Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

What are they doing at Melwood?

Read 6752 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      What are they doing at Melwood?
      Dec 14, 2014 04:55:25 pm
      I've been wanting to start this thread for some time now. I think it's appropriate to do so now.

Sometimes I wonder what the team is exactly doing at Melwood. Unless we are privy to what goes on with the team, we really do not have a clue on what they do everyday.

If they are having fun and games playing head tennis and five aside games, I'll be worried. To me Melwood is a place where the team puts in all the hard work. It's the place where mistakes can be made and rectified, formations/selections experimented, passing and positioning refined. Problems are addressed. If any fancy/risky decision needs to be validated, Melwood is the place.

As with any musical, exam or concert, match day is performance day. And Melwood is where the preparations are made. And when you have only 90 minutes, that's all the time you have to unleash all your preparations. Any top student would tell us how much time they invested in studying for their exams.  Any musician would tell us that they have been practising on their instrument all their lives. Even Tiger Woods needs swing coaching. Execution has to be crisp, precise, well drilled on match day. I don't think players have time to think in the modern game, which is why training and being well drilled is so important.

At the moment, we do not look like a well drilled team. Some players look lost, misplace passes, do not know where to find their team mates or position themselves. It's like a bunch of strangers playing together all over again. Players aside, does the coaching team make the players practice passage of play over and over again till everybody clicks? Or do they leave things as they are match after match? Are individual mistakes taken seriously and addressed or just left alone? Are recent matches analysed over and over again and with the players involved? Is every poor pass, shot, tackle addressed in training or left alone?

Garbage in, garbage out. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. They way we are playing right now suggests to me that there is insufficient work put in at Melwood. Or standards required by the coaching staff has declined to the extent that an average or poor pass, tackle or shot is in fact accepted. Which means on the big stage, this is the level of execution we will produce.

What's the team's attitude in training? How intense is training? I think Luis was there to push players into playing at a high level and this high intensity training looks to have relaxed. There are some assumptions here, but I think we haven't trained enough hours to look confident and well drilled. If anyone has some colour on the quality of the training, do let the rest of us know.

Finally, it's a pitfall for any footballer or coaching staff to think that they've made it when they sign for Liverpool Football Club. In fact all of us would expect them to put in even more work after they've signed. I believe Andy Carroll and Stewart Downing were those guilty of thinking they have achieved that level necessary for them to stop refining their craft. Which means they start to take training and matches lightly, enjoy their status as Liverpool FC footballers as they await their fat pay check on pay day. I could be wrong but I'm sure there are a few of such players on the team.

What do you think they are doing at Melwood? 
      What sort of attitude do you think each individual player has towards their job and career with Liverpool Football Club?

I for now think Dejan Lovren and Simon Mignolet are taking their work too lightly at the moment. And for the boss, he has room to improve execution (drills such as defending corners, closing down, fast break, passing/positioning etc.). Confidence comes by having the ability to execute. Execution comes by putting in the hours, similar to top students, musicians, singers, magician, any top performer or athelete.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Re: What are they doing at Melwood?
      Reply #1: Dec 14, 2014 05:05:01 pm
      Excellent topic Ruth. I wonder the very same thing. All I ever see in photos is Rodgers and the players laughing and joking during training even after a defeat. Over in Manchester LVG has the scum going through hell in training. No laughing just intense hard graft training. And look which club is going to finish in the top 4!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #2: Dec 14, 2014 05:20:35 pm
      making a right F***ing mess of a great club
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #3: Dec 14, 2014 08:27:23 pm
      taking the piss at us
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #4: Dec 14, 2014 09:02:37 pm
      I don't know if it's just a saying over here in the states or if it's universal but over here it's always been said you play in a game like you practice.

The reason the Chicago Bulls were so good is because Jordan made practices hell on everyone, he took it as serious as games and the team benefitted from it immensely. They learned how to win because of him.

Doesn't seem like that is happening at Melwood. And for the record, that's not a responsibility of Rodgers, that's a responsibility of the team leaders.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #5: Dec 14, 2014 09:05:26 pm
      We are missing a Bugsy Moran or a Thommo!

Cant see the manager, Marsh or Pascoe giving anyone a bollocking.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #6: Dec 14, 2014 09:05:33 pm

Doesn't seem like that is happening at Melwood. And for the record, that's not a responsibility of Rodgers, that's a responsibility of the team leaders.

