Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Title Race Over? Think Again

Read 2330 times
      rafadodd
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 9 posts |
      Jul 15, 2006 04:28:45 pm
      Am I the only one in thinking that Chelsea are going to have two to three top or world class players in every position (barring full backs probably), who will simply not play every game causing disharmony on the training ground and in the dressing room?

And ultimately a lack of match fitness for the players concerned? They have a squad of about thirty players who will be used to playing every game for their clubs, not being squad rotated like they will be next season and certainly not playing under a manager as egotistical as Mourinho.

I can't help but think that last season was not as satisfying for Chelsea as their first title triumph was. Firstly, too much of a walk in the park, secondly, losing in the Champions League and FA Cup to their bitterest rivals lately in Barcelona and Liverpool; also count Lampards ordinary form compared to his superhuman consistency the year before.

Added to all this are the murmurings about Abramovich going over Mourinho's head over Chelsea's transfer policy (he wants Crespo to stay, Mourinho isn't convinced entirely, Ballack and Shevchenko were deals orchestrated by the Russian we're led to believe...). Mourinho's comments in their title celebrations suggest that he nearly quit managing Chelsea twice last season. Count the fact he complains that the media do not recognise his managing talents because of the monetary advantage Chelsea have when signing players over other clubs. Stamford Bridge is not the Garden of Eden their playing staff and their fickle fans make out it is.

Having stated that, they will all in all probably win the Premier League next season. Not a bold statement is it? But I'm just saying that it will not be a stroll for Mourinho and Chelsea.

Tally up Chelsea's midfielders who they simply cannot afford to leave out of their side. They're stocked to the gills with them. Makelele, Duff, Robben, Wright-Phillips, Cole, Lampard, Essien, Ballack and to a lesser point Geremi who usually fills in at right-back. I would guess that Duff, Essien and Wright Phillips would be the scapegoats here. That's a problem for them. All top class players who will become unsettled perhaps.

It's going to be interesting to see who loses out between Makelele, Ballack and Lampard. I think you can get at Chelsea if you get at Makelele, so if he's the scapegoat, they will be vulnerable. Lampard is their talisman, a favourite of the manager and did they really need Ballack? It's documented Manchester United were in for him so they could have signed him on that basis to stop a rival acquiring him. It's not beneath Chelsea to do that I'm sure (Wright-Phillips springs to mind), Ballack seems like a bit of a mercenary "in-it-for-the-money" type according to bitter reports from Germany, but it could be a case of square pegs in round holes trying to accommodate their massive squad into eleven positions.

Shevchenko hasn't kicked a ball for them yet obviously. Drogba won't like it certainly. The signing raises the point seeing if Shevchenko can play up on his own (I'm more than certain for £31 million quid that he can), or are Chelsea suited to playing Drogba who is certainly effective for them? This conundrum then takes you back to playing a flooded midfield of five (including Makelele sitting deep and Drogba up front leaving Shevchenko out) or a midfield of four with Crespo and Shevchenko in attack who as we already know are a proven partnership, (leaving Drogba and two from Essien, Makelele, Ballack or Lampard out - they can't all play as Chelsea rely on wingers too much). Leaving more noses out of joint in midfield.

This strategy Chelsea are pursuing is Real Madrid's 'Galactico' experiment six years down the line. I'm no expert but I don't see how you can motivate thirty multi-millionaires when they know in all likelihood they will be sitting on the bench for 30-35% of their teams games during a season.

What I'm saying is don't make the mistake of thinking Chelsea are unbeatable. Surely Liverpool have proven that in the last two years? Some people are giving up before a ball has been kicked. We just happen to have a manager who coped with this kind of disadvantage successfully in Spain and walked away with two Primera Ligas. Never give up.NEVER GIVE UP.
      Rushie
      • Forum John Toshack

• 255 posts | -3 
      Reply #1: Jul 15, 2006 04:51:10 pm
      Couldn't agree more...

I think that Chelsea's 'galactico' policy could blow up in their face.

I can see some training ground bust ups - and maybe a difference in opinion between the few who actually have a bit of Chavski in them ie. Terry, and all these freeloading money-grabbers ie. Michael Bollock

I hope Gonzalez cuts them up good and proper and we give them a damn good thrashing at Cardiff in a few weeks.

