the final and win :D Easy!!!!

Now we're talking...That's a million miles off bud but just thinking about it makes me want to do a Coutinho.  :D

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/631C1B91B71149493400538591232_35780b23eb5.1.1.16416677228566178984.mp4?versionId=09n_zJ4z1AyNb89XNTBU54Pyui4gbkYe
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #42: Nov 27, 2014 08:22:55 pm
      Well get there sort out our defence and go on and win it...
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #43: Nov 27, 2014 08:24:03 pm
      I think we will beat Basle and progress, don't think we have what it takes to go much further though. If we bring someone in at Christmas and Sturridge manages to stay fit you never know.
      Redangel

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #44: Nov 27, 2014 08:42:04 pm
      Well get there sort out our defence and go on and win it...

God, I so admire your optimism!

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #45: Nov 27, 2014 09:35:55 pm
      Ancelotti today came  out with the opinion that we wont.

I saw last few minutes of the Basel - Madrid game on a Fox Sports USA feed  and Basel  were really fizzing it about trying to get an equaliser.

Basel will be tougher than Ludo. 
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #46: Nov 27, 2014 10:00:06 pm
      I think we will beat Basle and progress, don't think we have what it takes to go much further though. If we bring someone in at Christmas and Sturridge manages to stay fit you never know.

Same here mate, I reckon we will make it to the next round and as you say, things can change in football. The return of Studge, perhaps bringing the boy Origi in in the window and fingers crossed a gradual return to form and you never know. Spect last 16 would be it though.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #47: Nov 27, 2014 10:17:42 pm

Don't much care at this stage. Being in the Champions League come Feb(?) will be a huge boost for our transfer prospects in January. Good luck finding anyone half decent if we're not in the competition and don't look like being in it next year either. Plus the last thing we want is to bring Origi to the club right now with all the pressure that would put on him as the 'saviour' of our season never mind the fact he's un-tried and un-tested at this level and could find himself completely out of his depth. We've taken enough gambles on 'up and coming' players for one year, thank you very much. That's what's put us in the deep and stinky in the first place.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #48: Nov 27, 2014 10:32:21 pm
      Don't much care at this stage. Being in the Champions League come Feb(?) will be a huge boost for our transfer prospects in January. Good luck finding anyone half decent if we're not in the competition and don't look like being in it next year either. Plus the last thing we want is to bring Origi to the club right now with all the pressure that would put on him as the 'saviour' of our season never mind the fact he's un-tried and un-tested at this level and could find himself completely out of his depth. We've taken enough gambles on 'up and coming' players for one year, thank you very much. That's what's put us in the deep and stinky in the first place.

I agree about Origi, but it may be a case of beggars can't be choosy when it comes to the crunch.

bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #49: Nov 27, 2014 10:42:13 pm
      Well, at least we're still in with a shout of getting through.
      And have another big CL game to look forward to vs. Basel, at home.
      Can we get there? Course, it's us or them :)
      Will we? I wouldn't be betting my house, but I really hope we do.
      Be great to have the last 16 to look forward to. Lot can change between the Basel game, and the knockout phase in Feb.
      We'll be rockin by then :)
      LFC vs Barca ... ahh, Luis back at Anfield ... the good old days :)
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #50: Nov 27, 2014 11:19:12 pm
      Looking forward to another winner takes all match at Anfield,  shades of olympiakos all over again! 
      Hope the crowd play their part again.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #51: Nov 27, 2014 11:53:07 pm
      Based on this seasons form? No.

Pull off another big result when it matters in the Champions League? Every possibility.

We don't have the best of records against Basle over recent meetings, and if I'm honest, I think there is a good chance we wont be making it to the next round and if we are lucky enough to then I doubt we will go much further.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #52: Nov 28, 2014 02:06:22 am
      whats the point? we'll go out in the next round WHOEVER we play!!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #53: Nov 28, 2014 02:47:55 pm
      We'll go through.

But then anybody left in will knock us out over two legs.

Sad really because it wasn't that long ago I fancied a Liverpool side to beat anybody over two legs - Rafa's era.

Now I'm sure every team left in it are hoping they draw us.

It's even more sad knowing if we had our team from January-May this year, we would have beaten anybody.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #54: Nov 28, 2014 03:10:26 pm

Ask us again after we've beaten Basel, and then bought 11 new players in the transfer window. <ahem>

We'll go through.

Not forgetting we would be playing group winners.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #55: Nov 28, 2014 03:30:16 pm
      Most will think I have come from another planet (and I am aware of the flak to come  8)) but I seriously think we can do well in this competition if we get past Basel. We usually improve as the season goes on (I know it's tough at the mo,
      waits for more shrapnel
      :f_wah:) and not one team will relish playing us. Just an opinion and fingers crossed.

I'm sure Real, Bayern and Barca are bricking at the prospect.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #56: Nov 29, 2014 11:55:56 am
      I'm sure Real, Bayern and Barca are bricking at the prospect.

As it stands we would avoid Real and Barca in the next round (IF we managed to beat Basel).

Atletico, Leverkusen, Dortmund, Munich, PSG, Porto would be the potential opponents.  It's not beyond the realms of possibility that by February we might be playing sufficiently well to give at least one or two of those sides a game.  Second leg away would be a nightmare though.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #57: Nov 29, 2014 12:35:58 pm
      2004/05 everyone said we had no chance of qualifying when it went to the final game against Olympiakos - especially when they went one up, requiring us to score three goals in the second half. We won. Everyone said we'd lose to Leverkusen - especially after the F**k up in the first leg that gave them the away goal. We still won though. Everyone said we stood no chance against Juventus - especially after the F**k up in the first leg that gave them the away goal. We won that one too. Everyone said we'd get battered by Chelsea. Yeah we won that as well. Everyone said our luck had run out by the time Milan came round - especially when we were three nil down. Oh but we won that one.

So of course we'll F***ing qualify. And then when the next round comes round, we'll F**k win that one as well. F**k the bollocks of "oh but Barca/Bayern/some other poncy foreign c**t will humiliate us in the next round". This is Liverpool Football Club. The biggest club in the world. Beat Basel (probably the hard way knowing us) and then go on to win the whole thing.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #58: Dec 01, 2014 10:53:52 am
      Quote from HamannsTheMan
      We'll go through.

Sad really because I'm sure every team left in it are hoping they draw us.

Once upon a time, this bloke did.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/messi-we-wanted-liverpool

Where's that golf club handy??
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #59: Dec 02, 2014 12:57:04 pm
      2004/05 everyone said we had no chance of qualifying when it went to the final game against Olympiakos - especially when they went one up, requiring us to score three goals in the second half. We won. Everyone said we'd lose to Leverkusen - especially after the F**k up in the first leg that gave them the away goal. We still won though. Everyone said we stood no chance against Juventus - especially after the F**k up in the first leg that gave them the away goal. We won that one too. Everyone said we'd get battered by Chelsea. Yeah we won that as well. Everyone said our luck had run out by the time Milan came round - especially when we were three nil down. Oh but we won that one.
      Ah, yes.. I remember that well - I had £25 on us at 33/1. Won't be betting us this time round tho. 
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #60: Dec 02, 2014 01:26:44 pm
      Ah, yes.. I remember that well - I had £25 on us at 33/1. Won't be betting us this time round tho. 

That because we had a better manager,personnel & mentality than this current set up? ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #61: Dec 02, 2014 11:10:57 pm

Pity because I'd guess we're at longer odds than 33/1 this time round. Could of won yourself a nice few quid.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #62: Dec 03, 2014 07:39:42 am
      Its going to be about confidence and last nights result is another step up.

Quick Reply