Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM?

Simon Mignolet
      2 (2%)
      Kolo Toure
      17 (16.8%)
      Jose Enrique
      0 (0%)
      Glen Johnson
      20 (19.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      1 (1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      23 (22.8%)
      Joe Allen
      5 (5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      4 (4%)
      Phillip Coutinho
      6 (5.9%)
      Raheem Sterling
      14 (13.9%)
      Rickie Lambert
      9 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Voting closed: Dec 02, 2014 05:06:01 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 31443 times
      LFCexiled
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Nov 30, 2014 10:36:03 am
      Exactly.

The more i watch that Joe Allen chance go over the bar the more i fall in love with the move.

Aye, poetry in motion some might say, I long for its overdue return.

1:28 0nwards.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jvENKOkxto
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,921 posts | 4986 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #461: Nov 30, 2014 12:12:03 pm
      Let's face it, we were sh*te yesterday,  especially first half,  second half we were less sh*te, however,  there were glimpses of improvement and however small, something to build on,

Now, like most I've been giving Johnson pelters but credit where credits due, he stuck his head in there got us that goal and  probably the 3 points,
      A turning point in our season?  Who knows it could turn out that way,

Look, we've won, we had a clean sheet, small mercy's I know but let's build on it, think we have Leicester at the kingpower next week,  a very winnable game, one game at a time is all we have to do right now, small steps to get the confidence going.

YNWA
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #462: Nov 30, 2014 12:48:19 pm
      Oooh is that the Stoke, yes f*cking STOKE who went to City and won.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Stoke went to city gave up 80% possession over three times as many shots on target corners etc and stole a win, if you comparing to how city played that day to yesterday you're mad.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #463: Nov 30, 2014 01:12:28 pm
      I gave my MOTM to Raheem - thought he looked our most dangerous player and more like the player he can be.  Thought Coutinho was also quite good, but does have a tendency to drift out of games.

I really don't know what Lallana is doing on the training ground to not get in the team - I have really liked what I have seen of him so far but something seems not quite right.

Was surprised to see the back 4 with no new players in it, but a clean sheet is a clean sheet. 
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #464: Nov 30, 2014 01:46:10 pm
      Ok.. i think most of us know johnson is sh*te and this will probably be his last season for us.  But how about giving the lad a bit of credit for his suicide header.  Alot of other players wouldve hesitated or used their foot... both scenarios would not have resulted in a goal and we would end the game with a draw and just 1 pt.

at least till the next game we cut him some slack. Johnson at least showed determination there.  All i read is like 2 pgs saying how sh*te he is.. same thing over and over.  Yes he is sh*te but sometimes a flash of brilliance can overshadow the sh*te.  We walked away with 3 pts and a clean sheet. 
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #465: Nov 30, 2014 01:51:21 pm
      Ok.. i think most of us know johnson is sh*te and this will probably be his last season for us.  But how about giving the lad a bit of credit for his suicide header.  Alot of other players wouldve hesitated or used their foot... both scenarios would not have resulted in a goal and we would end the game with a draw and just 1 pt.

How about at least till the next game we cut him some slack. Johnson at least showed determination there

He gets maximum credit, not sure what that means in terms of him starting in future for me, if he starts I'll still not want him to, but he was a brave nutcase for that goal and I thank him.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #466: Nov 30, 2014 02:55:20 pm
      They went there and got the job done: simple. The point is this, If you or anyone else think there is an easy game in this league you are in fantasy land, or maybe too young or immature to understand. Of course Stoke were under pressure at City you fool, BUT City only had 2 shots on target and so did Stoke, but Stoke put one of theirs away.

"Immature", "too young", and "fool" all in one paragraph !!!! You outdone yourself there kid. Plus who said there is an easy game in the premiership? However if you think it's acceptable for a Liverpool side to be dominated in possession by Stoke at home you are indeed a different kind of fan than I am and I congratulate you.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #467: Nov 30, 2014 03:20:52 pm
      I apologise, you just sound young in your view of the game of football. Teams like Stoke have one way of playing for obvious reasons and that is why it's sometimes difficult to break them down, but to say we were dominated makes you sound as if you didn't watch the game. We were much improved in the 2nd half and played well, and if we carry on in that vein we're gonna be OK. My quote was directed at the City vs Stoke game and at no time did I say it was ever "acceptable" to be dominated at home by any team. You are making things up to suit some sort of agenda.

