Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Liverpool 2-2 Leicester. In game & Post match misery

Read 44455 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 Leicester. In game & Post match misery
      Reply #552: Jan 01, 2015 09:29:19 pm
      My whole thing is Brendan decided to play Gerrard AND Lucas. If he would have played Gerrard and Henderson or Lucas and Henderson in the middle, we probably play a lot better and get the win. I just don't understand his insistence to keep trying a midfield pairing that clearly doesn't work.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,701 posts | 893 
      Reply #553: Jan 01, 2015 09:30:55 pm
      After watching the whole game, and had couple of drinks to cool off.
      All I can say is that we are Shitt.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #554: Jan 01, 2015 10:06:16 pm
      Gerrard and Lucas or not, there is no excuse for shipping2 goals in 2 minutes. How many times have 2 or 3 men taken out 6 defended with a couple of passes? It's not rocket science, pick up the F***ing runner! Everyone in our team has been guilty of ball watching at some point this season resulting in goals. Brendan shouldn't even have to teach that, these guys are experienced players, there's no excuse!
      solodee

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #555: Jan 01, 2015 11:04:03 pm
      We, Liverpool FC fans, are brutal when it comes to treating one of our players like a has-been.

It happened  to Hyypia, Carragher, Riise and now Gerrard.

It's like we're saying to them, "We love you; you've served us well, but please go!"

Truth be told. Leicester City were rampant today. I doubt if the winners against Swansea could have done any better.  They did not smack our midfield silly and then score.

A player that scored two penalties is being blamed for defensive errors of Kolo Toure.

Y'all need to dial it down a bit.
      « Last Edit: Jan 01, 2015 11:16:36 pm by solodee »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #556: Jan 01, 2015 11:36:41 pm
      Not the first time I have said this in the current season and it won't be the last...Not good enough and unacceptable.

Games like this, against the team at the bottom and who will probably get relegated are your bread and butter games, your 6 pointers in the season so to blow a 2 goal lead, a lead we shouldn't of even had is completely unacceptable. We had a chance to move closer to the bunch above us and take advantage of results round us but we cocked it up.

Their first goal was shocking beyond belief too, all credit to Nugent for the technique but their number 8 I think it was who played the ball over for Vardy to chest down shouldn't have happened; their was nobody anywhere near him, Lucas was just stood still watching him and he had so much time and space to play the pass and it was like that all game. Fora team that is meant to be about the pressing, we just stood around watching them how to pass round us.

Their second goal summed things up and we all knew it was going to happen. Also when Migs "dived" for it, it looked like he was just attempting teddy bear rolls or something.

Disappointing given how easily we won our last game.

Positive note though, Hendo was unlucky not to score a belter of a goal from that corner, picked out perfectly by Gerrard.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,505 posts | 1496 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #557: Jan 01, 2015 11:41:48 pm
      It's like we're saying to them, "We love you; you've served us well, but please go!"
      Absolutely. Definitely, you got it right. The club comes before any player, be that Gerrard, Dalglish, or Suarez. When it's time to go it's time to go. Or would you rather we hang on to aging players a bit longer until, well, until when? When in your opinion is it ok to say 'We love you, thanks for everything but you have to leave now"?

Truth be told. Leicester City were rampant today. I doubt if the winners against Swansea could have done any better.  They did not smack our midfield silly and then score.
      Could not disagree more. The truth is that the side we put out against Swansea looked a lot more fluid and balanced, and would have done a lot better than the side that we put out on new year's day. Leicester City did not nor have not, ever, run rampant against us at Anfield. We let them play because we couldn't stop them. We shot ourselves in the foot.

A player that scored two penalties is being blamed for defensive errors of Kolo Toure.
      Correct. Scoring two penalties and doing little else for 93 minutes doesn't get you off the hook. He was nowhere for the rest of the game and needed subbing. But as discussed, that's not Gerrard's fault, that was the Gaffer's fault.

Y'all need to dial it down a bit.
      Fans are frustrated because they can see a living legend being driven to his knees. The player is too loyal and proud to say drop me, and the Gaffer only knows why he keeps picking him.

