Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

May as well be the first...I think some of our signings will come VERY good.

Read 19845 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Re: May as well be the first...I think some of our signings will come VERY good.
      Reply #92: Nov 21, 2014 10:30:39 am
      It isn't a case of our players coming good and some of our fans looking silly. We are allowed to discuss their form since they signed for Liverpool and anybody who has watched us this season will agree they haven't met the standard. Doesn't mean they won't though - it is far too early to tell.

We have over spent though. Yes the players we signed might well become good players for Liverpool but Chelsea sign Fabregas for 27m and we sign Lallana for 25m. Who got the better deal? If Lallana was Spanish playing for Sevilla, we would have got him for about 10m.  As much as I like and rate Lallana, Fabregas is on a different planet to him.

Talking about those we signed...

Lovren was a solid defender at Southampton but he had a proper DM in Wanyama in front of him. He had Fonte next to him and a goalie who doesn't drop or miss every cross. At Liverpool, he has Mignolet behind him who doesn't command his box or bring any confidence to the back four, Skrtel alongside him who is very hit and miss...one day brilliant the next a 14 year old schoolboy, and Gerrard in front of him who doesn't protect him. So Lovren is very exposed at the minute.

Moreno. Plenty of pace and energy about him. Not bad on the ball either. I've said it before but he reminds me of a puppy, a little excited dog that's just chewed a bag of smarties. Once he gains a bit experience and composure he will be a fine player I have no doubt about that. I'd give Enrique the nod for now though.

Manquillo. I've seen enough to state he isn't and will never be good enough for Liverpool. Not a bad backup player I suppose but I don't think he has the quality to be Liverpools first choice RB.

Can. Big powerhouse midfielder. Has been arguably the most impressive from our new signings so far.  Restricted to game time and expressing himself because Stevie is in the team. Has shown enough potential to suggest he will be a good player though.

Lallana. As others have stated he missed pre-season and the start of the season due to injury. He is a fine player though and fits in with the way we play. I think he has played out of position for us so far though. Stop playing him out wide and get him in the middle where he can dictate the game and put his stamp on it.

Lambert. Feel he has been unfairly criticised. The guy has hardly played for us. I believe if he had been given the same game time as others then he would have a few goals to his name and we would be further up the league.

Origi. No idea. Haven't seen him play for us. Why sign somebody and loan them back out. What a load of bollocks.

Balotelli. He came with a supserstar status and ive seen nothing of the sort. Wouldn't cry if we sold him in January. His work rate is poor and he doesn't look like he can be arsed. That said, Brendan hasn't played to his strengths and insists on playing him as the lone striker which hasn't worked for two months now. Hopefully when Danny gets fit (if he ever does) they will form a deadly partnership.  I've seen nothing from Balotelli (not only at Liverpool but his previous clubs too) to suggest he is world class though.  16m wasn't a bargain. We overpaid.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: May as well be the first...I think some of our signings will come VERY good.
      Reply #93: Nov 21, 2014 10:46:57 am
      Would I like them to spend more money in the transfer market, yes and no. Yes because we all dream of being able to sign the very best players but NO if it risked the club's financial stability. Hope that clears things up a bit.
      No because, if you check back, I didn't suggest that they spent more; neither did I ask you if you would like them to spend more.

What I said (and have been saying) is that their policy of not competing for the very best because they won't pay "inflated" fees or wages, needs to change. You can [we could] buy one, two, three, top quality players; players who would improve the team, without spending more than what we spent last Summer. 'More' doesn't come into it.  ;)

Instead of sticking strictly to a dogma of young, easy paid, players 'with potential'; they could have and perhaps should have looked to add proven, experienced, quality. We had the money to set aside the policy for at least one season and kick on but instead we chose to stick to easy paid 'potential' - we chose to 'consolidate'. Far from competing for the very best, we wimped out, yet again. And that, for me, is where money was 'wasted'.

I've had my say and hopefully some folk will see the merit in it - if they don't then sure there's always next year; eh?

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #94: Nov 22, 2014 12:17:46 pm
      You're completely dismissive of Southampton, with an 11 point lead on us after 11 games
      But they've had to re-jig their whole defence and signed 7 new players because they lost so many 'starters' [not just one] Luke. Those new players will need time to gel; time to settle in before we see the best of them. No.. wait...

Joking aside - the Saints new signings [mostly older, experienced, players - maybe that's the trick?] have fitted in seamlessly and barring numerous injuries, I agree that there's no reason to write Southampton off easily.
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #95: Nov 26, 2014 01:20:21 am
      Practically all of these signings have either proved themselves in their previous teams or have shown enough to warrant the label of "promise",or an investment worth making.That being said,they have all come into a team various levels below the standard of last season,and it´s always hard to show your best in a poor team,then again it´s also easy to show off in a poor team if you´re in form,so... I guess it depends on your position,like the defense should always be sharp but a striker that gets no reception...My breakdown:

Dejan Lovren: The guy has quality and consistency and has shown it.Currently not in good shape but neither is anyone in the back 4.I believe he will find his form and become a solid defender,only because I don´t think quality just vanishes by switching teams, although there is the rare case...Then again he is a CB,a position where you really don´t rely that much on other players to make your mark.Wether the communication between the back 4 results in a leak of goals or a wall is something else,but a good CB should make himself be noted by just getting the ball out of the box,regardless of how competent his partner is or not.

