Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match

Jones
      0 (0%)
      K Touré
      0 (0%)
      Skrtel
      10 (10.1%)
      Sakho
      3 (3%)
      Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Lucas
      7 (7.1%)
      Gerrard
      0 (0%)
      Markovic
      14 (14.1%)
      Coutinho
      49 (49.5%)
      Sterling
      2 (2%)
      Lallana
      13 (13.1%)
      Borini
      1 (1%)
      Lambert
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Liverpool 2:2 Arsenal, In game & post match phew.

Read 19751 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Re: Liverpool 2:2 Arsenal, In game & post match phew.
      Reply #506: Dec 22, 2014 02:05:33 pm
      I'm not a particular fan of the back 3 set-up, but it has been working for us in the last few games

Is this the last two games were we conceded 5 goals?

Was at the game yesterday - thought we were average again.  Sterling was isolated up front - the speed at which we move the ball from defence to attack is pedestrian.  Markovic would have been better up front with Sterling further back to create something for him.

Big problems.  One of the only positives was seeing Sakho back.  He's a much better player than Lovren and I just hope that Rodgers chooses the right defender to fall out with next time.

Brad Jones also a far better and more confident keeper than Mignolet.

After the game I hear Rodgers was banging on about us looking like we can make top four - personally I feel that only picking up a point here makes it less likely.  I expect 9 points from the next 3 games.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #507: Dec 22, 2014 02:21:30 pm

Was at the game yesterday - thought we were average again.  Sterling was isolated up front - the speed at which we move the ball from defence to attack is pedestrian.  Markovic would have been better up front with Sterling further back to create something for him.

Big problems.  One of the only positives was seeing Sakho back.  He's a much better player than Lovren and I just hope that Rodgers chooses the right defender to fall out with next time.

After the game I hear Rodgers was banging on about us looking like we can make top four - personally I feel that only picking up a point here makes it less likely.  I expect 9 points from the next 3 games.

Lose to the Mancs   ..... beat a Bournemouth 2nd team .....  and get a 97th minute goal against a poor Arsenal from our centre half.

There is positive thinking and there is realism.
      Where have our expectations leveled out at?

Talking up 4th ?      Just keep it shut Rodgers and get on with it.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #508: Dec 22, 2014 02:35:46 pm

Average again, thats a bit harsh mate the football in the last few games has been light years better than the turgid sh*t we were seeing earlier, admittedely we did not get the result but keep playing this way its only a matter of time before we start tonking a few teams.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #509: Dec 22, 2014 02:41:05 pm
      Average again, thats a bit harsh mate the football in the last few games has been light years better than the turgid sh*t we were seeing earlier,

You are right what have seen for most of this season has been total sh*te.  Thought yesterday was average which on the basis of our performances so far must make it brilliant.

Predictable, slow moving from back to front, isolated forwards.  Arsenal came for the point and had 8 men behind the ball from the off.  We finally get a goal and instantaneously they up their game and equalise.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope the tonkings will return soon but to me it looked disjointed.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #510: Dec 22, 2014 03:18:12 pm
      It's hard to actually like the guy,
      Let's not confuse the person with the player

it's like deja vu, everything he ever does and it never leads to us winning. Sick of hearing his excuses.
      Sick of hearing is excuses (plural?)

Probably the first time I've ever heard the lad mention he's sorry and giving a reason for his actions. But don't let that get in your way of hating on the guy.

Ok fair enough he's not the best striker I've ever seen; doesn't make him a tw*t of a person though.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      Reply #511: Dec 22, 2014 03:20:39 pm
      For those who actually went to the game, what was Lucas like?

From the armchair he seemed a bit out of sorts but by all accounts he was one of the best players out there. Just wondering if something's been overlooked by not being at the game.

Personally, if I think about it, aside from getting caught in possession twice and missing a couple of good chances, I thought he had a good game.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #512: Dec 22, 2014 05:00:56 pm
      It's Lallana not Llalana :D

Seen that a few times now

Sorry, I thought he was from Wales.

:-)
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #513: Dec 22, 2014 05:22:58 pm
      That's a bit negative :(

We're 9 points behind those giants West Ham in 4th, with 21 games to go. Looking at teams around us, if we get our arse into gear in the second half of the season, There's absolutely no reason why we can't make it.

Did you see the question mark ? it was the person who i quoted that was being negative . I was actually hoping he'd respond to my question to prove that we were still in it .

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #514: Dec 22, 2014 05:23:18 pm
      I think to describe us as being "average" when we had 65% possession against Arsenal (a premiership record) as well as 27 shots on goal against them (ditto) is stretching it a bit. If the Mancs had played with the amount of freedom, panache and zest that we have over the last three games the press would be hailing Van Gaal as a tactical genius for his new system.