Just because fans want Gerrard to walk doesn't mean he'll be walking alone.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #558: Jan 01, 2015 11:42:57 pm

The most successful teams tend to be the most ruthless.

But most people's complaint about Gerrard, isn't wholly about his performances, it's to do with the way the manager is utilizing him. Playing him 3 times in a week this season is just amateur management from Rodgers...giving him an automatic starting place is idiotic.

Everyone on the forum wants Gerrard to stay, just that most know he's being overplayed.
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2015 12:29:39 am by lfc_ynwa »
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,156 posts | 1287 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #559: Jan 02, 2015 12:17:23 am
      Absolutely. Definitely, you got it right. The club comes before any player, be that Gerrard, Dalglish, or Suarez. When it's time to go it's time to go. Or would you rather we hang on to aging players a bit longer until, well, until when? When in your opinion is it ok to say 'We love you, thanks for everything but you have to leave now"?
      Could not disagree more. The truth is that the side we put out against Swansea looked a lot more fluid and balanced, and would have done a lot better than the side that we put out on new year's day. Leicester City did not nor have not, ever, run rampant against us at Anfield. We let them play because we couldn't stop them. We shot ourselves in the foot.
      Correct. Scoring two penalties and doing little else for 93 minutes doesn't get you off the hook. He was nowhere for the rest of the game and needed subbing. But as discussed, that's not Gerrard's fault, that was the Gaffer's fault.
      Fans are frustrated because they can see a living legend being driven to his knees. The player is too loyal and proud to say drop me, and the Gaffer only knows why he keeps picking him.

Just because fans want Gerrard to walk doesn't mean he'll be walking alone.

With all due respect Rush, this isn't just aimed at you sir, many people have been a bit premature with their praise after the Swansea result.

Swansea City were terrible on Monday night, if we are to gauge our progress so far this Season then the Swansea game is a very feeble yardstick to gauge from.
      DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Reply #560: Jan 02, 2015 12:22:02 am
      We played absolutely sh*t. No passion, no desire, no working. Absolute nothing.

Mignolet was okay. He came out for crosses and his kicking was sh*t like always. He could've done better at the 2nd goal. But atleast his gaining confidence.

Sakho had a good game. But he needs to stop going to the ground so quickly. He's very lucky nobody is yet to make a dive when he challenges, because it's a very good opportunity to dive.

Toure wasn't playing bad, neither good. He didn't had to do much defensively and his passing was sloppy like always.

Can was playing like a 20 year old. Coincidence, making a few mistakes and being tired like most young players would be after playing 3 games in a week. I think he's better as a box to box. He has the drive and shooting like Yaya Toure. In fact I think he'll be the next Yaya Toure. Remember, Yaya also played as a CB in his younger years, but ended up as a CM/CDM.

Moreno was meh. I don't have to say much about him as he was quiet. But his crossing is quality. I expect him to end up like he started his career, like a LM/LF.

Lucas wasn't too good. Again I don't have to say much about him. As he didn't do too much defensive or offensively.

Gerrard was bad. I don't understand why Rodgers play him WITH LUCAS. You have to play him with a mobile CM(Henderson,Can or Allen) or don't play him. But he has to do better anyway. He had a 7 day rest, but still he has passing was way off. He just can't play as DM and BR shouldn't play him there. In fact, BR should use him like Lampard. The last 15 minutes in a CAM role.

Henderson was meh. He always is quiet when he plays at wingback. He just doesn't have the pace, pass, cross or dribble to succeed in that role. He still has to offer more, a different position or not. Your passing can't be worse inmediately. We've seen the Henderson of 2012 this season. Always passing to the save option. We need to see the Henderson from 2013 in order to progress. BR needs to find how that Henderson can come back.

Lallana was... I don't have anything to say about him. He was so quiet. I think that was a part of the reason Liverpool struggled so much today

Sterling was playing like Can.

Coutinho was absolute sublime. It seems he has found his form back from 2012-13. He's a joy to watch. I can't wait untill he's something like 25 years old when his game should be at his best. The only thing I wish is that his passing would improve. His throug balls are still a over/under weight.