Alberto Moreno: Haven´t followed him from before,so the only point of reference I have aside from the Tottenham game is his  FIFA stats which are awesome!Looks very promising,a fast,attack-minded sharp youngster.Showed in that game what he can do, nothing much to say about his other performances,but that´s more down to the poor team level in general.I see him as the natural replacement for Jose Enrique,just hope he doesn´t fizzle like him.Too many years ahead of him to think that will happen anytime soon hopefully.

Manquillo: Haven´t seen anything noteworthy about him so far,we´ll have to see but I can at least say I´d rather have him start over Glen Johnson.Really can´t wait for Flanagan to come back.He could stay as his competition,but again,hasn´t caught my eye yet.

Emre Can: The quality is there,but it will take some time for him to settle into the midfield.He was very lively after his first goal against Chelsea,and I´ll expect more youthfull and energetic performances like this.He has quality touch and should make his mark this season if given the chance.

Adam Lallana: a bit overpriced but I´m getting used to that with Liverpool transfers.Has tested quality and should flourish in midfield.I´d like to think his slow start was due to his injury,but we´ll see.No reason why he shouldn´t rise to Saints level with us.

Markovic: Have no background on him but stats and the word say he should be phenomenal.More of a gamble but with his price tag he better blossom.50/50.

Origi: Boy´s got goal,he´ll do his part.20 a season?Maybe not but he could pitch in around 10,depending on playtime.

Rickie Lambert: A solid,serious player with a proven track record.Would have loved to have gotten him at 28-30,but he´s still got juice.Problem is,he won´t get the same game time and without a solid team to deliver to him it will be difficult to prove himself on Saints level.I would anyhow start him up front until Sturridge comes back,no question.And when Daniel returns,we could entertain the idea of having them both on,could be,somehow.At the very least have him as a sub to finish games (not the last 10 min of games mind you  :P) and as an alternate striker.Let´s get the best of the rest he has to offer us,he loves Liverpool and he´ll work his ar** off for the club,plus he looks a gentleman on the pitch,serious,calm,quiet,professional,a true example of a Red,the stark opposite of...

Mario Balotelli: (#Shankly rolls in his grave) I enjoyed hating this player when he was all the way in Manchester,it was fun to watch a flamboyant,inconsistent,childish,impulsive,unprofessional misfiring megalomaniac clown,with his antics and missed chances spotted by occasional quality goals,quite the character.Not someone you would want on your team of course,much less a traditional,respectable,serious club like... oh no we didn´t  :o.I´m not happy with his predictable poor form because it proved me and every other logical person who knows 2 things about football right,but because it might rush his exit in January,minimizing the ignominy that has befallen all of us."Really",we´ll all be hopefully saying in January,"let´s not speak of this again,ever."

Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #96: Nov 26, 2014 07:20:27 am
      Said it in the summer, I'll say it right now - we bought the right type of player if not the right name. We went out and strengthened our weakest areas as well. As well as rounding out the squad on the whole.

We bought potentially great players. We bought players in the prime of their career. We bought British. We bought foreign. We even went out and bought a, so called, world star for a bargain price. What was there not to like?

But as I've said, the actual player we've bought have by and large disappointed. Is this another case of us buying players from average clubs after they've had a decent season? We've done it for years so it's nothing new if we have.

Lambert. I was pleased with the signing and felt that as a fella coming off the bench or starting the odd game when the first choice forwards needed a "rest" he'd be more than adequate. He was an improvement on Aspas surely? And for four million quid, you can't really go wrong. Unfortunately for Rickie though he's done F**k all to prove he's an improvement on Aspas.

Lallana. I don't rate him and 25 million quid is about 30 million more than I'd of paid for him. He's got good feet fair enough but he's too fancy. Always trying to do step overs or drop the shoulder or drag it back and losing it. Sometimes just doing the simple thing is good enough. When it comes off for him he looks boss, I just don't think it comes off enough to warrant a 25 million price tag or a starting place in the team. For me he's a lesser version of either Benayoun or Garcia.

Can. Like the look of him and think he'll prove to be the best of our signings this summer. Big, strong, powerful, comfortable running with the ball, puts himself about and is prepared to shoot from distance. Bit like Henderson only with more self belief. Those two in the middle together could be the perfect foil for each other and we could finally return to the good old days of two proper central midfielders without having to find daft names for the position they play.

