Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W10 D9 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Kolo Toure
      9 (13%)
      Glen Johnson
      2 (2.9%)
      Martin Skrtel
      0 (0%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (1.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (1.4%)
      Lucas Leiva
      39 (56.5%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Phillip Coutinho
      2 (2.9%)
      Raheem Sterling
      9 (13%)
      Rickie Lambert
      0 (0%)
      Steven Gerrard
      6 (8.7%)
      Lazar Markovic
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Voting closed: Dec 09, 2014 05:10:21 pm

Liverpool 0-0 Sunderland: In game and Post Match analysis

Read 29480 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Sunderland: In game and Post Match analysis
      Reply #368: Dec 06, 2014 05:58:00 pm
      It isn't a bad return until we lose next weekend at toilet.

We've got to expect this moving forward though, we are now a team that huffs and puffs. Until Dtudge is back and we can get someone else in it will be more of the same right through toJanuary I'm afraid.

It's depressing but it's where we're at
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2761 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #369: Dec 06, 2014 06:01:40 pm
      Over the moon with a clean sheet................... ........................ ........................ ....................
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #370: Dec 06, 2014 06:01:56 pm
      BR: We've taken seven points from nine this week which is a good return for us.

he has such low expectations that the players feel great after a home draw. That's Hull, Villa, Sunderland that we have scored 0 against at home.

f**k me we are dreadful.

a good return?
       we lost 2 very important points before a few harder games coming up
       surely BR knows that we have to do MUCH MUCH better than that
       on the other hand he cannot come out critisizing the team or individuals in the squad, but something like '  the players did thier best but we did not creat enough chances to win the game''  would have been better

YNWA
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4401 
      Reply #371: Dec 06, 2014 06:20:54 pm
      Only Burnley and Aston Villa have scored less goals at home than LFC!!
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #372: Dec 06, 2014 06:21:45 pm
      You lot get WAY too hung up on what the manager says after each match. Is it good management to come out and say we played shi...t every time we shi...t? Particularly when we have played shi...t most matches this season.

I don't think it is.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #373: Dec 06, 2014 06:29:07 pm
      I'm not thoroughly upset with the way we played, we look a bit more solid at least.
      All season the team seem to be a group of individuals to me, no team cohesion, someone does something good gets a yard of space and no one is on their wavelength. Surely that's a coaching thing.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #374: Dec 06, 2014 06:31:51 pm
      You lot get WAY too hung up on what the manager says after each match. Is it good management to come out and say we played shi...t every time we shi...t? Particularly when we have played shi...t most matches this season.

I don't think it is.

That's true that. Tell the media nothing negative and just pick out the good, give them nothing, the slimy cockroaches deserve no insight for free.
      Redangel

• 8,249 posts | 1000 
      Reply #375: Dec 06, 2014 06:34:44 pm
      Only Burnley and Aston Villa have scored less goals at home than LFC!!

Now that is seriously depressing!

Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #376: Dec 06, 2014 06:39:54 pm
      Our shots at goal statistics are embarrassing.
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #377: Dec 06, 2014 07:06:51 pm
      It's largely the players' fault. Our closing down wasn't there and we afforded the opposition time to track back. Therefore we couldn't find space to play our A game. The players aren't executing "the" idea.

This could take some time. The next few weeks could be a "one step forward one step back" period.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #378: Dec 06, 2014 07:11:30 pm
      That's the talk of a mid table manager, sounds like when he first arrived here.

It's talk of a manager who's managing a team that didn't win a single game for six weeks. Take his comments in the context they're meant. I also think there's a lack of credit for Sunderland today. They came with a game plan of parking the bus when we had the ball and making it exceedingly difficult for us to break through. Even if Borini was on the bench, we lack the personnel available for selection (i.e. Sturridge) that can do that. In the second half there was no lack of effort on our part, we simply couldn't find a way through. Also remember that this is the team that used identical tactics against Chelsea last week and got an identical result, a Chelsea who until that point had been sweeping teams aside so let's give them a little credit and not put it all down to Liverpool's deficiencies.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #379: Dec 06, 2014 07:11:55 pm
      I do believe you have a point mate and the Reina/Agger situations tend to come into my thinking about it. If I could be bothered (which I can't) I posted something straight after the window shut that I don't think Borini will get any minutes based purely on what you're suggesting mate.

It's wrong and pride/winning an argument or proving a point shouldn't come before making the right choice for the club. I feel not playing Borini and certainly not having him on the bench is proving a mistake. He would give us at least the movement up top that would affect the game.

Borini's movement could have been vital today, especially in the situation when Lucas had the ball, there was a gaping hole through the middle of the pitch and literally all of our players were out wide including Lambert. I'm trying my best to not become one of those that is siding against the manager but he makes it so difficult when he can't do the basics right.
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #380: Dec 06, 2014 07:19:21 pm
      Borini's movement could have been vital today, especially in the situation when Lucas had the ball, there was a gaping hole through the middle of the pitch and literally all of our players were out wide including Lambert. I'm trying my best to not become one of those that is siding against the manager but he makes it so difficult when he can't do the basics right.