In short, we weren't good enough. I think we've 40% of the right players to become a regular top 4 side. But will this happen under Rodgers? No, I think he isn't good enough. But we can only talk about a sack in May, except when things are really going bad

PS: I'm a bit tired so I might have made a few or many mistakes.
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2015 12:50:18 am by DutchLiverpoolFan »
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #561: Jan 02, 2015 12:23:37 am
      I think team selection cost us this game today.  Arse lost and Mancs held to a draw.  We had an opportunity to get closer to both.  Still, we move on to the the next game and hope for better.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,190 posts | 8558 
      Reply #562: Jan 02, 2015 12:28:51 am
      sh*te!

Only change Brendan had to make today was Kolo for Skrtel, instead he fucks around with the team again and totally unbalanced us. He if he wanted to rest players he could do that to his hearts content on Monday night.

The collective sitting back at the start of the second half when we get into a lead is starting to piss me off.

We're getting so reliant on Sterling, we're going to end up burning him out.

Our defensive frailties are becoming scary.

Grim day!!

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,505 posts | 1496 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #563: Jan 02, 2015 12:46:02 am
      With all due respect Rush, this isn't just aimed at you sir, many people have been a bit premature with their praise after the Swansea result.

Swansea City were terrible on Monday night, if we are to gauge our progress so far this Season then the Swansea game is a very feeble yardstick to gauge from.
      That's a fair enough point, but Swansea are a better outfit than Leicester, and we outplayed them. True a part of that was down to how bland and negative the Swans were on the night, but a larger part I think, is to do with how we played against them. We kept possession and gave them very little to bite on.

If we could have taken that form into the Leicester game I think we would have won.

The Swans game was arguably our best performance of the season and the other one was against Spurs. I'm asking myself was that due to how poor Swans/Spurs were, or due to how we played? It's hard to judge but I believe it's more a case of how we went about our game.

EDIT: At least I hope so
      jmartin96
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #564: Jan 02, 2015 01:11:28 am
      Was really dissapointed with today, after watching monday night and seeing what was as close as a return to the intensity and high pressing of last season, today was a unexpected dismal performance. We never really got going, lucky for both pens! Ref clearly has Gerrard in his fantasy team.
      Mignolet just looks like a man who feels he's going to concede at every given opportunity. A lot of the team looked very tired.

Can looked very jaded and struggled on the right side without Manquillo there with him.

Kolo was just Kolo,

Sakho impressed me, for the most part looked very composed under pressure a new thing for our defence in recent times.

Moreno made his typical mazy quick runs and linked with Sterling well at times but both struggled to make an impact on the game,

I've said it before and I'll say it again Gerrard and Lucas can't play together. I think we need to offload both Lucas and Allen with Gerrard leaving and start a fresh in the middle of the park.

Coutinho looked good but struggled with none of the players around him looking like making any sort open run.

Lallana looked tired and that was reflected in his relatively early substitution but still gave 100%.

Henderson always has been wasted on the right flank so can't say much about his performance.

And well the less said about the incoming substitutions the better!

YNWA
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #565: Jan 02, 2015 01:19:06 am
      Saw the goals conceded and it's typical when we have Lucas and Stevie on the teamsheet we can expect the opposition to cut into the middle and shoot due the trailing Lucas and Stevie, both slow and nowhere to be found. The more we play the two together the more we are gonna concede goals that way, it's as good as not having both defending the back four. BR still doesn't understand,  say it before and say it again he needs to get a quality DM ala Masc or Hamann, otherwise we are going to conceded goals in similar fashion when Stevie and Lucas in the same team. 

When we look at both goals conceded, it has been rehearsed and rehearsed by City. Simply said when we have Lucas and Stevie together, opposition knows we don't have an effective DM line  and they can breach that anytime to score it's only that BR is too stubborn or naive not to take notice. If he doesn't go out and buy a DM, I'm afraid more goals are going to be conceded by us in similar fashion.

