Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Who leads LFC, now?....

Read 11383 times
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Re: Who leads LFC, now?....
      Reply #69: Jan 03, 2015 09:20:17 pm
      Managers get less time now as well and the lack of patience makes them think that they don't have time to blood kids and they need a quicker fix and a more established foreign player will do the job.

The more foreign coaches as well are more comfortable in bringing that market in

I think its a lot to do with the fact that Managers cant keep their jobs and each one keeps changing the youth systems when they come in.

Would I be correct in saying, Shelvey, Sterling, Suso and Ibe are all outputs from a very successful youth spell with Rodolfo Borrell at the helm? Always bugged me when he got "promoted"/pushed.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #70: Jan 03, 2015 09:26:04 pm
      I think its a lot to do with the fact that Managers cant keep their jobs and each one keeps changing the youth systems when they come in.

Would I be correct in saying, Shelvey, Sterling, Suso and Ibe are all outputs from a very successful youth spell with Rodolfo Borrell at the helm? Always bugged me when he got "promoted"/pushed.

It takes a while to bare the fruits of a youth system and really a manager needs a fairly long time in the job to see the benefits.. The exception at times are the outstanding local talents who are so well known within the whole club set up that they come through regardless.

Those you mentioned all really are products of other clubs systems. Shelvey was an Arsenal product who was sold to Charlton before we brought him. Sterling was a QPR product.. Ibe had played first team at Wycombe..Suso from Cadiz I think. We rounded them but didn't develop them really

I loved Rodolfo's work... I think it's as simple as he was tapped up by Man City
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,610 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #71: Jan 04, 2015 01:17:40 am
      Stevie. ;D
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #72: Jan 04, 2015 07:38:38 am
      Well Stevie has been a fairly rubbish captain, ALTHOUGH AN OUTSTANDING PLAYER, so whoever we choose will probably be an improvement. I would like to see Brendan pick a new captain immediatly but he probably doesn't want to upset his landlord. I'd go for Henderson.

The fact is that we look a better team without Stevie despite all these fuckwit pundits kissing Stevie's arse at the moment calling him our current best midfielder, give me a break!!

F**k me, Now Stevie has been a Rubbish Captain?? I've heard it all now!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #73: Jan 05, 2015 11:41:57 am
      It's worrying that we can't name any leaders in our team. Henderson seems to be the majority vote but I wouldn't class him as a leader personally.  I expect more from a captain than to just run around for 90minutes covering ground. I mean no disrespect to Jordan, but I couldn't take him serious if he was giving me a bollocking or trying to rally me up for a game. He is an average premiership midfielder who shys away at times and rarely leads by example himself. In an ideal world Jordan would be a squad player for us. He isn't good enough to play for a side with title and European ambition. But presumably Henderson will be named captain as he is currently vice to Steven...that concerns me. Who will be vice to Jordan too?

The only two candidates for captaincy for me are Lucas and Flanno. Both would put their bodies on the line and both are consistently good. Lucas is experienced and Flanno is local - they are both capable of motivating a team.

Neither are realistic options though, they don't play enough football for us.

The only other player I would consider is Sturridge. He is a world class striker at the end of the day and will lead by example using his quality - his work rate is under rated. I'm just not sure he is vocal enough.

No wonder our back four is in such a mess though when you can't pick a leader out of Mignolet, Johnson, Skrtel, Manquillo, Enrique, Moreno, Lovren & Sakho
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #74: Jan 05, 2015 03:15:05 pm
      Well Stevie has been a fairly rubbish captain, ALTHOUGH AN OUTSTANDING PLAYER, so whoever we choose will probably be an improvement. I would like to see Brendan pick a new captain immediatly but he probably doesn't want to upset his landlord. I'd go for Henderson.

The fact is that we look a better team without Stevie despite all these fuckwit pundits kissing Stevie's arse at the moment calling him our current best midfielder, give me a break!!

:mad:
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #75: Jan 05, 2015 03:43:01 pm
      It's worrying that we can't name any leaders in our team. Henderson seems to be the majority vote but I wouldn't class him as a leader personally.  I expect more from a captain than to just run around for 90minutes covering ground. I mean no disrespect to Jordan, but I couldn't take him serious if he was giving me a bollocking or trying to rally me up for a game. He is an average premiership midfielder who shys away at times and rarely leads by example himself. In an ideal world Jordan would be a squad player for us. He isn't good enough to play for a side with title and European ambition. But presumably Henderson will be named captain as he is currently vice to Steven...that concerns me. Who will be vice to Jordan too?