Markovic. Never heard of him when we bought him although I remember somebody on here mentioning him as the player he'd most like us to sign. (I suggested Lambert in the same discussion). Came with a big reputation for one so young. What I believed we were getting was a pacey winger who went past people like they weren't there. Hasn't quite materialised that way though. He's had flashes of promise but then really lets himself down in the final third which is where you'd want your winger to be at their best. I always say though, you can see within the first four or five games if a player has something about them, Markovic does. I just don't think it'll be at Liverpool. His price tag is the biggest of the lot though because for a potential superstar to whack 20 million on him is a huge gamble. If he'd cost about 10 million then I doubt many would actually be complaining.

Lovren. I was chuffed when we got him. Last year he was outstanding for Southampton and I thought we'd got a proper centre half in alongside Skrtel. (as some will know, I don't see the hype with Sakho) Two proper defenders who defend first think later. But for whatever reason Lovren looks a shell of the player he was at St Mary's. And 20 mill on a centre half, you expect him to at least be able to defend. But he has shown some promise. If we can get a settled back line, maybe two or three clean sheets on the run then his confidence may return. Still hoping he'll come good but if carries on like this for the season then he'll be out in the summer.

Manquillo. Again I'd never heard of him. Looks like there's a player in there somewhere and is an upgrade on Johnson. Then again right now Tony Hibbert would be an upgrade on Johnson. However I'd rather of kept both Wisdom and Kelly and sold Johnson than brought Manquillo in. For me he was a signing, even on loan, that we didn't need to make.

Moreno. Unsurprisingly I'd never heard of him either. But the way the forum was going on when we were linked with him had me excited for his arrival. And the fact that we chased him for the majority of the summer showed we desperately wanted him - so he must have something right? He has. He's a F***ing beast going forward but does have the odd lapse of concentration at the back. It's only the odd lapse mind, it's not like he's making mistakes every time somebody attacks him. The City game where his mistake cost us the first, was the only mistake he made all game. I agree with Mick in the opening post that I think he'll move away from the full back position eventually. Rather than a young Evra, he strikes me more like a John Arne Riise - with more pace. 12 mill, good signing - especially if he's here for the long haul and doesn't start whinging to F**k off back to Spain after a year or two.

Balotelli. Never rated him, never wanted him. Waste of 16 million. I've said many times that I'd rather of went into the season seeing a kid on the bench than Balotelli. January 1st comes round we should flog him - even if it means we have to pay the other club to take him off our hands. Anything to get shut of him.

Origi. Never heard of him either till the World Cup then he was suddenly this superstar in the making cos he scored one goal in Brazil. For the rest of the tournament he looked quite poor to be honest. But I think that goes for most of Belgium who failed to live up to the hype surrounding them. He's meant to be doing alright in France, but so did Djibril Cisse. Can't say one way or the other yet if he's a good signing or another 10 million wasted because he hasn't put on a Liverpool shirt.

So for me, we have wasted a fair few quid. 25 for Lallana, 16 for Balotelli, whatever we're paying for Manquillo (even loans have fees), 4 million on Lambert and potentially 50 million on Markovic, Lovren and Origi.

Ah well, it's only money.

Your assesment of Lambert and Lallana is passionately off,but I agree generally with your rating of the other players.Although we really were until last game wasting those 4M on Lambert.Have to start him and we´ll see a return,certain.Sad to think that Balotelli (#Fail) not only was a waste of 16M,but having him play all those games blocked all the possible goals Rickie or Borini would have scored in those 10 games,which is safe to say would be more than,umm,zero,thus negating the investment in them.He´s a financial black hole.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #97: Dec 03, 2014 10:32:14 am
      Here's my current league table of our Summer signings in terms of how well they've done so far. I've included a percentage success which I've meticulously worked out on the back of a Variety crunchy nut cornflakes box. 100% would be Lionel Messi on a free on wages of £450 per week, the other end of the scale is Alberto Aquilani. Here goes:

1. Rickie Lambert (56.8% success). Cost the best part of f*ck all and is slower than me, but is doing a good job while we have nobody else.

2. Emre Can. (55.6% success). Recently knocked off the top spot by Rickies resurgence, the German is obviously worth more than we paid for him and will become a player.

3. Origi (52.44% success). Gets into third simply because he hasn't done anything wrong in a red shirt so far, a bit sad that but there it is.

4. Xavier Manquillo (51.38% success). A good young full back, and a rarity in that he's one who places emphasis on defending rather than bombing.

5. Adam Lallana (48.76% success). A good goal last night and an assist last time played might suggest he is unlucky to be down in 5th. At times though is infuriatingly lightweight and so far looks a little overpriced, albeit obviously talented.

6. Alberto Moreno (47.92% success). Runs like a gazelle and defends like one. I can't make my mind up about this kid, but there is definately a player in there somewhere. Whether that player is a Liverpool one, or even which position exactly it would play best in, I'm unsure.

