Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Are our players nasty enough?

Read 4541 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: Are our players nasty enough?
      Reply #46: Nov 21, 2014 11:48:14 am
      ;D Mourinho was right about Barcelona - they were a team of cheats. So were Madrid but Barca were much more sneaky about it, plus they always tried to maintain a moral high ground because of their passing play. Nasty in this context refers to gamesmanship.

http://worldsoccertalk.com/2012/04/06/will-barcelona-be-remembered-as-champions-or-cheats/

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/real-madrid’s-jose-mourinho-is-right-barcelona-are-diving-cheats/

Couldn't give a sh*t about what Mourinho says about anything so won't bother reading any of that.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #47: Nov 21, 2014 12:02:50 pm
      That's your perogative mate but he clearly knows more than you or I about the game so I'm always happy to educate myself further whatever my views of him as an individual are.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #48: Nov 21, 2014 12:06:59 pm
      When I think of our squad, 2 players stand out for me as being able to dominate the midfield: Henderson (on form) and Can.
      Both are good on the ball, Henderson is a decent passer and is excellent at pressing (when on form), and Can has the ability and strength to plow a furrow through the opposition midfield.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #49: Nov 21, 2014 01:13:55 pm
      The other question we aren't producing these dominant kinds of players through our academy.

We seem to churn out smaller technical players by the handful.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #50: Nov 21, 2014 01:21:39 pm
      The other question we aren't producing these dominant kinds of players through our academy.

That's what Brendan likes.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #51: Nov 21, 2014 02:29:45 pm

I'm pretty sure that comes from Rafa's time in charge, and the people he put in place at the academy, although having said that Ibe is a beast of a lad.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #52: Nov 21, 2014 02:36:05 pm
      Big, strong, athletic and can really play.
      Is this what we're missing, or can Can become a similar type player for us?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqIlhThByvQ
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #53: Nov 21, 2014 04:01:08 pm
      I'm pretty sure that comes from Rafa's time in charge, and the people he put in place at the academy, although having said that Ibe is a beast of a lad.

He is. But as I remember Rafa was a believer in physicality and brought through the likes of Wisdom, Kelly, Plessis etc.

I wonder whether we have tried to adopt the Barca model just as it is going out of vogue.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #54: Nov 21, 2014 04:24:20 pm
      He is. But as I remember Rafa was a believer in physicality and brought through the likes of Wisdom, Kelly, Plessis etc.

I wonder whether we have tried to adopt the Barca model just as it is going out of vogue.

Perhaps, as previously discussed, he was a believer in balance?

For me, chelsea have a nearly perfect balance, and it's just a shame that Mourinho uses them so ineffectively relative to the footballing talent he oversees. By that I mean his penchant for sitting deep and playing counter attacking football almost exclusively, when in my opinion, with the players he has, he should be dominating games a lot more.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #55: Nov 21, 2014 04:38:50 pm
      Perhaps, as previously discussed, he was a believer in balance?

For me, chelsea have a nearly perfect balance, and it's just a shame that Mourinho uses them so ineffectively relative to the footballing talent he oversees. By that I mean his penchant for sitting deep and playing counter attacking football almost exclusively, when in my opinion, with the players he has, he should be dominating games a lot more.

Yes, I think part of that came from his experience though which Brendan is accruing.

rafa considered and rejected the 1433 for the 14231 shortly after arriving and made sure to incrrease the physicality and height in the team when we was able to - bringing in the like of Rein, Sissoko, Crouch in 2005. I think that Brendan is undergoing a similar process now.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #56: Nov 21, 2014 04:48:45 pm
      Yes, I think part of that came from his experience though which Brendan is accruing.

rafa considered and rejected the 1433 for the 14231 shortly after arriving and made sure to incrrease the physicality and height in the team when we was able to - bringing in the like of Rein, Sissoko, Crouch in 2005. I think that Brendan is undergoing a similar process now.

True.
      My main concern is whether BR can learn from his mistakes.
      He appears a little hit and miss in that department at the moment, but I think he's intelligent enough to improve, and not as egotistical as some imagine him to be.
      Naive is a word that sometimes comes to mind when dissecting the various pitfalls he has to navigate through as manager of a top club.

Quick Reply