Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Current Music (Changed from Music of 2014)

Read 21935 times
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Re: Music of 2014
      Reply #23: Dec 20, 2014 01:32:10 pm
      There is only two ways going on heroin.. You either die or become a genius. Probably the best LP of 2014, after 15 years wait, DĀ“Angelo, the king of soul/rnb/funk whatever, is back. Enjoy the moment

Dā€™Angeloā€™s long-awaited Black Messiah is devastatingly great

Whatā€™s remarkable about Black Messiah, other than the fact that it actually exists, is how fresh Dā€™Angelo sounds when slotted next to modern R&B artists. Itā€™s the same trick The Roots pull off with every new albumā€”sounding inherently classic yet completely of the present. Thereā€™s a thematic and sonic awareness to Black Messiahā€”credited to Dā€™Angelo And The Vanguardā€”that makes it so much more than a long-delayed comeback album from an artist widely declared a genius some 15 years ago. Itā€™s somehow the past, present, and future all in one.

The album most obviously akin to Black Messiah on a musical level is Sly And The Family Stoneā€™s Thereā€™s A Riot Goinā€™ On; both are narcotic, weary, funky, and seductive. But there are also shades of Marvin Gayeā€™s Whatā€™s Going On and Sign Oā€™ The Times-era Prince, not to mention a heavy dose of Funkadelic and Stevie Wonder. The plethora of influences, instruments, and effects are revelatory; every arrangement feels like a living, breathing organism that can mutate and grow. On the politically charged ā€œ1000 Deaths,ā€ it comes in the form of a shift from a blend of chunky, atmospheric riffs to a full-on, Eddie Hazel-inspired guitar freakout. Itā€™s also present on ā€œSugah Daddy,ā€ where a looping piano line and off-kilter handclaps occasionally recede into the background, making way for Dā€™Angeloā€™s layered harmonies and panning studio effects.

For a record that obviously took a long time to produce, Black Messiah is surprisingly loose. Classical guitars weave around a wandering bass on the ballad ā€œReally Love,ā€ the inclusion of horns and strings never making the song feel crowded. The beauty of this record is in the balance: between the political and the personal, certainly, but also between tightly constructed harmonies and melodies, and the more free-flowing sense of rhythm. For instance, ā€œThe Charadeā€ features one of the more ethereal arrangements on the record, with Dā€™Angeloā€™s voice tweaked and layered to a surprising degree. Itā€™s confounding, but then the lyrics poke through and suddenly thereā€™s an urgency to the track, something to anchor it: ā€œAll we wanted was a chance to talk / ā€™stead we only got outlined in chalk / Feet have bled a million miles weā€™ve walked / Revealing at the end of the day, the charade.ā€ Then thereā€™s ā€œBack To The Future (Part I),ā€ a slinky funk jam that finds Dā€™Angelo longing for the way things were. The singer is obtuse though, never really identifying what he wishes hadnā€™t changed. Himself? R&B? A romantic relationship? Black Messiah benefits from being so cryptic, managing to sound poignant, relaxed, and seductive at the same time.

Donā€™t mistake relaxed for complacent, though. Black Messiah doesnā€™t sound like anything else this year, or maybe even the last decade. Itā€™s an album that pays homage to the history of black music, from blues, funk, and soul through to hip-hop and modern R&B while remaining in touch with current socio-economic and political struggles. Maybe thatā€™s because those modern struggles arenā€™t so different from the ones in the past. Black Messiah confirms that music holds the power to challenge and comfort, to take us someplace spiritual, political, and existential. Itā€™s beautifully, devastatingly human.

http://www.avclub.com/review/dangelo-long-awaited-black-messiah-devastatingly-g-213052
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #24: Dec 20, 2014 05:56:59 pm
      I really liked The War on Drugs Lost in the Dream. Some really wonderful, 80s influenced pop there. Brother bought Lykke Li's album a few weeks back which I listened to recently and that was excellent. Loved U2's new album Songs of Innocence as well (of which Lykke Li featured as well). Think the last three songs on that album are stunning and amongst the best work they've done in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91lw-hfafdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWOuj_bkNRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDondcmvKE8
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #25: Jan 30, 2015 08:57:42 pm
      Not sure how I missed this song earlier this year but it instantly got stuck in my head.

Hero - Family of the Year
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #26: Feb 14, 2015 12:28:51 pm
      Not sure how I missed this song earlier this year but it instantly got stuck in my head.

Hero - Family of the Year

British India - Wrong Direction Not my favourite song from them, but this is their best 2014 release.

DMAs - Delete

DMAs - So We Know

The former is their biggest song I believe, but the latter is the one that got me onto these guys, I think they're a really promising indie rock style band.

Kingswood - I can feel that you don't love me

Kingswood - Microwars

Kingswood - Sucker Punch

Saw these guys live recently and they're pretty awesome. Sucker Punch has some kick to it.

Ball Park Music - She Only Loves Me When I'm There

This is just a super catchy song.

So yeh this is the best of what I feel Australia had to offer for 2014.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Current Music (Changed from Music of 2014)
      Reply #27: Feb 14, 2015 12:35:55 pm
      Just edited the title to keep the thread current.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #28: Mar 11, 2015 12:47:25 pm
      Was never a huge Beck fan but I absolutely love his latest album Morning Phase.

Proper artist glad he won the Grammy for best album.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #29: Mar 11, 2015 02:20:54 pm

This is brilliant.

It's Queens of the Foo's Garden
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #30: Jul 19, 2015 10:34:17 pm
      Might not be everyones cup of tea but the duel albums of Cope and Hope by Manchester Orchestra is a piece of musical genius in my eyes.

One album, "Cope", is a "unrelenting and unapologetically heavy 38 minutes of rock." the other takes the same tracks and the other "Hope" is a stripped down acoustic version which is done beautifully. Both albums are on Youtube I would recommend them both very very highly.

Below is the song "Trees" from both albums and will give you a flavour of the reworking the band are able to do so effortlessly. They are completely different albums and at the same time the same. I can't get enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wIpAg88jmk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMtn8ja-M0Q

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #31: Jul 28, 2017 05:06:33 pm
      Hope everyone can get by and not be tooooooooo distraught with this shocking news

https://twitter.com/originalfm/status/890934474707533825

:lmao:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #32: Jul 29, 2017 01:09:31 am
      Hope everyone can get by and not be tooooooooo distraught with this shocking news

https://twitter.com/originalfm/status/890934474707533825

:lmao:

Bowie, Prince...now this??
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #33: Jan 17, 2019 04:48:50 pm
      New song by The Beat on steve lamacq!sounds ok on first listen better than The Specials new song currently going round....what year is this!
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #34: Jan 23, 2019 06:22:34 pm
      Anyone hear The Mysterines on 6music now,Wirral band some vocals from this girl!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #35: Jan 23, 2019 10:17:22 pm
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #36: Feb 01, 2019 08:33:27 pm
      Hour of The Specials live from The 100 Club,https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00028jb.Went there a few times back in the day.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #37: Mar 17, 2020 07:21:56 pm
      Just heard the band Courting on 6 music,not to bad a song on first hearing,from Liverpool anyone?
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #38: Mar 26, 2020 02:26:06 pm
      Anybody got anything new,might be worth a listen to with so much time on our ears,no dance sh*t!

Quick Reply