Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Brucie says reds need to replace Mignolet in January

Read 8157 times
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: Brucie says reds need to replace Mignolet in January
      Reply #46: Nov 27, 2014 11:29:07 pm
      I really can not see Cech wanting to join us.

I'd be happy with Begovic.  If FSG/Rodgers/Ayre/Linda/whoever decides the transfers manages to get Cech, I will start to have faith in them again.

If not, maybe we can try Enrique in goal.  Remember when Pepe got sent off a few years back and Jose had to go in goal?

Would be worth a shot!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #47: Nov 28, 2014 12:12:48 am

Yep, same. All I want is Begovic and Schneiderlin this winter and I'll be ecstatic. The difference would actually be astronomical!!
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #48: Nov 28, 2014 12:58:42 am
      Yep, same. All I want is Begovic and Schneiderlin this winter and I'll be ecstatic. The difference would actually be astronomical!!

I think we need more than those 2... Unless Begovic is also a cracking centre forward too  ;)
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #49: Nov 28, 2014 06:05:56 am
      Seriously...

I too think we can do better than Migs but really.... January? 

We have much more dire issues elsewhere on the pitch than the GK.   how about our ability or should I say inability to do anything in the final third of the pitch for one? and our midfield is an absolute shambles.  we are pretty much in December now and our midfield/fwd and even defense is still very much up in the air.   shocking stuff really

Plus, I can bet good money that had we had a better defense core, Migs would've let in way less goal.  He has lots to improve in his game but as a shot keeper the guy is pretty good.  (think of that pk he saved in his first game for us).  it wasn't his fault toure passed to an opponent who went solo into the net... or the gerrard slip.

Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #50: Nov 28, 2014 08:09:27 am
      I'm sure Inter will be happy if we offer 15mil to Handanovic. In the middle of contract negotiations, may be worth trying. Stoke will probably try to fleece for Begovic and I consider the former better than the latter.

Handanovic and Shaqiri will be good business in the summer, although I know it is just wishful thinking.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #51: Nov 28, 2014 09:14:10 am
      I thnk we need a new GK coach first before trying to replace the keeper you dont becomce a bad player overnight so maybe we need to look at our coaching staff as since RAFA left we've been poor defensivley. I would still sell Brad Jones and bring free agent Valdez in for experiance and to push Mignolet and help  him become a top GK. Also maybe hire someone like Brucie to give him a kick up the arse and teach him a bit.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #52: Nov 28, 2014 09:59:35 am

Brendan Rodgers demands immediate improvement from Simon Mignolet

• Liverpool goalkeeper handed opening goal to Ludogorets
      • Rodgers: ‘The goal was a massive setback for the team’
      • Ludogorets snatch late equaliser against Liverpool

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/27/brendan-rodgers-simon-mignolet-liverpool
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #53: Nov 28, 2014 10:04:51 am
      Brendan Rodgers demands immediate improvement from Simon Mignolet

• Liverpool goalkeeper handed opening goal to Ludogorets
      • Rodgers: ‘The goal was a massive setback for the team’
      • Ludogorets snatch late equaliser against Liverpool

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/27/brendan-rodgers-simon-mignolet-liverpool
      think we have no choice but to keep playing him and hope a few clean sheets and good saves will get him back to the player he was on opening day of last season when he did that fantastic tripple save. we all know he's got it in him but his heads gone he needs to grow a pair and start commanding the defence it starts from him
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #54: Nov 28, 2014 09:39:25 pm
      we all know he's got it in him

no, we don't all know that.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #55: Nov 28, 2014 09:59:23 pm
      I honestly don't see why Asmir Begovic is deemed the answer to our problems.

I work with someone who is a season-ticket holder at the Britannia and a staunch Stoke City fan and he says that Asmir Begovic has been really poor for 18 months now. I was speaking to him only the other day about the possibility of replacing Mignolet with Begovic and he said he would be really surprised as his command of the box is quite poor and his kicking is worse than Mignolet's. He went on to say that the fans are growing concerned about his recent performances and how some are hoping that he is sold on so Jack Butland can get a look in.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #56: Nov 28, 2014 10:04:16 pm
      I honestly don't see why Asmir Begovic is deemed the answer to our problems.

