Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Buying in v using who we have?

Read 3260 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Buying in v using who we have?
      Dec 09, 2014 12:45:23 pm
      With the January transfer window fast approaching, the discontent with our transfer policy and the rumours that Ojo and/or Sinclair may be on the bench tonight I thought it might be good to get some discussion going as to how people view things.

As fans we know we need real quality and experience in the squad but we also know that's not how we do things, this thread is not meant to be about who we should buy, the type of players we need, the transfer policy, our owner or our manager.  It's to gauge whether you would prefer to use the young talent we already have or spend money in January on more potential.

These are our current players aged 22 and under that have already featured with the 1st team or are out on loan getting 1st team experience.

Jon Flannagan
      Javi Manquillo - on loan from Athletico
      Andre Wisdom - on loan at WBA
      Tiago Ilori - on loan at Bordeaux
      Alberto Moreno
      Rafa Paez - on loan at Bologna
      Emre Can
      Phillipe Coutinho
      Raheem Sterling
      Joao Texeira - on loan at Brighton
      Suso
      Lazar Markovic
      Luis Alberto - on loan at Malaga
      Jordon Ibe - on loan at Derby
      Divock Origi - on loan at Lille

Personally I'd rather we use what we have, certainly until the summer then reassess who stays and who goes.
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: Buying in v using who we have?
      Reply #1: Dec 09, 2014 12:54:35 pm
      We need a top class forward Debs, without one we won't move forward.. But it has to be the right one.

So I'd say yes buy a top forward, the rest can wait but if we aren't in the market for the level we need use what we have.

Blood the talent
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Dec 09, 2014 12:56:38 pm
      With the January transfer window fast approaching, the discontent with our transfer policy and the rumours that Ojo and/or Sinclair may be on the bench tonight I thought it might be good to get some discussion going as to how people view things.

As fans we know we need real quality and experience in the squad but we also know that's not how we do things, this thread is not meant to be about who we should buy, the type of players we need, the transfer policy, our owner or our manager.  It's to gauge whether you would prefer to use the young talent we already have or spend money in January on more potential.

These are our current players aged 22 and under that have already featured with the 1st team or are out on loan getting 1st team experience.

Jon Flannagan
      Alberto Moreno
      Emre Can
      Phillipe Coutinho
      Raheem Sterling
      Suso
      Lazar Markovic

Personally I'd rather we use what we have, certainly until the summer then reassess who stays and who goes.

I'd prioritise strikers.
      It's where our season has fallen apart.
      To be bluntly honest, if it meant we got the right ones next summer I'd gladly sign nobody in January.
      Problem is we've stumbled between terrible transfer windows for awhile now.

The other point is this.
      The league is terrible this season.
      One or two correct signings could turn this season on it's head,
      much like Sturridge and Coutinho did in Rodgers' first season.

If it came down to it I think we need to make a signing up top,
      even if that meant moving on one or two in the process.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #3: Dec 09, 2014 12:57:27 pm

Jon Flannagan
      Alberto Moreno
      Emre Can
      Phillipe Coutinho
      Raheem Sterling
      Suso
      Lazar Markovic

Yeah. Certainly agree with that sentiment. See who are keepers and who are dead wood, then sell accordingly and put the money to good use.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Dec 09, 2014 12:58:08 pm
      See who are keepers and who are dead wood

Some are both.

I've said it before.
      It's not the youngsters that are the current problem.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #5: Dec 09, 2014 01:02:11 pm
      Some are both.

I've said it before.

It's not Race no, and neither are the creative bunch we have in the middle, it's the lack of creative movement and options from the forwards
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6: Dec 09, 2014 01:04:09 pm
      It's not Race no, and neither are the creative bunch we have in the middle, it's the lack of creative movement and options from the forwards

Lambert, Borini, Balotelli.

None are the answer to our striker problems.
      Two shouldn't have been bought in the summer and one wouldn't leave.

Our strikeforce ladies and gentlemen.
      Post SAS it's comical.

Whoever was in charge of that scouting needs to address it ASAP or needs sacking.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #7: Dec 09, 2014 01:05:43 pm
      We need a top class forward Debs, without one we won't move forward.. But it has to be the right one.

So I'd say yes buy a top forward, the rest can wait but if we aren't in the market for the level we need use what we have.

Blood the talent

I'd prioritise strikers.
      It's where our season has fallen apart.
      To be bluntly honest, if it meant we got the right ones next summer I'd gladly sign nobody in January.
      Problem is we've stumbled between terrible transfer windows for awhile now.

The other point is this.
      The league is terrible this season.
      One or two correct signings could turn this season on it's head,
      much like Sturridge and Coutinho did in Rodgers' first season.

If it came down to it I think we need to make a signing up top,
      even if that meant moving on one or two in the process.