7. Lazar Markovic (41.22% success). Lazar only scores as high as this even, because he's shown the odd flash of something here and there. Even then you've needed to watch in super slow-mo in order to see it, but fortunately I've crafted a device out of an old washing up liquid bottle so I know it's there.

8. Dejan Lovren. (31.03% success). The future club captain will in years to come be recognised as showing great character for coming through this difficult period. So far he's been garbage, fortunately he will get much better. In order to be as sure of this as I am, you need to have my extremely devious player predictor, made from an old pack of cards, a magnetic pin and a dried up cornflake. If you haven't got one just trust me, he WILL get a lot better.

9. Mario Ballotelli (14.22% success). I actually advocated signing this lad, but in fairness that was before I'd added the sticky back plastic modification to my device. Unless he has an identical twin brother who is a good footballer, looks like we've done our money on him.

BTW I STILL THINK WE'LL GET INTO THE TOP FOUR.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #98: Dec 03, 2014 10:36:27 am
      Here's my current league table of our Summer signings in terms of how well they've done so far. I've included a percentage success which I've meticulously worked out on the back of a Variety crunchy nut cornflakes box. 100% would be Lionel Messi on a free on wages of £450 per week, the other end of the scale is Alberto Aquilani. Here goes:

1. Rickie Lambert (56.8% success). Cost the best part of f*ck all and is slower than me, but is doing a good job while we have nobody else.

2. Emre Can. (55.6% success). Recently knocked off the top spot by Rickies resurgence, the German is obviously worth more than we paid for him and will become a player.

3. Origi (52.44% success). Gets into third simply because he hasn't done anything wrong in a red shirt so far, a bit sad that but there it is.

4. Xavier Manquillo (51.38% success). A good young full back, and a rarity in that he's one who places emphasis on defending rather than bombing.

5. Adam Lallana (48.76% success). A good goal last night and an assist last time played might suggest he is unlucky to be down in 5th. At times though is infuriatingly lightweight and so far looks a little overpriced, albeit obviously talented.

6. Alberto Moreno (47.92% success). Runs like a gazelle and defends like one. I can't make my mind up about this kid, but there is definately a player in there somewhere. Whether that player is a Liverpool one, or even which position exactly it would play best in, I'm unsure.

7. Lazar Markovic (41.22% success). Lazar only scores as high as this even, because he's shown the odd flash of something here and there. Even then you've needed to watch in super slow-mo in order to see it, but fortunately I've crafted a device out of an old washing up liquid bottle so I know it's there.

8. Dejan Lovren. (31.03% success). The future club captain will in years to come be recognised as showing great character for coming through this difficult period. So far he's been garbage, fortunately he will get much better. In order to be as sure of this as I am, you need to have my extremely devious player predictor, made from an old pack of cards, a magnetic pin and a dried up cornflake. If you haven't got one just trust me, he WILL get a lot better.

9. Mario Ballotelli (14.22% success). I actually advocated signing this lad, but in fairness that was before I'd added the sticky back plastic modification to my device. Unless he has an identical twin brother who is a good footballer, looks like we've done our money on him.

Honest assessment and I agree for the most part. But after spending £120 million it's quite startling we don't have one player over a 57% success rate.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #99: Dec 03, 2014 10:45:19 am
      Honest assessment and I agree for the most part. But after spending £120 million it's quite startling we don't have one player over a 57% success rate.

I don't know about "startling" Baz given so many of them are barely 20, but it's certainly extremely disappointing that NONE of them can seriously be claimed to have been a success so far. Hopefully as the season pans out a few of them can nudge their percentages up and over the 60's and perhaps even into the 70's, then we might have a bit of poetry in motion again. As it is at the moment it's less poetry in motion and more paint in drying, but that's only to be expected given how low an ebb we're coming from.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #100: Dec 03, 2014 11:37:21 am
      I don't know about "startling" Baz given so many of them are barely 20, but it's certainly extremely disappointing that NONE of them can seriously be claimed to have been a success so far. Hopefully as the season pans out a few of them can nudge their percentages up and over the 60's and perhaps even into the 70's, then we might have a bit of poetry in motion again. As it is at the moment it's less poetry in motion and more paint in drying, but that's only to be expected given how low an ebb we're coming from.

