Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match:

Jones
      2 (2.3%)
      Touré
      1 (1.2%)
      Skrtel
      1 (1.2%)
      Sakho
      25 (29.1%)
      Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Gerrard
      0 (0%)
      Lucas
      2 (2.3%)
      Markovic
      0 (0%)
      Coutinho
      14 (16.3%)
      Sterling
      15 (17.4%)
      Lallana
      8 (9.3%)
      Mignolet
      5 (5.8%)
      Can
      12 (14%)
      Lambert
      1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Burnley 0:1 Liverpool. In game & post match smash and grab.

Read 27544 times
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Re: Burnley 0:1 Liverpool. In game & post match smash and grab.
      Reply #529: Dec 26, 2014 08:27:27 pm
      Really bored atm, so I thought maybe il try to rate our team performance. This is how I saw it, could be some of you don't agree and I welcome the feedback.

Jones: can't really rate him because he was on the pitch for couple of min. Should have dived to try that shot.

Mig: 5/10 poor performance. Looked shaky the whole game. His clearances and ball distribution was poor.

Toure: 6/10 decent game, did his job. Didn't do anything noteworthy but that's a good thing when it comes to a defender imo.

Skrtel: 6/10 clean sheet. Alright performance. Still could see his lack that f confidence.

Sakho: 7/10 tried to slide tackle a little too much in the start. He doesn't look comfortable with the ball but he somehow manages to pass the our players.  started to think that awkward thingy is just his technique. Solid performance overall

Lazar: 5/10 was pushed off the ball too easily. Hope he picks up for the next game. I feel for the guy tho, he wants to play as attacking player tho but is stuck with a kind of lwb role

Hendo: 5/10 no surprise that he is wasted on the side. The boys runs and runs but lacks the skill and pace to play on the side. Reminds of kuyt under Rafa.

Lucas 6/10 looked slow today but still had a decent game imo. Lost ball here and there but made up for it by getting it back. Would call it a ok performance tho.

Stevie 5/10  I can't get myself to criticise him. Love the player but I see why some are saying that he shouldn't be playing every game.

Cou: 6/10 shouldn't be playing on the right. He looks most dangerous in the middle or the left. He likes to cut in with his right foot to shoot other find a pass. Doesn't work when you are playing on the right. Great assist. Only thing that stopped me from giving him 5

Lallana: 5/10 the boy never gets tired. Wasn't his day. 

Sterling: 6/10. I know he scored the only goal but that doesn't automatically mean that he had a good game. He took the goal well but he is getting too selfish. He had couple of chances where he could have put other players in better postion but he choose to dribble or shoot. Had a woeful first touch most of the time.
      He took the goal well, and is hell of a talent. We sometimes forget how young and raw he actually is. Too much pressure on him atm, and he needs to be rested for his own good.

Can: 7/10 alot of us were saying he should get some time on the pitch and he showed why. He wasn't playing where he prefers to play but looked solid. I don't think put a foot wrong for the whole time he played. I would go as far as saying that I doubt we would have had a clean sheet if he wasn't on the pitch.
      Would love to see him as a cm or dm.

Lambert : 6/10 looked decent. Held the ball few times but lacks the pace. Could clearly see that with all the early starts of his runs.

Like i said, it's only my opinion not I'm not dressing them as fact but I welcome the feedback. It always intrigues me how we all see the same game differently.

Last not least. Three points. F**k yeah :)

Fair rating system.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #530: Dec 26, 2014 08:28:51 pm
      Really bored atm, so I thought maybe il try to rate our team performance. This is how I saw it, could be some of you don't agree and I welcome the feedback.

Jones: can't really rate him because he was on the pitch for couple of min. Should have dived to try that shot.

Mig: 5/10 poor performance. Looked shaky the whole game. His clearances and ball distribution was poor.

Toure: 6/10 decent game, did his job. Didn't do anything noteworthy but that's a good thing when it comes to a defender imo.

Skrtel: 6/10 clean sheet. Alright performance. Still could see his lack that f confidence.

Sakho: 7/10 tried to slide tackle a little too much in the start. He doesn't look comfortable with the ball but he somehow manages to pass the our players.  started to think that awkward thingy is just his technique. Solid performance overall

Lazar: 5/10 was pushed off the ball too easily. Hope he picks up for the next game. I feel for the guy tho, he wants to play as attacking player tho but is stuck with a kind of lwb role

Hendo: 5/10 no surprise that he is wasted on the side. The boys runs and runs but lacks the skill and pace to play on the side. Reminds of kuyt under Rafa.

Lucas 6/10 looked slow today but still had a decent game imo. Lost ball here and there but made up for it by getting it back. Would call it a ok performance tho.

Stevie 5/10  I can't get myself to criticise him. Love the player but I see why some are saying that he shouldn't be playing every game.