I agree we desperately need strikers, we've needed them coming through the Academy for a long time now.  I also agree with and was mainly my point of the thread, if we aren't going to buy who we need then don't buy anyone.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #8: Dec 09, 2014 01:08:55 pm
      I agree we desperately need strikers, we've needed them coming through the Academy for a long time now.  I also agree with and was mainly my point of the thread, if we aren't going to buy who we need then don't buy anyone.

Exactly. No more panic signings.
      Last two were Carroll and Balotelli.
      Both were disastrous.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #9: Dec 09, 2014 01:15:07 pm

Post SAS it's comical.

Whoever was in charge of that scouting needs to address it ASAP or needs sacking.

I never got the thought process in the summer mate, we had/have a team set up for one way of playing, a fluid movement, players suited in the creative positions that suit that type of forward, yet we signed two forwards that are the polar opposite

Why? I don't understand even as a second option it then relies on the whole side having to change the way they play, and that's clearly not suiting them either.

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #10: Dec 09, 2014 01:20:41 pm

Undoubtedly I'd prefer if we functioned like a big club in the transfer windows; that is, buying top experienced players and the odd youngster with a bright future.

For us it seems the complete opposite - prioritising on bringing in the youth and buy the odd experienced player.

A team full of kids will never work. a kid may be able to tear it up in the U20's, but when it comes to top flight football he'll have to adjust his game significantly. This is something Rodofolo was concerned about when Rodgers brought Suso and Raheem straight into the first team. He wanted them to continue to develop their game before hitting the big stage. Rodgers wanted them to develop their game on the big stage, which can prove to be counter productive. Luckily Raheem is a very quick learner and is able to develop his talent in the first team instead of at youth level.

So to get to the point, I'd rather us have players that are ready to deliver the goods. I'm not sure our youngsters can offer that for the 2nd part of the season, but it is what it is. I'm disappointed we were not able to slowly blood Ibe in this season. I think he's a real talent and wouldn't want him mixing it up with championship standard players for too long.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #11: Dec 09, 2014 01:23:56 pm
      Some are both.

I've said it before.

Post SAS it's comical.

I'd keep Lambert as a plan B which is what he was bought for but the others can go.  We do need another striker though either in January or the summer even with Origi coming but they must be the right striker, which we seem to F**k up spectacularly.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #12: Dec 09, 2014 01:39:01 pm
      Undoubtedly I'd prefer if we functioned like a big club in the transfer windows; that is, buying top experienced players and the odd youngster with a bright future.

For us it seems the complete opposite - prioritising on bringing in the youth and buy the odd experienced player.

A team full of kids will never work. a kid may be able to tear it up in the U20's, but when it comes to top flight football he'll have to adjust his game significantly. This is something Rodofolo was concerned about when Rodgers brought Suso and Raheem straight into the first team. He wanted them to continue to develop their game before hitting the big stage. Rodgers wanted them to develop their game on the big stage, which can prove to be counter productive. Luckily Raheem is a very quick learner and is able to develop his talent in the first team instead of at youth level.

So to get to the point, I'd rather us have players that are ready to deliver the goods. I'm not sure our youngsters can offer that for the 2nd part of the season, but it is what it is. I'm disappointed we were not able to slowly blood Ibe in this season. I think he's a real talent and wouldn't want him mixing it up with championship standard players for too long.

I get what you're saying but my point was would you rather we buy more or stick with what we have as we aren't going to buy the experience we need.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #13: Dec 09, 2014 01:56:47 pm
      I get what you're saying but my point was would you rather we buy more or stick with what we have as we aren't going to buy the experience we need.

Depends on position. If that youngster is a striker, super quick and explosive I'd be in support of that transfer. Anywhere else then no.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #14: Dec 09, 2014 02:00:32 pm
      Depends on position. If that youngster is a striker, super quick and explosive I'd be in support of that transfer. Anywhere else then no.

Same here mate.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #15: Dec 09, 2014 02:02:26 pm

I'd be happy to use what we've got, but sadly Ibe, Wisdom and Origi are on loan and it would be almost impossible to break those loan deals.

For all those who say you can't do good business in January I'd say it's the only time we have done any decent business in recent years.  Suarez and Sturridge.  Not even overpriced either.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16: Dec 09, 2014 02:15:38 pm
      I'd be happy to use what we've got, but sadly Ibe, Wisdom and Origi are on loan and it would be almost impossible to break those loan deals.

For all those who say you can't do good business in January I'd say it's the only time we have done any decent business in recent years.  Suarez and Sturridge.  Not even overpriced either.

True that.
      Oh how we need another one.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #17: Dec 09, 2014 02:19:17 pm

There's definitely good players to be had in January, there's a fair few coming to the end of contracts that would help us in the here and now so let's hope we're doing whatever necessary to get them in.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #18: Dec 09, 2014 05:12:51 pm
      don't understand how you loan manquillo and send wisdom on loan, why not keep wisdom ? hope he comes back in january
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #19: Dec 09, 2014 05:18:19 pm
      We just need to go all out and buy a quality CF and a quality GK. Maybe a new fullback if GJ leaves.

Quick Reply