The only two candidates for captaincy for me are Lucas and Flanno. Both would put their bodies on the line and both are consistently good. Lucas is experienced and Flanno is local - they are both capable of motivating a team.

Neither are realistic options though, they don't play enough football for us.

The only other player I would consider is Sturridge. He is a world class striker at the end of the day and will lead by example using his quality - his work rate is under rated. I'm just not sure he is vocal enough.

No wonder our back four is in such a mess though when you can't pick a leader out of Mignolet, Johnson, Skrtel, Manquillo, Enrique, Moreno, Lovren & Sakho

to be fair to hendo... he was the captain of the U21s for England so not only BR sees leadership qualities.

also, I feel he has massive respect for stevie.  so when SG is on the pitch, he lets SG take all the leadership responsibilities.  However, if you look at the games SG isn't on the pitch.. like that stretch of a few games last year, Hendo displayed quite abit of ability as a player and as a leader.

right now, as of today, I say we should give this lad a chance.  I think he can really be good for us.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #76: Jan 05, 2015 04:37:19 pm
      to be fair to hendo... he was the captain of the U21s for England so not only BR sees leadership qualities.

also, I feel he has massive respect for stevie.  so when SG is on the pitch, he lets SG take all the leadership responsibilities.  However, if you look at the games SG isn't on the pitch.. like that stretch of a few games last year, Hendo displayed quite abit of ability as a player and as a leader.

right now, as of today, I say we should give this lad a chance.  I think he can really be good for us.

Nah. Not for me.

Compare him to previous players who have captained us and tell me again you think he would be a good captain for us. Henderson isn't fit to lace their boots in all honesty.

Henderson received many plaudits last season for the work he did that went unnoticed. The likes of Danny and Luis stepped up when needed, Stevie did, Raheem and Coutinho both did, Skrtel did at times and flanno went into every tackle that made the crowd roar.

What did Jordan do apart from cover Stevies ground? He was part of a great season last year and certainly played a part don't get me wrong, but half a dozen or so players stood out far more for me than Jordan did.

You can be a type of captain where you let your football do the talking. Messi could captain any team for example. Or you could be a carragher and a Flanno who gets stuck in and organises things. It's why Stevie was a great captain because he had everything.  Jordan has very little to offer us in my opinion being captain.

I also have higher ambition and don't believe he should be starting every game for us either. I've said many times before he reminds me of a james milner type of player. He is no world beater but will do a job for you. He would make a brilliant squad player.

Overall, I like Jordan, he seems an honest lad and does put a shift in when he wants too but shouldn't be captain of Liverpool FC.

Unfortunately for us, he seems the only candidate. 
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #77: Jan 05, 2015 05:16:54 pm
      Nah. Not for me.

Compare him to previous players who have captained us and tell me again you think he would be a good captain for us. Henderson isn't fit to lace their boots in all honesty.

Henderson received many plaudits last season for the work he did that went unnoticed. The likes of Danny and Luis stepped up when needed, Stevie did, Raheem and Coutinho both did, Skrtel did at times and flanno went into every tackle that made the crowd roar.

What did Jordan do apart from cover Stevies ground? He was part of a great season last year and certainly played a part don't get me wrong, but half a dozen or so players stood out far more for me than Jordan did.

You can be a type of captain where you let your football do the talking. Messi could captain any team for example. Or you could be a carragher and a Flanno who gets stuck in and organises things. It's why Stevie was a great captain because he had everything.  Jordan has very little to offer us in my opinion being captain.

I also have higher ambition and don't believe he should be starting every game for us either. I've said many times before he reminds me of a james milner type of player. He is no world beater but will do a job for you. He would make a brilliant squad player.

Overall, I like Jordan, he seems an honest lad and does put a shift in when he wants too but shouldn't be captain of Liverpool FC.

Unfortunately for us, he seems the only candidate.

I guess time will tell if he is good or not.  Like I said, BR is not the only professional manager to see Henderson's leadership abilities.   I personally believe hendo will blossom once SG is no longer with us.   He gets the opportunity to stake his claim.   

to question what he did apart from covering SG's ground is a bit harsh.

what is shocking for me is that say we move Hendo to captain.. I am not sure who can be VC? maybe lallana... but not sure
      « Last Edit: Jan 05, 2015 05:45:27 pm by DaktionLFC »
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #78: Jan 05, 2015 10:09:51 pm
      Going on tonight's display.... I fear for us. Not one of them had a bit of bottle to stand up to Wimbledon.
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #79: Jan 06, 2015 06:24:09 pm
      The more and more I think about it,  the more worried I become. I honestly think next season we will be an average team with little to no recognised quality.

Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho aside the team is average at best and none of them or the rest are close to being the leader or talent Gerrard is now let alone what he was.

Carra suarez and now stevie is just too much to lose in two seasons.

I seriously think we are in bother.

Why are we so nervous and calamitice? Because the majority of our players are weak minded... We need to seriously address our lack of balls, quality and leadership..... fast
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,349 posts | 1622 
      Reply #80: Jan 06, 2015 06:40:54 pm

Every now and then one comes along like this , is this the same man who led this club on a journey into Europe which quite possibly won't be equalled in our lifetime a club captain that you never hear bad mouthed   by team mates domestic or foreign a captain who has remained at the top despite turmoil fighting and various managers , give your head a wobble lad  and keep off the drugs .

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      Reply #81: Jan 06, 2015 08:25:29 pm
      Every now and then one comes along like this , is this the same man who led this club on a journey into Europe which quite possibly won't be equalled in our lifetime a club captain that you never hear bad mouthed   by team mates domestic or foreign a captain who has remained at the top despite turmoil fighting and various managers , give your head a wobble lad  and keep off the drugs .

Agree with everything you say mate, part from the keep off the drugs part  ;). Everyone always says that when someone talks sh*t (like this bloke clearly has been)and it bugs me because people dont talk sh*t when they are on the drugs, well I don't anyway.  :)
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,349 posts | 1622 
      Reply #82: Jan 06, 2015 10:30:48 pm
      Was meant a bit tongue in cheek mate  no offenc  intended to anyone  .
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #83: Jan 06, 2015 10:49:10 pm
      Agree with everything you say mate, part from the keep off the drugs part  ;). Everyone always says that when someone talks sh*t (like this bloke clearly has been)and it bugs me because people dont talk sh*t when they are on the drugs, well I don't anyway.  :)

I grew up with a guy who used to drink the neck out of a bottle of cider and fill it with Benylin cough syrup (do you get that down under AR?) - used to say as well as giving him a nice vapour trail for the night it dealt with the hangover head on!

Sound logic till you found him upside down in a hedge sleeping 2 hours later.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #84: Jan 06, 2015 11:12:29 pm
      What you basing that on?  That he has captained the club for 11 years? That 5 different managers kept him as captain, that all those players who have played under him call him an inspiration?  Or just cause you don't see him shouting much at times?

Absolutely no doubt that if Masch had been born in Liverpool he would have been captain over Stevie.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #85: Jan 06, 2015 11:16:40 pm

Absolutely no doubt that if Masch had been born in Liverpool he would have been captain over Stevie.
      You talk utter tripe at times , go back slagging Borini it's the only thing you got spot on .

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,241 posts | 4929 
      Reply #86: Jan 06, 2015 11:17:53 pm

The fact that Masch was born in San Lorenzo, Argentina makes this point irrelevant and pretty pointless Fed.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #87: Jan 06, 2015 11:19:08 pm
      You talk utter tripe at times , go back slagging Borini it's the only thing you got spot on .

Sorry but it's true.  Masch was much more of a leader on the pitch than Stevie ever dreamt of being.  If they were both Scousers then Masch clearly would have been the better captain.  Doesn't mean he was the better player, but Suarez was our best player and he wasn't captain either. 

So yes,  Masch would have been captain if he hadn't been from Argentina.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #88: Jan 06, 2015 11:21:54 pm

Where? In the Peoples Republic of Fed?

Baseless
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      Reply #89: Jan 06, 2015 11:26:01 pm
      I grew up with a guy who used to drink the neck out of a bottle of cider and fill it with Benylin cough syrup (do you get that down under AR?) - used to say as well as giving him a nice vapour trail for the night it dealt with the hangover head on!

Sound logic till you found him upside down in a hedge sleeping 2 hours later.

Don't know mate, only ever stuck to Mary Jane.  :D
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #90: Jan 06, 2015 11:34:10 pm
      Don't know mate, only ever stuck to Mary Jane.  :D

Nice girl, doesn't half like her grub though  ;)

Quick Reply