Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Brucie says reds need to replace Mignolet in January

Read 8172 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Brucie says reds need to replace Mignolet in January
      Reply #69: Nov 29, 2014 01:52:15 pm
      The problem for me has never been that we replaced Reina, just that the player we replaced him with is not good enough.
      deles4ntos
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #70: Nov 30, 2014 02:22:02 am
      Mignolet is still the best . I am disagree with Brucie  >:(
      Brucie you better keep silent
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #71: Nov 30, 2014 04:01:28 pm

Haha then you am disagree with the majority of the civilized world, Grobelaar and LFC supporters that Mignolet doesn't deserve a starting place.
      Am you watching the right team?

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #72: Nov 30, 2014 05:05:12 pm
      Reina is one of the few that I really don't think was financial, whether that be not playing enough to justify the wages like Agger, or deemed to expensive for a squad not in the CL at the time (you can pick a few if you want).  Genuinely seemed to be some malice between himself and Rodgers.
      This is what i thought at the time, and still do, regardless of all the financial reasons that have been spouted.
      I was surprised at, not only that he was being squeezed out, but also in the underhand manner it seemed it was done in.
      I also think, like for like, he was a better keeper than Mignolet, and was surprised that we were even linked with Mignolet at the time, as he hadn't earned any massive reviews that I was aware of.
      I remember that good old Jersey Dudek, was replaced by Rafa, with Pepe, immediately took over. Perhaps B.R. was just trying to make a similar statement of intent. Which ultimately backfired.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #73: Nov 30, 2014 05:34:18 pm
      This is what i thought at the time, and still do, regardless of all the financial reasons that have been spouted.
      I was surprised at, not only that he was being squeezed out, but also in the underhand manner it seemed it was done in.
      I also think, like for like, he was a better keeper than Mignolet, and was surprised that we were even linked with Mignolet at the time, as he hadn't earned any massive reviews that I was aware of.
      I remember that good old Jersey Dudek, was replaced by Rafa, with Pepe, immediately took over. Perhaps B.R. was just trying to make a similar statement of intent. Which ultimately backfired.

I always got the impression Rodgers didn't like the whole "I'd like to go to Barca if they want me" from Reina who in turn didn't like being lied to that Mignolet was competition for his place only to be shipped out on loan without being asked. I guess he's having the last laugh right now though.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #74: Nov 30, 2014 05:39:49 pm
      He might be right but he should also remember he had a shocking start to his career here. Maybe words of encouragement for the lad may be better or the offer to work with him to help him?

You are so right Brian, Brucie used put the shits up us with his antics the first couple of seasons he played for us. Mignolet has let us down on so many occasions but so has the whole defence.I still believe in the old Bill Shankly  way get strength through the middle from the goalie to the  centre forward (Bill never called them strikers).
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #75: Nov 30, 2014 07:48:27 pm
      That's got me thinking Billy.

I was still qiote young at the time (10ish)  so will happily bow to your recollection but wasn't the difference that Bruce used to make some bad judgements and (as I recall) the odd handling faux pas in the early years.

I guess I'm saying that my problem with Migs is that he seems to want to avoid making decisions.....whereas Bruce made some poor ones.

On balance I'd prefer to teach a keeper when not to rather than when to.....if that makes sense?
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #76: Dec 01, 2014 12:41:20 pm
      unless we can get a top keeper on a free I really cant see FSG splashing out more money on players to sovle the problem. its not the players that are the problem its the coaching staff. need a new GK coach and get Dr Peters back to sort their heads out
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #77: Dec 01, 2014 12:58:48 pm

you may be on your own a bit there mate... he isnt good enough for us, and thats a fact

as for silencing Brucie... :mad:
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #78: Dec 01, 2014 05:36:37 pm
      It is fairly obvious why we have brad jones as our backup.  Salary.

If you are not willing to pay, you wont get the quality.

If we can't put him in when we are in crisis from conceding too many goals then even a salary of ten quid a week is wasting £520 a year in my view.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #79: Dec 01, 2014 05:39:25 pm
      That PR department must have worked overtime, considering Reina's now gathering splinters.  Surely he could have got a No. 1 slot somewhere. ???

Yeah exactly. Even Rafa didn't want to sign him though he was available for a couple of million pounds.

That PR department must have done quite a job to fool the entire world of professional football  :D
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #80: Dec 01, 2014 06:21:25 pm
      That's got me thinking Billy.

I was still qiote young at the time (10ish)  so will happily bow to your recollection but wasn't the difference that Bruce used to make some bad judgements and (as I recall) the odd handling faux pas in the early years.

I guess I'm saying that my problem with Migs is that he seems to want to avoid making decisions.....whereas Bruce made some poor ones.

On balance I'd prefer to teach a keeper when not to rather than when to.....if that makes sense?