Cou: 6/10 shouldn't be playing on the right. He looks most dangerous in the middle or the left. He likes to cut in with his right foot to shoot other find a pass. Doesn't work when you are playing on the right. Great assist. Only thing that stopped me from giving him 5

Lallana: 5/10 the boy never gets tired. Wasn't his day. 

Sterling: 6/10. I know he scored the only goal but that doesn't automatically mean that he had a good game. He took the goal well but he is getting too selfish. He had couple of chances where he could have put other players in better postion but he choose to dribble or shoot. Had a woeful first touch most of the time.
      He took the goal well, and is hell of a talent. We sometimes forget how young and raw he actually is. Too much pressure on him atm, and he needs to be rested for his own good.

Can: 7/10 alot of us were saying he should get some time on the pitch and he showed why. He wasn't playing where he prefers to play but looked solid. I don't think put a foot wrong for the whole time he played. I would go as far as saying that I doubt we would have had a clean sheet if he wasn't on the pitch.
      Would love to see him as a cm or dm.

Lambert : 6/10 looked decent. Held the ball few times but lacks the pace. Could clearly see that with all the early starts of his runs.

Like i said, it's only my opinion not I'm not dressing them as fact but I welcome the feedback. It always intrigues me how we all see the same game differently.

Last not least. Three points. F**k yeah :)

When I saw that I thought his positioning was atrocious, but then we went off, I suspect his leg just was not going to work.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #531: Dec 26, 2014 08:33:07 pm
      Unless BR gets it right then he's fu**ed.Really, that's how it goes, I hope he sorts this mess out because to me it's loads of playmakers without a striker or tw0, weird sh*t to me.
      I posted it here instead of the Br thread just because- no real reason. I feel embarrassed watching us this season.
      Lets move forward... hmm please.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #532: Dec 26, 2014 08:58:32 pm
      Did the mancs win there? Southampton? Newcastle? Er no, we did.

20 years ago, we played them there in the cup and were happy to get a replay. 10 years ago, Traore scored a christmas video goal there to put us out of the cup.

Burnley away is always hard, and the game was a hard fought battle as I expected, but this time we won with a clean sheet, it's our first win on this day in 5 years, and it's now just 1 loss in the last 9 games. Win the next two at home and we'll be in good shape going into the window and the second half of the season.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,610 posts | 3914 
      Reply #533: Dec 26, 2014 09:13:17 pm
      Did the mancs win there? Southampton? Newcastle? Er no, we did.

20 years ago, we played them there in the cup and were happy to get a replay. 10 years ago, Traore scored a christmas video goal there to put us out of the cup.

Burnley away is always hard, and the game was a hard fought battle as I expected, but this time we won with a clean sheet, it's our first win on this day in 5 years, and it's now just 1 loss in the last 9 games. Win the next two at home and we'll be in good shape going into the window and the second half of the season.

Wow when you put it like that it doesn't feel too bad does it
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,310 posts | 1521 
      Reply #534: Dec 26, 2014 09:24:59 pm
      We win our next two home games then who f**king knows huh....

And all teams above us lose the next two games as well......

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #535: Dec 26, 2014 09:25:24 pm
      So our replacement for Suarez remained off the pitch for the entire 90 minutes? Oh wait, he tore up the QPR defence time and again at the Emirates.

I'm delighted with the end result; that is, three points away from home. However we struggled, and deserved nothing more than a draw. Our performance against Arsenal was a sign that we were eventually turning a corner but our performance today suggested that we are going nowhere fast.

We can forget about the champions league next season as far as I'm concerned. Could we even beat the likes of Roma? We couldn't beat Basel and scraped past Ludogorets once. Today we were lucky. More annoyingly is seeing 1) no cover for Daniel Sturridge and 2) Suarez' replacement sitting on the bench (or if you want to be difficult, you could say he plays for Arsenal). But anyway, the three points is all that mattered and boy do we need to improve if we are to beat Swansea. Our home record is pretty dire.

Expect to see signings in January. A competent goalkeeper and a competent striker. No more dud signings. Quality over quantity. The evidence since Houllier to Rodgers is there for all to see.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #536: Dec 26, 2014 09:26:47 pm
      Missed seeing the game due to thinking it was a 4 o'clock ko due to me being in the uk for christmas and living abroad for the rest of the time and getting my times mixed up!
      Anyhow got a stream eventually to hear (not see, no pic)Sterling score and then lose the thread for the rest of the game, so like a few others on here its MOTD tonight for me.
      Think we've suffered a serious leak on this thread as there seems to be a serious outbreak of optimism :f_tongueincheek:
      Personally I always think we'll finish 1st, until we can't ! so my own optimism is always on overload but it's nice to see from others !
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #537: Dec 26, 2014 09:34:13 pm
      Haven't watch the match but gonna do so in an hour's time. After scanning through the last 10 pages here, it seems we're back to square one again and I stick to my opinion that BR has no clue on how to make the quartet of Sterling, Lallana, Balo/Lambert and Cou to work as an effective unit, it's there for everyone to see. We have a speedy and tricky Sterling, a workhorse and swashbuckling Lallana, a very physical Balo, a playmaker in Cou and a nuisance in the box for opposition defenders in Lambert, give this quartet to an experience manager and he will turn this quartet into a beast.