You are right Stoke have found a way of sitting deep and soaking up pressure when playing the top sides, which makes it even more gauling that they come to Anfield and have 53% of the possession ( yes I watched it ) and you could argue the better chances, if we had lost the game yesterday no one could of argued. Was I happy with the win? Yes obviously was I happy with the performance ? Not in the slightest, again it's all about opinions but yours that " if we carry on in that vein we will be ok " I disagree with. In my opinion if we play like we did yesterday we will lose more than we will win.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #468: Nov 30, 2014 03:30:43 pm
      You are right Stoke have found a way of sitting deep and soaking up pressure when playing the top sides, which makes it even more gauling that they come to Anfield and have 53% of the possession ( yes I watched it ) and you could argue the better chances, if we had lost the game yesterday no one could of argued. Was I happy with the win? Yes obviously was I happy with the performance ? Not in the slightest, again it's all about opinions but yours that " if we carry on in that vein we will be ok " I disagree with. In my opinion if we play like we did yesterday we will lose more than we will win.

I agree mate, yesterday was a 50/50 game that could have gone either way. I think though we have to celebrate the fact that it went our way and hope that the confidence gained may stand us in good stead for the next game, rather than looking at the negatives.

We all know if we had lost yesterday the knives would have been out in force, this thread would be at least double in size and many of the people saying how wonderful everything is now would have been lighting torches and sharpening their pitchforks, but thankfully we won and we can take the 3 points and try and forget that first half and concentrate on the positives.

From where we were at half time.... we have come a long way.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #469: Nov 30, 2014 03:33:25 pm
      I feel sorry for Johnson who gets all the criticism because he's not nearly as bad as Skrtel who is the root problem of all our defensive woes.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #470: Nov 30, 2014 04:34:33 pm
      I feel sorry for Johnson who gets all the criticism because he's not nearly as bad as Skrtel who is the root problem of all our defensive woes.

They are both similar in there defensive problems.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,146 posts | 2779 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #471: Nov 30, 2014 04:36:17 pm
      Great day

3 points clean sheet and Johnson contributing something..

Onwards and upwards

By the way Lambert makes a massive difference to us
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,524 posts | 1661 
      • YNWA
      Reply #472: Nov 30, 2014 05:03:23 pm
      Saw extended highlights yesterday, few good chances in the second half alright. Glad I didn't see Allen's miss in real time, cause I'd have hit the roof - nailed on goal he missed there. Sterling and Lucas also has pretty good chances to score. Must have looked like wasn't going to be our day, so fair play to Glen, he saw the chance and really went for it.
      Roll on, and over, the foxes :)
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #473: Nov 30, 2014 05:15:58 pm
      That Bojan looked a good player, needs mentioning, he probably has been, I haven't had time to look back at the thread.
      We were lucky to win, but you earn luck n' all that.
      RedRepublican
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts |
      Reply #474: Nov 30, 2014 06:52:41 pm
      Pleased to get the win. And clean sheet is very welcome. Three more points against the Foxes please.

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #475: Nov 30, 2014 08:20:42 pm
      That Bojan looked a good player, needs mentioning, he probably has been, I haven't had time to look back at the thread.
      We were lucky to win, but you earn luck n' all that.

Yea.. I thought that as well.. makes you wonder why, once again, our equivalent player, £20M Markovic spent the whole game on the bench....baffles me how a player that was so sort after in the summer by loads of clubs is not playing on a regular basis down our right hand side.. proven by a full back having to pounce on the loose ball from Lamberts effort....
      I've always thought Johnson is better suited to a midfield role which is why I constantly have a go at him as a full back..he got caught out of position loads of times against yer man Bojan..

gave my MOTM to Henderson who got his arse in to gear and spurred us on with a future captains performance...