Of course it's a responsibility of Rodgers. He's coaches and arranges the training sessions.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #7: Dec 14, 2014 09:09:43 pm
      Of course it's a responsibility of Rodgers. He's coaches and arranges the training sessions.

You apparently didn't comprehend what I said. Phil Jackson wasn't the one making players better in Bulls practices, he merely organized the drills and the things he wanted the players to learn or practice. The tone that was set for competitiveness and effort was set by Jordan and later on by Jordan and Pippen. The team leaders.

The coach can try and force players to care but most times, that aspect comes from the team leaders enforcing it. Same in any sport.

players should be policing themselves. That's part of Gerrard's job.

Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #8: Dec 14, 2014 09:10:07 pm
      I don't know if it's just a saying over here in the states or if it's universal but over here it's always been said you play in a game like you practice.

The reason the Chicago Bulls were so good is because Jordan made practices hell on everyone, he took it as serious as games and the team benefitted from it immensely. They learned how to win because of him.

Really? Wow. Always learn something new on here.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #9: Dec 14, 2014 09:11:13 pm

Agreed. It's 100% Rodgers responsibility to set the standard of training and level of intensity. LVG has the Manc players running through brick walls in training and it shows on the pitch. He is getting the maximum out of the relatively average squad at his disposal. We can laugh at LVG all we like at his big weird head and what not but he's a top manager in my opinion and I would have him here in a heartbeat.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #10: Dec 14, 2014 09:13:22 pm
      Pay attention and you will.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #11: Dec 14, 2014 09:14:05 pm
      Good post.

Another thing that I've always wondered: how come our players have been so bad in the air this season when you have pictures of them playing head tennis in training before every game. Our defending at set pieces is woeful and we haven't scored a single goal from a corner kick in 16 games.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #12: Dec 14, 2014 09:14:16 pm

Rule number one here : Everything bad that happens isn't Brendan's fault.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #13: Dec 14, 2014 09:17:33 pm
      Rule number one here : Everything bad that happens isn't Brendan's fault.
      Has nothing to do with defending Brendan, his mistakes Te very easy for everyone to see, but he's not the reason for everything that goes wrong. Would you like to blame him for global warming and Ebola too?

The players including the leaders on this team deserve a large share of the blame for their play and their leadership or lack of.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #14: Dec 14, 2014 09:24:34 pm
      The players including the leaders on this team deserve a large share of the blame for their play and their leadership or lack of.

fair enough, also the owners, but the biggest blame lies on brendan
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6389 
      Reply #15: Dec 14, 2014 10:52:41 pm
      fair enough, also the owners, but the biggest blame lies on brendan
      Owners as well, don't know if you can say Brendan deserves the most, not his fault his best player is injured is it? But his team selections and subs are troubling for sure.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #16: Dec 14, 2014 10:52:48 pm
      it's the head tennis! 
      DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Reply #17: Dec 14, 2014 11:17:52 pm

Do you have your answer?
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #18: Dec 14, 2014 11:40:13 pm
      This video from a few days ago could have just been some end-of-training fun, but it sure seems like they do F**k around a lot in training:

http://www.lfc.vn/preview-matchday/man-utd-liverpool-thong-tin-truoc-tran-dau-s15-w16/
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #19: Dec 14, 2014 11:42:30 pm

just heard that Jones will be playing.
      They don't seem like they have just been knocked out of the CL must be something to do with just received their bank statements for this month
      DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Reply #20: Dec 14, 2014 11:42:58 pm
      This video from a few days ago could have just been some end-of-training fun, but it sure seems like they do f**k around a lot in training:

http://www.lfc.vn/preview-matchday/man-utd-liverpool-thong-tin-truoc-tran-dau-s15-w16/
      After this video, I think we should try Skrtel upfront!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #21: Dec 14, 2014 11:46:20 pm
      This video from a few days ago could have just been some end-of-training fun, but it sure seems like they do f**k around a lot in training:

Those houses over looking the training ground, I wonder how expensive they are to buy or rent, anyone knows? :D Would love to live there.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #22: Dec 14, 2014 11:50:57 pm
      There not expensive houses there

Quick Reply