I'm sorry  to say this but it is not pleasant to hear, give BR another 100m to spend this coming Jan he'll most probably waste it because he will buy players again and doesn't know how to deploy them to maximise their effectiveness and to play as a cohesive unit.

Looking at BR now and the BR of last year many posters here said Suarez did the difficult part (tactics) for BR and I have to agree 100% after watching 18 games. But the saddest thing is, does BR even knows what to do tactically to bring the best out of the players he already has? The answer to me is no, it doesn't take a quality manager 19 games to get things right and yet still trying to figure out the winning formula.

Take a look at the Liverpool of the old, we don't have the Zidanes  or the Maradonnas but we had dedicated, hardworking no nonsense players and the players played as a cohesive unit and a system of tactics that were tailored to their strengths.   

I'd say to BR now, go play back the old recordings of yesteryears games and the blueprint of success is there and that old whiskey nose stole that blueprint and implemented it as if it was his.
      « Last Edit: Dec 26, 2014 09:55:56 pm by redkop63 »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,310 posts | 1521 
      Reply #538: Dec 26, 2014 09:38:03 pm
      We go for a decent keeper in Jan and all sorts of problems arise for John Henry. How can we afford one with Migs still on the pay roll ? We sure as hell ain't gonna sell him. No one in their right mind will put in an offer.
      Financial Stalling Block !
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #539: Dec 26, 2014 09:38:11 pm
      Haven't watch the match but gonna do so in an hours time. After scanning through the last 10 pages here it seems we're back to square one again and I stick to my opinion BR has no clue how to make the quartet of Sterling, Lallana, Balo and Cou or even Lambert works as an effective unit, it's there for everyone to see. We have a speedy and tricky Sterling, a workhorse and swashbuckling Lallana, a very physical Balo, a playmaker in Cou and a nuisance in the box for opposition defenders in Lambert, give this quartet to an experience manager and he will turn this quartet into a beast.

Watch the game before you comment.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,310 posts | 1521 
      Reply #540: Dec 26, 2014 09:40:20 pm
      Watch the game before you comment.

You mean the last 12 games count for nothing ?   ???
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #541: Dec 26, 2014 09:40:39 pm
      We go for a decent keeper in Jan and all sorts of problems arise for John Henry. How can we afford one with Migs still on the pay roll ? We sure as hell ain't gonna sell him. No one in their right mind will put in an offer.
      Financial Stalling Block !

Doesn't matter. Mignolet and Jones are finished. Totally. Release them as soon as we sign a new keeper and appoint the U21 keeper as back-up.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,310 posts | 1521 
      Reply #542: Dec 26, 2014 09:41:56 pm
      Doesn't matter. Mignolet and Jones are finished. Totally. Release them as soon as we sign a new keeper and appoint the U21 keeper as back-up.

Totally agree with you canuck, as long as fsg does regards the finances.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #543: Dec 26, 2014 09:42:38 pm
      You mean the last 12 games count for nothing ?   ???

Shouldn't comment in the match thread if you didn't watch, no matter how many previous games you watched. End of.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #544: Dec 26, 2014 09:44:43 pm
      Great to get 3 points, but the performance really leaves a lot to be desired. Brendan still has a lot of work to do, he needs a really good window, we just cannot afford any more duffs.

Yeah, pack his bags.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #545: Dec 26, 2014 09:45:29 pm
      Haven't watch the match but gonna do so in an hours time. After scanning through the last 10 pages here it seems we're back to square one again and I stick to my opinion BR has no clue how to make the quartet of Sterling, Lallana, Balo and Cou or even Lambert works as an effective unit, it's there for everyone to see. We have a speedy and tricky Sterling, a workhorse and swashbuckling Lallana, a very physical Balo, a playmaker in Cou and a nuisance in the box for opposition defenders in Lambert, give this quartet to an experience manager and he will turn this quartet into a beast.

It's a problem I and many others saw coming. The problem with going out spending in the transfer window with the mindset of "bolstering the squad" is a disaster waiting to happen. You are suggesting that you will bring in players of similar quality to the ones you already have. It suggests that you are currently happy with the standard of quality your players already possess. It's wrong on so many levels. It causes a selection issue - not always a good problem to have either.