Perhaps if Sturridge was not injured and fit and firing all season the new lads would be playing with more confidence. We would probably have some above the 60%. Which emphasises how critical it is in having a top class striker leading the line. And further highlights what a mistake was made in signing Balotelli. I think we really only need a top striker in January. All our other signings will improve if we have better quality up front.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #101: Dec 03, 2014 12:20:42 pm
      LOVE this topic its about time we had some positve things to say about the club. I agree all signing will come good
      Markovich - young and will be used more next season
      Lovern - its all in his head at the mo and he will gain confidence when he and Sakho are back together i reckon
      Lallana - already proving to be a better player than coutinho(love coutinho by the way still young)
      Coutinho - amazing 1st yr but had options up top to pass to so struggle a bit without them options. will improve with Sturridge back.
      Mignolet - again all in his head but needs a better GK coach I think as even Reina was starting to be shocking before his left.
      Sakho  injured and not played enough this season once fully fit i think he will be a huge asset on set pieces due to power and height.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #102: Dec 03, 2014 12:29:23 pm
      You left out Divock Origi.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #103: Dec 03, 2014 12:36:04 pm
      bloody hell! forgot about him who i feel will be a world class striker! the future is bright so for now i feel only expericance is need older players who the young ones can learn off, but not at a cost of their game time.
      BR for some reason has gone off Borini (who he bought) and we will end up selling him i reckon he will go on loan in Jan, we may bring Origi back but only if we sell Borini for the 12-15mil quoted in the summer.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #104: Dec 03, 2014 02:22:14 pm
      LOVE this topic its about time we had some positve things to say about the club. I agree all signing will come good
      Markovich - young and will be used more next season
      Lovern - its all in his head at the mo and he will gain confidence when he and Sakho are back together i reckon
      Lallana - already proving to be a better player than coutinho(love coutinho by the way still young)
      Coutinho - amazing 1st yr but had options up top to pass to so struggle a bit without them options. will improve with Sturridge back.
      Mignolet - again all in his head but needs a better GK coach I think as even Reina was starting to be shocking before his left.
      Sakho  injured and not played enough this season once fully fit i think he will be a huge asset on set pieces due to power and height.

wow... your glass really is half full isnt it!!

I'm all for positivity but thats OTT...

Mignolet is not good enough, just a fact I'm afraid
      Sakho - jury is out

and this...."Lallana - already proving to be a better player than Coutinho"???

I would say Lallana has had the best start of the new arrivals, but he still hasnt got to that level yet
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #105: Dec 03, 2014 02:38:32 pm
      Lallana and Can to me are the jewels in the crown.

Eeny Meeny Miney Mo 

One has to come right.

Rafa signed over 70 players ......
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #106: Dec 03, 2014 02:43:59 pm
      Lallana and Can to me are the jewels in the crown.

Eeny Meeny Miney Mo 

One has to come right.

Rafa signed over 70 players ......

is that true?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #107: Dec 31, 2014 01:44:41 pm

I've had to wait longer than I'd hoped to dredge this back up, but the good thing with a bit of positivity is that however sh!te we are the law of averages says we were BOUND to improve at some point  :lmao:.

Anyway, here's my current rankings of our new signings. I've scientifically worked out their percentage ratings by using a complex formula borrowed off of that bloke on our transfer committee. To that (and I think I've improved it here), I've read out the names of each individual player and seen how the facial expression on our dog (Bonnie) changes. No change means minus 2.3%, a growl means minus 6.1%. An eyebrow raised is plus 2.8% and so on. The biggest plus was Lallana, when after a mention of his name she started giving herself a good clean up down below. That was plus 8.12% in my eyes. Anyway here are the ratings, comments and current league table of new signings.

1. Adam Lallana: (71.23% success) Shooting up to the top spot from fifth, the ex Southampton man is really beginning to come into his own. Had his best performance in a red shirt the other night, and the goals/assists/assists where someone missed the chance count are beginning to tot up nicely. I think most of us thought 25 million was overpriced for what we all admitted was a good player, as of now I'm not so sure. He really could prove to be a very shrewd signing indeed.

2. Emre Can: (58.98%) Still in second spot but improving, and only a wiggle of the ear by the dog stopped him getting up and over 60%. Wasn't sure about him as a holding mid, I aren't sure about him as a centre half, but I AM sure he'll make something. He is a player with a lot of talent, and only a 20 year old boy. Undoubtedly stole him for the fee.

3. Lazar Markovic: (56.88%) Up from 7th in the list last time, and there is something really obviously special about this lad. I'm not sure what it is yet (although his weight of pass is as good as you'll ever see), nor am I sure where he'll end up playing. Absolutely choc-a-bloc full of potential though, and while it could be argued we didn't really need "potential", now we've got it we may as well nurture it. Probably my favourite player out of the new signings, simply because he could be an absolute monster.

4. Rickie Lambert (48.51%): Has done little wrong but hasn't really played so has been overtaken by some of the improvers. Whatever happens with Rickie, he can hold his head high as being amongst the eleven men the boss turned to when we were deep in the sh!te. During that period we ground out a few ugly results (and I mean ugly) which gave us a platform to go on. I've a hunch he'll score a big goal for us before the seasons out.

5. Xavier Manquillo (48.26%): A slight drop in percentage and position, but not because he's done anything wrong just more because he hasn't played. I really like the kid, a throwback kind of fullback who actually defends properly. I hope we sign him on a permanent basis.

6. Alberto Moreno (47.44%): Similar to Manquillo in that he's been overtaken by players who have played more. That said he was good against Swansea, and he represents the most rawness of all the new signings. Pace which would frighten anybody (including himself on occasions) but utterly brainless as well. I still have a hunch that he may end up converting back to a winger at some stage, but he is a good kid who could develop into a top player.

