Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Goalkeepers!!!

Read 20010 times
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia
      • Started Topic

• 472 posts | 22 
      Goalkeepers!!!
      Nov 28, 2014 10:26:01 pm
      With Simon Mignolet coming in for some strong criticism this season from ex-goalkeepers as well as pundits and journalists, it looks like a replacement will be actively sought sooner rather than later. So lets look at some possible replacements.

Jack Butland
      He has been on loan at Derby County for 6 months and former Manchester United goalkeeping coach, Eric Steele, has likened him to David De Gea and been full of praise for his mentality and the way he has transformed his game in such a short time frame. He is a fantastic shot stopper, quick of his line and good with his feet although his command of the box needs to be worked on. Being so young, this trait could be nurtured and he may seek a move having had to play second fiddle to Asmir Begovic.

Asmir Begovic He was the goalkeeper that was meant to have replaced Pepe Reina but for some reason remained at Stoke City before Simon Mignolet joined the club. To be honest, he seems to have regressed a little over the past 12 months or so and his kicking and command of the box are two traits which he struggles with. An outside bet but not for me.

Victor Valdes Monitored by Liverpool but has failed to overcome his long term injury which may trouble him for the remainder of his future regarding his explosiveness and reflex which Barca were accustomed to. Suspect in the air and prone to the odd calamity from time to time, the Spaniard is superb with the ball at his feet and is one of the best sweeper keepers in the game today. Also known for being a good communicator and not one to shy away from shouting at the defence in front of him.

Sergio Romero Argentine keeper who excels at international level but struggles for game time domestically. A good shot stopper but another who struggles to claim crosses. A great character off the pitch and very vocal on it and good with his feet too. Has it in his locker to overplay at times and also a little hot-headed from time to time.

Samir Handanovic A no-nonsense giant who is about as complete a goalkeeper as you are going to get. Commands his box, shouts at his defence, organises and a fantastic shot stopper to boot. Where he struggles though is with the ball at his feet and he would find it difficult to play the ball out the back as he prefers to punt the ball forward at every opportunity. Handanovic would be my personal choice as a replacement for Mignolet.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Re: Goalkeepers!!!
      Reply #1: Nov 28, 2014 10:34:12 pm
      Cech should be our primary target.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2: Nov 28, 2014 11:01:15 pm

Yeah because that's going to happen. Chelsea probably wont sell us any player in the next few years because of how Sturridge went. I also very much doubt he'd come to us anyway even if Chelsea would allow it.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #3: Nov 28, 2014 11:05:46 pm
      Yeah because that's going to happen. Chelsea probably wont sell us any player in the next few years because of how Sturridge went. I also very much doubt he'd come to us anyway even if Chelsea would allow it.

I think both those problems can be overcome. Chelsea wont view us as a threat this season so would be happy to either loan with a view to buy or sell.

I think the biggest issue, as ever with us would be wages and on that basis we can forget about it.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #4: Nov 28, 2014 11:12:25 pm
      I think both those problems can be overcome. Chelsea wont view us as a threat this season so would be happy to either loan with a view to buy or sell.

I think the biggest issue, as ever with us would be wages and on that basis we can forget about it.

It's ok, don't worry. We'll just buy 5 cheap GK's with super low wages... I'm sure 1 of them will turn out to be world class!!!
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #5: Nov 28, 2014 11:16:46 pm
      Would love Handanovič and Kovačič in package from Inter, but is not going to happen.

Love Handanovič, he is top 5 GK in world for me and Inter knows it. I think he is to expensive for 30 years old GK for anyone at the moment.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #6: Nov 28, 2014 11:19:30 pm
      Part of the problem? Goalkeeping coach John Achterberg.

Prior to him being appointed in 2011 - Reina was excellent, then suddenly turned unreliable.
      Since Mignolet has arrived, he looks nothing like the player he was at Sunderland.

lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #7: Nov 28, 2014 11:21:47 pm
       Would like Cech, Alder, Handanovic or Begovic.

We really need a top quality goalkeeper and need to go for proven quality.

Part of the problem? Goalkeeping coach John Achterberg.

Prior to him being appointed in 2011 - Reina was excellent, then suddenly turned unreliable.
      Since Mignolet has arrived, he looks nothing like the player he was at Sunderland.

Never thought Mignolet was anything special at Sunderland. I don't think I've ever really rated Mignolet.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #8: Nov 28, 2014 11:22:07 pm

I think any other manager there and I would agree but Jose seems very bitter towards us and I don't think he would give us any player that could potentially make us better.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #9: Nov 28, 2014 11:41:46 pm
      I think any other manager there and I would agree but Jose seems very bitter towards us and I don't think he would give us any player that could potentially make us better.

I know where you're coming from mate, he certainly does have a passionate hatred for us. Whether that would influence his decision, guess we'll read about it in a book one day :D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #10: Nov 28, 2014 11:50:09 pm

He hates the fact that we know he is a c**t where as the rest of the football community carry on like he is some sort of football messiah.

NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #11: Nov 28, 2014 11:57:43 pm
      Kevin Trapp of Eintracht Frankfurt is consistently good in the bundesliga! just unlikely to get an international look in with neuer and ter stegen in the frame. Has under 21 caps for Germany. 24 years old so would fit the purchasing profile. Probably not hugely expensive and IMO better than Mignolet. Lower profile that some of the other names mentioned but a class act.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #12: Nov 29, 2014 12:04:30 am
      He hates the fact that we know he is a c**t where as the rest of the football community carry on like he is some sort of football messiah.

Is right
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,286 posts | 763 
      Reply #14: Nov 29, 2014 09:52:15 am
      Certainly could do with getting our hands on a decent Keeper. Although Migs has made quite a number of saves, he does not seem to be able to hold the ball and is very suspect in his area.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,921 posts | 4986 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #15: Nov 29, 2014 10:54:44 am
      I quite like Tim Krul at toon,  I think he's a decent stopper, commanding and unlike the draculas of this world, he loves crosses,
      Not so good with his feet but has good distribution,

Can't see cech being here if I'm honest , FSG won't pay a wage fitting a quality player of his ilk,

That young fella Handocovic, is that his name?  Ticks all the right boxes if you pardon the pun,

Anyone but slippery Simon!

YNWA
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #16: Nov 29, 2014 11:31:58 am
      Dont bother.

Rodgers has spoken.

"Mignolet is fine"
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,008 posts | 3352 
      Reply #17: Nov 29, 2014 12:11:38 pm
      Lloris.
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #18: Nov 29, 2014 12:28:14 pm
      With Simon Mignolet coming in for some strong criticism this season from ex-goalkeepers as well as pundits and journalists, it looks like a replacement will be actively sought sooner rather than later. So lets look at some possible replacements.

Jack Butland
      He has been on loan at Derby County for 6 months and former Manchester United goalkeeping coach, Eric Steele, has likened him to David De Gea and been full of praise for his mentality and the way he has transformed his game in such a short time frame. He is a fantastic shot stopper, quick of his line and good with his feet although his command of the box needs to be worked on. Being so young, this trait could be nurtured and he may seek a move having had to play second fiddle to Asmir Begovic.

Asmir Begovic He was the goalkeeper that was meant to have replaced Pepe Reina but for some reason remained at Stoke City before Simon Mignolet joined the club. To be honest, he seems to have regressed a little over the past 12 months or so and his kicking and command of the box are two traits which he struggles with. An outside bet but not for me.

Victor Valdes Monitored by Liverpool but has failed to overcome his long term injury which may trouble him for the remainder of his future regarding his explosiveness and reflex which Barca were accustomed to. Suspect in the air and prone to the odd calamity from time to time, the Spaniard is superb with the ball at his feet and is one of the best sweeper keepers in the game today. Also known for being a good communicator and not one to shy away from shouting at the defence in front of him.

Sergio Romero Argentine keeper who excels at international level but struggles for game time domestically. A good shot stopper but another who struggles to claim crosses. A great character off the pitch and very vocal on it and good with his feet too. Has it in his locker to overplay at times and also a little hot-headed from time to time.

Samir Handanovic A no-nonsense giant who is about as complete a goalkeeper as you are going to get. Commands his box, shouts at his defence, organises and a fantastic shot stopper to boot. Where he struggles though is with the ball at his feet and he would find it difficult to play the ball out the back as he prefers to punt the ball forward at every opportunity. Handanovic would be my personal choice as a replacement for Mignolet.
      Haven't seen Butland a lot. Isn't he little young to be no 1 here?.

AS you said , Handanavoic is my choice too.

Don't want Romero at all. He is reliant on his speed and reflexes rather than organization ability. Would have all the problems Mig facing now.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #19: Dec 01, 2014 01:10:48 pm

Doesn't fit our style but has the quality to compensate.

Mou does have the balls to sell one of his best players to potential rivals if he is a better judge than their manager - see the Mata trabsfer for an example - but I think Chelsea are still pissed off enough with the Moses loan than business will be tricky.

Incidentally it's interesting to see how all talks of them being our hated rivals (when Torres and Rafa went) disappears when Sturridge or Cech come the other way.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #20: Dec 01, 2014 02:04:56 pm

knows how to win a Title though... He is a top top Manager, thats just a Fact

And on the keeper... i think he would sell to us, as i dont think he see's us as a threat, plus he a good working relationship with Brendan
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #21: Dec 01, 2014 08:32:54 pm
      It will end up being someone like Kevin Trapp of Eintrach Frankfurt. We'll never get a proven goalkeeper!

I'd enjoy Handonavic more than anyone but it won't happen.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #22: Dec 02, 2014 02:40:00 am
      Krul is a good shout.

I don't see why Begovic is out of the question; they already have Butland who is supposed to be the future England n.1, so why do they need two top keepers?

Why does everyone else get 2 of everything and we can't even have 1?!   

Quick Reply