Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Champions League Knockout phase - Can we get there?

Read 9126 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Re: Champions League Knockout phase - Can we get there?
      Reply #46: Nov 27, 2014 10:00:06 pm
      I think we will beat Basle and progress, don't think we have what it takes to go much further though. If we bring someone in at Christmas and Sturridge manages to stay fit you never know.

Same here mate, I reckon we will make it to the next round and as you say, things can change in football. The return of Studge, perhaps bringing the boy Origi in in the window and fingers crossed a gradual return to form and you never know. Spect last 16 would be it though.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #47: Nov 27, 2014 10:17:42 pm
      I think we will beat Basle and progress, don't think we have what it takes to go much further though. If we bring someone in at Christmas and Sturridge manages to stay fit you never know.

Don't much care at this stage. Being in the Champions League come Feb(?) will be a huge boost for our transfer prospects in January. Good luck finding anyone half decent if we're not in the competition and don't look like being in it next year either. Plus the last thing we want is to bring Origi to the club right now with all the pressure that would put on him as the 'saviour' of our season never mind the fact he's un-tried and un-tested at this level and could find himself completely out of his depth. We've taken enough gambles on 'up and coming' players for one year, thank you very much. That's what's put us in the deep and stinky in the first place.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #48: Nov 27, 2014 10:32:21 pm
      Don't much care at this stage. Being in the Champions League come Feb(?) will be a huge boost for our transfer prospects in January. Good luck finding anyone half decent if we're not in the competition and don't look like being in it next year either. Plus the last thing we want is to bring Origi to the club right now with all the pressure that would put on him as the 'saviour' of our season never mind the fact he's un-tried and un-tested at this level and could find himself completely out of his depth. We've taken enough gambles on 'up and coming' players for one year, thank you very much. That's what's put us in the deep and stinky in the first place.

I agree about Origi, but it may be a case of beggars can't be choosy when it comes to the crunch.

bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #49: Nov 27, 2014 10:42:13 pm
      Well, at least we're still in with a shout of getting through.
      And have another big CL game to look forward to vs. Basel, at home.
      Can we get there? Course, it's us or them :)
      Will we? I wouldn't be betting my house, but I really hope we do.
      Be great to have the last 16 to look forward to. Lot can change between the Basel game, and the knockout phase in Feb.
      We'll be rockin by then :)
      LFC vs Barca ... ahh, Luis back at Anfield ... the good old days :)
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #50: Nov 27, 2014 11:19:12 pm
      Looking forward to another winner takes all match at Anfield,  shades of olympiakos all over again! 
      Hope the crowd play their part again.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #51: Nov 27, 2014 11:53:07 pm
      Based on this seasons form? No.

Pull off another big result when it matters in the Champions League? Every possibility.

We don't have the best of records against Basle over recent meetings, and if I'm honest, I think there is a good chance we wont be making it to the next round and if we are lucky enough to then I doubt we will go much further.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #52: Nov 28, 2014 02:06:22 am
      whats the point? we'll go out in the next round WHOEVER we play!!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #53: Nov 28, 2014 02:47:55 pm
      We'll go through.

But then anybody left in will knock us out over two legs.

Sad really because it wasn't that long ago I fancied a Liverpool side to beat anybody over two legs - Rafa's era.

Now I'm sure every team left in it are hoping they draw us.

It's even more sad knowing if we had our team from January-May this year, we would have beaten anybody.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #54: Nov 28, 2014 03:10:26 pm
      Ok I'm going to throw something out there.

What are our chances of winning the Champions League?---are we going to beat Real Madrid, or Bayern, or Barca, or even Chelsea etc?  Of course not.  No chance.

Ask us again after we've beaten Basel, and then bought 11 new players in the transfer window. <ahem>

We'll go through.

Not forgetting we would be playing group winners.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #55: Nov 28, 2014 03:30:16 pm
      Most will think I have come from another planet (and I am aware of the flak to come  8)) but I seriously think we can do well in this competition if we get past Basel. We usually improve as the season goes on (I know it's tough at the mo,
      waits for more shrapnel
      :f_wah:) and not one team will relish playing us. Just an opinion and fingers crossed.

I'm sure Real, Bayern and Barca are bricking at the prospect.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #56: Nov 29, 2014 11:55:56 am
      I'm sure Real, Bayern and Barca are bricking at the prospect.

As it stands we would avoid Real and Barca in the next round (IF we managed to beat Basel).

Atletico, Leverkusen, Dortmund, Munich, PSG, Porto would be the potential opponents.  It's not beyond the realms of possibility that by February we might be playing sufficiently well to give at least one or two of those sides a game.  Second leg away would be a nightmare though.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #57: Nov 29, 2014 12:35:58 pm
      2004/05 everyone said we had no chance of qualifying when it went to the final game against Olympiakos - especially when they went one up, requiring us to score three goals in the second half. We won. Everyone said we'd lose to Leverkusen - especially after the F**k up in the first leg that gave them the away goal. We still won though. Everyone said we stood no chance against Juventus - especially after the F**k up in the first leg that gave them the away goal. We won that one too. Everyone said we'd get battered by Chelsea. Yeah we won that as well. Everyone said our luck had run out by the time Milan came round - especially when we were three nil down. Oh but we won that one.

So of course we'll F***ing qualify. And then when the next round comes round, we'll F**k win that one as well. F**k the bollocks of "oh but Barca/Bayern/some other poncy foreign c**t will humiliate us in the next round". This is Liverpool Football Club. The biggest club in the world. Beat Basel (probably the hard way knowing us) and then go on to win the whole thing.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #58: Dec 01, 2014 10:53:52 am
      Quote from HamannsTheMan
      We'll go through.

Sad really because I'm sure every team left in it are hoping they draw us.

Once upon a time, this bloke did.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/messi-we-wanted-liverpool

Where's that golf club handy??
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #59: Dec 02, 2014 12:57:04 pm
      2004/05 everyone said we had no chance of qualifying when it went to the final game against Olympiakos - especially when they went one up, requiring us to score three goals in the second half. We won. Everyone said we'd lose to Leverkusen - especially after the F**k up in the first leg that gave them the away goal. We still won though. Everyone said we stood no chance against Juventus - especially after the F**k up in the first leg that gave them the away goal. We won that one too. Everyone said we'd get battered by Chelsea. Yeah we won that as well. Everyone said our luck had run out by the time Milan came round - especially when we were three nil down. Oh but we won that one.
      Ah, yes.. I remember that well - I had £25 on us at 33/1. Won't be betting us this time round tho. 
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #60: Dec 02, 2014 01:26:44 pm
      Ah, yes.. I remember that well - I had £25 on us at 33/1. Won't be betting us this time round tho. 

That because we had a better manager,personnel & mentality than this current set up? ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #61: Dec 02, 2014 11:10:57 pm

Pity because I'd guess we're at longer odds than 33/1 this time round. Could of won yourself a nice few quid.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #62: Dec 03, 2014 07:39:42 am
      Its going to be about confidence and last nights result is another step up.

Quick Reply