Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (2%)
      Kolo Toure
      17 (16.8%)
      Jose Enrique
      0 (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      20 (19.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      1 (1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      23 (22.8%)
      Joe Allen
      5 (5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      4 (4%)
      Phillip Coutinho
      6 (5.9%)
      Raheem Sterling
      14 (13.9%)
      Rickie Lambert
      9 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Voting closed: Dec 02, 2014 05:06:01 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 31461 times
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Nov 29, 2014 11:43:16 pm
      Hard fought win, hopefully we pick up from this.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #438: Nov 30, 2014 12:04:49 am
      Very gritty performance, the type of performance that turns the confidence around IMO.

The first half was absolutely dire from both teams. We just sat from midfield to defense too deep to cause Stoke problems.

Rodgers HT team talk clearly upped the anti in the second half as we began to press more. The only problem with that is the game can become easily stretched (as it did) if Stoke can trigger an attack that isolates our midfielders who have pressed. I think that's the conundrum for us at the minute as a team, whether we stick or twist. The first half showed we don't have the midfielders (Allen, Henderson or Lucas) or forwards (Lambert) to stick and score when the team is deeper and doesn't press. After half time we began asking the questions by making our midfielders press more and in the past we have been caught out with this game plan, today it worked.

Mignolet: For that world class save alone the keeper deserves an 8 plus the fact he kept a clean sheet. His kicking is awful though, anytime he clears the ball 9/10 he manages to give posession back to the opponents. But as I said, he kept a clean sheet and pulled off a couple of saves, hopefully his confidence can grow a bit.

Johnson: The much maligned 7. Sloppy/caught in possession on a couple of occasions, looks like he's carrying a bit of weight to me couldn't have been any braver for our only goal of the game.

Kolo: 7 The David James of CB did his job well even though the calamitous never looks far away. Just puts his foot throw the ball when in doubt.  ;D Did well, and we need a character/organiser/experienced defender to sort a soft defense out.

Enrique: 6 Solid performance. Good to have him back.

Skertel: 7 Today this Jekyll and Hyde of defenders had one of his better games, Kolo probably had influence in this.

Lucas: 8 Our man of the match IMO. Don't remember the most defensive midfielder ever getting so many nose bleeds. He even pressed. Did the gritty stuff well. Should have scored though.

Allen: 6 In the first half sat as deep as Lucas in the second half got forward more helped out in a gritty midfield performance, should have scored too. But like Henderson doesn't offer enough in the final third.

Henderson: 5 Disappointing for me. Needs to make more runs and support the likes of Lambert. Doesn't influence the final third enough.

Sterling: 7 similar to Ludo, Sterling looked our only pacey threat. Worked his socks off and never gave up.

Coutinho: 6 In and out of the game but always looks to thread and create just doesn't have the forward line to take advantage of his creativity and thinking.

Lambert: 5 I honestly thought he was a bit w*nk today. His touches, passing usually went to the opposition. However, I don't think he's helped or supported enough with numbers in runners like Allen or Henderson.

Well happy with the 3pts, all it needs to do is inject a bit more confidence into the next game and hopefully our performances will pick up.

fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #439: Nov 30, 2014 12:18:22 am
      Every now and again I get to watch the match alone and I can watch what happens here in real time, my point is; I'm glad we got the win no matter how it came to be, just for mostly my fellow fans on here.
      Take it easy tonight ppl. I'll comment further but that's all I'd like to say for now.

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,499 posts | 1491 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #440: Nov 30, 2014 12:42:11 am
      Love it when a hated player gets the winner. What will those "get rid of Johnson" fans say today?
      Get rid of Johnson, obviously

To be fair though, he did have a decent game today; which begs the question why he can't do that every game

Kudos to the Gaffer because whatever he said to them half time, they came out like there was a rocket up their arses
      « Last Edit: Nov 30, 2014 01:08:16 am by Rush »
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #441: Nov 30, 2014 12:52:09 am
      Not a perfect performance by any means but a step in the right direction.

Gave Lucas my MOTM but it was hard to choose between him and Allen as both played very well and made us look a lot more assured in the middle of the park.

Slighty confused why Lucas was subbed for Stevie as I thought it should of been Hendo.

I didn't think i'd say this ever again but well done to Glen Johnson. Showed great determination to get on the end of that.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #442: Nov 30, 2014 01:02:31 am
      Love it when a hated player gets the winner. What will those "get rid of Johnson" fans say today?

I don't hate him.  I just know he isn't good enough.  And one goal won't change my objective analysis of his piss poor performances going back a long long way.  The wages he has been on that goal probably cost us about £10M.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #443: Nov 30, 2014 01:12:26 am

Actually... haven't bothered to check. ;)

One goal doesn't change anything and the part of the game I saw he was having a complete mare, baring in mind I only saw first half. He scored a winning goal, just a shame it doesn't make up for all the goals he has cost us over the last couple of years.

