Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Is it time to turn to the youth?

Read 8161 times
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Re: Is it time to turn to the youth?
      Reply #92: Jan 01, 2015 05:30:55 pm
      Think the horse has bolted here. The more average foreigners that get brought in on massive wages for over inflated fees the less younger talent will be given to shine.

I'm sick to the back teeth of average dross being constantly thrown into the match day squad.

Take the likes of Borini (and this is not me saying he's the only problem merely an example of an ongoing problem within our club). We pay a massive fee for at best a 2nd or 3rd striker for a bottom third EPL club. We pay him silly money and drop a youngster further down our pecking order to accommodate him.

Now if these youngsters had been given a few sub appearances and the occasional start and proved not gd enough, by all means go out and seek a player but it's not the case at all. Fowler, Owen and Sterling all took the route in more recent years and were successful so why not try this more.

I perfect example I gave to my mate was Neil Mellor. Back when he was knocking on the door of the first team he was given his chance and after a while was deemed not good enough and moved on. He cost us nothing and gave us more on the pitch than the likes of Aspas/Borini. The thing to do now it seems is spend nearly £10m to get a Mellor type player who will inevitably fail and be shipped on.

Our finance must make for a horror show in terms of player acquisitions barring the odd gem.

Let the academy lads be it young scousers or not av there wings and watch us fly ffs.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #93: Jan 01, 2015 06:00:58 pm
      Is Ojo sitting on the bench because Rodgers thinks he's good enough - if so why isn't he giving him a run out?
      Is Ojo sitting on the bench because of the number of injuries we've go - if so why leave it for the last few games when we've had injuries throughout the season?
      Is Ojo sitting on the bench because Rodgers is trying to force the owners hands and give him more money in the January transfer window?
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #94: Jan 01, 2015 06:06:53 pm
      Is Ojo sitting on the bench because Rodgers thinks he's good enough - if so why isn't he giving him a run out?
      Is Ojo sitting on the bench because of the number of injuries we've go - if so why leave it for the last few games when we've had injuries throughout the season?
      Is Ojo sitting on the bench because Rodgers is trying to force the owners hands and give him more money in the January transfer window?

Get the kids out.

Bier
      Reply #95: Jan 01, 2015 06:07:24 pm

If I had to make a guess, I'd think he was hoping for us to have the game in the bag, and that he rather safely could give Ojo some minutes late in the game. Not a strange thought considering we were playing the last placed team. Unfortunately that situation did not occur. But he probably wants to bring Ojo slowly in that type of situation.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,002 posts | 223 
      Reply #96: Jan 01, 2015 06:20:22 pm
      why is 21 year old Tiago Ilori still out on loan
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,551 posts | 726 
      Reply #97: Jan 09, 2015 11:57:22 pm
      why is 21 year old Tiago Ilori still out on loan

he's def not ready
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,551 posts | 726 
      Reply #98: Jan 09, 2015 11:59:38 pm
      I think if we arent going to spend anything during this transfer window.

Nobody would have a problem if we threw in Ojo, Ibe, Wisdom, etc etc in at the deep end. I read that Marc Pelosi is in the USA squad. Give em all a shot

Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #99: Jan 10, 2015 07:26:08 am

Its pretty obvious why he is on the bench. To play if him if its safe enough to play him. I'm pretty Ojo knows this too. It hasn't been safe enough yet.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #100: Jan 10, 2015 07:52:56 pm
      Nice to see Rossiter on the bench. Soon we will have a game where we have a decent lead and can bring on a youngster.
      lfc fighter
      • Forum Youth Player

• 10 posts |
      Reply #101: Jan 10, 2015 08:45:21 pm
      pedro chirivella? he's ours, Real Madrid wanted him and he dubbed as Xabi Alonso's heir  :aaliverpoolwz0:
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #102: Jan 11, 2015 01:58:39 am
      IMO...no.

The 'star' players we have within the youth ranks are way too young. Let them stay where they are so that they can develope and fully integrate to each others playing styles. Maintain a core nucleus and progress them together at the same time. Akin to, as much as I hate saying it, the way Fergie did with the "kids".

Can't see Brendan doing it either for the obvious reason that it would make him look a bit of a tw@t after buying so many players only not to utilise them.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,551 posts | 726 
      Reply #103: Jan 11, 2015 02:49:47 am
      IMO...no.

The 'star' players we have within the youth ranks are way too young. Let them stay where they are so that they can develope and fully integrate to each others playing styles. Maintain a core nucleus and progress them together at the same time. Akin to, as much as I hate saying it, the way Fergie did with the "kids".

Can't see Brendan doing it either for the obvious reason that it would make him look a bit of a tw@t after buying so many players only not to utilise them.

some of our star youth players are being called into full international squads already. Surely they should get a chance.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #104: Jan 11, 2015 02:28:01 pm
      I certainly don't Debs. In fact I made a thread very similar to this a few years back and people got their knickers in a twist about it. They thought I was asking for 11 kids to be thrown in but that's not the point. The point I was trying to make was where we're struggling in the first team, give a young lad a run out because in reality you're not losing anything. I made the same point when Andy Carroll was here. He wasn't scoring so I wanted to see Adam Morgan give a run out. If Morgan fails to score, he's no worse than Carroll. If he does score, you may actually save yourself a bomb. I suggested any of the young lads we had on our books in the summer before Balotelli. But of course, we're not prepared to give them a go and instead waste money on players who aren't up to it.

For me we don't give the kids a go and haven't done for a very, very long time. If Jamie Carragher was in our reserves right now, I doubt he'd make it. Carra wasn't a great footballer and as a kid didn't really have anything that set him apart from anybody else. But he was playing under a manager (Roy Evans) who saw something in him and gave him a go and allowed him to develop. He didn't expect Carra to be the star of the team from day one. And then after establishing himself, somewhat, he was replaced every year under Houllier. Only problem was none of the full backs brought in were all that good (with the exception of Markus Babbel). So Carra remained in the team and eventually proved that he shouldn't be replaced and is more than good enough to rack up over 700 games for the club.

Jordan Rossiter, scores on his debut and doesn't really do anything wrong against Boro. He then isn't seen again. Gets on the bench for the next round against Swansea. Doesn't even manage that for the Bournemouth game. Kids aren't gonna develop enough at reserve/youth level. They need to be in and around the first team on a regular basis. Jordon Ibe, tearing it up at Derby, would of given us more than Markovic has. Norm Wisdom would of been a more solid choice at full back than Manquillo.

And people then say the players aren't good enough anyway because they never make it to the Prem, well that's because they fail to get the game time they need between the ages of 17 and 20. The biggest problem we have is the expectation that when a lad comes in, he has to be world class instantly. No they don't. Kids will make mistakes. That's how they learn. But they're not going to learn if they only play one game every six months in the first team, and even that not being with the first choice players. Have them on the bench, bring them on. Let them start a couple of games. That's what we're doing with the majority of the squad anyway.

But no, we give them one game. Don't see them again for months on end. And then it's "well they weren't good enough anyway, let's sell them to (take your pick of any lower league club)"

Sterling has been the exception of the rule in the last ten to fifteen years because Rodgers was forced to play Raheem because a) injuries permitted it and b) the players we had at the time were completely sh*t and c) when Raheem got given a chance, he was instantly boss. We're reaping the rewards of actually playing a young lad.

Our forwards can't score a goal and yet we still don't look at the youth teams, we change the entire team round instead. The kids can't even get a look in on the bench, we persist with Balotelli and Lambert who have proven to not be good enough.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quick Reply