Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Is it time to turn to the youth?

Read 8143 times
      Sam_95
      Re: Is it time to turn to the youth?
      Reply #46: Dec 21, 2014 12:49:05 pm
      It would be unwise to throw them in at the deep end considering our problems at the moment, but yes - youth is undoubtedly the way and the manager should start phasing in some of the lads, putting them into the match day squads to start off with.

But noy buying very expensive youth, instead nurturing youth from the academy.

Besides, youth players brought through the age levels are primed to play for the club having trained the tactical systems employed by the first team manager. That means they are well adaptable to the first team. In addition to this, the youth who have come through the ranks are usually more understanding of the culture of Liverpool FC, giving them added determination and belief. God knows that's what we need right now.

Ajax were the first to do this years ago - total football it was called- Spain copied it and look what happened.. we are not going to get relegated, and neither are we going to get top 4 or win the europa - so why not add a sprinkle of youth and see what becomes of it?
      Sam_95
      Reply #47: Dec 21, 2014 12:53:41 pm
      Why indeed P_M...

Surely the pragmatist would be thinking - 'Given that we don't have mega rich owners, who are prepared to spend their own money: instead of buying three, four, five, players with potential [when I already have so many], I'll use that money to add strength in depth now.'

If... if "the pragmatist" was allowed to deviate from Company policy, of course.  ;)

Interesting,
      company policy no less, sounds like a business, and of course it is, thats the problem- everyone, including the fans want instant success, and ours is bourne out of old memories in football life spans, consolidate with youth, and the glory days will return not least the bank balance will be healthier.
      Sam_95
      Reply #48: Dec 21, 2014 01:00:56 pm
      in my opinion, if the youngsters are not going to be blooded occasionally through the season, how will they ever get a chance.
      I can only remember B.R. putting youngsters on the bench on two occasions,(may be wrong) and never used them. If they aren't going to get used, but shipped out to the lower leagues, why have an academy. Just as well keep the money and buy top drawer players all the time. Not something I personally would want to see, but the economics don't stack up, if you invest millions in coaching youngsters, then cast them aside.
      We are all aware that most don't make it to the lop level, but you will never know how they might adapt if they don't get a chance.
      Better players might not be able to cope with the pressure, where as slightly lesser players may take the situation by storm.

Yeah get rid of the academy, save the money and spend it on superstars because we are not using the academy for what its for. Will never find a new Steven Gerrard if we don't play the youngsters - so go out a buy one.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #49: Dec 21, 2014 01:32:45 pm
      Yeah get rid of the academy, save the money and spend it on superstars because we are not using the academy for what its for. Will never find a new Steven Gerrard if we don't play the youngsters - so go out a buy one.

Nah, don't be daft. why buy superstars when you can buy a cluster of average players and with one of them turning into a superstar!!!! imagine how much money we would save too :p ;)
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #50: Dec 21, 2014 02:04:43 pm

Bit of fun, but of course it all depends on how good the youth are.

Are our youth that good, if we'd won that Next Gen series of games then maybe so.

brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #51: Dec 21, 2014 02:15:40 pm

Bit of fun, but of course it all depends on how good the youth are.

Are our youth that good, if we'd won that Next Gen series of games then maybe so.

If they are not given a chance we shall never know.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #52: Dec 21, 2014 03:54:17 pm
      thats the problem- everyone, including the fans want instant success...
      You'd really need to define "instant" Sam... it seems your definition is very different to mine.  :-\
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 893 
      Reply #53: Dec 21, 2014 03:58:01 pm
      What i want is give our youth a chance, players like ibe and suso. mix them with older quality players. we on the other hand are getting in players who are young for the first team who saddely arent able to up to the task yet.
      so instead of markovic, i would have liked to see suso and ibe fignhting for his place. With a striker upfront in his peak.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #54: Dec 22, 2014 09:16:05 am
      Surely we have a centre back who can do no worse? Whats Lloyd Jones up to? Anyone else?
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,281 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #55: Dec 22, 2014 10:59:27 am
      What i want is give our youth a chance, players like ibe and suso. mix them with older quality players. we on the other hand are getting in players who are young for the first team who saddely arent able to up to the task yet.
      so instead of markovic, i would have liked to see suso and ibe fignhting for his place. With a striker upfront in his peak.
      Maybe Markovic is a kid brought abroad but he is still better than Ibe and Suso together.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #56: Dec 22, 2014 12:18:38 pm
      If they are not given a chance we shall never know.

Except, BR can know without playing them. Or atleast he can know that they aren't good enough yet.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #57: Dec 22, 2014 01:21:14 pm
      I'm at work and on my phone but if somebody could see who if anyone from the successful Next Gen squads are now playing regular 1st team football in a top league?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #58: Dec 22, 2014 02:51:07 pm
      I'm at work and on my phone but if somebody could see who if anyone from the successful Next Gen squads are now playing regular 1st team football in a top league?

Loftus-Cheek got a run out in a dead rubber game for Chelsea.
      Big difference to that and relying on him to safe a season.

Calder and Grealish were on the bench for Villa last time out.
      Unused subs.

Mbaye was on the bench for Inter.
      Unused sub.
      Duncan is on loan at Sampdoria, from Inter.
      Unsused sub. Has made 7 appearances.

Klaassen and Veltmen both started the last game for Ajax.
      Fischer out with injury.

So if you want to compare.
      Sterling is a regular for us. No other team has that.
      Suso is out injured, but had gotten a game and a goal. :D
      Wisdom is playing regularly for West Brom.