Borini could have scored against us today if not for his stubbornness.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #381: Dec 06, 2014 07:28:42 pm
      Never mind Borini, what about Suso and Ryan Mcloughlin? (just throwing some names into the "he's not playing so therefore he'd have won the game for us" collection".
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #382: Dec 06, 2014 07:31:29 pm
      BR: We've taken seven points from nine this week which is a good return for us.

he has such low expectations that the players feel great after a home draw. That's Hull, Villa, Sunderland that we have scored 0 against at home.

f**k me we are dreadful.

...but if you listen a couple of seconds later (18 seconds in) he says Hodgsonesque  that

" they were really tough games for us this week "         FFS !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30257075
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #383: Dec 06, 2014 07:41:27 pm
      ...but if you listen a couple of seconds later (18 seconds in) he says that

" they were really tough games for us this week "         FFS !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30257075
      We've followed the games. We all know that the players are not up to executing his idea of approaching the game. He probably knows better. We've not pressed/created space as much as last year. Our tempo has dropped as well. New players like Adam don't really know the approach yet. Looks lost and out of position at times. Front three is completely different. Only Raheem is left for now. So we can only hope that they spend more time at Melwood resolving this.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #384: Dec 06, 2014 07:47:25 pm
      On a more serious note, when we got outfought and outthought at Palace, spanked 3-1 and were terrible, I'm not sure people realised just how bad we were playing. From there we've done what we had to do, we've become much more route one, much more defensive and much more circumspect. We've conceded one goal in three matches, but unsurprisingly given some of the players who are starring for us, we are very very ugly. It will remain so for a while yet.

Here's my ratings for today:

Mignolet: A decent save at the end but there were still a couple of times he should have come but didn't. 6/10.

Johnson: His best game in a Liverpool shirt for a long time. 7/10

Toure: Solid and did what he does best, hoofed it and defended. 7/10.

Skrtel: Like his defensive partner did what was required. 7/10.

Moreno: Doesn't shine when restrained and asked to defend as he isn't a very good defender. Not bad though, 6/10.

Henderson: Toe curlingly awful, absolutely terrible. has become addicted to the "wall pass it straight back to the bloke who gave it to you" manoeuvre, normally at a pace and place which drops them right in the sh!t. Desperately needs to sit on his @rse for a bit, offered absolutely zip. he even managed his own "Aspas" moment when he clipped the free kick straight into the Kop. Luke I think it was suggested the vice captaincy may be adversely impacting on him, take if off him FFS. 3/10.

Lucas: Offered little going forward but never does, it isn't his job in any case. Defensively though he was excellent and our best player by a mile until Gerrard came on. Please though don't let him take corners, ever. 8.5/10.

Lallana: Once again extremely lightweight. We need to get this lad on the ball in and around the edge of the box more, at the moment he's doing stepovers on the half way line. Have him do them where people are afraid to tackle him and you'll see a different player. 6/10.

Coutinho: IMHO todays wasn't the ideal make up of the team around him. I know many rejoiced when they saw him with Sterling and Lallana, but with a static Lambert up top there is often nowhere for the Brazilian to go. More than any other player in the squad  bar Gerrard Phillipe is being crushed by our lack of mobility up top, so we mustn't give up hope on him. 6/10.

Sterling: Is getting harshly treated by refs, but his going to ground too easily is aiding and abetting the injustice. Did have some good moments still and is currently our only attacking game changer. 7/10.

Lambert: poor on the day, Rickie probably has never played this many games this quickly and looks knackered to me. 5/10.

Subs.

Gerrard: Completely changed the game when he came on and it says it all that Poyet brought on a man marker after about three minutes. 8/10.

Markovic: Glimpses, flashes of something which you can't quite put your finger on. I think he probably will make a player, 7/10.

Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V Sunderland
      Reply #385: Dec 06, 2014 08:01:35 pm
      Henderson getting a lot of stick and rightly so but imo Lallana was equally anonymous, which  is what he has been for most of the season and he was one of our marquee signings!

Agree. He's a good player who has some good games. But he'll never be a regular in a top 4 team and the fee paid was crazy when you consider we already had Coutinho and Sterling and paid £20m for Markovich.

We needed to spend that £25m on a F***ing striker, not Lallana.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #386: Dec 06, 2014 08:22:23 pm
      We can write as much as we like... Bottom line is obvious! This Liverpool squad will find it hard to win football matches! Every game is a big struggle.

Put Suarez and Sturrridge in this team we will be fighting for the title again... As it is we have no world class players to win us football matches. So the old arguements of past seasons will come out. Is Gerrard still able? Is Henderson creative enough? Etc etc...

For that we have to blame poor recruitment. For that I have no idea who to blame actually! Who is accountable? The manager, the comitee or the owners vision? We certainly spent enough!

As it is, we seriously wasted our chance to establish ourselves as title challengers for years to come this Summer and we fail to capitalize on the opportunity to become really relevant in Europe again!