But by all means if you are wanting to go riding away on your high horse then by all means, crack on lad.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #444: Nov 30, 2014 01:14:46 am
      One goal doesn't change anything and the part of the game I saw he was having a complete mare, baring in mind I only saw first half. He scored a winning goal, just a shame it doesn't make up for all the goals he has cost us over the last couple of years.

I agree, I didn't think Johnson had a good game too, nearly cost us early on as well!! I still want Johnson out :)

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #445: Nov 30, 2014 01:21:10 am

Actually... haven't bothered to check. ;)

If it weren't for the post, Johnson would have been at fault for Bojan scoring.

Great effort to score the goal but i think it's clear as day this has to be his last season at the club. He was dire for 85 minutes. He did skin his man twice to get down the right flank in a good position but he also tried to do that another 3 or 4 times and failed…including in our own box.

Begovic was very confident in his movement for Stoke. Couldn't help but think i wish we swapped keepers. He came out and commanded his area very well. Mignolet improved but twice came out for corners and flapped about. Also the Diouf chance in the second half from the long ball he refused to come off his line. No confidence in him off the ball but that save at the end was just outstanding. Typical Mignolet performance, a superb save to show his amazing reflexes but no command.

Midfield was proper sh*te in the first half. Second half they turned it on and Allen, i do give him crap for being a very limited player, but he did really well. Got forward and coulda shoulda scored but was supporting everything. Lucas was terrific throughout. Hendo was poor but improved in the second half.

Sterling and Phillipe in the first half were just not producing the final ball and supplying Ricky but they were probably best players on the pitch in the second half.

Ricky grafted and held the ball up and brought others in terrifically i thought considering the service he got.

Kolo is first name on the team sheet. Perfect performance - he constantly took charge at the back and no nonsense. Complete polar opposite to Lovren.

A lot to build on. Glad we play so soon after this so we can try build some momentum.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #446: Nov 30, 2014 03:00:27 am
      If it weren't for the post, Johnson would have been at fault for Bojan scoring.

Great effort to score the goal but i think it's clear as day this has to be his last season at the club. He was dire for 85 minutes. He did skin his man twice to get down the right flank in a good position but he also tried to do that another 3 or 4 times and failed…including in our own box.

Begovic was very confident in his movement for Stoke. Couldn't help but think i wish we swapped keepers. He came out and commanded his area very well. Mignolet improved but twice came out for corners and flapped about. Also the Diouf chance in the second half from the long ball he refused to come off his line. No confidence in him off the ball but that save at the end was just outstanding. Typical Mignolet performance, a superb save to show his amazing reflexes but no command.

Midfield was proper sh*te in the first half. Second half they turned it on and Allen, i do give him crap for being a very limited player, but he did really well. Got forward and coulda shoulda scored but was supporting everything. Lucas was terrific throughout. Hendo was poor but improved in the second half.

Sterling and Phillipe in the first half were just not producing the final ball and supplying Ricky but they were probably best players on the pitch in the second half.

Ricky grafted and held the ball up and brought others in terrifically i thought considering the service he got.

Kolo is first name on the team sheet. Perfect performance - he constantly took charge at the back and no nonsense. Complete polar opposite to Lovren.

A lot to build on. Glad we play so soon after this so we can try build some momentum.

Wrong. Lucas was megged too easily. Johnson was out of position and as a DM it's his job to fill a void, he did it but Bojan waltzed passed him too easily to whack it onto the post.

Please, I understand many hate him but let's no re-write footballing history in an effort to cement our hate for a player.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #447: Nov 30, 2014 03:12:06 am
      Im honestly chuffed to bits.

Havent been this happy about a win in ages and really think we turned the cliche corner.

Was it poetry in motion? No. Was it a great performance. No. Was it a massive improvement. YES.

Almost everyone put in a great shift (just cant help myself, Enrique was muck).

Bring on Leicester.

Its amazing what 2 games on the bounce will do to our confidence.

It was like the crowd breathed life into the team in the second half. The 1st half was the opposite, the crowds noise when we were poor was detrimental.

Has anyone ever had a howler on the footie pitch and someone is given you jip over it? Its so much harder to get out of your funk when your getting it in the ear too..... Thats exactly what the crowd were doing 1st half - kinda rightly but would be better doing a chant everytime we are being poor as opposed to getting on the players backs. Easily said.

Not being a tw*t here an innocent question was you at the game  ? I only ask to find out your views on the crowd  as sometimes watching it on the box can be misleading , one more thing I know Glen scored but how anyone rated him over Lucas today is fvkin baffling by far his best performance in a red shirt pre injury.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #448: Nov 30, 2014 05:46:57 am
      A win, a clean sheet and Johnson scored. This must be some sort of dream surely?!

Wouldnt mind it one bit if this was a recurring dream :)
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #449: Nov 30, 2014 07:12:57 am
      Wouldnt mind it one bit if this was a recurring dream :)

unlikely.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #450: Nov 30, 2014 07:15:18 am

Glen Johnson has been sh*te for literally the last 2 years.  He scores one goal and suddenly you think everything is right with him?  so, what, did the last 2 years not happen?