Bringing Lovren on for Couthino whilst Johnson was receiving treatment was to me the wrong move..okay I understand we need to keep the lead, but why didn't we go for another?..
      Instead, it invited Stoke on to us... god knows how many corners they had after we scored , plus the dodgy Mignolet flapping did wonders for my Tachycardia....

I'm convinced Joe Allen will eventually score our goal of the season... it will happen..

I said 3-1 but i'll take the 1-0.. thanks..

Leicester away next.....i'll have another 1-0 if you don't mind..

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #476: Nov 30, 2014 08:55:47 pm
      Captains performance from Henderson. Great showing from Lucas. Even Mignolet looked like a Liverpool player for the first time in months. Good.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #477: Nov 30, 2014 09:07:18 pm
      Changing the tactics just when our attacking football took the pressure away from our defenders was a risky move, it worked some may say but it wasn't comfortable to watch.
      I honestly can't fathom what new players have to do over the course of BR's tenure here, because we've seen players come and go without making a Mark (ovic).
      I've got no problems with you giving motm to Henderson, I gave it to Sterling because he was very active even though he had no one near him in most instances, it kept the ball in their half- great.

I think Markovic will become liked here, but then I think back to all the players we buy and don't use, he may end up like that, he'll get better and better the more we see him. I rated him before he signed for us and I haven't seen him play to his full potential with Liverpool, he's young, bit of patience with him.
      That Bojan fella was causing us all kinds of trouble. Useful player it looks like, I'll keep my eye out for him this season.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #478: Nov 30, 2014 09:49:57 pm
      The first half highlights on MOTD were a good 40 seconds.. says it all really.. no shots on target from both teams..
      Watching the actual first half (on telly) was like watching paint dry..

Lets not get too carried away here.. that was an okay second half performance against a mid to low table team Stoke City and we just about nicked it..

3 points are 3 points...

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,526 posts | 719 
      Reply #479: Dec 01, 2014 12:59:05 am
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #480: Dec 01, 2014 08:19:28 am
      Quote from Mad4LFC
      Ok I've slept on it and rewatched the match, anyone who said that was more like it needs their bumps feeling, we were at home to stoke yes " F***ing STOKE" and they had more possession near enough same amount of shots and corners and were very unlucky not to get anything from the game.

2008/09: Liverpool 0-0 Stoke
      2011/12: Liverpool 0-0 Stoke
      2012/13: Liverpool 0-0 Stoke

2013/14, 2014/15: Payback Time.

As in the seasons above, I thought we should have won the games, so I have no sympathy for Stoke whatsoever now. 

This was the first of 8 league games by January 1. Just like last year, beating Stoke at home wasn't pretty, it wasn't convincing, but it can give us something to build on. Beat Leicester and Sunderland, and confidence will start to flow again, bang on time for the bigger games to come.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #481: Dec 01, 2014 08:55:17 am
      How Johnson is still starting for me is the biggest mystery of modern times equalled only by Lock Ness.
      A mystery as in: what the F**k is "Lock" Ness?   ;D

Joking aside M4: There have been many times he hasn't started, over the past two seasons so you have plenty to actually (and accurately) compare him with: who would you have started, in his place? What 'trick' was Brendan missing, in your opinion?

-------------------------------------------

Scrappy game - three points, clean sheet and most importantly (for me): we actually created a number of chances in the second half. Something I had noticed was absent.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #482: Dec 01, 2014 10:32:47 am
      We seemed to have gone back to our strengths based on this game. The high pitch pressing, nice movement and slick passing was back though we have yet to reach the heights of last season but this was a step in the right direction.

Playing Lambert has helped us a lot and with him upfront it seems the likes of Sterling and Cou have got their passing range and movement back. I wonder if playing Mario was affecting the game of other offensive players and they were no longer sure what to do. Hope Lambert sees all the action from now until Sturridge is back.

Quick Reply