7. Origi: (40.01%): So poor were we previously that this lad was third based on the fact we hadn't seen him. Others happily have now gone past him, plus there is the impression that in France he has trouble hitting a cows @rse with a banjo which is never a good sign.

8. The future captain (30.18%): When Lovren does eventually turn it around and become a top player for us, his phoenix like rise from the depths of the outbox will be a thing of legend. His form hasn't really changed, in each game he is excellent for 97% of it and awful for 3. Fortunately top players find a way, and he will too.

9. Mario Ballotelli (9.23%): Poor Mario. Not only is he playing sh!te but we have altered our style to one which suits him even less than the one we were using before (which didn't suit him at all either). I can't see any way back for him, unless we get 29 injuries.

BTW, I STILL THINK WE'LL REACH THE TOP FOUR.         
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #108: Dec 31, 2014 02:40:40 pm
      I believe all of our signings Mario apart will provide good service.
      Some will prove their worth quicker than others but i reckon sooner
      or later we'll see great things from all of them.

Brendan will be proved right & the transfer committee will be decommissioned
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #109: Dec 31, 2014 02:49:20 pm

Well, he was at the club six Seasons, seven years. Buying cheap and many was often the mantra back then too. With the exception of Mascherano and Keane.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #110: Dec 31, 2014 02:52:13 pm
      I've had to wait longer than I'd hoped to dredge this back up, but the good thing with a bit of positivity is that however sh!te we are the law of averages says we were BOUND to improve at some point  :lmao:.

Anyway, here's my current rankings of our new signings. I've scientifically worked out their percentage ratings by using a complex formula borrowed off of that bloke on our transfer committee. To that (and I think I've improved it here), I've read out the names of each individual player and seen how the facial expression on our dog (Bonnie) changes. No change means minus 2.3%, a growl means minus 6.1%. An eyebrow raised is plus 2.8% and so on. The biggest plus was Lallana, when after a mention of his name she started giving herself a good clean up down below. That was plus 8.12% in my eyes. Anyway here are the ratings, comments and current league table of new signings.

1. Adam Lallana: (71.23% success) Shooting up to the top spot from fifth, the ex Southampton man is really beginning to come into his own. Had his best performance in a red shirt the other night, and the goals/assists/assists where someone missed the chance count are beginning to tot up nicely. I think most of us thought 25 million was overpriced for what we all admitted was a good player, as of now I'm not so sure. He really could prove to be a very shrewd signing indeed.

2. Emre Can: (58.98%) Still in second spot but improving, and only a wiggle of the ear by the dog stopped him getting up and over 60%. Wasn't sure about him as a holding mid, I aren't sure about him as a centre half, but I AM sure he'll make something. He is a player with a lot of talent, and only a 20 year old boy. Undoubtedly stole him for the fee.

3. Lazar Markovic: (56.88%) Up from 7th in the list last time, and there is something really obviously special about this lad. I'm not sure what it is yet (although his weight of pass is as good as you'll ever see), nor am I sure where he'll end up playing. Absolutely choc-a-bloc full of potential though, and while it could be argued we didn't really need "potential", now we've got it we may as well nurture it. Probably my favourite player out of the new signings, simply because he could be an absolute monster.

4. Rickie Lambert (48.51%): Has done little wrong but hasn't really played so has been overtaken by some of the improvers. Whatever happens with Rickie, he can hold his head high as being amongst the eleven men the boss turned to when we were deep in the sh!te. During that period we ground out a few ugly results (and I mean ugly) which gave us a platform to go on. I've a hunch he'll score a big goal for us before the seasons out.

5. Xavier Manquillo (48.26%): A slight drop in percentage and position, but not because he's done anything wrong just more because he hasn't played. I really like the kid, a throwback kind of fullback who actually defends properly. I hope we sign him on a permanent basis.

6. Alberto Moreno (47.44%): Similar to Manquillo in that he's been overtaken by players who have played more. That said he was good against Swansea, and he represents the most rawness of all the new signings. Pace which would frighten anybody (including himself on occasions) but utterly brainless as well. I still have a hunch that he may end up converting back to a winger at some stage, but he is a good kid who could develop into a top player.

7. Origi: (40.01%): So poor were we previously that this lad was third based on the fact we hadn't seen him. Others happily have now gone past him, plus there is the impression that in France he has trouble hitting a cows @rse with a banjo which is never a good sign.

8. The future captain (30.18%): When Lovren does eventually turn it around and become a top player for us, his phoenix like rise from the depths of the outbox will be a thing of legend. His form hasn't really changed, in each game he is excellent for 97% of it and awful for 3. Fortunately top players find a way, and he will too.

9. Mario Ballotelli (9.23%): Poor Mario. Not only is he playing sh!te but we have altered our style to one which suits him even less than the one we were using before (which didn't suit him at all either). I can't see any way back for him, unless we get 29 injuries.