All that's missing is the ball hitting the back of the onion bag on a regular basis, but if we keep playing like this somebody very soon is going to get a proper good hiding.   
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #515: Dec 22, 2014 05:37:59 pm
      I think to describe us as being "average" when we had 65% possession against Arsenal (a premiership record) as well as 27 shots on goal against them (ditto) is stretching it a bit. If the Mancs had played with the amount of freedom, panache and zest that we have over the last three games the press would be hailing Van Gaal as a tactical genius for his new system.

All that's missing is the ball hitting the back of the onion bag on a regular basis, but if we keep playing like this somebody very soon is going to get a proper good hiding.   

And any semblance of defending ;D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #516: Dec 22, 2014 05:38:56 pm

Nah we don't do that at LFC.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #517: Dec 22, 2014 05:43:48 pm

One follows the other mate in my view. It's precisely BECAUSE we can't convert our total domination into goals that we get jumpy at the back and make errors. Equally, we're in one of those runs at the moment that every time we concede a chance we concede a goal. Debuchy's header didn't have to ricochet off Skrtels head into the top corner anymore than Giroud's shot had to perfectly dissect Jones's legs yesterday, each and every error we are making is resulting in a goal. More to the point though when we start getting the goals which our general play deserved, you'll see teams much more reluctant to commit bodies forward against us and we'll win lots more matches.

The truth is though that playing three at the back, with the two wide midfielders being Markovic and Henderson, all the while encouraging Lucas of all people to get forward more to support the THREE attackers means that we are going to concede lots of chances, and probably lots of goals too.Brendan tightened it right up a few games back and although it dug us out of a hole, the style of play didn't really suit us. I've a hunch that we're about to return to a balls out "we'll score more than you" style, and I for one welcome it.   
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #518: Dec 22, 2014 05:46:54 pm

Agree 100%, ignoring the scoreline and the shocking defending for the two goals, everything else points to us being absolutely awesome yesterday. I almost agree with Brendan when he suggested we were better than our 5-1 but I know exactly where he's coming from. The only reason I don't is that I feel that game could have been many more also.

Stick Sturridge or Suarez in that team we'd have won by 3, stick both of them in it and we'd have won by 5 at least. Won back a lot of my confidence in the last 3 games, just a damn shame it's took us this long to find our feet.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #519: Dec 22, 2014 05:49:47 pm

Nope, I prefer to wheel of a reaction jerked right outta me knee...haha, no fair enough mate. In all honesty though, with the sh*te that's been played around us, really don't see why we can't make 4th. Only if we keep to the style we've been seeing so far though.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #520: Dec 22, 2014 06:32:30 pm
      Agree 100%, ignoring the scoreline and the shocking defending for the two goals, everything else points to us being absolutely awesome yesterday.

You also have to keep in mind that we've only been utilizing this system for a little over 1 week. It is going to take the lads a little while to get used to recognizing the spaces, links, passes, and to exploit the areas that we can cause real damage (in the form of goals) to the opposition. Once this starts to click, we will be very difficult to play against.

If Balotelli can figure out how to link the play, find space, and score goals in this system then we will be a real force when him and Studge are both available!!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      Reply #521: Dec 22, 2014 07:07:51 pm
      What happens when Studge comes back?

Wonder if it'll all revert back to the diamond
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #522: Dec 22, 2014 07:23:09 pm

Sterling will go wing back and Markovic will be dropped would be my guess
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #523: Dec 22, 2014 07:27:52 pm

Doubt it. Rodgers likes one up top and only played the diamond to accommodate both Suarez and Sturridge.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #524: Dec 22, 2014 07:32:21 pm
      Sterling will go wing back and Markovic will be dropped would be my guess

If we stick with the current formation, Henderson should be dropped and Sterling and Markovic play WB.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #525: Dec 22, 2014 07:35:52 pm
      If we stick with the current formation, Henderson should be dropped and Sterling and Markovic play WB.

Possibly yes but I think Brendan will fit Hendo in somewhere which is why I suspect Markovic would be the one chopped
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #526: Dec 22, 2014 07:49:12 pm

We'll revert back to depending on him once again and when he gets injured again we'll be up shits creek without a paddle again .

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #527: Dec 22, 2014 11:00:21 pm
      We were relatively good at getting at them and stopping them from playing but we had nothing in attack, there was no goal threat there at all. Personally think that if they were on form then they'd have got the win, we may have stopped them playing but we saw as soon as we scored they came straight back at us and took advantage of poor defending.

I don't think we were great by any means, personally think their poor performance made us look better than what we actually were.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #528: Dec 22, 2014 11:06:04 pm
      We were relatively good at getting at them and stopping them from playing but we had nothing in attack, there was no goal threat there at all. Personally think that if they were on form then they'd have got the win, we may have stopped them playing but we saw as soon as we scored they came straight back at us and took advantage of poor defending.

I don't think we were great by any means, personally think their poor performance made us look better than what we actually were.

This

Quick Reply