Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Danny Ward (Liverpool > Leicester)

Read 66378 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Danny Ward (Liverpool > Leicester)
      Dec 26, 2014 08:42:57 pm
      By default, and Brad Jones' injury our 3rd choice 'keeper may be picked on Monday night.

May I present Danny Ward, Liverpool's number 52.

First Name   Danny
      Surname   Ward
      Squad Number   52
      Position   Goalkeeper
      Height   1.80m
      Weight   88 kg
      D.O.B.   22 Jun 1993
      Town of Birth   Wrexham
      Country of Birth   Wales
      Nationality   Welsh

Liverpool secured the services of highly rated Welsh youth international goalkeeper Danny Ward from Wrexham in January 2012.
      Ward, who made his U18s debut against Bolton on February 4, 2012, signed for Wrexham as a 14-year-old.
      The 'keeper turned in a Man of the Match performance during his senior debut in a one-off loan game for Wrexham's Blue Square Bet Premier League rivals Tamworth last season.
      Internationally, Ward has played at schoolboy, U17s, U19s and U21s level for his country and featured in a UEFA qualifying tournament based in Slovakia in September 2011.
      In the summer of 2012, Ward was part of the first-team squad who made the trip out to North America for the pre-season tour.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/first-team/player/danny-ward

Not to be confused with the other Danny Ward who plays for Huddersfield Town.

« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2019 10:10:23 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Danny Ward
      Reply #1: Dec 26, 2014 08:48:02 pm

That's the only thing I worry about.

Other than that, I think he's a decent GK for his age from what I've seen.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #2: Dec 26, 2014 08:52:21 pm
      At what height would you stop worrying?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3: Dec 26, 2014 08:57:41 pm
      At what height would you stop worrying?

I think a GK should be at least 1.90m, especially if you want one to be dominating in crosses & set pieces. I just don't feel confident watching a small keeper in goal. How about you?

Anything under, you are gonna have to be truly exceptional like Casillas of old for me.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      Reply #4: Dec 26, 2014 09:07:31 pm
      Height for me means nothing, it's the ability to stop shots that matters.

Simon Mignolet Height: 1.93 m

Bruce Grobbelaar 1.85 m

I/we could go on.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #5: Dec 26, 2014 09:19:40 pm

Simon Mignolet Height: 1.93 m

Bruce Grobbelaar 1.85 m

I/we could go on.

I guess if you are good enough, you are good enough. But 1.80 seems awfully short for a keeper? I'm 1.80 and I consider myself short :O 1.80 = 5ft 10 ins or have I got it wrong? :D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #6: Dec 26, 2014 09:22:01 pm
      Time to throw the lad in the deep end. Mignolet is sh*t and if he never plays for us again, I honestly wouldn't care.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #7: Dec 26, 2014 09:23:01 pm
      That's the only thing I worry about.

Other than that, I think he's a decent GK for his age from what I've seen.

What's 1.80m? 5ft 10in or something like that? Being tall is beneficial and is something I'd prefer alongside talent.

Smaller keepers really do need to be extremely athletic with a good ape index.

Can't comment on Danny Ward as I really don't know enough about him. Be hard for anybody to do much worse than the two we've got now.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #8: Dec 26, 2014 09:31:40 pm
      What's 1.80m? 5ft 10in or something like that? Being tall is beneficial and is something I'd prefer alongside talent.

Smaller keepers really do need to be extremely athletic with a good ape index.

Can't comment on Danny Ward as I really don't know enough about him. Be hard for anybody to do much worse than the two we've got now.

Just preference, I just want to see a big flexible keeper between our post. When was the last time we really had a commanding keeper?

I've seen Ward play a few times, he's decent enough and who knows, could end up being better than Migs or Jones if given an opportunity! I know Ward was highly rated by the Welsh FA and ex players associated with Wales and a lot of them think he'll become an establish #1 someday.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #9: Dec 26, 2014 09:42:07 pm
      Just preference, I just want to see a big flexible keeper between our post. When was the last time we really had a commanding keeper?

Same mate. I want a some big F**k off goalkeeper with an even bigger gob. These two are poor at practically everything they are required to do and are far too quiet.

What's Ward's mouth like?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #10: Dec 26, 2014 09:48:07 pm
      It's the old adage though, a good little 'un beats a bad big 'un.

Get him in, there's no way he can do any worse than what we're currently having to endure.

At least his mistakes could be viewed as experience and learning for the lad. Currently the mistakes of Migs just look like a long standing trend unlikely to ever improve until he moves club and Jones just isn't up to scratch.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #11: Dec 26, 2014 10:14:17 pm
      Same mate. I want a some big f**k off goalkeeper with an even bigger gob. These two are poor at practically everything they are required to do and are far too quiet.

What's Ward's mouth like?

Can't really remember, but I don't expect a kid to come in and be all gobby, even if he was world class or not. I don't think we'll see Ward play unless Migs is injured. Nevertheless, It'll be good experience for him to sit on the bench and soak in first team vibe and pressure.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #12: Dec 26, 2014 10:19:32 pm
      Enjoyed watching this lad for the younger age groups over the past couple of years, I'd be surprised if Brendan picked him over Mignolet but after what happened in the game today with the ball going out, he could well surprise me.
      Toycel
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts |
      Reply #13: Dec 26, 2014 10:44:57 pm
      The bigger they are the harder they fall!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #14: Dec 26, 2014 10:53:33 pm

This!

I'd start him because let's face it, if he can at least kick the ball properly he is well on his way to being better than Migs.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #15: Dec 27, 2014 12:44:15 am
      It's hard to imagine how bad he'd have to play in order for us to say "well that was a mistake putting him in". Jones never saves anything so you can't do any worse than that, while Mignolet looks to me like he's completely and utterly gone.

Don't know about Petr Cech on loan, ask em for Mark Schwartzer if he's still playing.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #16: Dec 27, 2014 10:09:25 am
      Danny isn't the answer to our GK problem, he's ok but not great and he's still very young for a keeper.  That doesn't mean he's not worth trying but expecting him to come in and instantly improve us is too much for someone so inexperienced.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #17: Dec 27, 2014 11:12:47 am
      Throw the kid in. It could be the making of him.
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #18: Jan 28, 2015 01:10:12 pm
      Throw the kid in. It could be the making of him.

It's a big risk is that. Look what happened to the likes of Butland and Schmeichel. Confidence is paramount to a keeper and I'd hate to see him suffer at such a young age.

Clearly, he needs the experience though and it would have been great for him to start in the early stages of our domestic cup runs.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #19: Jan 29, 2015 12:48:16 pm
      sell jones and just keep this lad as back up, young enough to be happy being a no2 and wages are small.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #20: Jan 30, 2015 05:19:18 am
      sell jones and just keep this lad as back up, young enough to be happy being a no2 and wages are small.

;D you cant just expect a kid born in 1993 to just take the reigns if Mignolet goes down
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #21: Mar 20, 2015 02:36:15 pm
      lads just gone on a short loan deal to Morcombe were he will get some decent game time.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Danny Ward Joins Morecombe
      Reply #22: Mar 20, 2015 02:50:02 pm
      So Ward has gone out on loan now Brad is fit to get some first team competitive football will be a good move as BR will see if he needs to go out and get another top GK or if he can trust this young lad.

http://talksport.com/football/liverpool-goalkeeper-danny-ward-joins-morecambe-loan-150320140505

do you think a new no2 is needed or are we happy to have youth in that role not on big bucks as GKs dont really need much rest surely.
      « Last Edit: Mar 20, 2015 03:26:29 pm by MsGerrard »

Quick Reply