We are doing better than most.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #59: Dec 22, 2014 02:54:17 pm

Eredivisie League
      Viktor Fischer (Ajax) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Fischer
      JoĆ«l Veltman  (Ajax) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo%C3%ABl_Veltman
      Davy Klaassen (Ajax) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Klaassen

Serie A
      Marko Livaja (Atalanta/Rubin Kazan) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marko_Livaja

La Liga
      Denis SuƔrez (Sevilla) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Su%C3%A1rez

Can't seem to find the squads of 11/12 next gen. This is the best I can do thus far.  The stand out player is Denis Suarez, been watching him play for Sevilla this season, he really is gonna be something special. Reminds me of Iniesta and I can see him becoming a big player in a couple of years time.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #60: Dec 22, 2014 02:55:50 pm
      Eredivisie League

Viktor Fischer (Ajax) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Fischer
      JoĆ«l Veltman  (Ajax) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jo%C3%ABl_Veltman
      Davy Klaassen (Ajax) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Klaassen

Serie A
      Marko Livaja (Atalanta/Rubin Kazan) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marko_Livaja

La Liga
      Denis SuƔrez (Sevilla) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Su%C3%A1rez

Can't seem to find the squads of 11/12 next gen. This is the best I can do thus far.  The stand out player is Denis Suarez, been watching him play for Sevilla this season, he really is gonna be something special. Reminds me of Iniesta and I can see him becoming a big player in a couple of years time.

Forgot all about Suarez. Good player.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #61: Dec 22, 2014 02:56:46 pm
      Forgot all about Suarez. Good player.

Yeah, i didn't know he was in the next Gen for Man City!!!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #62: Dec 22, 2014 02:57:41 pm
      Yeah, i didn't know he was in the next Gen for Man City!!!

That's how I missed him when I was going through the teams.
      I remember when he was leaving and hoping we'd snap him up.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #63: Dec 22, 2014 05:01:15 pm
      Loftus-Cheek got a run out in a dead rubber game for Chelsea.
      Big difference to that and relying on him to safe a season.

Calder and Grealish were on the bench for Villa last time out.
      Unused subs.

Mbaye was on the bench for Inter.
      Unused sub.
      Duncan is on loan at Sampdoria, from Inter.
      Unsused sub. Has made 7 appearances.

Klaassen and Veltmen both started the last game for Ajax.
      Fischer out with injury.

So if you want to compare.
      Sterling is a regular for us. No other team has that.
      Suso is out injured, but had gotten a game and a goal. :D
      Wisdom is playing regularly for West Brom.

We are doing better than most.

Kinda was my point racer it's too early in their careers to say if they're successful never mind our current under 18s.  If they're good enough they'll get there whether they're pushed or not.
      Bier
      Reply #64: Dec 22, 2014 05:24:50 pm
      From that Ajax nextgen final team, I think these past few weeks about 7 out of 11 are getting regular football, 6 in the Dutch top division, and 1 in the Belgian top division. 1 more, Denswil, would probably be getting regular football at Ajax if he'd extend his contract. And this also excludes Fischer who is injured but on his way back. But I imagine at most 5 out of those 9 have a shot at succeeding in bigger leagues, and certainly not all at top clubs.

Really, for the level we aspire to, we're doing a good job if we can get 1 or 2 players from each group who can handle that level and end up playing for us regularly. We're on another level from Ajax, and shouldn't even want to have the patience with youth that they have.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #65: Dec 22, 2014 11:19:30 pm
      From that Ajax nextgen final team, I think these past few weeks about 7 out of 11 are getting regular football, 6 in the Dutch top division, and 1 in the Belgian top division. 1 more, Denswil, would probably be getting regular football at Ajax if he'd extend his contract. And this also excludes Fischer who is injured but on his way back. But I imagine at most 5 out of those 9 have a shot at succeeding in bigger leagues, and certainly not all at top clubs.

Really, for the level we aspire to, we're doing a good job if we can get 1 or 2 players from each group who can handle that level and end up playing for us regularly. We're on another level from Ajax, and shouldn't even want to have the patience with youth that they have.

Was hoping you'd comment on this.
      Good point another relying on youth and the level required.

We could utilise more than we do if the expectations were not the same.

As it is, one or two from each age group is about right.
      Sam_95
      Reply #66: Dec 29, 2014 12:49:17 pm
      Nah, don't be daft. why buy superstars when you can buy a cluster of average players and with one of them turning into a superstar!!!! imagine how much money we would save too :p ;)

It was nice to see Ojo on the bench vs Burnley it was a shame he didn't get the last 10 mins like, but suppose if we were 3-0 up then he would have.
      Sam_95
      Reply #67: Dec 29, 2014 12:52:34 pm
      Was hoping you'd comment on this.
      Good point another relying on youth and the level required.

We could utilise more than we do if the expectations were not the same.

As it is, one or two from each age group is about right.

Yeah that correct, it was nice seeing Ojo on the bench v Burnley!
      Sam_95
      Reply #68: Dec 29, 2014 12:55:51 pm

Yeah, Klaasen, Denswil, Fischer, Veltman are the ones that have made it. Sinkhaven at Heerenveen is a great emerging talent that we should be looking at as a club. Olivier Torres and Saul of Athletico are another pair the club should be looking at! It was nice to see Ojo on the bench vs Burnley though, hope to see more sooner rather than later.

Quick Reply