Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Fabian Delph (Aston Villa)

Read 14227 times
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Re: Fabian Delph (Aston Villa)
      Reply #92: Jan 25, 2015 03:52:54 pm
      This sort of news inspires the sort of optimism which the Metro Liverpool writer must have.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #93: Jan 25, 2015 04:47:54 pm
      Didn't Bony sign a new contract before he signed for City?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #94: Jan 25, 2015 05:03:51 pm
      Close it up thank god
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #95: Jan 25, 2015 05:05:10 pm
      Didn't Bony sign a new contract before he signed for City?
      Yeah, but we were only interested (reportedly) because he was cheap. Now he won't be cheap.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #96: Jan 25, 2015 07:10:35 pm
      This thread resembles every bit like Bertrand during summer... no real 'sources' but ppl engage in war of words for no bloody reason!

Yep, it does and I remember everybody completely rubbishing the idea of signing Bertrand, "not Liverpool quality" and a "mid table player" was very much the sentiment in that thread and yet he is doing a fantastic job at Saints, one of the best defences in the league and sitting in 3rd place in the table. Instead we bought a lad in Moreno who (despite being quite handy going forward) has been a liability defending in he full back position. Perhaps Bertrand wouldn't have been such a bad bet after all?

Delph didn't especially excite me either if I'm honest but I wouldn't have been quite so quick to write him off had he been brought in.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #97: Jan 25, 2015 08:15:19 pm
      Yep, it does and I remember everybody completely rubbishing the idea of signing Bertrand, "not Liverpool quality" and a "mid table player" was very much the sentiment in that thread and yet he is doing a fantastic job at Saints, one of the best defences in the league and sitting in 3rd place in the table. Instead we bought a lad in Moreno who (despite being quite handy going forward) has been a liability defending in he full back position. Perhaps Bertrand wouldn't have been such a bad bet after all?

Delph didn't especially excite me either if I'm honest but I wouldn't have been quite so quick to write him off had he been brought in.

Moreno hasn't been a liability at all, he's made 2 mistakes all season and he's more than made up for it with his attacking play.

In 2 years time, Moreno will be 10 times the player Bertrand is.
      « Last Edit: Jan 25, 2015 08:25:34 pm by AlexLFC95 »
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #98: Jan 25, 2015 08:29:10 pm
      Moreno hasn't been a liability at all, he's made 2 mistakes all season and he's more than made up for it with his attacking play

I'm not saying he hasn't shown some promise but he has been defensively suspect in the full back position and I'm afraid there have been more than two mistakes.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #99: Jan 25, 2015 09:29:34 pm
      I'm not saying he hasn't shown some promise but he has been defensively suspect in the full back position and I'm afraid there have been more than two mistakes.

Moreno has made 3 defensive errors, 2 of which led to a goal. This makes him the 17th most error prone defender in the premier league. Examples of more error prone players ahead of him are Cahill (4), Jonny Evans (4), Szczesny (6) and Lovren (6).

For what its worth though, this stat hasn't changed for him since the beginning of December - so could just have been integration troubles.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #100: Jan 25, 2015 09:46:47 pm
      Moreno has made 3 defensive errors, 2 of which led to a goal. This makes him the 17th most error prone defender in the premier league. Examples of more error prone players ahead of him are Cahill (4), Jonny Evans (4), Szczesny (6) and Lovren (6).

For what its worth though, this stat hasn't changed for him since the beginning of December - so could just have been integration troubles.

I can't say I was aware they kept stats on defensive errors? It's very difficult to be objective about something that is very subjective ie. things like positioning, ball watching, allowing/stopping crosses cant be put into stats
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #101: Jan 25, 2015 10:10:52 pm
      I can't say I was aware they kept stats on defensive errors? It's very difficult to be objective about something that is very subjective ie. things like positioning, ball watching, allowing/stopping crosses cant be put into stats

Its pretty hard, but positioning, allowing and stopping crosses can be modeled. I haven't the first clue how ball watching could be modeled though   :P . Clearly by the low numbers (I'm pretty sure Lovren made more than 6 mistakes), they are going for a fairly cut and dry approach (ie missed clearance) which is fair.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #102: Jan 25, 2015 11:11:35 pm
      Its pretty hard, but positioning, allowing and stopping crosses can be modeled. I haven't the first clue how ball watching could be modeled though   :P . Clearly by the low numbers (I'm pretty sure Lovren made more than 6 mistakes), they are going for a fairly cut and dry approach (ie missed clearance) which is fair.

It's a tricky one, even when it comes to stopping crosses it would be hard to keep genuine statistics as judgements would have to be made as to whether the player was ever in position to stop the cross ie. was it a missed opportunity or did the attacking player cross early. Either way, for me, Moreno offers plenty as an attacking full back BUT playing in a gung-ho system that leaves us open at the back he isn't up to it defensively (at least not yet) as far as I can see. Give me a fit again Jon Flanagan in the traditional left back spot ahead of anyone else at the club right now it in a lung-back (as we are playing at the moment) young Moreno is doing well.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #103: Jan 26, 2015 04:10:44 am

Of course.

;)
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #104: Jan 27, 2015 12:35:02 pm
      It's very difficult to be objective about something that is very subjective ie. things like positioning, ball watching, allowing/stopping crosses cant be put into stats
      They do count and keep stats on crosses mate but you're right about the subjective nature of the other elements.

Which is why (obviously, I suppose) no stats exist re: those elements but... if they did and the stats suited - they'd be used.

And I sure as sh*t wouldn't be surprised to find out that this type of stat, subjective or not, already exists on Graham's programme or that the club/Edwards/Graham run the F***ing things through their 'player value for money' programme before refusing to buy him. ;D

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #105: Jan 30, 2015 12:53:07 pm
      Thank god we didnt go out and buy yet another English player, we've all seen how rubbish our national side is so why do we continue to buy british its not always best. we are basically englands B team with the amout of English internationals we go for or have

Quick Reply