1 step forward and 1 step back. Very dissapointed.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #566: Jan 02, 2015 01:45:20 am
      These are the type of games against lower teams that get you top 4. We blew it once again by conceding soft goals as ever and eventually Arsenal will leave us behind for 4th. They've been very poor themselves this season so it makes it even more annoying to see how we manage to F**k things up when the chance is there to put 3 points in the bag.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #567: Jan 02, 2015 03:04:01 am
      F***ing disgraceful performance at home that was, brutal we gave away a 2 goal leagd even though it was undeserved to begin with.

Said as much after Burnley playing Lucas and Gerrard is an accident waiting to happen it just does not work. Defensively we are a F***ing shamblmes, Lovren cops an absolute mouthful from all and sundry but the performance of Kolo last night was a F***ing embarrassment. Ball watching, shitting out of tackles, poor distribution and one that gets me the most for a player with a wealth of experience poor positioning.

Also what is the burning desire to resort to Borini now when a few weeks back he wasn't even making the bench, terrible substitution that and you could just see the momentum beggining to swing from his introduction.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #568: Jan 02, 2015 06:48:07 am
      My guess is there would be lots of forums of various clubs over the last few days in which fans would have been saying their team were a disgrace. Lots of weird results, lots of teams conceding leads (Man City did it twice), lots of goals flying in as the fixtures piled up.

The important thing is we've gained ground on pretty much everyone bar Spurs, and I'll take that as a plus. We move on, or "go again" as a great man once said.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #569: Jan 02, 2015 08:51:43 am
      All this rotating (during the festive period and all). Brings back memories.  :D
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #570: Jan 02, 2015 10:33:52 am
      Now I've had a day to digest it, I can perhaps reflect on it a better. I understand the need for rotation, but with Lucas and SG, our DM is exposed far too often, by sh*t teams too. If you're going to play SG, you have to stick Hendo or Can next to him, otherwise don't play him at all. Personally, I wouldn't have started him when the previous set up worked so well.

However, nobody covered themselves in glory. Couts and Lallana were our better players, but there were so many poor performances all over the pitch. I guess with so much change and unstability, it's understandable players don't look the msot confident, but seeing normally good players looking so shockingly out of sorts was a worry.

Both goals were preventable imo because in both cases there should have been better DM cover. They had time and space in that area between the edge of the penalty area and midfield circle time and time again. That's where I'd expect to see a DM harrying, closing down, throwing challenges about, but just did not happen.

Bad day in the office, but not a disaster, it was a day of weird results anyway.

Go back to what works for the next game BR.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #571: Jan 02, 2015 10:41:37 am
      Losing a two goal lead at Anfield is a bad day at office period.

Losing it so tamely to the bottom club is utterly infuriating.

Regardless of whom BR picked - this one is on the players.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,425 posts | 3414 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #572: Jan 02, 2015 10:44:55 am
      All this rotating (during the festive period and all). Brings back memories.  :D

Careful, that's a very large can of worms to open...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,190 posts | 8558 
      Reply #573: Jan 02, 2015 12:41:19 pm
      My guess is there would be lots of forums of various clubs over the last few days in which fans would have been saying their team were a disgrace. Lots of weird results, lots of teams conceding leads (Man City did it twice), lots of goals flying in as the fixtures piled up.

The important thing is we've gained ground on pretty much everyone bar Spurs, and I'll take that as a plus. We move on, or "go again" as a great man once said.

Not when as a team as a whole you're going forward one step and back two.

Don't try and dress it up, yesterday was F***ing awful, Leicester are bottom!
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #574: Jan 02, 2015 12:47:34 pm
      Not when as a team as a whole you're going forward one step and back two.

Don't try and dress it up, yesterday was f**king awful, Leicester are bottom!

Yeah we can't dress that up, we were sh*te plain and simple.

It was always going to be a disjointed game as the last of the close seasonal fixtures but take everything else away at 2-0 up the players should have been able and should be able to manage those games better

The players in that position of any game have got to look at themselves in the mirror and ask themselves questions

Piss poor
      « Last Edit: Jan 02, 2015 01:04:01 pm by Paisleydalglish »

Quick Reply