So much for us having the most intelligent supporters in the world.  Him scoring against Stoke literally changes nothing.  He's been rubbish and unless he suddenly has a miraculous turnaround and plays out of his skin for the next 15 games in a row, there's no reason to think that this is anything other than a fluke.

I mean really, who in their right mind has watched all of our games for the last few seasons, then thinks that suddenly the way he played for several years is wiped away by him scoring one goal?

are there really people that think like that?
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #451: Nov 30, 2014 07:23:38 am
      3 points is 3 points and although we still looked nervous at times it was an all-round better performance. Johnson taking some stitches for the team and getting a goal doesn't hide the fact that most of the time he looks like he cant be arsed. Kolo needs a run in the team now and although I think Lovren would give a better performance with Lucas in front of him I think Kolo should keep his place for now. I gave Lucas MOTM, so will Brendan stick with him, well if he doesn't I think that's a sack able offence right there. Rickie to keep his place also but I would drop Hendo for Lallana.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,749 posts | 882 
      Reply #452: Nov 30, 2014 07:39:12 am

Perhaps so, but that sounds like a far better fan than one who is always looking for the next player to moan about and demand that he never wears the shirt again!

There's a difference in noting poor games and form from players, and looking for every opportunity to blame them, and count their every mistake. Johnson is one of those of the latter. He's not half as bad as some make out.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #453: Nov 30, 2014 08:07:23 am
      He's not half as bad as some make out.

Johnson?

yes.  he is that bad.  he really, really is.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #454: Nov 30, 2014 09:10:09 am
      Ok I've slept on it and rewatched the match, anyone who said that was more like it needs their bumps feeling, we were at home to stoke yes " F***ing STOKE" and they had more possession near enough same amount of shots and corners and were very unlucky not to get anything from the game.

How Johnson is still starting for me is the biggest mystery of modern times equalled only by Lock Ness. He's beyond sh*t. That Brendan only started with one of the summer signings shows that someone as fu**ed up big time in the transfer window. My conclusion......it's going to be a long hard season.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,499 posts | 1491 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #455: Nov 30, 2014 09:14:15 am
      Ok I've slept on it and rewatched the match, anyone who said that was more like it needs their bumps feeling, we were at home to stoke yes " F***ing STOKE" and they had more possession near enough same amount of shots and corners and were very unlucky not to get anything from the game.
      Yeah but, 'more like it' doesn't necessarily equate to 'we're back!'. It just means it was much better than past performances; which wasn't a difficult task seeing how poor we've been of late

How Johnson is still starting for me is the biggest mystery of modern times equalled only by Lock Ness. He's beyond sh*t. That Brendan only started with one of the summer signings shows that someone as fu**ed up big time in the transfer window. My conclusion......it's going to be a long hard season.
      Agreed
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #456: Nov 30, 2014 09:15:12 am
      Glen Johnson has been sh*te for literally the last 2 years.  He scores one goal and suddenly you think everything is right with him?  so, what, did the last 2 years not happen?

So much for us having the most intelligent supporters in the world.  Him scoring against Stoke literally changes nothing.  He's been rubbish and unless he suddenly has a miraculous turnaround and plays out of his skin for the next 15 games in a row, there's no reason to think that this is anything other than a fluke.

I mean really, who in their right mind has watched all of our games for the last few seasons, then thinks that suddenly the way he played for several years is wiped away by him scoring one goal?

Harsh but true.Changes nothing.But damn that was a cool suicide finish.
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #457: Nov 30, 2014 09:24:01 am
      Ok so we did the first thing we need to to turn this season around.We attacked.Not very effective,flowing or pretty,but the first step is the mentality and strategic change.We got the 3,on to the next one...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #458: Nov 30, 2014 10:20:55 am
      Wrong. Lucas was megged too easily. Johnson was out of position and as a DM it's his job to fill a void, he did it but Bojan waltzed passed him too easily to whack it onto the post.

Please, I understand many hate him but let's no re-write footballing history in an effort to cement our hate for a player.

Exactly.

The more i watch that Joe Allen chance go over the bar the more i fall in love with the move. We've not seen that phase of play at all this season. The best of each of those players coming to the fore with Hendo, Coutinho's sexy footwork, Raheem's positioning and vision and then teeing up a great chance. Ok it didn't go in but if we do more of that we won't be the dire side we've been for 99% of the season.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #459: Nov 30, 2014 10:29:49 am
      Exactly.

The more i watch that Joe Allen chance go over the bar the more i fall in love with the move. We've not seen that phase of play at all this season. The best of each of those players coming to the fore with Hendo, Coutinho's sexy footwork, Raheem's positioning and vision and then teeing up a great chance. Ok it didn't go in but if we do more of that we won't be the dire side we've been for 99% of the season.

Fullbacks bomb in Rodgers' team. Exactly. If they're out the DM must cover.

Simple.

Quick Reply