It's probably got something to do with the fact that it seemed we were going to sign him but then out of no where we got Migs instead.
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #57: Nov 28, 2014 11:52:02 pm
      Seems crazy to me that victor Valdes is a free agent who wants to play in England and the club are not even talking with him as far as we know. No transfer fee surely balances out potentially higher wages. 12 month deal would probably suit all parties. The only risk seems to be injury (which is fair enough), keep mignolet as backup.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #58: Nov 29, 2014 02:38:58 am
      Pepe had his chance to prove himself at Napoli with his favourite manager and goalkeeping coach and his performances didn't justify them paying a cut price fee to keep him. He has gone into semi retirement getting that backup position in Germany and should be nowhere near an elite side as number one.

Why we have Brad jones when he is too poor to rely on in these circumstances is a complete mystery. The bit about having two first line keepers Federer wrote above is bollocks - this is teh first season that Chelsea have had Courtois and Cech in the same location and, by all accounts, they are looking to rectify that in the January transfer window. Valdes and reina are not serious competition for the number one slots. Paying a keeper 5 million pounds a year to sit on the bench is money that we can better use elsewhere.

i do remain puzzled at the initial acquisition of mignolet - as pointed out above, his game doesn't suit what we are doing at all. when i first heard the signing i assumed the scouts had seen some incredible potential in him and we could coach the bits we needed into him but there has been little sign he can overcome his natural deficiencies.

It is fairly obvious why we have brad jones as our backup.  Salary.

If you are not willing to pay, you wont get the quality. 
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #59: Nov 29, 2014 07:15:10 am
      It is fairly obvious why we have brad jones as our backup.  Salary.
      The same reason as to why Migs was brought here in the first place.

Of course we had the PR dept working their magic then too - to convince us that Pepe wasn't 'good enough' for us - (completely ignoring the fact that even after a shaky start; he ended the season with 14 clean sheets in only 31 games... just behind Joe Hart % wise).

Thankfully tho' - even the PR dept can't fool all of the people all of the time and try as they might to convince us that they're still right; there's enough on here with the integrity to admit it was wrong.

Simon is just another case of the corporate mismanagement and false economies sadly....

I wonder how much it will eventually cost to replace Pepe with someone fit to tie his bootlaces?  :-\

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #60: Nov 29, 2014 09:26:15 am
      The same reason as to why Migs was brought here in the first place.

Of course we had the PR dept working their magic then too - to convince us that Pepe wasn't 'good enough' for us - (completely ignoring the fact that even after a shaky start; he ended the season with 14 clean sheets in only 31 games... just behind Joe Hart % wise).

Thankfully tho' - even the PR dept can't fool all of the people all of the time and try as they might to convince us that they're still right; there's enough on here with the integrity to admit it was wrong.

Simon is just another case of the corporate mismanagement and false economies sadly....

I wonder how much it will eventually cost to replace Pepe with someone fit to tie his  bootlaces?  :-\

Which leads to the question on Brucie's views regarding Pepe's exit, a pound to a pinch of sh*t he would condemn it as much as the majority on this forum or at Anfield on any match day.
      That in turn leads to an examination and the motives regarding the move:
      Was it based on form and the implications therein affecting the team's performance in the long term - no.
      Was it based on the fact that we had an excess of proficient shot stoppers - no, the reverse was true, Reina was our first and only choice between the sticks as subsequent events testified.
      Following on from that has the club benefitted from the transaction? The very thought is F***ing laughable.
      The balance sheet probably looked attractive from an accountants point of view although of minimal interest to anyone else who is distracted by the damage being done to LFC.

To go a step further the above seems a blueprint for our owner's modus operandi from day F***ing 1, with the compulsory footnote/waffle about the long term/wait and see/you won't know until it hit's you in the F***ing gob etc etc.
      It seems their business ethic interprets in the long term as a 15 point wipe out in the Prem.
      « Last Edit: Nov 29, 2014 10:35:05 am by stuey »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #61: Nov 29, 2014 10:10:16 am
      So in layman's terms Stuey & Mouse, what you're really saying is our owners and their elves get rid of anyone aka, Pepe, Luis,  Agger and anyone else who demand a higher wages structure than most, look out Gerrard, Johnson, etc and all those potential quality game changer trophy getting title landing signings we need to bring our club forward, 

How dare we dare to dream that one day we can expect to see the premiership pennant flying high aloft the new Anfield,  how dare we dream of being the envy of Europe once again and be respected amongst the elite of the world's top club sides,....

Is that the vision of J W HENRY & Co,  hmm, let's see now........?????