Oo er missus
      3-0 down! a peace of cake
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #2: Jul 16, 2006 11:38:30 am
      actually that is a very good point. we will have wait and see
      Nazir
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 17, 2006 01:40:03 am
      I mostly agree with that analysis on Chelsea. I feel though that Ballack and Shevchenko will play more than the others. I think that they are likely to go with Ballack playing behind Shevchenko leaving four in midfield behind them. That would mean Lampard, Makelele, Essien and any one of their wide players. Having said that I don't particularly care who they sign or who they field, nor for that matter I care about any of the other teams in the Premiership.

As far as winning the Premiership goes, I agree that Chelsea won't have it all their own way. I firmly believe that we have a great chance to win it and I also felt that we had a fairly decent chance last season irrespective of how other teams played or whoever they signed. I think in the end it simply came down to  either scoring or not conceding about six goals. That would have made all the crucial difference. Ask Rafa and he will tell you exacly what I mean. ;D.

I think we have a great squad of players and exciting times surely lay ahead. Rafa's rebuilding is nearly complete and the squad is full of  quality players with experience and technical ability. On top of that we also seem to have some very promising young players. Rafa wants to create a team like the one he had at Valencia before he came here. If we play to our potential then I am sure it is only a matter of time before we are compared to his old Valencia team. Now that is an exciting thought..
      rafadodd
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 9 posts |
      Reply #4: Jul 17, 2006 01:13:25 pm
      I honestly believe we can do it.  Lets not forget that (I think) from October last year, we got more points than Chequeski.  For me it is all down to how we start this season, another bad start and its 2nd for us, start well and I believe we will do it.

Shevchenko and Ballack don't scare me as much as their names suggest they should.  The Bundesliga, whilst a physical league in a similar vein to ours, doesn't play at the temp or aggression level that the Premiership has, and Shev has never (i don't think) played in a league like ours.  Dreary Wednesday night at Bramall Lane or Woodison anyone?

If Shev and Ballack had arrived a few years ago, I would be seriously worried.  But they smack of Abramovich signings rather than MaureenHo's.  Roberto Carlos is being touted next for them...long may it continue.  For players to come in at 30 years old, to a league the likes of which they have never played in, and have to adapt - I am not so sure it will be all rosy for them.  Couple that with the fact that to play Ballack and Lumpard, he is almost forced to use the diamond that he deployed SO well against us in the FA Cup semi ;)

There is no doubting Shev/Ballacks class, I am just saying that I don't feel it will be as easy as the Chavski fans would want to believe.

So mine top 4 would be

1. Liverpool
      2. Chelsea
      3. Arsenal
      4. Man U

Man U seem to be turning into Newcastle..."We are bidding 25 mil for Torres, 16 for Carrick etc etc etc"  This is a team plunged into how many hundred million of debt?  Reminds me of Freddy Sheppard saying that they had tabled a bid for Rooney ;D.  Add RVN leaving and they are in serious trouble.

As for the injuries thing, isn't there a stat that shows over the last few seasons that we won more (on a percentage basis) with Stevie G out than we did with him on the pitch?  With the options we have in midfield, its an area that doesn't concern me massively.
      KingoftheKop
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 87 posts |
      Reply #5: Jul 17, 2006 02:34:03 pm
      Chelski do have a strong team but i agree that the decision of bringing in the likes of Ballack and Shevchenko is a poor one.

The Bundesliga is possibly the most uninspiring league in the world so to say Ballack is an amazing player is just stupid because hes now moved to the best league in the world and will have to adapt quickly before the arthritis sets in.  

Shevchenko on the other hand has just arrived from the laziest league in the world and will be used to playing against teams that move slower than tortoise with no legs, i don't expect the same results as he had in Italy but i do think he will score.  Let's hope he plays as well for Chelski as he did in the World Cup ;)

overall i think we have an excellent chance of upsetting Mourinho again this season and i've got afeeling that no matter who they buy the Champions League will always be beyond their reach. ;D
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #6: Jul 17, 2006 06:23:08 pm
      The point is that we play as a team, Chavs play as individual prima donnas  and thats why we get results and silverware... and are European champions 5 times and WILL be 6 !!!!  :D

Quick Reply