Haha your precise estimations are very appropriate mate in the light of the computer aided signings we are apparently subject to.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #111: Dec 31, 2014 04:32:32 pm

Nice one Mick. I think this thread really shows that some of the new signings just needed a bit of patience. Especially Markovic adapting to a new country/language/style and speed of play, and Lallana and Can who just needed to regain fitness. Moreno and Manquillo will still need time to mature as defenders, but we should remember they're 22 sand 20. Lambert was always coming in to be third choice, so I never quite understood the obsessive hatred people have for him.

The jury is still very much out on Lovren for me. He looked good early on (new club purple patch?) but he's largely played like a scatterbrain since.

As for Balotelli, he's clearly talented (when he's up for it) but he clearly doesn't fit our style. Weird signing.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #112: Dec 31, 2014 05:44:37 pm
      My impression of the lads hasn't changed a whole lot to be honest. It's just nice to see the ones who were showing form getting picked.

Markovic: Will be world class this lad, we paid a fortune for him but in time I think it's going to look cheap. This season is a year too soon for him to make a huge impact, but I saw in early games glimpses of brilliance and now that's starting to emerge much more regularly.

Can: Again, what I saw of him early I thought he was going to develop into a Yaya Toure type, still think that's possible. Agree with Mick that I'm not sure where his best position is but stick him anywhere and I am confident he'll look good.

Moreno: I love him, I think the formation we're playing at the moment will suit him down to the ground. I can take the being out of position much more easily when he's got people to cover him and what he brings going forward can be totally explosive. Nurture this lad and he'll become great.

Manquillo: Really like him also, I'd be happy to give him that spot in the side permanently without question.

Lallana: Actually think he'll be the one we'll look to replace first out of our front lads. He did very well in the 2nd half against Swansea and has looked to be improving from a very poor start with us (due to injuries) but I think to take this system to the next level Lallana might actually be the one to miss out.

Lovren: Not convinced at all by him, rather have Sakho/Can/Agger/Toure in his position all day long. His confidence is shot to hell and trying to get that back at the expense of any security we might develop would be wrong at this stage. Maybe next season after a full pre-season with us and a fresh slate he might improve but for now I think he's bottom of the ladder in our CB list and that's some accomplishment in the short space of time he's been here.

Balotelli: Thought he was the wrong type when we signed him, has looked the wrong type ever since. I think he's trying, but I struggle warming to him on the pitch. I like him off it and think he could still get goals for us but the systems we play best, he just doesn't fit neatly into.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #113: Dec 31, 2014 08:47:13 pm
      Lallana will be our next really good player along with Sterling and Coutinho (and Sturridge when he's fit).

He suits our style of play so well and he's such a classy footballer.

If only he wasn't so lazy  :f_tongueincheek:
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #114: Jan 01, 2015 01:02:49 am
      Lambert. I was pleased with the signing and felt that as a fella coming off the bench or starting the odd game when the first choice forwards needed a "rest" he'd be more than adequate. He was an improvement on Aspas surely? And for four million quid, you can't really go wrong. Unfortunately for Rickie though he's done F**k all to prove he's an improvement on Aspas.

Still hasn't proven to be the shrewd piece of business I thought he would be but he has shown to be an upgrade on Aspas. He's done ok in the last few sub appearances and for four million quid, it's not money wasted. Won't be a star, won't be a flop.

Lallana. I don't rate him and 25 million quid is about 30 million more than I'd of paid for him. He's got good feet fair enough but he's too fancy. Always trying to do step overs or drop the shoulder or drag it back and losing it. Sometimes just doing the simple thing is good enough. When it comes off for him he looks boss, I just don't think it comes off enough to warrant a 25 million price tag or a starting place in the team. For me he's a lesser version of either Benayoun or Garcia.

Still not convinced and still wouldn't of forked anywhere near 25 million out for the lad. I can see why people do like him though, he's that easy on the eye type player that a lot of people crave for. Unfortunately, I've never been a huge fan of that type. I had the same problems with players like Maxi, Garcia, Benayoun, even Coutinho at times. I do think Lallana tries to be fancy when there's no need for it. Could become an important player for us but I don't think he will.

Can. Like the look of him and think he'll prove to be the best of our signings this summer. Big, strong, powerful, comfortable running with the ball, puts himself about and is prepared to shoot from distance. Bit like Henderson only with more self belief. Those two in the middle together could be the perfect foil for each other and we could finally return to the good old days of two proper central midfielders without having to find daft names for the position they play.

He was the signing who impressed me most in pre-season and despite taking time to get going in the proper stuff (injuries halted him of course) he's starting to show his worth. At ten mill, he could turn out to be a real steal of a transfer. He's got everything in his arsenal to be a top quality central midfielder. And he's got the versatility to be an important squad player for cover should we get injuries/suspensions as well. A fella who does the simple stuff well.