Lovren, Moreno, Lallana, Markovic, Balotelli and Lambert have hardly improved our team, if at all. Our squad is supposedly bolstered, but I'm looking at a team sitting in mid table and already out of the champions league. What was the purpose of bolstering the squad again?

Before Suarez was linked with Barcelona, we were linked with Sanchez. I was expecting or hoping for a frontline of Sanchez-Sturridge-Sanchez with Sterling coming off the bench or starting the odd game. Instead he is our only hope. Admittedly the likes of Lallana and Markovic are starting to improve their individual game, but as for the team cohesion it is just not happening.

Next season Borini, Lambert and Balotelli all need to be playing their trade elsewhere. They are not typical Liverpool players. They lack everything Suarez and Sturridge possess. It's so depressing. I'm just happy (kind of) that we got three points and January is only days away. Will January prove productive for us though? Doubt it.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #546: Dec 26, 2014 09:47:25 pm
      Totally agree with you canuck, as long as fsg does regards the finances.

They are under contract, they need to get paid. Pacta sunt servanda. But at least we save on the costs they create by just being there, like laundry soap and lunches.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3841 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #547: Dec 26, 2014 09:57:30 pm
      A win.
      A clean sheet.

Start Can please.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #548: Dec 26, 2014 09:59:40 pm
      A win.
      A clean sheet.

Start Can please.

Start Can? I've been thinking this since his appearance against Chelsea. Played well, then dropped. Why? Heaven knows..
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,672 posts | 887 
      Reply #549: Dec 26, 2014 10:00:21 pm
      I think alot of us forget how hard is to keep a world class player. They want to win, they see the unexperienced and cheap players we are bringing in. They come to same conclusion as we do, it's not going to happen any time soon.

Yeah, I know barca is luis's dream team and wives family are from there but Luis was ready to leave to Arsenal and real. Torres wanted to leave aswell.

So raheem turns into a world class player next season, how are we going him to stop him leaving? We should show our ambition by going after world class players.

It's huge risiko buying expensive players, but it gives the team the belief that we are a big club. We all gonna have the excuse that we are not in cl, so the biggest players are not gonna come to us, but look at the scum. They signed di Maria and now they are third.

I'm not against fsg, nor the manager. I haven't decided on any of them yet. I'm just here to rant how I feel. The truth is that I can't see us winning the title anytime soon.

I know what I had done if I was Mr henry. I would change the whole structure of the club, change the transfer policy and change the key men behind the scene.

Edit: oops, this was meant to be in the owners thread. Damn android tablets
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #550: Dec 26, 2014 10:03:03 pm
      Haven't watch the match but gonna do so in an hour's time. After scanning through the last 10 pages here, it seems we're back to square one again and I stick to my opinion that BR has no clue on how to make the quartet of Sterling, Lallana, Balo/Lambert and Cou to work as an effective unit, it's there for everyone to see. We have a speedy and tricky Sterling, a workhorse and swashbuckling Lallana, a very physical Balo, a playmaker in Cou and a nuisance in the box for opposition defenders in Lambert, give this quartet to an experience manager and he will turn this quartet into a beast.

I'm sorry  to say this but it is not pleasant to hear, give BR another 100m to spend this coming Jan he'll most probably waste it because he will buy players again and doesn't know how to deploy them to maximise their effectiveness and to play as a cohesive unit.

Looking at BR now and the BR of last year many posters here said Suarez did the difficult part (tactics) for BR and I have to agree 100% after watching 18 games. But the saddest thing is, does BR even knows what to do tactically to bring the best out of the players he already has? The answer to me is no, it doesn't take a quality manager 19 games to get things right and yet still trying to figure out the winning formula.

Take a look at the Liverpool of the old, we don't have the Zidanes  or the Maradonnas but we had dedicated, hardworking no nonsense players and the players played as a cohesive unit and a system of tactics that were tailored to their strengths.   

I'd say to BR now, go play back the old recordings of yesteryears games and the blueprint of success is there and that old whiskey nose stole that blueprint and implemented it as if it was his and BR has got those players that will fit straight into that blueprint.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #551: Dec 26, 2014 10:13:31 pm
      Piss poor performance.  Great result.

I'll take them until the end of the season.  Problem is that turds can't be polished twice a week.  Football just not better than it was in September.  Lambert not being picked.  Balotelli sat warming the bench.  Sturridge sat playing on Instagram over in Boston. 

Surprised the whole quad of the transfer committee is still intact.  A very forgiving multi-million pound organisation to work for is Liverpool FC - where mediocrity on the pitch and amongst the executives is accepted.

I think alot of us forget how hard is to keep a world class player.

It's a lot harder than keeping hold of very good players - which also we haven't managed to buy for £200M.

Quick Reply