I agree with you 100 %,it should also be remembered Brucie had excellent players in front of him so did not come under the pressure that Mignolet comes under. Having said that I still think we need top class keeper and sadly Mignolet is not top class.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #81: Dec 01, 2014 06:43:37 pm
      That PR department must have worked overtime, considering Reina's now gathering splinters.  Surely he could have got a No. 1 slot somewhere. ???

Its should have  Been Migs gathering the splinters and Reina in goal for us but this was down to Rodgers & not the PR department.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #82: Dec 01, 2014 10:01:53 pm
      I agree with you 100 %,it should also be remembered Brucie had excellent players in front of him so did not come under the pressure that Mignolet comes under. Having said that I still think we need top class keeper and sadly Mignolet is not top class.

Very valid point re the defence Billy. We just seem so mannered at the back - oh for someone who just cleans out the trash.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #83: Dec 01, 2014 11:50:33 pm
      Dear Santa

Can we have a new goalie please ?

Thank You and Merry Christmas  .

A Kopite.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #84: Dec 01, 2014 11:54:47 pm
      I still believe in the old Bill Shankly  way get strength through the middle from the goalie to the  centre forward (Bill never called them strikers).

What did Chelsea do this summer ?

Courtois    Fabregas   Da Costa  ...    spine of the team.

rez
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 101 posts |
      Reply #85: Dec 02, 2014 01:25:46 pm
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30248433

The former Swansea boss also defended goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, who has come in for criticism from ex-Liverpool keeper Bruce Grobbelaar.

"He's saved us in a number of games," said Rodgers. "His form is just like the team. We all need to be better.

"Simon is fine, I had a good chat with him today.

It's never easy taking criticism, whether it's deserved or not. But, it's part of the sport."

Rodgers being asked about Mignolet.

Looks like Mignolet stays  .....  and all that entails.  Head and sand come to mind.

Disaster !

BR HAS to stand by his keeper. Half way through a season he cannot be using his second or third choices. By him saying "I had a good chat with him today" I think he meant 'get your sh*t together'
      I think we will see a replacement over the summer but I believe Mignolet will keep his spot until then.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #86: Dec 02, 2014 01:29:05 pm
      What did Chelsea do this summer ?

Courtois    Fabregas   Da Costa  ...    spine of the team.

What did we do this summer?.

Reina- Agger- Suarez- ...... Spine of the team sold :D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #87: Dec 03, 2014 08:59:00 am
      What did we do this summer?.

Reina- Agger- Suarez- ...... Spine of the team sold :D

Exactimundo Shabs.

Another howler from Mignolet last night. 
      The Kop was always referred to as a goal start.

Now Migs is. . .

For the opposition.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #88: Dec 03, 2014 11:07:23 am
      I said the other day that the first thing which goes amongst fans when things aren't going well is the ability to reason. They start running around blaming all and sundry, clamouring for someone who they can remember having a good game once to be included, calling for the managers head and all sorts of nonsense. They jump to the wrong conclusions about what has caused the demise, often addressing the symptom rather than the cause of the problem. It happens with players too, which is why managers by and large go to experienced players in times of crisis, cool heads who can see the woods from the trees. The next thing to fall by the wayside amongst fans is their memory. They forget that such and such a player has had dips in form before and yet has still come back to be their player of the season, they forget that the same player has played well in a certain position many times. They also forget the manager that only a few months ago had the team purring, they crave change as if change in itself will change fortunes.

Mignolet is a classic case in point. Peoples reason has gone as far as he is concerned, each mistake highlighted to the nth degree, each miskick put under the microscope. Their memory has gone with Mignolet too. They forget both the world class save which won us the points against Stoke, and they forget exactly how bad Brad Jones is. Aside from his calamitous pass which he got away with last night, Mignolet did alright. He was very unlucky with the goal (a few seconds earlier he had actually pulled off a fine save) and he has conceded one goal in the last two matches.

Now is not the time for knee jerk, it's the time for calm heads and confidence. Those who advocate the changing of the non injured goalkeeper mid match via a substitution have never played football to a serious level before. They have no idea how much pressure this would put the rest of the team under. Similarly, those who advocate the changing of a goalkeeper while you are trying to rebuild the confidence of a teams defence aren't being serious either. Brucie was a good goalkeeper in his day and he had more than his share of detractors and calamities. He should afford Mignolet the same consideration and sympathy as well as no small measure of belief that the Kop gave him.   
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #89: Dec 03, 2014 12:18:38 pm
      Some of us have probably gone through this. If we keep making fundamental mistakes in our job over a considerable period of time, we'll probably be disillusioned about our ability to contribute to the organization we are working for at some point in time. The kid's confidence's probably devastated by now. That includes the sh*t he has to take from his superiors. Just like how we need to constantly answer to our bosses.

Quick Reply