Markovic. Never heard of him when we bought him although I remember somebody on here mentioning him as the player he'd most like us to sign. (I suggested Lambert in the same discussion). Came with a big reputation for one so young. What I believed we were getting was a pacey winger who went past people like they weren't there. Hasn't quite materialised that way though. He's had flashes of promise but then really lets himself down in the final third which is where you'd want your winger to be at their best. I always say though, you can see within the first four or five games if a player has something about them, Markovic does. I just don't think it'll be at Liverpool. His price tag is the biggest of the lot though because for a potential superstar to whack 20 million on him is a huge gamble. If he'd cost about 10 million then I doubt many would actually be complaining.

Like I said all those months ago, if he'd cost ten million I think we'd all be relatively satisfied with his contribution at present and be making more excuses for him. For 20 million though, you expect something now and not something that might materialise two years down the line. But I will say, since the last post I made in this thread, Markovic is the most improved of the lot. He's certainly got something about him and maybe, just maybe, it will come to fruition at Liverpool.

He's got a bit of the Ryan Babel syndrome about him. Bought for a lot of money when they were young, bags of potential with a lot of fans purring about them. Do well in sub appearances so get a start but then fail to deliver and end up the bench. Hopefully Lazzy gets it right and doesn't end up being the potentially great but actually piss poor kind of player Babel did.

Lovren. I was chuffed when we got him. Last year he was outstanding for Southampton and I thought we'd got a proper centre half in alongside Skrtel. (as some will know, I don't see the hype with Sakho) Two proper defenders who defend first think later. But for whatever reason Lovren looks a shell of the player he was at St Mary's. And 20 mill on a centre half, you expect him to at least be able to defend. But he has shown some promise. If we can get a settled back line, maybe two or three clean sheets on the run then his confidence may return. Still hoping he'll come good but if carries on like this for the season then he'll be out in the summer.

Again, chuffed when we got him but he's done nothing of note to deserve any sort of praise. He's out injured currently and we're picking up results. Coincidence? Perhaps. But at 20 mill I expect me centre half to defend, to actually jump when the ball is in the air and to organise those around him and in front of him. So far Lovren has shown none of that. However, he's not alone. And I think we need an upgrade on all four of our centre halves. But so far, Lovren has to go down as the worst signing of the lot.

Manquillo. Again I'd never heard of him. Looks like there's a player in there somewhere and is an upgrade on Johnson. Then again right now Tony Hibbert would be an upgrade on Johnson. However I'd rather of kept both Wisdom and Kelly and sold Johnson than brought Manquillo in. For me he was a signing, even on loan, that we didn't need to make.

Stand by what I originally said about him. There's a good player in there and an upgrade on Johnson. However I still don't think we had to make the signing in the first place. Now that we have, he should our right back/wing back whenever possible. A) because he's better than Johnson B) because it keeps Henderson from pissing about out there when he's wasted if he's not central.

Moreno. Unsurprisingly I'd never heard of him either. But the way the forum was going on when we were linked with him had me excited for his arrival. And the fact that we chased him for the majority of the summer showed we desperately wanted him - so he must have something right? He has. He's a F***ing beast going forward but does have the odd lapse of concentration at the back. It's only the odd lapse mind, it's not like he's making mistakes every time somebody attacks him. The City game where his mistake cost us the first, was the only mistake he made all game. I agree with Mick in the opening post that I think he'll move away from the full back position eventually. Rather than a young Evra, he strikes me more like a John Arne Riise - with more pace. 12 mill, good signing - especially if he's here for the long haul and doesn't start whinging to F**k off back to Spain after a year or two.

Again, I stick by what I said. He's a beast going forward but still has the odd lapse defensively. I slaughter Glen Johnson on a weekly basis for that (although Glen is more than the odd lapse) because to me a defender should be a defender first, attacker second. So if Albert is gonna remain a defender then his defending needs to improve. If, as I think, he'll move more into a left sided midfielder/winger type then his defensive frailties aren't as much of a problem. I like the look of the him though that's for sure, so hopefully he'll become more solid and dependable as he gets more experience. A good buy currently.

Balotelli. Never rated him, never wanted him. Waste of 16 million. I've said many times that I'd rather of went into the season seeing a kid on the bench than Balotelli. January 1st comes round we should flog him - even if it means we have to pay the other club to take him off our hands. Anything to get shut of him.

Right it's January 1st, sell him.

Not good enough.

Origi. Never heard of him either till the World Cup then he was suddenly this superstar in the making cos he scored one goal in Brazil. For the rest of the tournament he looked quite poor to be honest. But I think that goes for most of Belgium who failed to live up to the hype surrounding them. He's meant to be doing alright in France, but so did Djibril Cisse. Can't say one way or the other yet if he's a good signing or another 10 million wasted because he hasn't put on a Liverpool shirt.

Still can't say one way or the other on this lad till he wears the Liverpool shirt.

Quick Reply