Such an alarming lack of pace, class and ability in this side! Chalk and cheese from last season.

As for this game I feel Coutinho held the key as he found himself in positions to run at the Sunderland defence several times! But we were relying on a player several notches down from world class to win us the match. The lad is inconsistent and today just wasn't his day.

This side is staring down the barrel of mid table... And with the group we have ended up with I'm not sure any manager could change that.
      « Last Edit: Dec 06, 2014 08:50:22 pm by fields of anny rd »
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #387: Dec 06, 2014 08:44:50 pm
      An insipid, lacklustre performance by one and all for 65 minutes. Defence was the only standout for me today. Funnily enough I NEARLY gave MotM to Johnson. I was pleasantly surprised by him today. Looked solid at back, and from time to time, offered something going forward. Raheem didn't really get going until Stevie came on, who by the way, for me looks like should start behind the forward every game.

Whatever, today was poor and we missed a trick with our rivals dropping points.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #388: Dec 06, 2014 08:54:29 pm
      Just a thought regarding why Raheem is being unfairly treated by referees. It's "common knowledge" that Raheem, despite his size is supposed as strong as an ox. So with that in mind, referees see him getting knocked over fairly easily and think that isn't right, we keep hearing how strong he is. Point I'm making is, perhaps those inside the squad shouldn't make things common knowledge, that way expectations don't have to be met...
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #389: Dec 06, 2014 10:38:34 pm

I don't think it is.

We seem to have language analysis' on here who are literally more concerned with what Rodgers says, than how the team play.  :D

Anyway, the team played crap.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #390: Dec 06, 2014 11:30:20 pm
      When we have players that over deploy the short 3 to 6 yards  side and back passes and fumbles when it comes to the final pass in the final third that matters, or do not know what to do with the final pass in the final third while big Lambert supposing to be attacking down the middle of the box using his sheer size and strength  but continue running away and drifting to the far post and remain anonymous for most part of the game, Lallana camped most of the time outside the box when he's supposed to be running into the box (which is his strength at Southampton), Cou trying to make the final pass but ended up passing to the wings most of the time because there's no one to pass the ball to inside the box without failing to mention Sterling almost dribbled the ball into goal because there's no one to pass the final ball to inside the box while others ball watched suggests that something is very very wrong with the tactics in the final third, or do we have one in the first place.

Not to mention we have Lucas and Hendo slowing down the pace has taken the sting out of our attack, this need a major revamp. The number of shots on target is nothing but shocking. Ok, Sunderland parked the bus, they had to and we already expect that but we don't have a game plan to breach it.   

Its the same old same old, neat short passes and build up from the back, yes we did build from the back but painfully slow and when it comes to the final third opposition defence had simply closed shop and we simply do not know what to do with the ball, ping-ponging it outside the box (refer para 1)

How I wish I have more Morenos in our team, he ran and attacked like a pitbull and he simply gave the opposition midfield and defence no time  to re-act with his speed and aggression. His body language suggests that, don't dilly dally just attack with speed and aggression and head straight towards the opposition goal. That's the first lesson for BR and the coaches.

I believe, we don't see the weaknesses before as Suarez did all the running and unlocking of defences, now he's gone and BR and the coaches simply don't have a game plan to do that. We attacked at random, hoping for the best, that's how I sees it. When we have only 1 player inside the box trying to score while others camped outside the box suggests that whole structure of attack has failed miserably.

Instead of putting the blame on the players, I'm now starting to question the quality of our coaches and is BR listening too much to what the coaches have to say or does he spends enough time on the training ground to work on the players strengths and tactics. I don't have a crystal ball to see what they do in training but when a certain constant pattern of weaknesses emerges during match days is simply a transformation of what we do in training.

Ok, I've been one of the strongest critic of Markovic so far but when he came on at least he tried to unlock the Sunderland's defence and almost did that and made the sunderland defenders work harder, question is why not before? Could it be that the tactics deployed by BR was so regimented, so rigid that it has to follow certain pattern and safety first at all cost while the opposition could read our tactics like a book.

In fact, if we look at the quality of our players, they're not that bad, we should be among the top 4, just to name a few  :-

Sterling - can go pass defenders
      Lambert - can unsettle defenders, we have already seen that
      Lallana -  can run into the box or move around the box to score
      Cou - could make a decisive final pass (only if he could find someone to make the final pass)
      Hendo - could burst into the box to score, he has done that on a few occasions already
      Stevie - we already know what he brings to the team

There're so many combos that we can worked on with the players strengths stated above but the cohesion is simply missing while they're just doing the simple things of knocking the ball sideways or back. Apart from Lambert, the rest are very mobile players, they'll tear defences apart if we  we can make them to move fast and play as a cohesive unit.

Give this attacking unit to Rafa or Maureen anytime (sorry i have to name him, he knows how to make best use of the players strengths) and they'll demolish defences.

In conclusion, I know I'm going to be torched but never mind for the good of the club I will have to say this, we need new and brialliant attacking coaches to assist BR, he has diamonds in front of him that he still did not realize.

Quick Reply