YNWA
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #62: Nov 29, 2014 10:23:39 am
      That PR department must have worked overtime, considering Reina's now gathering splinters.  Surely he could have got a No. 1 slot somewhere. ???
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #63: Nov 29, 2014 10:43:46 am
      That PR department must have worked overtime, considering Reina's now gathering splinters.  Surely he could have got a No. 1 slot somewhere. ???

Splinters or not his inclusion in the squad listing would be manna from heaven right now for BR.
      Who could have guessed it?  :f_whistle:

So in layman's terms Stuey & Mouse, what you're really saying is our owners and their elves get rid of anyone aka, Pepe, Luis,  Agger and anyone else who demand a higher wages structure than most, look out Gerrard, Johnson, etc and all those potential quality game changer trophy getting title landing signings we need to bring our club forward, 

How dare we dare to dream that one day we can expect to see the premiership pennant flying high aloft the new Anfield,  how dare we dream of being the envy of Europe once again and be respected amongst the elite of the world's top club sides,....

Is that the vision of J W HENRY & Co,  hmm, let's see now........?????

YNWA

In anyone's language mate the only dream our owner's contemplate is a viable marketing commodity, excellence is an unnecessary/optional accessory in the resume.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #64: Nov 29, 2014 10:54:51 am
      Splinters or not his inclusion in the squad listing would be manna from heaven right now for BR.
      Who could have guessed it?  :f_whistle:

Reina is one of the few that I really don't think was financial, whether that be not playing enough to justify the wages like Agger, or deemed to expensive for a squad not in the CL at the time (you can pick a few if you want).  Genuinely seemed to be some malice between himself and Rodgers.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #65: Nov 29, 2014 11:30:13 am
       http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30248433

The former Swansea boss also defended goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, who has come in for criticism from ex-Liverpool keeper Bruce Grobbelaar.

"He's saved us in a number of games," said Rodgers. "His form is just like the team. We all need to be better.

"Simon is fine, I had a good chat with him today.

It's never easy taking criticism, whether it's deserved or not. But, it's part of the sport."

Rodgers being asked about Mignolet.

Looks like Mignolet stays  .....  and all that entails.  Head and sand come to mind.

Disaster !
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #66: Nov 29, 2014 12:16:39 pm
      So in layman's terms Stuey & Mouse, what you're really saying is our owners and their elves get rid of anyone aka, Pepe, Luis,  Agger

I don't know Billy - I'm sure you'll hear some very sound and eloquent arguments put forward for why each of the lads you mention had to go.

Reina - everything from "Barcelona" to "Decline in form" to "Not getting on with Brendan" but Brendan, himself said it was a financial decision so... unless he was lying...

Suarez - "He wanted to go." which is fair enough but John Henry, himself, the season before said - Luis wouldn't be allowed to go because we couldn't find a top quality replacement: what happened to that stance F**k only knows: maybe he was lying too?

Agger - "Injured too often to warrant a wage/cost" - again fair enough, I suppose but... have his injury-prone 1st replacement or his error-prone 2nd replacement done enough to warrant their combined wages and £38m cost? I don't know.

Which gets me back to the subject - Mignolet... Just another example of how false economies can cost more than a top quality player. Like or loathe Reina - just like Danny it's going to cost a lot more to replace him than he earned. ;)

« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2014 12:28:16 pm by bad boy bubby »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #67: Nov 29, 2014 01:41:02 pm
      Reina is one of the few that I really don't think was financial, whether that be not playing enough to justify the wages like Agger, or deemed to expensive for a squad not in the CL at the time (you can pick a few if you want).  Genuinely seemed to be some malice between himself and Rodgers.

As I remember Reina was one of the big earners at that time and the priority was reducing the club's outgoings by despatching said big earners and/or reducing the size of the squad.
      Either way our only credible keeper was history.
      There was some disquiet as to the qualification of his replacement, entirely justified as events have proved.
      There were some smoke and mirrors involving a girly spat with the manager, the upshot yet again tho' was a weakening of the squad - all part of the FSG long term plan it appears.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #68: Nov 29, 2014 01:46:54 pm
      As I remember Reina was one of the big earners at that time and the priority was reducing the club's outgoings by despatching said big earners and/or reducing the size of the squad.
      Either way our only credible keeper was history.
      There was some disquiet as to the qualification of his replacement, entirely justified as events have proved.
      There were some smoke and mirrors involving a girly spat with the manager, the upshot yet again tho' was a weakening of the squad - all part of the FSG long term plan it appears.

The story of Rodgers having an issue with Reina were around before he even took the job.

Quick Reply